Turra

IS-3 in br7.0

So the IS-3 is a wreck right now, i have about 165 battles in it and i cannot make it work.

And i have noticed that i'm far from the only one, there are a few exceptions of players that can make it work. But the far majority just see it as a roadbump in the grind.

The is-3 has been nerfed into the ground a couple of years ago so it would not been OP against the tanks that did not have any kind of ammunition to deal with it.

But that was before >2015, then there wasn't many tanks with heat-fs.

now in 2018 soon to be 2019 everyother tank has heat-fs with 300+mm pen that practically ignores angles of armor.

The is-3 is too slow, has too slow reload and too unrelieble armor to deal with the wast majority of tanks it faces.

There aren't just one thing that makes the tank compleatly useless, its a long list that i will try to put into this text..

*armor that cannot be angled

*Cast modifier for the turret armour, it has 250mm thick turret cheeks, but the cast modifier makes it about 220-230mm effectively. 

*Slow as hell reload that has a HUGE penalty if one loader is down.

*poor gunhandling, slow turret traverse, slow gun elevation.

*insanely slow hull traverse, like... its slower than a unspaded is-4m, slower than most tanks actually, i cannot rly think of a slower turreted tank right on the spot.

*Many many many weakspots. a rather HUGE gunners optic with only 100mm armour, a massive shottrap thats hard to miss, i have been killed by br 3.3 75mm cannons in the shottrap, massive turretring (an effect of the rised turret) with about 200mm thick, most tanks will be able to penetrate that in br7.3.

*Faces tanks every game with HEAT-fs and NOW with the apds buff, like M103, RU251, T92, M48, Leopard 1, conqueror (which idk why its 7.3 honestly), conway, centurion mk10, vickers MBT, T114, M46 and M47, m50, magach 3 and so on... the list goes on, every one of these tanks lol pen the is-3 anywhere, if the is-3 bounces its just pure luck.

The is-3 seem to have the wrong engine too, in game its pushing 11.8hp/t right now with a 520hp engine at 2000rpm, but irl it had a 600hp V-2JS (V-2-K) engine pushing 13hp/t instead.

Source: https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/IS-3  just translate it.

The IS-3 does not belong anymore in br 7.3, its outclassed even by its own brother IS-6 thats faster, better armored, faster reload with a decent penetration shot thats OHK (one hit kill) garantee if it pens.

and with the new addition of the T32E1 thast better than the is-3 in every conceivable way thats in 7.0?... IS-3 cannot even penetrate that damn thing anywhere?! and its 0.3 br lower?! gosh...

I say that the is-3 should go to 7.0 and get all of the nerfs it got removed, then the tank will no longer be a roadbump, but a tank thats capable of doing anything else than giving the enemy free spawnpoints.

If the is-3 is put in 7.0 it will still see heat-fs, but not to the same extent.

And to the people that says, b-b-b-but 6.0 will have a hard time against the is-3! 

Well, a 6.0 tank should have a hard time against a 1.0 br higher heavy tank, and 6.0 tanks can still deal with the tank from sides and rear just as 6.7 tanks have to deal with the maus, and 5.7 tanks should have a hard time against 6.7 Tiger II frontally, like it is.

The is-3 should be feared frontally by its lower br enemies, lower br enemies should not be able to easly kill the tank frontally, they should look for weakspots, they should get knowledge about the tank so they know how to deal with it when they encounter it.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 3
  • Upvote 3
medal

Put the IS-3 to 7.0 and remove all the nerfs? Are you joking?

You just want to make the tank OP; forget 6.0, 6.7 can hardly penetrate the IS-3 from the front with only a finicky shot trap to aim for. The sloped sides make it tricky from the side also. I guess you weren't around when the IS-3 was 7.0 and curbstomped everything. Russia has lots of other options at br 7.0-7.7, and are probably one of the most saturated nations in that br range. Some tanks (like is-3) just aren't that useful, but one underwhelming heavy tank in that br range for russia is hardly a problem. 

Heavy tanks just aren't that useful above br 6.7, face it. By your logic then the Maus should be 7.0 also, as it is much larger and slower than the is-3 so shouldn't face tanks that can actually penetrate it. Unfortunately that's just unfair for everyone who has to face it. Unless gaijin spreads all battle ratings out then things aren't going to change for these heavies. Some still have use due to high survivability (armour can at least diminish the post pen damage) but armour just isn't something any tank can rely on above br 6.7.

Edited by Dantheman66
  • Thanks 3
medal

22 hours ago, Dantheman66 said:

Put the IS-3 to 7.0 and remove all the nerfs? Are you joking?

You just want to make the tank OP; forget 6.0, 6.7 can hardly penetrate the IS-3 from the front with only a finicky shot trap to aim for. The sloped sides make it tricky from the side also. I guess you weren't around when the IS-3 was 7.0 and curbstomped everything. Russia has lots of other options at br 7.0-7.7, and are probably one of the most saturated nations in that br range. Some tanks (like is-3) just aren't that useful, but one underwhelming heavy tank in that br range for russia is hardly a problem. 

Heavy tanks just aren't that useful above br 6.7, face it. By your logic then the Maus should be 7.0 also, as it is much larger and slower than the is-3 so shouldn't face tanks that can actually penetrate it. Unfortunately that's just unfair for everyone who has to face it. Unless gaijin spreads all battle ratings out then things aren't going to change for these heavies. Some still have use due to high survivability (armour can at least diminish the post pen damage) but armour just isn't something any tank can rely on above br 6.7.

How will it be op?

Can you pinpoint me to the arguments? i saw thes stuff about br 6,7. but thats just not right.

In br 6,7 there are tanks that can easly deal with the is-3 without even having to aim properly, RU251 is a great example of that, point and klick garantee pen and 80% instakill due to cramped interior of the is-3.

m50 can lol pen, T114 can lol pen, M56 can lol pen, all britt br6.7 tanks with apds can lol pen is-3 turret, type61 can lol pen, type60 can lol pen, STA2 can lol pen the is-3. All of which are br6.7 except the STA2 that is br6.3

The only ones that cannot lol pen is-3 is germans and french because they lack extensive use of apds and heat-fs. but still can easly pen well aimed shots in the weakpoints, gunners sight, shottrap thats still easy to hit

(every game i die in is-3 its becasue of it) and all german and french br 6.0 up tanks have anough pen to stick a shell into the turretring.

okay so taking away all the nerfs was a bit excessive, unbuffed it would fit the 7.0 much better.

And so what that the soviet techtree is "saturated" thats not even an argument for a tank to be so underpreforming as it is.

If you can, take out the is-3 for 10 battles, and you will see the point.

• Haha 5
medal

No, I don't want to see it in my Panthers.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

So your problem is that 6.7 tanks can pen it by using HEAT? How is moving it to 7.0 helping? You just make 6.0 tanks  suffer about thing that you cant fix unless you drop it to 5.0br so it dosent meet STA-1/2 that are so hard to kill with that 122mm gun :D How about we also move IS-4M and IS-7 to 5.0br so they dont face those scary HEAT-FS tanks?

HEAT-FS right now is only thing that keeps Russian tanks not stomping whole tier IV-V. 

• Upvote 4
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 08/11/2018 at 18:51, Turra said:

How will it be op?

Can you pinpoint me to the arguments? i saw thes stuff about br 6,7. but thats just not right.

In br 6,7 there are tanks that can easly deal with the is-3 without even having to aim properly, RU251 is a great example of that, point and klick garantee pen and 80% instakill due to cramped interior of the is-3.

m50 can lol pen, T114 can lol pen, M56 can lol pen, all britt br6.7 tanks with apds can lol pen is-3 turret, type61 can lol pen, type60 can lol pen, STA2 can lol pen the is-3. All of which are br6.7 except the STA2 that is br6.3

i can assure you, with my experience of killing a lot of tanks in STAs, killing IS3 is as hard as killing IS-6 and its probably a bit harder since IS-6 got a well defined UFP and sides while angled sides and UFP of IS-3 ate more HEATFS than i can count. Its not exactly lolpen too since the HEAT wasnt a 105mm L7 HEAT i have to pick off the crew one by one like a needle.

