British 6.7 underwhelming

Bigest problem with british tanks form 4.7 br up is : APDS need to do same Dmg as APHE ... Enemy firepower agains your survivability is much better then other way around .  Mobility and armor of british tanks is poor so they need to have superior firepower if gajing wants to make them competitive ...    

medal medal

• 3 months later...

Reviving this thread because I have played through to the conqueror and I'm now researching the chieftain. 6.7 is by far the most infuriating british lineup. They all have useless armor, the fv4202's stronk turret isn't very stronk. The ammo's post pen sucks, the repair costs are ludicrous, there is absolutely no reason to play 6.7. The conqueror is better hull down in its tier and is much more reliable at distance, I try to engage at >1000m so I have some advantage. The fv4202 to me is by far the most overrated tank I have played in war thunder period. The cent mk3 is nice but is armor is really pointless because most of the poplular opposing vehicles (panther II and Tiger II) pen it with ease as well as most Russians. That's why I have started to like the Vickers, the cent mk10's armor is fairly useless as well so I might as well opt for no armor and an awesome reload.

I can't wait to finish up the mobility mods for the conqueror, it should be a good backup for the chieftain, if only gaijin fixed the ammo.... The post pen is bad and the reload is awful, but at least I can reliably bounce shots. I just hope for leos lol.

Btw what Ody_Cz said would make these tanks good tanks period, what I'm saying is that they are good british tanks, but compared to everything else they are complete crap, OPHE needs to be nerfed, how the f can a aphe shell bounce off the back of the inside of fv4202s cupola and kill the driver????

There's a few threads with historical proof contradicting this, but Gaijin wouldn't dare nerf aphe, then all the Russian tanks would be the worst in the game.

Lately mk K/D in british is around 1.1 while my German K/D lately is around 1.7 it's just ridiculous that these tanks are so underperforming and then the community tries to defend them saying "you just need skill", people claiming that british 6.7 is godly and op. Every single British 6.7 is easily one shottable under 1000m hull down or not (except the tortoise). Frontally I need 3 shots to take out a tiger 2. Normally 2 for panthers, who knows how many for a rng bouncy Russian tank. T44 can be oneshotted tho, but it's much easier for it to oneshot me, but it has no stabilizer and bad depression, t44 is balanced, other than aphe, that's bs.

Edited by CookieMonster_24
Additional thoughts
  • Upvote 2
medal medal

the fv4202 was a great tank before they upped it's BR, same with the cent but now it's garbage. The only tank they I really like in high tier brits is the vickers mbt, decent mobility, great reload speed but **** poor apds and no armour. It gets worse when you unlock the chief mk3... the mobility is so bad that quite often you wont even be able to turn, even on the road it's trash compared to everything else. It's armour is trash but the turret can get the odd bounce at range but generally you'll get penned by everything you'll face. It's gun is good though... reload is a little long and the zoom is trash like in all brit tanks but it's post pen dmg is better than previous british tanks but dont expect it to be anything like the germans and russians.

• Upvote 2
medal medal

6 hours ago, CookieMonster_24 said:

Reviving this thread because I have played through to the conqueror and I'm now researching the chieftain. 6.7 is by far the most infuriating british lineup. They all have useless armor, the fv4202's stronk turret isn't very stronk. The ammo's post pen sucks, the repair costs are ludicrous, there is absolutely no reason to play 6.7. The conqueror is better hull down in its tier and is much more reliable at distance, I try to engage at >1000m so I have some advantage. The fv4202 to me is by far the most overrated tank I have played in war thunder period. The cent mk3 is nice but is armor is really pointless because most of the poplular opposing vehicles (panther II and Tiger II) pen it with ease as well as most Russians. That's why I have started to like the Vickers, the cent mk10's armor is fairly useless as well so I might as well opt for no armor and an awesome reload.

I can't wait to finish up the mobility mods for the conqueror, it should be a good backup for the chieftain, if only gaijin fixed the ammo.... The post pen is bad and the reload is awful, but at least I can reliably bounce shots. I just hope for leos lol.

