Are the majority of British ships useless?

Skreezilla

So been putting the RN Rank 1 ships through a few games now and i am coming to the conclusion that about 6 out of 9 really under perform, now of course this is just my opinion how ever with say 10 games played using the British ships i will lose 8 games on average, when i play other nations i would say it is more 5 / 10 I feel that it is possible i am bringing the team down due to how bad my boats are. 
Things like the corvettes really underwhelm and feel out of place, the Dark Class ships tend to feel like they under perform compared to counter parts of other nations. And anything using only 7.7 Lewis guns is a poor joke as you can pepper a wooden boat for hours before causing any damage. I have also noticed the *all modules black yet enemy is still fine bug has come back too, I have a hand full of times using the larger guns carrying HE shells turned a whole boat black and had it not die. But then if i am moaning about this i should also moan how hitting the front of a ship multiple times with a 102mm HE shell should do more than just turning it black* 

Glancing across everything below Destroyer in the British tech tree it feels like it will really under perform especially compared to the automatic artillery systems, instead of modern patrol ships such as the peacock or xxxx class we just have countless Fairmile's which have little difference between each other and only minor improvements. 

If we were to have Nation V Nation battles the British teams would likely lose horribly every game. And it is a real shame because there are some really interesting ships and boats in the Royal Navy. I am glad the Flower and Isles class are in the game but in the current game mode they do not make sense, These ships were not built to knife fight with small coastal boats they were to guard the merchants, in their current position they have very limited effectiveness and frankly are not fun to play in either Arcade or Realistic battles. And is that not your main goal to make this fun? not just a frustrating unenjoyable experience which frankly the Royal Navy feels like at the current moment. (and Naval in a whole what with the plane issues, the torpedo issues: ie torpedo's not needing to arm. The pure unbalanced nature of matches, and the grind through vehicles you do not want to use, along with repetitive game modes. But again they are for another complain.) 

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

The Dark Class MTB is first good one I've seen in line up only because it has a Bofors with 500 rounds of ammo in the belt somehow, and its on the front of the ship

But ya every other ship I've tried so far have been extremely overtiered or worthless

Edited by Neokolzia
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

They certainly lack behind the other nations but they are not useless. They are more difficult to play since the lower tier stuff especially lacks the fire power than the other nations. But they are certainly not useless. 

19 hours ago, Razielkaine said:

I have all the nations ship trees to tier 4 amd the xomplete brit tree minus a xouple pt boats and they have easily been the easiest most fun to play.  Unlocked the enterprise in 2 days.

19 hours ago, Josephs_Piano said:

No, they are not.

While playing what boats did you use to grind out the tree?  Main reason i ask is if you played multiple games with things like the Corvettes, and Rank 1 patrol boats?  

And i do encourage people to paste why they are not? because if you only used say the Haida and the DD's and not things like the Vospers, Fairmile A/ B, Dark class FPB1101, the Corvettes then you may have missed the horror of playing these boats. I feel it is similar in most nations there are many boats that are simply hopeless and serve no purpose other than making the grind take longer because of the current meta of autocannons. The British boats tend to rely upon large caliber cannons which hit an enemy boat and do little more than turning a section black, where in reality the shell would blow the front of that boat clean off so it really effects their usability. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

I used and aced everything using fast firing guns except only a few i didnt need to progress further.  Anything with 20mm and 40mm guns as primariy are extrememly good at killing other ot boats and torpedos kill everything no matter the size.   Also the flower class was a beast as well despite it looking deceptively bad. The 6pdr HE i also found could do quite well one shotring pt boats when aiming at the bridge.  I orefer the faster firinf 20 and 40 mm but the 6pdr was far from useless.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Hi Skreezilla, currently the British ships are garbage because the ammunition is stored where the enemy will shoot at... at the front of the boats, above the waterline. So basically they are useless as soon as they are spotted by the enemy :( 

• Upvote 1

The British ships tend to have a lot of ammo. Reduce the amount you take on the game menu. There's no reason for a 3-pounder to need 300 rounds. I usually take 150. It's the same as the tanks; reducing ammo reduces your ammo storage, often below the waterline.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal

The MTB-1 1 series and the Vosper 1 series are mediocre to terrible compared to their peers.  Having only 7.7mm gun armament is useless and the MTB-1 1series is quite slow.

