PherionTheDragon

Thinking on returning...

Hey everyone. I was thinking on returning here after spending a really long time away. I started playing warthunder back when it was 20 tiers still and there was only planes in the game. I stayed a while up to the point the British tanks were released which then I left. I was a little bit in and out of it. But ultimately I left for a really long time. Now I don't really plan on being competitive at all. I just want warthunder to scratch my WW2 tank itch that I occasionally have. So probably playing it once or twice a week as I'm a singlePlayer gamer at heart and much prefer playing alone and enjoying a good story or exploring a world. But as far as I know there is no singleplayer equivalent to warthunder, so hence why I'm thinking on coming back.

Now I left the game because of some bad decisions I had made. Myself like so many others wanted to get my hands on the legendary Tiger 1, however I regretted doing it. There was nothing about the Tiger 1 that I enjoyed. It's ridiculous size, it's box shape, the poor armor layout, the decrease in agility. But I kept going, to King Tigers to panthers. Stopping at the Panther 2 and the King Tiger 105 I finally had enough. I'm sure there is people that love those tanks but I've come to realize the hard way that I don't like their style of play. And I tried to push it, tried to get used to it but the more I tried I just got completely burned out on them. Wether it's AB or RB. Didn't really mattered. What I really enjoyed playing were all the PZ3 and PZ4. Now those tanks are a thing of beauty. Small, compact, decent mobility, powerful guns. Sure the armor was mediocre but that didn't mattered. I could easily get over 15 kills in them in AB(back then I only played AB). And I loved every single model of those beasts. Not to mention the stug, marder and hetzer. Those things are so much fun. But as soon as I hit the Tiger 1 it felt they removed all the good things about the German tanks and gave me nothing but drawbacks. And it kept going downhill after that.

Even the British have amazing tanks. Matilda, Valetines, Churchills. Now those are TANKS! Actual, functional armor with pretty decent guns. Just move them to a good position, angle it 45ª and conquer everything. I had excellent games with those tanks. There was this one battle in RB in my Churchill 3 I was surrounded by three PZ4 all shooting at me. My tracks were gone, engine dead, on fire and half the crew dead and I killed them all. All thanks to a well built armor and a decent gun. I loved those things.

Tigers and King Tigers have terrible armor layouts. As a King Tiger, as soon as I showed up, they would instantly aim at my turret and kill everyone in it before I could place a shot. Even at incredibly long distances this would happen. And what made it worse was having to face cold war tanks. Seriously, T54? T54 is a small profile tank, it's maneuverable, has a pretty good gun and can hide nearly all weak spots easily. There are many places where a T54 can shoot from showing nothing but the turret, or maybe hiding the lower plate while angling the body. That becomes incredibly difficult for a King Tiger to do anything about. Specially when it's armor is so ineffective. Sure 150mm of flat armor at the front of the turret looks impressive if I was facing Shermans. That's nothing to a T54.

Anyway, I didn't want this to become a rant, I just don't wanna go back to those tanks anymore. That's what made me leave in the first place. I know some people love those tanks and they can do wonderful things with them. But to me it's not my style. Which is why I wanna ask you some questions.

1-I'm planning on going back to the PZ3, PZ4, stug, matilda, etc. I've seen they added things like the Puma, Dicker Max, etc. Those look very interesting. But I want to ask for some recommendations. I want to play with tanks that behave similar to the Panzers or to the early British. Can be any nation, I don't care.

2-Can someone tell me also if the gameplay at tier 5 or 6 is? Should I invest on trying to reach those tiers at all considering the grind and all.

3-Something about planes now. What are the most satisfying turn fighters to play in AB? (I can't stand the horrible 10min climb before battle in RB + limited planes, ammo. I rather deal with AB wonky physics)

• Upvote 1
medal

Welcome back, I hope you do return. It is very interesting to read about your experiences. 

1-I'm planning on going back to the PZ3, PZ4, stug, matilda, etc. I've seen they added things like the Puma, Dicker Max, etc. Those look very interesting. But I want to ask for some recommendations. I want to play with tanks that behave similar to the Panzers or to the early British. Can be any nation, I don't care.

I've played nearly all tanks of every nation, apart from a couple high tier stuff, but the mid stuff is my fav.

Similar tanks are:

USA: All M4 variants up to 5.0

Soviets: All T-34 variants up to 5.3, and also the KV's

Japan: Chi-He, Chi-Nu, Chi-To, Chi-Nu II

Italy: P40 Leonchello (no joke)

France: Not really anything to be honest. Lorraine 40t and AMX M4 are fun.

Keep in mind, the Panzer 3 and Panzer 4 are probably the best at their BR - i'd say the ones that get the closest to them, like the very closest are the T-34's, such as T-34 1940, 1941, 1942, E STZ, T-34-57, and both T-34-85s. 

2-Can someone tell me also if the gameplay at tier 5 or 6 is? Should I invest on trying to reach those tiers at all considering the grind and all.

The game play at tier 5 and 6 is super, super different. It is playing like a whole new game. If you don't enjoy the Tiger I, I don't think you'll enjoy it. Most of it is camp or flank game play, and mostly one-shotted always. 

3-Something about planes now. What are the most satisfying turn fighters to play in AB? (I can't stand the horrible 10min climb before battle in RB + limited planes, ammo. I rather deal with AB wonky physics)

Almost all fighters from each nation, Mustangs, BF 109 and FW 190's, MiG's and La's, probably the most fun, the Spitfires, and all the A6's from Japan, all Italian fighters, and French ones are not so great.

Hope I helped, feel free to ask more stuff.

Edited by magazine2
  • Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to check those out!

Also, what more can you tell me of the high tiers? I would eventually like to atleast have a tank on those games. While I didn't like the Tiger, I do like getting up close an personal. I enjoy fast low profile deadly tanks but I also enjoy the little slower kind but with good armor. I loved the PZ3 and 4 because I could get very close and be effective while also being effective at long range. But with the valentine, I would get pretty close to enemies because I could rely on my armor. Although I have to admit, I have a very hard time spotting tanks very far away. I got a Smalish screen and tanks after a certain point are just tiny pixels that I can't see. xD

And it seems that the higher tiers are about ductapping binoculars to your head quite a bit. But if there is a way to maybe fight closer, either by ambushing or armor that could work for me.

I also enjoy TD gameplay alot. Hetzer, marder, stug and specially the jagdpanther is an absolute jewel of a tank! I believe I had a 70% victories with it even. I don't know if there any tanks up those tiers that can fit those roles.

medal

Talking about tier 6 stuff:

Top tier tank is fast, since the tanks are fast. Most of them have decent armour, but generally will die quite fast if not played right, since most people at high tier are the better players, since grinding that far takes good dedication. The M1 Abrams for example is super fast and has good arnour, you can cap quickly, and most importantly flank to side shot enemies. However, If you rush in as quickly as you can, if there is other enemies there you will probably not survive the second or even first fight. Another factor at this high tier is helicopters and jets. At this tier you need a solid line-up consisting of SPAA, MBT, and not necessary but vital is a jet or chopper. Remember, the newly added choppers have ATGMs that can shoot you from KM away, but are easy as heck to shoot down yourself. Jets are also super fast and can rocket you.

But, it is about binoculars. They are your second set of eye balls. You need to use them a lot to be more effective. Actually, that's at any BR.

Another factor is buy price of tank, repair costs and ammo costs. Sure, to an experienced player these are no issue, but if you've unlocked your first tier 5 or 6 tank, having 500,000 - 2,000,00 silver lions might not be ideal. High tanks such as MBT-70, Leopard 2k, Abrams, T-64, and Challenger cost around 1 million SL to buy. Their repair costs are high, sometimes a few kills and victory will not gain you a profit, especially as the good ammo costs 900 SL per shot.

As we're on it, have you tried the German 5.7 and 6.0 Panthers? For me they're so good to play. Give them a try?

If I were you I would play the nation's tanks you enjoy. Then, the grind will go much quicker. Continue to give them a go and don't focus on the grind too much.

Edited by magazine2

Thanks for the information. High tiers do sound a bit more complicated then what I remember. I did enjoy the early panthers a bit more then the Tiger. But I hated the later models.

medal

Back when you finished playing, the Leopard 1 and A1A1, M60 and T54's were high tier,  (7.7 BR)  I forgot. These tanks are still amazing if played right, but will require some practice, moving up from 6.7 and below stuff. But, if you enjoy getting up close and personal then these tanks are probably not for you, for example the Leopard 1 will literally die in one shot from anything at that BR. You need to go to the side of the map and flank in order to utilize its best potential. 

Edited by magazine2

Hmm....So the style of play I like seems to be part of the early war tank era. Hmm....I'll have to see for myself. I'll try and get other higher tier tanks from other nations. Maybe I'll get an idea for a style of play that I enjoy in the higher tiers.

medal

Well, if you're returning, then welcome back. Things have changed, and new stuff is here. Come back for a bit even if it's just to test fly/ sail/ drive some stuff and play custom battles. 

This is a videogame, have fun however you want to; that's really all that matters. 

medal

Grinding with premium these days through rank 4 is much easier, given RP cost reductions.

Rank 5 features variety. Your mentioned Germany, it has Leo 1, flank and spank, but also the oddities like Maus, which is situational but can be hard to kill and thus make good things for your team. Japan's STB 1 is similar to Leo1 and even better. Americans/British are slow-ish. USSR has variety : most things are slow and armoured, but BMP-1 and Obj120 feature a lot of firepower on a light chassis. France has Leo-like AMX's and then autoloading slow-ish monsters like Surbaissé or the very well armoured Foch. Personally I got the premium AMX-30 when it appeared and it dragged me into top tier tank games (played mostly planes before) since I found the aesthetic appeal and quicker gameplay much more pleasing.

Rank 6 is currently very volatile and not balanced, but it does not mean you can't enjoy it. There are two main schools of tank design that are featured there. The NATO (+Japan) tanks are all arounders when it comes to mobility-firepower-protection (safe the British who have more of a hull down tactics), USSR is more about small profile tank designs that have great frontal protection but are less mobile and are very vulnerable to flanking due to their ammo racks. However T-64 and T-80 feature unique ammunition like HE that is actually useful in close combat. Otherwise most tanks fire APFSDS (think the usual APDS, but even faster with more damage output, 2-3km precision shots are not rare especially given you have laser rangefinder tech).

Lineups matter a lot at the rank 6, and currently your best bets are US, USSR and Germany. I actually think that German tier 6 is a bit underrated (especially after the intro of the helis), so if that was your nation of choice I guess you can play up until rank 6 Leopards. 

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Greetings!

Welcome to the game and forums!
There are a lot of great tutorials and tips in the Academy section.

War Thunder Wiki also has good articles, tips and tactics for different vehicles and more!

Good luck in the air and on the ground! :salute:

medal medal medal medal medal