_JosephStylin_

Replace Mi-4 with Mi-8

Hi comrades...

So I was following the heli CBT, although I did not participate. As it just came out, I could not resist and went for the Russian branch. Sadly, all the "disadvantages" of the Mi-4 previously brought up by the community seem to be on point. 

So I was wondering, what motivates the Mi-4 being in the game, especially since:

AH-1: introduced in 1967.

Mi-4: introduced in 1953.

That is big a difference, and the Mi-4s feels to be completely overpowered by any other chopper. Couldn't we just replace the Mi-4 with the Mi-8 (also introduced 1967)? It virtually has the same armament, except for the forward facing machine gun, but I would trade that stick any time for the better overall performance offered by the Mi-8. The tech tree would also be more logical, since the Mi-24 is greatly derived from the Mi-8.

Slightly off topic:

I think Gaijin should also consider removing machine guns from tank turrets, or make them usable only if a crew member mans them, unless it can be operated from the inside (tank specific). The heli and its crew of early choppers is quite vulnerable to those, so it would be only fair if tankers would have to risk the safety of their own crews for the sake of extra AA protection.

Cheers.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 7
medal

Mi-4 is so amazing that I see much more Mi-24Ds than Mi-4s in Realistic Battles from the event tab :crazy:

Buying the Mi-24D is probably the only option at this moment if you want to play and grind russian helicopters.

I'm really surprised that people are not complaning about it.

Edited by RideR2
medal medal medal medal

Just hide the Mi-4AV from the tree, let the current owners keep it and replace it with the Mi-8 as the starting helicopter.

19 minutes ago, RideR2 said:

I'm really surprised that people are not complaning about it.

People have been complaining about it since day 1 of the closed beta test.

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 26/10/2018 at 22:34, *sigma__zero said:

People have been complaining about it since day 1 of the closed beta test.

not much tho. (or that complains were removed) heli forum is rather calm, tankers rage lot more ;) 

spaded it. never again.

and actually Hind A should be start machine for russian tech tree and next machine should be Hind B ;) 

Edited by LuftMaus
medal medal medal medal medal medal

Your standard Mi-8T could serve as the Russian entry level helicopter. no guns, and only carries unguided rockets. It could start off with the 4x UB-16 pods, with UB-32 pods as an upgrade. Maybe at BR 8.3 (it's base config does carry twice the rocket load of the base Cobra)?

Edited by MILESPARVUS
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Helicopter tree layouts and BR's need a drastic overhaul to be honest.

The USA get the pretty great AH-1G at 8.0, while Russia gets the awful Mi-4AV. Frankly I think they should either move the Mi-4AV to 8.0 at the very least, you could even replace it with the Mi-24A and remove its ATGM's.

If that is unpalatable move the Mi-24A and D variant down to 8.7, placing the other V and P Hind variants at 9.3 and 9.7 respectively and then having the Mi-35 at 10.0. At least then we have some sort of logical progression through the BR's instead of having everything at 9.7 more or less.

All this aside, I would like to see the Mi-8 in game. It's such an iconic chopper easily on par with the Huey that it really deserves a spot in the game.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 4
medal medal medal medal medal medal

I'd like to see the Mi-24A have its ATGMs removed and placed at 8.0, as a fair counterpart to the AH-1G. Weaker rockets than the Cobra, but more of them. Seems a fair tradeoff, especially as the S5Ks can't damage many vehicles at all.

Edited by Aerobane
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

Or Ah-1g could be move up to 9.0 and get AH-1S modification (AH-1G with TOW)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQLARDGkD1nrh9lXDaGSBQ

while UH-1B/C/D add for 8.0 with out ATGM.

• Confused 1
medal medal medal