The Vosper 2 series is pretty good, I have good success with this boat.  It may not have the raw firepower of an S-38 but it is comparable and it has good speed and is a small target.

The Fairmile A (ML100) is just awful.  Horrible armament, slow, big target.

The MGB-61 is glorious.  I know it doesn't have torpedoes but it's 4 liquid cooled vickers HMGs TEARS stuff up and it is a small and quick boat, making it difficult to hit, as well as allowing you to really maneuver around islands to maximum ability

The Dark class (FPB 1101) is utterly useless.  Sure it has the giant gun upfront, but good luck hitting anything with it.  Even at point blank range it is a challenge.  It is also a really tall target, and has no torpedos.

The Farmile B (ML345) is okay.  The bow 3 pounder has a slow rate of fire and isn't terribly accurate...if you do hit anything it does very little damage.  It is also painfully slow.  However, the three 20mm guns aft does give it real firepower.

The Isles class.  Actually, the speed and armament is fine, but it is just such a GIGANTIC target.  Everyone shoots at you, and whilst you have a metal hull and a fairly large crew, when EVERYONE is shooting at you, you tend not to last too long.  To be fair it's actually a lot like playing a Char B2.  You get pounded forever, smite a few things, and eventually succumb to an ocean of pinpricks.

The Flower class.  Same positive and negatives as the Isles.  I love the aft 2pdr.  And generally you are going to come out ahead.  However, everybody bombs you in this thing.  That's not so easy to shrug off.

Dark class FPB 1102.  Fast, four torpedos and a bofors 40mm you can shoot for like five minutes straight. This is a pretty good piece of kit, my only complaint is that the fire rate on the bofors is pretty slow and with no other armament you really have to pay attention to the sky as well as the surface.

Farmile D (617)  and here we begin with the glaring weakness of Tier 2 British boats.  The 57mm 6pdr 7cwt QF mk 11A mounting.  I believe this is referred to as the Mollins gun.  Regardless it's crap.  Look, it has an excellent rate of fire for a 57mm and it is actually fairly accurate, the problem is that it hits with the tremendous force of a light breeze.  I mean you can hit something like an S-38 with ten of these "HE" bullets and it will then turn it's two 20mm guns on murder your bigger and heavier Farmile D and then carry on.  The projectiles for this gun are useless and since it is this gun that gives the Fairmile D it's "strength" you have no strength at all.

SGB (S304) Glorious.  This ship is WONDERFUL.  Tons of firepower and a METAL HULL that significantly reduces 20mm and 12.7mm projectile's effectiveness against you.  This is the BEST British Small craft by a mile and it is the only British small boat that feels like it might be under BR.  

Brave class (p1011).  Really, really fast, two bofors you can fire for five minutes straight and four torpedos.  It is a great deal of fun to play and is situationally excellent.  However it is incredibly fragile and as you have no dedicated AA armament is extremely susceptible to death by strafing.  Most planes can strafe this thing to death in ONE pass.  And the bofors don't hit that hard.  In gun duels you are most likely going to lose to everything with the same BR.  So, overall, a situational machine that is largely frustrating to play.

Fairmile D (697) And Fairmile D (5001) The only difference between the tech tree and the premium is the premium gets two larger torpedos.  A largely insignificant factor.  These are the worst 3.7 Small boats in the game.  They have a big crew and ostensibly a lot of firepower, but you run into the very real problem that the mk 11A mounting shoots spitwads.  A few matches ago I caught a Type 140/141 napping and put TEN of the 57mm HE projectiles in it, spread evenly from bow to stern..then it noticed me and blew me to pieces in three seconds and then carried on and murdered a couple of my other teammates.  This ship is garbage at 3.7.  A joke.  These two ships make me want to punch babies, eat puppies, and drown kittens.

Farimile C (312).  This is a pretty good boat, thoroughly adequate at 2.7.  It's slow, and has no torpedos, but it has excellent firepower.  Well good firepower, I find the Rolls Royce 2pdr to be worse than any 20mm in the game.

Fairmile D (601).  No crappy 57mm here.  Instead you get the brilliant 2pdr "pom-pom"  Still, probably could do with being dropped to 3.0.  The 2pdr is great if you fight people one at a time.  It has a terrible reload rate after you shot your ready 42 rounds.  So if you haven't killed everything you are fighting by then, they will tear you to pieces while you reload.