but i agree, IS-6 is just plain better in terms of performance and IS-3 could use a historical buff to its speed, but not the BR

Edited by Samuel_Hyde
  • Upvote 2
medal medal

2 hours ago, Samuel_Hyde said:

i can assure you, with my experience of killing a lot of tanks in STAs, killing IS3 is as hard as killing IS-6 and its probably a bit harder since IS-6 got a well defined UFP and sides while angled sides and UFP of IS-3 ate more HEATFS than i can count. Its not exactly lolpen too since the HEAT wasnt a 105mm L7 HEAT i have to pick off the crew one by one like a needle.

but i agree, IS-6 is just plain better in terms of performance and IS-3 could use a historical buff to its speed, but not the BR

IMO IS-3 always had better protection than the IS-6. What makes the IS-6 so OP was its reload rate and mobility.

When you have to fight one with US 90mm without HEAT, it is nearly impossible for even the sides will eat your round.

If you have played Assualt mode, you will find the IS-3 horde being the worst enemy at given BR range.

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal

On 08/11/2018 at 12:51, Turra said:

How will it be op?

The only ones that cannot lol pen is-3 is germans and french because they lack extensive use of apds and heat-fs. but still can easly pen well aimed shots in the weakpoints, gunners sight, shottrap thats still easy to hit

(every game i die in is-3 its becasue of it) and all german and french br 6.0 up tanks have anough pen to stick a shell into the turretring.

okay so taking away all the nerfs was a bit excessive, unbuffed it would fit the 7.0 much better.

And so what that the soviet techtree is "saturated" thats not even an argument for a tank to be so underpreforming as it is.

If you can, take out the is-3 for 10 battles, and you will see the point.

you basically added all tanks that can pen it with HEAT from the front, all other vehicles without HEAT can't pen or have real trouble doing so.

most USA you mentioned can be killed with DSHK MG, British and JPN are center mass shots for the 122, no aiming required, british APDS can pen but seriously lacks damage, i mostly use AP when available.

lowering vehicle because heat spamming vehicles only can deal with it is not really valid for me. Two are premium, and the rest are toast when IS-3 spots them. all other vehicles in the 6.0- 6.7 will struggle.

• Upvote 4
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

2 hours ago, Baske_74 said:

you basically added all tanks that can pen it with HEAT from the front, all other vehicles without HEAT can't pen or have real trouble doing so.

most USA you mentioned can be killed with DSHK MG, British and JPN are center mass shots for the 122, no aiming required, british APDS can pen but seriously lacks damage, i mostly use AP when available.

lowering vehicle because heat spamming vehicles only can deal with it is not really valid for me. Two are premium, and the rest are toast when IS-3 spots them. all other vehicles in the 6.0- 6.7 will struggle.

I have already mentioned it but...

*The turret is 230mm so every tank with more pen can deal a deadly blow to the turret and cook of the ammo in the back *COUGH* (britts with apds) and players that know how to use apcr (good against flat armour like the turret cheeks on te is-3)

*The shottrap is very easy to hit, try going into a test map and fire at the is-3 below the gun, its the main reason i die after heat-fs. if you don't have heat-fs aim below the gun, you will most likely kill it in one blow.

*It has one of the slowest (if not the slowest) reloadspeed +-1br around br7.3

*Mobility is crap, noone can tell otherwise with a stright face.

you count how easy the is-3 can kill other things, well yeah, it can, aphe works that way, plus all other tanks you counted now can be killed by any tank in close br proximity.

Plus the meta in higher BR games are 1: penetration  2: reloadspeed  3: mobility.

What do those tanks i brought up have? and why are those tanks popular?

What do the is-3 have thats in the meta? nothing...

but it has a fools armour (newbe proof) and one hit kill (if penetration occurs)

Just for fun, lets look at the conqurer and compare the 2 tanks.

lets see... more pen, faster reload, more mobility, better armour.... yup it looks like a IS-3 is execessivly better than any other 7.3 heavy tank, lets put it at br 7.7, it would be fair right?

i mean, its so popular for a reason i guess (sarcastic)

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1
medal

8 hours ago, Turra said:

I have already mentioned it but...

Oh Turra... Here we go again. 

You can't downtier it to 7.0 simply because...

It was already there and kicked everyone like if they were blind puppies. 

Even with all the nerfs. It's got better armor then maus. And it's sidearmor is thick and sloped. 

What would those poor guys in Pershings and Panthers do? If they saw one in front of them they could just roll over and J-out..

APCR does literally no damage and it bounces off leafs like crazy. 

Even Tiger II, T29/34 would be helpless at more then 300 meters. And even at close range they'd be in huge disadvantage because they would have to hunt for pixels. 

T32E1 is due for uptier don't you worry. But even then I'd rather take my chances fighting T32E1 then IS3. 

It's mobility nerf could be removed I agree. But for its slow reload, that's really tiny and flat turret... With really big breech and really big two piece ammo. T34 have three times more spacious turret yet nearly identical reload. 

And most importantly. You can't simply downtier a heavy tank just because it's a heavy and should be therefore much much harder to kill. 

Imagine if we'd applied your logic to all heavy tanks. We'd have early T34s fighting off Jumbos and Tigers. And that would cause backlash even Hyperion couldn't calm. 

It's sadly yet another vehicle that suffers from compression, that however does not mean everyone else should suffer so that one vehicle may re-live its glorious days. 

What you ask for is silly and unreasonable. 

PS: IS6 should be overall better then IS3... I mean... It's newer model. You don't just make a new model that's worse in every single way then the older one now do you? 

Edited by MagicalMethod
"Hey kid... Do I have your attention?" - Avenged Sevenfold
  • Upvote 6
medal medal medal medal medal

2 hours ago, MagicalMethod said:

Even with all the nerfs. It's got better armor then maus. And it's sidearmor is thick and sloped. 

Maus has better upperglacis,lower glacis,

side,roof, and rear armor.

What would those poor guys in Pershings and Panthers do? If they saw one in front of them they could just roll over and J-out..

Shoot the drivers hatch.

Even Tiger II, T29/34 would be helpless at more then 300 meters. And even at close range they'd be in huge disadvantage because they would have to hunt for pixels. 

T32E1 is due for uptier don't you worry. But even then I'd rather take my chances fighting T32E1 then IS3. 

T32E1 is actually much harder to pen from the front than the IS 3 because it doesn’t have the drivers hatch weak spot of the is 3.

T34 have three times more spacious turret yet nearly identical reload. 

T34 has a 19 second stock reload. IS 3 has a 27 second stock reload. That is a massive difference.

Imagine if we'd applied your logic to all heavy tanks. We'd have early T34s fighting off Jumbos and Tigers. And that would cause backlash even Hyperion couldn't calm. 

T-34 1941 br is 3.7 while Sherman jumbo br is 4.7 so early t-34s do fight jumbos.

What you ask for is silly and unreasonable. 

Not sure why moving IS-3 down 7.0 which is the same br as a similar tank the T32E1 is unreasonable.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Upvote 3
medal medal

4 hours ago, zhao100 said:

Not sure why moving IS-3 down 7.0 which is the same br as a similar tank the T32E1 is unreasonable

Christ sake... Simply because you can't downtier a vehicle because of undertiered vehicle....no you uptier said vehicle not downtier yet another. 

• Upvote 5

7 hours ago, zhao100 said:

While I don't agree the IS-3 has overall better armor than the Maus, its sides are more trolly and it is easier to penetrate a Maus sides with 105mm APDS.

Shoot the drivers hatch.

From my 4+ years with Warthunder, succeeded maybe 5 times without getting killed first.

The standard procedure is to spot and run/hide.

T32E1 is actually much harder to pen from the front than the IS 3 because it doesn’t have the drivers hatch weak spot of the is 3.

But much thinner on the sides and rear.

It will get BR raised soon for sure.

T34 has a 19 second stock reload. IS 3 has a 27 second stock reload. That is a massive difference.

The IS-3 has massively better one-shot kill chance.

19s*2 = 38s, and 38s > 27s. (that is if you kill with 2 hits).

Edited by Loongsheep
  • Upvote 3
medal medal medal

Thanks to heavily sloped armor on the IS3, it's UFP might just be an autobounce for a load of 6.0-7.3 vehicles. It's LFP is tough as nails as well as heavily sloped. Turret front is basically autobounce for nearly everyone but undertiered Heatfs slingers and German 128,

Shoot the drivers hatch

You're joking right? With 160-170mm of pen it might as well not be there. 

5 hours ago, zhao100 said:

Fair enough T32E1 is due for uptier. 

T34 has a 19 second stock reload. IS 3 has a 27 second stock reload. That is a massive difference

I screwed up there sorry. I mistaken IS6 loading time for IS3. 

10 hours ago, zhao100 said:

T-34 1941 br is 3.7 while Sherman jumbo br is 4.7 so early t-34s do fight jumbos.

I ment 76 Jumbo and etc. 

10 hours ago, zhao100 said:

Not sure why moving IS-3 down 7.0 which is the same br as a similar tank the T32E1 is unreasonable

That's true. But instead of downtiering another heavy into seal clubbing we ought to uptier the T32E1. 

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, MagicalMethod said:

You can't downtier it to 7.0 simply because...

Its not simply because, i have stated why and backed up my arguments for why. 

14 hours ago, MagicalMethod said:

It was already there and kicked everyone like if they were blind puppies.

That was a long time ago when tanks did not have heat-fs, the matchmaker now has plenty of 6.3 6.7 tanks with heat-fs.

And tanks 1.0br lower will always struggle with higher br well armoured tanks. Look at the jumbo, put it on a corridor and it will laugh its own tracks of while bouncing every tank it faces and taps apcr through the enemy. I know because i do. 

And maus does not have worse armour LOL look at Phlydaily's video on "who would win, a modern mbt or 1 heavy boi" 

If you see a is3 from the side, just shoot it below the sideskirts... Its only 90mm armour there plus ammo.. 

Edited by Turra
medal

46 minutes ago, Turra said:

That was a long time ago when tanks did not have heat-fs, the matchmaker now has plenty of 6.3 6.7 tanks with heat-fs.

Name two tanks in every nation at 6.0-6.7 which can lob Heatfs with high enough pen. (premiums are not suitable choices). Downtier to 7.0 would mean 6.0s would see it. That's why I'm against it. 

If you see a is3 from the side, just shoot it below the sideskirts... Its only 90mm armour there plus ammo. (yet it keeps eating/bouncing aphe/apds like crazy) 

Look at the jumbo, put it on a corridor and it will laugh its own tracks of while bouncing every tank it faces and taps apcr through the enemy. I know because i do. 

Jumbo is only at 5.7 because of poor apcr. Fix apcr and it is bound to be uptiered. 

And maus does not have worse armour LOL look at Phlydaily's video on "who would win, a modern mbt or 1 heavy boi" 

Apds, apcr, apfsds does full damage only if residual penetration is about 250mm of pen. Something only French 120, type 90 and t64/80 can achieve while hitting unangled maus. If maus angles not even French 120 and t64/80 can achieve that.

Not to mention apfsds and Heatfs can't even dream of doing same damage as 75mm aphe can. And maus is nothing if spacious. 

Edit : I said simply because and listed my reasons below. It wasn't ment as "I say no so no"

Edited by MagicalMethod
I got a big bag of crabs here...
  • Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, MagicalMethod said:

(premiums are not suitable choices)

Premiums are a part of the game and i see many many premiums in mm (matchmaker) so i don't agree.

23 minutes ago, MagicalMethod said:

yet it keeps eating/bouncing aphe/apds like crazy

i haven't noticed that i guess i have to be vigilant to that.

33 minutes ago, MagicalMethod said:

Name two tanks in every nation at 6.0-6.7

which nationes are most popular? and which nations are rarely played at 7.0?

lets see, popular is americans by far and soviets, nations that are reguarly played are germans and britts, and french and japan are more rare.

so america which is a nation you will 100% of the matches face or play with has t92, m50, m56 in 6.7 in 6.3 they lack heat-fs.

i see these tanks in every game i face america because some tanks are more popular than others 

gemans have Ru251 as a premium, still i see at least 3 of them every game, no matter if its a 6.7-7.0-7.2 or 7.7 game. because of popularity.

britts have no heat-fs, but they do have apds that rofl pen is-3 in the turret with stabilized guns and reloads 3,25 times as fast as is-3, this makes them a machinegun that does not struggle to aim or pen the is-3.

japanese have STA-A1, STA-A2, type-61, type 60 sprg. all set with enough heat pen to rofl the is-3 and reloads 2.6 faster than is-3.  i see these tanks every time i face japan.

french have no heat-fs and is the least played nation with a army techtree, and i don't see more than maybe one french tank against me in maybe 1/8 games.

and theres a reason they are not so popular, and it because of their lack of potent ammunition.

the main reason i see that is-3 gets hate at all is that germans lack potent apds and heat-fs like americans and japanese.

24 minutes ago, MagicalMethod said:

Jumbo is only at 5.7

I'm talking about 4.7 jumbo, i have it in the french techtree and its just a rofl stomp 100% of the games.

its a blast to play! and if its played correcctly even advanced players will have much trouble with it, the only real weakspot in the front is the machinegun port thats very hard to hit if you wiggle your hull and/or hide it.

48 minutes ago, MagicalMethod said:

Edit

remember that soviets lack heat-fs also, the only tanks that have heat-fs below 8.0 is ASU-85 (rarely played) SU-122-54 (also rarely played) and the useless pt-76 and bmp-1 (the only potent heat-fs slinger)

medal

well now when we have talked about lower  br tanks, lets talk about same BR tanks and higher

-what can the is-3 do to a m103? oh yeah the sides.. hmmh... but regarding that the is-3 is slower than the m103 i would doubt you could call that a stratergy.

-how about the maus? sure it can pen the turret cheeks at like 10m, a flank? maybe, but if youre alone against it youre screwd.

-how about the T23E1?, corridor, youre alone against that tank... youre screw, you cannot pen him at all, but he can aim for youre weakspots and pen you, even if it gets uptiered to 7.3 its still the fkn same.

-The conquerer?, well, it has a stabilizier so it will get the first shot of allways if you two see eachother at the same time. he has enough pen to pen you 3 times over all over your tank. he has enough armour to bounce you except for the lower plate and the incredibly hard to hit cupola 50m up on the turret.

So yet again if youre alone against him 1v1 youre screwd big time.

-what about the leopard? nah, he climbed a hill and sniped you with 8.3 (7.7) br heat-fs, OH you say its stock? well it does not matter, its lol pen allover the tank, the only place he cannot pen you is on the addon armour tracks on the front, youre lucky if he's blind Ace enough to aim for them.

-well it is 7.3 tank, so lets flip the tables and give it a FULL UPTIER to 8.3 and lets see what the MIGHTY is-3 can face.

you said that 6.0 tanks could do nothing to the is-3, but lets see what the is-3 can do right now against 8.3 tanks.

M48A2 G A2 has stabilizer, gets the first shot of and will 100% pen the front of the is-3 looks like it will mostly hit ammo and at least 2 crew everywhere he penetrates = instakill.

The is-3 can only pen he's lower plate and the gun mantlet which only takes out the gun it seems.

The M60A1 (AOS) is the same story here, instakill everywhere because of a near garantee ammoshot on penetration (according to armour viewer and my own observations while playing the tank)

The is-3 can pen the cupola for a killshot, turretring (a bit tricky) and gunmantlet for a killshot. everywhere else is no pen, still the is-3 does never have the first shot on it if its not out of possition.

T95E1 this is interesting, i have never actuarly killed one of these things in my is-3 ever. same story instakill stabilizer first shot bla bla bla.

and the is-3 is pixelhunting in your own words, the is-3 can maybe get a shot in under the cupola boulge or the turret ring, but else? nah bounced.

chieftain mk3... same story here lol pen instakill VJBHJJKBH and is-3 can get lower plate (a little bit easier) but only in city maps, this tank never gets out of sniper possitions if driven by some one that has looked at its armour and gun depression.

and the worst part is... THAT THIS IS NOT UNLIKELY!!

br 7.3 is br 7.7 in disguise, so i have played the is-3 a bit today and so far i have seen 100% 7.7 and 8.3 games....

choppers, apfsds, heat-fs with 400mm pen, tanks i cannot react to in time before i'm dead (because of turret rotations speed of 7.6 degrees/s, tanks thats shooting me from 1.5-2km away and i cannot do anything about that.

Edited by Turra
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
medal

4 hours ago, Turra said:

-well it is 7.3 tank, so lets flip the tables and give it a FULL UPTIER to 8.3 and lets see what the MIGHTY is-3 can face.

you said that 6.0 tanks could do nothing to the is-3, but lets see what the is-3 can do right now against 8.3 tanks.

If you are going to complain about full uptiers in a heavy tank, please. List the Heavy Tanks that deal just fine with uptiers.

It is like going against an IS-2 in a 75mm Jumbo or fighting T-54 1947 with a Tiger II, never ends well for the uptiered heavy tanks.

4 hours ago, Turra said:

M48A2 G A2 has stabilizer, gets the first shot of and will 100% pen the front of the is-3 looks like it will mostly hit ammo and at least 2 crew everywhere he penetrates = instakill.

The is-3 can only pen he's lower plate and the gun mantlet which only takes out the gun it seems.

No, it doesn't have a stabilizer and it is 8.0. 

Both lower plate and mantlet shots are OHK's against Pattons and the mantlet on the M48A2G is a fairly large target. It is also fires APDS which isn't going to get a OHK and HEAT-FS still expensive to shoot.

4 hours ago, Turra said:

The M60A1 (AOS) is the same story here, instakill everywhere because of a near garantee ammoshot on penetration (according to armour viewer and my own observations while playing the tank)

The is-3 can pen the cupola for a killshot, turretring (a bit tricky) and gunmantlet for a killshot. everywhere else is no pen, still the is-3 does never have the first shot on it if its not out of possition.

Cupola, mantlet and LFP account of almost the entire frontal arch of the tank, which isn't that well armored to begin with and the M60A1 AOS is a 8.3 tank and a remarkably underperforming one.

4 hours ago, Turra said:

T95E1 this is interesting, i have never actuarly killed one of these things in my is-3 ever. same story instakill stabilizer first shot bla bla bla.

and the is-3 is pixelhunting in your own words, the is-3 can maybe get a shot in under the cupola boulge or the turret ring, but else? nah bounced.

Also doesn't have a stabilizer.

4 hours ago, Turra said:

chieftain mk3... same story here lol pen instakill VJBHJJKBH and is-3 can get lower plate (a little bit easier) but only in city maps, this tank never gets out of sniper possitions if driven by some one that has looked at its armour and gun depression.

It is the most well protected turret a 8.3 MBT and still filled with armor holes, besides what are you expecting when you fight a Chief with an IS-3? 

4 hours ago, Turra said:

br 7.3 is br 7.7 in disguise, so i have played the is-3 a bit today and so far i have seen 100% 7.7 and 8.3 games....

choppers, apfsds, heat-fs with 400mm pen, tanks i cannot react to in time before i'm dead (because of turret rotations speed of 7.6 degrees/s, tanks thats shooting me from 1.5-2km away and i cannot do anything about that.

Have you ever considered that the IS-3 is even worse for most 6.3 and outright near impossible to deal with for most 6.0 tanks too?

Because of everything you said it is both a reflection of making the mistake of spawning a heavy tank in a full uptier and not being able to deal with other tanks.

I could as well ask what a M26 Pershing or a Panther can really do to an IS-3. And the IS-3 is hardly one of the tanks that get screwed by uptierings, you are welcome to play US, UK and German tanks at 7.0 to 7.7 to see how garbage the MM is for them. 

Edited by Slayer3XD
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 6
medal medal

21 hours ago, MagicalMethod said:

Thanks to heavily sloped armor on the IS3, it's UFP might just be an autobounce for a load of 6.0-7.3 vehicles. It's LFP is tough as nails as well as heavily sloped. Turret front is basically autobounce for nearly everyone but undertiered Heatfs slingers and German 128,

UFP of IS-3 is strongest when directly pointing at the enemy. If the IS 3 is angled the ufp becomes weaker unlike other tanks. 

22 hours ago, MagicalMethod said:

You're joking right? With 160-170mm of pen it might as well not be there. 

Drivers hatch is only 30mm thick you will pen it with any gun in the br range of the IS 3.

22 hours ago, MagicalMethod said:

Fair enough T32E1 is due for uptier

I don’t think the t32E1 should be uptiered and it probably won’t be. 

12 hours ago, Slayer3XD said:

If you are going to complain about full uptiers in a heavy tank, please. List the Heavy Tanks that deal just fine with uptiers.

It is like going against an IS-2 in a 75mm Jumbo or fighting T-54 1947 with a Tiger II, never ends well for the uptiered heavy tanks.

When the 75mm jumbo and tiger II are downtiered there are few tanks can easily pen them from the front. That is not the case for the IS-3

On 16/11/2018 at 00:17, Loongsheep said:

The IS-3 has massively better one-shot kill chance.

19s*2 = 38s, and 38s > 27s. (that is if you kill with 2 hits).

90mm APHE can consistently one shot tanks.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal

1 minute ago, zhao100 said:

90mm APHE can consistently one shot tanks.

T34 does not fire that.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal

14 hours ago, Slayer3XD said:

So if i get this right, i can't complain about is-3 uptiers but you can complain about tanks getting uptiered against the is-3?

like what MagicalMethod has been talking about, complaining of having 6.0 and 6.3 tanks facing the is-3

M60A1 AOS is a 8.3 tank and a remarkably underperforming one.

well it does not underpreform against what i can see from br7.3, and so the tank is underpreformin gagainst same br tanks? thats not the discussion.

Also doesn't have a stabilizer.

still, is-3 cannot penetrate the tank. pixel hunting, remember?

It is the most well protected turret a 8.3 MBT and still filled with armor holes, besides what are you expecting when you fight a Chief with an IS-3? 

the conqueror has better turret armour with only gunmantlet as a true weakspot, and bettter hull armour.

conqueror is br7.3 and i reguarly bounce apfs-ds from the T-62 on the turret of that thing, but i don't reguarly bounce from the chieftain?

besides what are you expecting when you fight a Chief with an IS-3?  besides what are you expecting when you fight a is-3 in a full uptier?

ave you ever considered that the IS-3 is even worse for most 6.3 and outright near impossible to deal with for most 6.0 tanks too?

No have not, because i have seen it in my french tanks and i could deal with it rather easily.

Turret is weak from sides, plus the 90mm flat side armour below the sideskirts is a straight ammoshot.

If you face the tank headon just aim for the right turretcheek, its a near garantee pen for any gun with above 130mm pen at x range you find it at.

or if you have above 220mm pen at x range just aim below the gun, there you have a chanse to hit the following

1:Turretring

2:shottraping (not uncommin at all)

3: hit the drivers hatch.

4: hit the gun and disable it (massive musslebreak)

if you don't know about these weakspots and don't aim for them, that would explain your incapacity to kill the tank the few times you see it.

Edited by Turra
medal

4 hours ago, Turra said:

If you face the tank headon just aim for the right turretcheek, its a near garantee pen for any gun with above 130mm pen at x range you find it at.

The hole is few pixels wide as it is, never mind engaging at decent range.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Loongsheep said:

T34 does not fire that.

I thought you meant T32E1. The T34’s 120mm has excellent post pen damage, has more pen than the IS 3, and reloads faster. The T34’s gun is pretty much better than the IS-3’s gun in every aspect.

• Upvote 1
medal medal

The T34’s gun is pretty much better than the IS-3’s gun in every aspect.

Except post-pen damage.

No matter how powerful a solid AP is, it can’t detonate ammo not in its line of travel like APHE.

The 122mm APHE can hit engine from the side and detinate ammo, the AP can only destroy the engine.

• Upvote 3
medal medal medal