366px-M4A3E2_Jumbo_Garage.jpg332px-M4A3E2JumboFrance_Garage.jpg335px-M4A3E2_Cobra_King_Garage.jpg

American M4A3E2                                                                        French M4A3E2                                                           American "Cobra King"

Image source

Firstly, WT created a guide on how to kill the Jumbo. You can check that out as well as this if you'd like. I added some pictures here from that video and gave credit. 

There are many threads created, saying the Jumbo is too OP, needs to moved up BR and is really hard to kill. So I have created this thread so everyone who struggles against the Jumbo can get some tips. You can post here asking questions.

The Jumbo is a heavy tank that comes in at 4.3 BR, for America and France. The BR for AB and RB is 4.7. For RB, the max BR this tank can face is 5.7 and lowest 3.7. It is, no denying it, a very good tank in terms of armour. Although, no tank is impenetrable and this the same for the Jumbo. 

You may think the Jumbo is indestructible, but it has several weak points. Below I will explain the most reliable and effective way to kill the Jumbo using a tank that cannon pen its front hull and mantlet straight out. 

General information when fighting the Jumbo

In these demonstrations I am using the Pz. H at 4.7, which is the same BR as the Jumbo. I'm using the APCBC shell, that has 136 mm of pen at 10 m. I advise you to use APCBC when fighting the Jumbo. The Pz. K2 is 3.7 - the APCBC has 135 mm of pen at 10 m, so it is completely possible to kill a Jumbo with that tank too.

Places you cannot pen

(Picture courtesy of WT's official video: How to destroy the Jumbo?)

1. The front hull - you cannot penetrate the shaded area in this picture. (apart from the MG port)

2. The front mantlet  - you cannot pen this area.

Spoiler

image.png.5a1eefa526f299a1b333947906c775

image.thumb.png.59312634f71231c5ef66a610

Tanks that can pen these areas

Spoiler

Tanks that can pen this and ammunition [Between 3.7 and 5.7]

These are tanks between 3.7 and 5.7 that can penetrate the Jumbo. Obviously, it may not be 100% reliable, but it's possible.

USA

-All M4 variants between 3.7 and 5.7 (APCBC)

-M10 GMC (APCBC)

-M18 GMC (APCBC)

-M36 GMC (APCBC)

-M24 (APCBC)

Germany

-8.8 cm Flak (APCBC)

-All Pz.IV variants (APCBC)

-All Tank destroyerrs (APCBC)

-Tiger

-Panther

Soviet

-All T-34 variants (APHEBC, APHE)

-All KV variants (APHEBC)

-All IS variants (APHEBC

-All tank destroyers (APHEBC, APHE)

Britain

-All 3.7 - 5.7 tanks

Japan

-All 3.7 - 5.7 tanks (APHE)

France

-All 3.7 - 5.7 tanks 

Weak point #1

MG port

The MG port is one of the Jumbo's main weaknesses. Here I am using the Panzer H (4.7) with the shell APCBC. This shell can penetrate the Jumbo's MG port. This can be done at a 45 degree angle, it does not just pen at 90 degrees. If the enemy is using bushes to cover it up, try to memorise the location of the port. If you're facing a Jumbo head to head where you are both exposed to each other, the MG port is most likely the easiest part to kill it. Even shooting the MG port at a large angle can still result in damaging crew.

Spoiler

image.png.6b730e59522e4f88f5cb4111c52401image.png.349b850d441d9fbe7a9ce216c9dd09

As you can see this is wide angle but it still kills in one shot using APCBC.

Spoiler

image.png.9531b9e4874cf22591099e72802a82image.png.1e053bae3f61933b802a6364bbf2b0

Weak point #2 

Track pen

You can pen the side of the track and the shell will often go through and kill 99% of the time. I tried this with the Pz. F2 at 3.7 and it is fully capable. 

Spoiler

image.png.7f070f6165bdc300af7a84485bbed4image.png.3e0d122c95336527a8c4ac6b6de7aa

Weak point #3

The cupola

The cupola is a weak point in any tank that has one, and it is the same for the jumbo. You should really use APCBC for this so that the post pen effect explodes the entire crew and kills them. Most of the time you'll kill some crew, but another shot will kill everyone.

Spoiler

image.png.604272b7ea56f26ea929ccb3893392

Weak point #4

The side armour

The side armour is the weakest point, but you need to get to the side of the Jumbo to be able to kill it from there. Aim for this read area when hitting side shots. You can also aim for below the tracks, as the ammo is stored under there.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.7d5a062f181834720da0c921

Weak point #5

Below the mantlet

If you're lucky, you can ricochet your round from the mantlet into the tank's chassis which is only 20 mm thick. this will kill the crew instantly. This shot is a little harder and unreliable, but it is still possible.

Spoiler

image.png.a346a27d6af722dac762e8f4b0f666

Be sure to discuss and ask further questions about the Jumbo.

If I've missed anything, feel free to let me know.

Edited by magazine2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

Let's not forget, The Trap shot on the Mantlet which can ricochet into the top chasis.

I also like to mention certain vehicles in 4.7 or below that are capable for frontally penning the Jumbo which i would recommend using if you wanna take out a Jumbo more easily.

Dicker Max- with it's 105mm gun & penetrates over 200mm's which has no problem frontally killing the Jumbo.

M4A4 SA50 Super Sherman- with it's 180mm penetrating APCBC round, it's capable of penetrating the Jumbo's turret & can penetrate the hull in close range.

Any of the 150-152mm Howitzer tanks (Sturmpanzer, Ho-Ro, Brummbar, KV-2, Lorraine 155)- Sturmpanzer & Brummbar has the HEAT rounds with 185mm penetration but even with just High Explosive is powerful enough to either heavily cripple or instantly kill the Jumbo.

medal medal medal medal

2 hours ago, magazine2 said:

Weak point #4

The side armour

The side armour is the weakest point, but you need to get to the side of the Jumbo to be able to kill it from there. Aim for this read area when hitting side shots.

4I9AqQr.jpg

If you can get the perfect sideshot - you CAN go for the 76.2mm Upper-Hull - but for the secured Kill, go for the lower section (even AAA can go through here).

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, *cartman400 said:

Let's not forget, The Trap shot on the Mantlet which can ricochet into the top chasis.

its a very hard shot in the jumbo, the chanse to get a shottrap is very low and you should not rely on it.

medal

1 hour ago, *cartman400 said:

I also like to mention certain vehicles in 4.7 or below that are capable for frontally penning the Jumbo which i would recommend using if you wanna take out a Jumbo more easily.

Dicker Max- with it's 105mm gun & penetrates over 200mm's which has no problem frontally killing the Jumbo.

M4A4 SA50 Super Sherman- with it's 180mm penetrating APCBC round, it's capable of penetrating the Jumbo's turret & can penetrate the hull in close range.

Any of the 150-152mm Howitzer tanks (Sturmpanzer, Ho-Ro, Brummbar, KV-2, Lorraine 155)- Sturmpanzer & Brummbar has the HEAT rounds with 185mm penetration but even with just High Explosive is powerful enough to either heavily cripple or instantly kill the Jumbo.

Thanks for the tips - these vehicles can definitely pen the Jumbo from the front. Although, I mainly created this guide for people having issues penning the Jumbo with tanks that are a little bit harder to kill it with, such as the Panzers and other similar tanks below and around 4.7. :salute:

32 minutes ago, Noir89 said:

Spoiler

4I9AqQr.jpg

If you can get the perfect sideshot - you CAN go for the 76.2mm Upper-Hull - but for the secured Kill, go for the lower section (even AAA can go through here).

Yep - i'll clarify this in the original post, thanks!

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Nice post.
Jumbo vs Jumbo, I just aim at the cupola (wiggling between shots) and charge his side when my shot has killed 3 crews or at least the gunner (if the enemy tank is close enough).
If my tank has not much armor, I generally prefer to "dance" around the enemy jumbo for a side-shot.

• Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 3 weeks later...

Was in combat vs jumbo last week or so...

Teammate with Challenger one shotted it, apparently from the front...is this "normal"? How?

Challenger was near me and Jumbo was AT LEAST 500m away, we were both firing at it...i think i was using flakwagon...

Was impossible for me to differentiate weak points as target was very small (and under cover)...but front was towards us...

I have a tank with 17pdr gun (Achiles) and thought (from experience) that Jumbo was frontally "invulnerable" to it...is it not?

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/01/2019 at 15:07, *GhostSoph said:

Was in combat vs jumbo last week or so...

Teammate with Challenger one shotted it, apparently from the front...is this "normal"? How?

(...)

I have a tank with 17pdr gun (Achiles) and thought (from experience) that Jumbo was frontally "invulnerable" to it...is it not?

Just found out the answer to my own question...

Challenger has AN ADDITIONAL type of AMMO (APDS) that Achilles does not have...which has enough penetration to pierce Jumbo front armor...

Not all 17pdr guns are the same, apparently...unfortunately i think the two other tanks i have (can buy at least...not enough SLs) with 17pdr also dont have APDS (Firefly and Avenger)

Edited by *GhostSoph
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

as for the tiger: standerd APCBC is NOT ENOUGH to pen jumbo's UFP unless you are literally DIRECTLY flat-on and even then its up to chance(a very low chance). I can attest to that having an expert spaded jumbo and tiger, Ive eaten medium 88 shells fro breakfast on the jumbo with minimal angling (5 degrees), and screamed in anger at jumbos I failed to pen in my early days of tiger driving back when I had 5.7 german ground and nothing else.

HOWEVER, you can easily pen the transmission with an APCBC if aiming for the flat part of the curve, and since you almost always have APCBC loaded, unless you are confident enough to either go fot the track rickochet, commander cupola, or the mg port when you are facing it frontally, put your first shot here you the jumbo can't abuse its high tier wiggle strategy that makes it impossible to hit the mg port. from here, APCBC into mg port, flank slightly for a through track side shot.

in case of a jumbo 76, unload your APHE round unless in a state where you can confidently peek and shoot it into a weak spot, or its a straight on side shot to the hull. load APCR, ain straight at the turret flat on (possibly firing MG to get him to turn turret towars you if you are ballsy) and take out the gunner first as the 76 is scary and you can only relyably bounce them at a PERFECT angling configuration.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

How to kill a Jumbo? Easy answer, put me in it!

For real though, this has to be the first and foremost frustrating part of this game. I have all 3 Jumbos, and ALWAYS seem to get taken out with one shot. Meanwhile, when I confront a Jumbo with a Tiger, Panzer IV (70), (of course usually head-on) I could literally throw all my ammo of every type at it while it sits there and laughs at me. All while trying to hit that tiny wiggly little MG port. 

Rant over...

Edited by _Smokehouse

1 hour ago, _Smokehouse said:

when I confront a Jumbo with a Tiger, Panzer IV (70), (of course usually head-on) I could literally throw all my ammo of every type at it while it sits there and laughs at me. All while trying to hit that tiny wiggly little MG port. 

Jagdpanzer IV/70 has a Panther gun which just shoots through the Hull. Tiger I need to be at 300-400m to pen the Hull of Jumbo - but u still can go through the Cuppola (which is also a weakspot even for 76mm T34's).

I dont like the Mg Port too much its kind of unreliable and easy to hide with 3d bushes.

Edited by Noir89
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

3 hours ago, _Smokehouse said:

How to kill a Jumbo? Easy answer, put me in it!

For real though, this has to be the first and foremost frustrating part of this game. I have all 3 Jumbos, and ALWAYS seem to get taken out with one shot. Meanwhile, when I confront a Jumbo with a Tiger, Panzer IV (70), (of course usually head-on) I could literally throw all my ammo of every type at it while it sits there and laughs at me. All while trying to hit that tiny wiggly little MG port. 

Rant over...

One other option is to track and scoot... if the Jumbo is moving then it will often slew side-on when tracked. You may not get the kill but any nearby friendlies may get the opportunity of a side shot. It's a bit situational but sometimes is the only practical shot.

medal medal medal medal

• 7 months later...