Fairmile C (332).  It's slow, and a pretty big target, but you have really good firepower.  The two Pom-poms do take a while to reload, but at least you have TWO of them, and they are backed up by a LOT of 20mm guns.  This is a thoroughly adequate to situationally excellent 3.3.  

Clemson (L45).  Okay, this is the worst 3.7 destroyer in the game, bar none.  However, it's kind of not terrible.  I mean, if you are fighting other destroyers you will lose every time.  It has pathetic firepower for dealing with ships of any size.  BUT, it is bristling with 20mm and 12.7mm guns and you can just WRECK small craft with this thing.  So, if you can get a match where you aren't uptiered and you can make it alive into the close quarter islands...this ship can be a lot of fun.  On the other hand... it's basically a big gunboat that spawns at destroyer spawn.  Thus making it terrible overall.

G-class (H89).  This boat should be 3.7.  That being said it is definitely better than the both of the American Clemsons.  Of course both of those boats should be 3.7.  All in all it is a pretty good ship as it's four main guns are pretty good and it has 8 torpedos.  I found this ship surprisingly easy to spade and if I have a reason to play at 4.0 instead of 4.3 do not mind going into battle with this thing.  That being said it is probably on par with the Frunze and type 39, both of which are 3.7.  And it is most definitely worse than the Farragut and the Pr. 159

Tribal (F75).  A thoroughly mediocre 4.3 destroyer.  Nothing good, but nothing terrible about this ship.

N Class (G25).  This is an unremarkable 4.3 tech tree destroyer.  However, that does not mean it is bad or anything.  This ship can compete with any 4.3 destroyer.  It doesn't have the firepower of some of the premiums at close range, but it is a nice enough ship that can bring the pain in the hands of a skilled player.  I have good success with this ship and I enjoy playing it as my tertiary 4.3

Haida (G63)  The WORST premium destroyer, without question.  That being said it's actually a pretty good destroyer.  The 4.7mm AP ammunition's  Armor Pen stinks, but you can put a LOT of them downrange fast.  It has a good AA armament and some pretty substantial secondary guns.  I also love the paint job.  A not exciting, not terrible ship, that will help you win games.

Battle (D14).  Glorious.  A beautiful ship that just pummels everything.  It's like a guaranteed top five finish if you just spawn in this thing.  It's one weakness is that all of it's 4.5 inch guns are up front and I have a Pr 159 knock both out rapidly before dismantling me many times.  But this ship is truly great and a joy to play.

HMS Enterprise.  It's better than the Omaha, worse than the Emden, and probably on par ish with the Krazny Kavkaz.  The best thing about this ship is that it is CHEAP to repair, so you can basically play it as much as you want.  The down side is that the magazines are lined with balsa wood and phosphorous.  Seriously, I get magazined in this thing ALL THE TIME.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 6
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 2 months later...

Having played through the rank 1 British naval tree, I can no longer say that Rank 1 French tanks are the worst balanced vehicles in the game.

This is just another example of Gaijin filling BR holes with boats from the era, rather than finding a way to make match-ups balanced.  It doesn't take a whole of imagination to balance the game ... reduce the BR spread, decrease/increase rates of fire ... there's lot of options.

But one thing is for certain, when you're creating a match-up using a boat made of flashpaper equipped only with 7.62mm MGs and it is facing ships with 40mm and 20mm cannons, that is a no-win scenario -- that is when the matchmaker has decided if you get RP or not.

The 1.0 BR spread has been this game's own worst enemy for many years and is undoubtedly the biggest factor that causes people to quit.  The only time you get a fair match is when you've been uptiered for multiple games and have lost at least 5? in a row.  It is honestly too bad that Gaijin take input seriously on their English forums like they do on the Russian boards.

Edited by Caelib
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal

Did no one play through tier 1 Britain enough to get the the Dark Class MGB with the derp gun? you are missing out this thing hits other patrol boats so hard they literally snap in half. in fact Britain is the only nation thus far to have large calibers in tier 1 load up that HE and blow them away.

Edited by Royal_Jellybags
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 19/11/2018 at 18:14, Conte_Baracca said:

The MGB-61 is glorious.  I know it doesn't have torpedoes but it's 4 liquid cooled vickers HMGs TEARS stuff up and it is a small and quick boat, making it difficult to hit, as well as allowing you to really maneuver around islands to maximum ability
(...)

I actually was not sure why...but was having good results with this boat...way better than i expected...(didn't catch this phrase originally)...

Its firepower can do lots of damage to boats that were impervious before...

So...some good gems in the Brit grey navy...

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/05/2019 at 17:51, *GhostSoph said:

I actually was not sure why...but was having good results with this boat...way better than i expected...(didn't catch this phrase originally)...

Its firepower can do lots of damage to boats that were impervious before...

So...some good gems in the Brit grey navy...

Are there gonna be new boats after 1.89 or just the new cruisers?

medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, Truths2Hard4You said:

Are there gonna be new boats after 1.89 or just the new cruisers?

So far only a cruiser, maybe theyll reveal something else but don't hold your breath

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 3 months later...
On 24/08/2019 at 16:21, blackbeard_teach said:

trying early boats.

they got 4X7mm machines, useless by all means.

never had trouble with americans, russians, and germans, since they all use 50cal and above, even with all out AP belt, the 7mm don't do much dmg

No, mostly they just tickle your opponents and warn them that you are there. To actually kill something with them you need about 8 7.7mm guns shooting at your target for a very long time

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Best not to judge from the starter ships as quickly they become redundant even if only going as far as 2.0 (Dark Class is awesome if you know to use the 40mm as your main).

However I agree that before the better Destroyers come in (i.e. NOT the Churchill) there are many dud vessels.

Only decent ones are the Darks, the Vosper 2, the SGB, possibly the Brave (i find it too outclassed now), and possibly the 2.7 Fairmiles if they are top tier.

The collection of Fairmiles are so poorly balanced they could easily remove them and not effect a Brit player in any way.

Some tasty Destroyers, except I find they have the most frustrating torpedo launchers (apart from that horrendous first Japanese destroyer).

Edited by Deranger79

On 02/09/2019 at 18:07, Deranger79 said:

Best not to judge from the starter ships as quickly they become redundant even if only going as far as 2.0 (Dark Class is awesome if you know to use the 40mm as your main).

However I agree that before the better Destroyers come in (i.e. NOT the Churchill) there are many dud vessels.

Only decent ones are the Darks, the Vosper 2, the SGB, possibly the Brave (i find it too outclassed now), and possibly the 2.7 Fairmiles if they are top tier.

The collection of Fairmiles are so poorly balanced they could easily remove them and not effect a Brit player in any way.

Some tasty Destroyers, except I find they have the most frustrating torpedo launchers (apart from that horrendous first Japanese destroyer).

anything using 40mm or mutiple as main armament is great, love the SGB.  the flower class i fell in love with, couldnt get enough of that beast. the american destroyer is garbage and not worth using ever!!!!!!!  the line from there on for me is the easiest and most fun to grind through.  the ability to go bow on and still fire on the enemy with most your guns cant be overstated, this also means your the hardest target to hit when surrounded by allies.  inmy experience they are the most agile and responsive destroyers and the amazing accuracy and reload is such a beautiful balance that it ruined me for the other trees which i cant play more then a few battles in.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

29 minutes ago, Razielkaine said:

anything using 40mm or mutiple as main armament is great, love the SGB.  the flower class i fell in love with, couldnt get enough of that beast. the american destroyer is garbage and not worth using ever!!!!!!!  the line from there on for me is the easiest and most fun to grind through.  the ability to go bow on and still fire on the enemy with most your guns cant be overstated, this also means your the hardest target to hit when surrounded by allies.  inmy experience they are the most agile and responsive destroyers and the amazing accuracy and reload is such a beautiful balance that it ruined me for the other trees which i cant play more then a few battles in.

I really have issues with accuracy (AB), it might be dependant on angle and particular ships but I find very few of the guns hit when I do get on target.

I agree the forward placement of guns is an advantage, unless the enemy takes them out in their first strikes.

I still find the 40mm semi automatics uninspiring on the 3.3 vessels, even though the very same guns on the Grey Fox make it a beast!

Edited by Deranger79

35 minutes ago, Fungusar_DK said:

And a 71ft 6ins MGB as a premium.

That comment was in reference to patch 1.89 which Britain only got the HMS Southampton and was the upcoming patch at the time, not 1.91.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal