Ouiche

[Development] New repair and damage mechanics in Ground Vehicle Realistic Battles

Best answer

We would like to add a small explanation and emphasize, once again that the purpose of the changes is to make the game in vehicles with unresearched modifications more enjoyable.

We do not plan to change the basics of the gameplay in RB with these changes nor how any damage caused affects the game situation. Now, if you have caused functional damage to an enemy, you have some time to destroy him fully but if you did not succeed in doing this the enemy will be able to repair after some time and become dangerous to you again. You still cannot count on the absence of the modification "parts" from the enemy when you fight them. This will remain in the new mechanics, only that those who have not researched the modification will have an improved chance, for example, to get to a capture point and fix it there or approach an ally who can help with the repair and sometimes cover you in a hopeless situation.

We are ready to consider various options for these mechanics based on the results of discussions, for example, to do something with damaged gun barrels for a period of time (comparable to the repair kit/parts) in complete disabling of firing, or not to change the mechanics of damaged weapons at all and return only mobility. In our experience the designated critical damage to a gun is serious enough so we decided that it was possible to implement it for RB in this way. But a significant amount of criticism in the mechanics associated with weapons makes us think about other options. Therefore, we expect practical constructive proposals and dialogue from you.

19 minutes ago, Mattia_7 said:

i dont like this idea

Can you explain why you do not like this idea? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

No, no and NO!

I don't want anyone to shot me without a barrel like in ab!

If it's damaged you CANNOT SHOOT. And that's it!

Same thing with engines (etc), i don't want them miraculously regain their functionality without repair.

For example

If you are in kv-2 and shoot someone leaving 2 crew members, they would never get repairs in time for you not to end them with second shot.

Now with magically 20s on engine, they will just run away. 

Not to mention some top tier tanks with 1500 hp, they will be still very mobile with black engine..

Another one

If you are in tank destroyer and some fast tank come at yuo and if you hit his gun he have to stop for repairs.

Now he will just drive around you and pray for lucky shot, as you can not do ****

Repairs should not be possible on moving!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 46
medal medal medal

15 minutes ago, Zahltag said:

Many people will probably criticize this in a bad way, but after thinking about this for a bit I came to the conclusion that this is the best possible solution for the stock problem! Realistic or not, this will definitely make tank rb way less frustrating, which I am glad about! Thank you for listening to the community!

I agree with your remark. Stock syndrome is too big of an issue unsolved for too much time.

• Sad 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 minute ago, Stona said:

Not him, but personally I don't like it, because this mechanic will turn RB into "Arcade without markers" quite literally. Yeah, I know that engines are buffed in AB, but that's not one of the core mechanics of the game.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 18
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Make the game more interesting for non-upgraded vehicles is good,but this will change the way we play now. Playing with or against TD's without turret (T28,  Jagdtiger ,  AMX-50 Fuch, and other big Irons ...  ) and all that tank that we disable traverse gear blocks turrets battle and elevation gear in a fight arent disable like before...  Looks a big change and a good change for non-upgraded vehicles.

• Sad 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I like the idea, but not the execution; but i'll wait to try it before I pass judgement fully.   However I'll be honest and say I'm not sure Ab mechanics in RB are the best way to go. 

I would have preferred one of the following:

• Stock tanks get 1 Repair only.
    • Researching parts get current unlimited repairs
  • My personal favourite: Stock tanks get 1 partial repair kit only.
    • Can be used to fix ONE damaged sector only once:
      • i.e. Drive train: Make yourself mobile again to get to the point (@reduced mobility)
      • i.e. Gunnery equipment: Fix the gun so that it can fire (more shots after quick repair = higher chance of failure)
      • i.e. Turret rotation: Enable turret rotation at a reduced deg/s
      • Returning to the point/spawn zone will allow full repair as per normal
  • Stock tanks get 1 repair kit, repairs will fail after a timer.
    • timer would be a few minutes long to enable tank to get to a cap point/spawn zone

And for the FPE, stock tanks get 1 FPE kit only.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 14
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I think that ide is OK but too ABish.

I think that it should not get automatically fixed in 20s or so. I'd rather see crew w/o parts to be able to restore modules to condition described (aka partial usability) and then you can go into capped zone to repair.
This would give more attention to repair skill of crews even w/o tools plus would give me choice to either retreat or stand still while I spend 30-60s repairing my barrel or elevation mechanism to partial use or whether to shoot while immobile or try to restore gearbox to at least get some mobility back.

Maybe description is not precise enough but I think now I can just drive around with gun destroyed and it will magically repair itself somehow or I can stay and shoot while my gearbox is fantastically getting back together.

To sum up: I think repair should be repair and should work the same with and without tools in general principle. Difference should be that with tools part will regain full functionality and w/o them only partial.
also parts should allow to repair partially damaged modules to full capacity as well - something that's not always the case nowdays.