Btw what Ody_Cz said would make these tanks good tanks period, what I'm saying is that they are good british tanks, but compared to everything else they are complete crap, OPHE needs to be nerfed, how the f can a aphe shell bounce off the back of the inside of fv4202s cupola and kill the driver????

There's a few threads with historical proof contradicting this, but Gaijin wouldn't dare nerf aphe, then all the Russian tanks would be the worst in the game.

Lately mk K/D in british is around 1.1 while my German K/D lately is around 1.7 it's just ridiculous that these tanks are so underperforming and then the community tries to defend them saying "you just need skill", people claiming that british 6.7 is godly and op. Every single British 6.7 is easily one shottable under 1000m hull down or not (except the tortoise). Frontally I need 3 shots to take out a tiger 2. Normally 2 for panthers, who knows how many for a rng bouncy Russian tank. T44 can be oneshotted tho, but it's much easier for it to oneshot me, but it has no stabilizer and bad depression, t44 is balanced, other than aphe, that's bs.

Well i might be a weirdo, but 6.7-7.0 brits are one of my favourite, i have 1.6 K/D with them

I usually use the vickers + the attacker for CAS.

Since the APDS pen was buffed and i can pen the front of Tiger IIs it's even better.

Yeah the armour is useless but it's the same for the enemies.

The post pen is really not good, but it won't get better at higher tiers either..the APFSDS against Leos is crap too sometimes i need 4-5 shotsfrom the side.

Edited by MTom
medal medal medal medal

I feel that a reload of around 13s for the conqueror (maxed out, so the stock would be around 17) would help account for the bad post pen and make it a bit more balanced. 

Anyways, super excited about the economy changes, I'm at 162k rp so far on chieftain. It will be lowered to 180k on april 23rd, so once I reach 180 I will switch my research to the warrior!

• Upvote 3
medal medal

Gaijin's raising of repair costs is ridiculous, thunderskill says I am an above average player and I can only dream of turning consistent profit with 6.7 brits. I simply cannot play the tanks I want to at this point. They are listening to the loudest members of the community, who are the best and will turn a profit regardless of the increase. They seem to want to kill their playerbase.

I would be ok with 6.7 underperforming if they just lowered the repair costs....

And a lot of the time I don't respawn in 7.3 because I can't afford it, they are killing the playerbase and gameplay...

medal medal

42 minutes ago, CookieMonster_24 said:

Btw, im sort of getting off topic from 6.7 stuff but, how do you remove the 12.7mm mg reticle from the chieftains main sight?

Have you tried selecting the primary weapon?

medal medal medal medal medal

35 minutes ago, CookieMonster_24 said:

You can select a primary weapon? What do you mean?

check in your controls think you have to set a key, the MG only gives you away so its essential!

4 hours ago, CookieMonster_24 said:

Looking at protection analysis I am becoming weary of the chieftains "strong" turret and "powerful" gun.

The conqueror mk2 seems to actually have more effective armor as well as being at a lower br with similar pen and mobility, just crap reload and post pen...

Chieftans reload really really helps! and yes presently the Conqs gun is far better aside from reload. But chiefs turrets are rather resilient (heat-fs goes clean through mind)

medal medal

Just playing tank assault I have found that the chieftain is less survivable than the conqueror, centurion and Caernarvon......

I have the mg set to a different key, the problem is the circle indicating where it is pointing appears in the main sight

Btw, pls tell me that repair costs are going down, repair costs leave me unable to afford to respawn and it's wrecking the gameplay.

medal medal

On 10/04/2019 at 02:57, CookieMonster_24 said:

Gaijin's raising of repair costs is ridiculous, thunderskill says I am an above average player and I can only dream of turning consistent profit with 6.7 brits. I simply cannot play the tanks I want to at this point. They are listening to the loudest members of the community, who are the best and will turn a profit regardless of the increase. They seem to want to kill their playerbase.

I would be ok with 6.7 underperforming if they just lowered the repair costs....

And a lot of the time I don't respawn in 7.3 because I can't afford it, they are killing the playerbase and gameplay...

Repair costs are normal for 6.7 tanks. If you want to look at broken repair costs, venture to the same BR bracket in the French tree.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 4 months later...

My problem is that the ammo on british 6.7 tanks is placed next to the driver, even if I carry less than 25 shells, the ammo rack next to the driver is somewhat full.

In conclusion I get my ammo blown up from the front or the left side of my tank. 

medal

It's the lack of mobility that really mess with the British.  It really is painful to move around anywhere.  If you put yourself in a poor position it's horrendous to try to move out of it.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

10 hours ago, xcv151 said:

My problem is that the ammo on british 6.7 tanks is placed next to the driver, even if I carry less than 25 shells, the ammo rack next to the driver is somewhat full.

In conclusion I get my ammo blown up from the front or the left side of my tank. 

You really need to go hull-down with British tanks. Even if there isn't ammo you lose most of the crew by getting hit on the hull.

Stay behind cover and only go out when you shoot - you have stabilizer to help with that.

medal medal medal

• 1 month later...

I'm having a jolly good time with Brit 6.7: Caenarvon, Tortoise, FV4202, Challenger Mk.3 (in RB)

Edited by RikersMightyBear
medal medal

• 6 months later...

The FV 4202 and the Caernarvon are not that useless though. They are hard to work with, just like all british tanks, but they can devastate the enemy, even when uptiered. The thing with british tech tree is, it is not for rookies. For the sake of your mental health, use german or russian tanks if you are new.

A little tip, accept that british 6.7 tanks are inferior, so dont play them like Tiger II or IS 2. You will be killed in no time. Except for being downtiered, play in a support role, flanking, or guarding the flank. That way, your incompetitive gun can be put to good use, you will face lightly armored enemies, and since not on the frontline, will not be the center of attention and getting shot at by Tigers and IS 2s. It works in AB though, so it should works in RB too where your enemies have harder time aiming at your weakspot and you can try to hide.

medal medal

2 minutes ago, Reichswaffe said:

The FV 4202 and the Caernarvon are not that useless though. They are hard to work with, just like all british tanks, but they can devastate the enemy, even when uptiered. The thing with british tech tree is, it is not for rookies. For the sake of your mental health, use german or russian tanks if you are new.

A little tip, accept that british 6.7 tanks are inferior, so dont play them like Tiger II or IS 2. You will be killed in no time. Except for being downtiered, play in a support role, flanking, or guarding the flank. That way, your incompetitive gun can be put to good use, you will face lightly armored enemies, and since not on the frontline, will not be the center of attention and getting shot at by Tigers and IS 2s. It works in AB though, so it should works in RB too where your enemies have harder time aiming at your weakspot and you can try to hide.

in RB they are best used long range, as their guns are far more effective when they face enemies that can't shoot back. 

otherwise, yeah they're more on the support role. 

I see some youtubers using them like T-34s and getting good results, but I reckon that it's more situational and they're picking their good game.

in the end, it all comes down to map knowledge. If you know the best places in the map, then you are unstoppable as long as you're able to pen your enemies

medal medal

On 26/04/2020 at 02:31, GoddePro said:

in RB they are best used long range, as their guns are far more effective when they face enemies that can't shoot back. 

otherwise, yeah they're more on the support role. 

I see some youtubers using them like T-34s and getting good results, but I reckon that it's more situational and they're picking their good game.

in the end, it all comes down to map knowledge. If you know the best places in the map, then you are unstoppable as long as you're able to pen your enemies

they are ineffective over 1km on well armored tanks facing towards you due to poor accuracy, weak optics and the fact you will need to land multiple hits. I have 2km+ headon kills but often a lot of shots are fired.

medal medal

6 hours ago, CookieMonster_24 said:

they are ineffective over 1km on well armored tanks facing towards you due to poor accuracy, weak optics and the fact you will need to land multiple hits. I have 2km+ headon kills but often a lot of shots are fired.

the horrifically terrible post-pen is an actual crime on the part of gaijin. 

What is APDS? Well it's just shorter APFSDS. They both use the same principal to penetrate and damage targets and should have similar splash damage in similar circumstances. The T-62's 3BM3 is literally just an APDS round with fins and it has double the post pen. 

medal medal

• 3 months later...

Sooo... I went and purchased Cent Action X. First thoughts after 15 games or so: I’ve only played Japanese and German 6.7 tanks before, but this thing beats them handily. SPRG-60 and Panther II are somewhat in the same ballpark for different reasons, but are not as good overall.

The speed of the British tanks seem to be low/bad, BUT you can move all the time, and not frantically zoom from spot to spot due to stabilizer and excellent reload. You can just roll into cap points without fearing you run into another tank and have to stop and wait out the turret wobble. Another option is putting that magnificent gun depression into use and popping shots over hills.

Yet another huge plus is the opposition: tanks you face do not generally have the armor to stop the excellent Mk. 1 AP shot, which hits like a truck and is not much worse than e.g. the long 88 APHE if you aim just a little bit. I was frankly shocked how easily it oneshots. Quick reload also allows you to change to APDS when needed. It’s also a markedly better round than APCR due to angle penetration. It still works well against Soviet heavies and T-54s. Tiger IIs are an afterthought, sure they can kill you, but you have almost every advantage except in very long ranges where their hull armor starts to do something and turret becomes harder to hit. Same for IS-2 and 3.

All in all, judging by this tank, the British have BY FAR the best 6.7 lineup, it’s not even remotely close. I didn’t feel myself in great disadvantage even in 7.7 games (which were most of the matches) due to stabilizer and excellent reload.

• Confused 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal

3 hours ago, Mardee said:

Sooo... I went and purchased Cent Action X. First thoughts after 15 games or so: I’ve only played Japanese and German 6.7 tanks before, but this thing beats them handily. SPRG-60 and Panther II are somewhat in the same ballpark for different reasons, but are not as good overall.

The speed of the British tanks seem to be low/bad, BUT you can move all the time, and not frantically zoom from spot to spot due to stabilizer and excellent reload. You can just roll into cap points without fearing you run into another tank and have to stop and wait out the turret wobble. Another option is putting that magnificent gun depression into use and popping shots over hills.

Yet another huge plus is the opposition: tanks you face do not generally have the armor to stop the excellent Mk. 1 AP shot, which hits like a truck and is not much worse than e.g. the long 88 APHE if you aim just a little bit. I was frankly shocked how easily it oneshots. Quick reload also allows you to change to APDS when needed. It’s also a markedly better round than APCR due to angle penetration. It still works well against Soviet heavies and T-54s. Tiger IIs are an afterthought, sure they can kill you, but you have almost every advantage except in very long ranges where their hull armor starts to do something and turret becomes harder to hit. Same for IS-2 and 3.

All in all, judging by this tank, the British have BY FAR the best 6.7 lineup, it’s not even remotely close. I didn’t feel myself in great disadvantage even in 7.7 games (which were most of the matches) due to stabilizer and excellent reload.

The bulk of this thread is ancient. These days brit 6.7 is considered the highpoint of the entire line and amongst the statistics we have access to is significantly on top of the germans.

Edited by CarlBar
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, CarlBar said:

The bulk of this thread is ancient. These days brit 6.7 is considered the highpoint of the entire line and amongst the statistics we have access to is significantly on top of the germans.

and as a consequence, every vehicle now has 10K+ repair costs. So no matter how good these vehicles are, they will tend to do worse financially than other nations

• Like 1
medal medal

14 hours ago, Mardee said:

The British 6.7 tanks are fine in the current meta, but it lacks variety. The Centurion Mk.3, Strv81, Caernarvon, FV4202 and Action X all play very similarly. The TDs are below average. It completely lacks SPAAG and light scout vehicles. The lack of HEAT-FS means the penetration loses out over longer range.

In the case you want to try something different like tank destroyer, they are pretty bad. The Tortoise is somehow at the same BR as the Jagdtiger in RB. It is inferior in every way - slower, has way less armor and with a gun that fires less penetrating rounds without any HE filler. Funny how much the JT has moved down BR while the Tortoise has moved to 6.7 from 6.3. Charioteer is 6.3 but since there is no lineup it is always played at 6.7. There is no point taking it out over the mediums, as it is a BR 3.3 hull with a 6.7 gun. The FV4005 is even more occasional with the longest reload in game. The HESH doesn't even kill King Tigers in one hit anymore.

People usually make up the difference by spamming CAS (Wyvern and Spitfire 24).

medal medal medal