EDIT:
To clarify - I think parts  should be gone alltogether and no option to repair should be possible but if this idea have to be implemented then at least I prefer it to be less magical

Edited by przybysz86
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 15
medal medal medal

I hate the idea that tanks with damaged engine and/or transmission can actually still drive. Its so frustrating if a tank goes back into cover before I have reloaded.

For some reason real. tank battles are moving more and more in the direction of arcade. I'm not a big fan, but it is what it is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 20

@Stona 

A destroyed barrel inflicts significant penalties when fired: a 20-fold increase in shot dispersion and shells have 2 times less armour piercing and muzzle velocity.

can you please explain what does the "fold" mean?

Stona (Posted )

20 times
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

No, no and NO!

I don't want anyone to shot me without a barrel like in ab!

If it's damaged you CANNOT SHOOT. And that's it!

Same thing with engines (etc), i don't want them miraculously regain their functionality without repair.

For example

If you are in kv-2 and shoot someone leaving 2 crew members, they would never get repairs in time for you not to end them with second shot.

Now with magically 20s on engine, they will just run away. 

Not to mention some top tier tanks with 1500 hp, they will be still very mobile with black engine..

If you are in tank destroyer and some fast tank come at yuo and if you hit his gun he have to stop for repairs.

Now he will just drive around you and 

• Upvote 14
medal medal medal

For the quick field repairs will it work in the same way as normal repairs so that the player's vehicle must be stationary and the player must initiate the repair or does the repair start automatically once a module has been critically damaged and a player can continue maneuvering while repairs are taking place apart from engine/transmission repairs?

• Upvote 4
medal medal medal medal

@Stona How about Gun breech?  I would like to see arcade system that if gun is damaged enough there is a chance that it dosent fire,so gunner has to manually again arm it. If im not wrong this take 1-2s in arcade,cant quite remember so long time when i last played arcade tanks.

Edited by Wallia_Marseille
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Really people can you stop with "This is making RB a glorified AB" the penality is quite severe so it wont be like it would make skill less rewarding. And realistic argument is invalid because IRL you aren't able to repair engine/gun after 30seconds.

So Gaijin :good: for this.

Also what about FPE?

Edited by ShadowRangerCZ
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 3
  • Upvote 4
medal medal

Looks pretty fantastic so far, will there be any provisions made for FPE (i.e. either adding a 1 charge FPE stock, or making the upgrade automatic FPE/adding a short period of immunity to fire time to upgraded FPE to simulate fire retardant material inundating the engine and fuel tanks preventing proper oxidization to take effect)?

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

So I have one suggestion about fire prevention;

I've been playing for years now, and gotten used to the No Parts and Fire prevention for years now, grown to it you might say.

Most of tanks (not saying all) had their own way of putting out fires;

For stock tanks, why not have 1 fire prevention and system in place, and upgraded version of Fire prevention adds an extra use to the FPE (or up to 3 maybe?)

Most/All Tank crews (United States) had a method of putting out fires such as the HFE system (ref: https://www.nist.gov/sites/default/files/documents/el/fire_research/R0601286.pdf )

PZUnqZz.png

Tanks such as the Abrams Tank had those inside aswell.

I know when people provide links to websites they want as much evidence as possible

The US department of labor September 12, 1986 required everyone (including the department of defense) to have training with HFE systems/(all) fire prevent systems. (ref: https://www.osha.gov/laws-regs/standardinterpretations/1986-09-12)

In fairness, we should have single use Fire prevention system for anything with the year '86 and newer, (and hopefully the older tanks as well.)

[As per say in the united states not speaking for all nations]

Hopefully we get something similar for all nations at best.

• Upvote 8

I don't like this... Sounds like arcade battles to me. This is one of the reasons I stopped playing arcade. I would damage someone and they would still kill me. Please don't add this, please. You have done your duty as far as parts and FPE. I am doing the stock grind for the leopard 2a4 and it is fine. No problems than burning down once and that is natural because I just unlocked the vehicle. I haven't even finished the free repairs and I have parts already and almost FPE. Again, please don't add this. You have listened to our requests now don't be bullied again. If these people don't like it they can switch to arcade.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Upvote 8
medal medal medal medal

Changes to make stock grind more bearable are welcome (changes regarding FPE, such as one fire extinguishing being possible without FPE unlocked would be nice!).

But please look into making module and crew damage more meaningful. Right now, vehicles that have been immobilized can often start moving again before a slow reloading gun can even reload one shell. A dead gunner is replaced in mere seconds and the vehicle can then shoot again as if nothing had happened despite losing a crucial crew member. While this is fine in AB, RB suffers from these arcade mechanics.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

15 minutes ago, Stona said:

because if you damage the cannon of a tiger for example with this new system he can still shoot a you, yes it has decreased pen but if you have a light armored tank he can kill you and this is not skill based in my opinion. And this arcade style system is not what the realistic mode need 

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 12
medal medal medal

As a mechanical engineer it may annoy me to see a component still working when it has been obliterated by a high velocity shell, but for improved gameplay I think I am optimistic this is a good change.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal