Starflight00

High level tank crew can't spot enemies

I noticed this when I unlocked my KPZ-70. My level 128 crew with maximum keen vision on every crew member can't spot anyone anymore when I'm playing at Tier 6. 

Literally, it feels like playing RB with better vehicle handling : You get shot from 300 meters away, exactly where you're looking at but the crew doesn't spot it until I use binoculars.

Why ?

Edited by Starflight00
medal

Because Gaijin made it that way. The spotting system was redone well over a year ago due to hacker exploits. Now you have an inconstant spotting system probably tied to the wonderful RNG we all love. Your post is nothing new, and you can search for many, many, previous posts about it.

medal medal medal

10 hours ago, Starflight00 said:

I noticed this when I unlocked my KPZ-70. My level 128 crew with maximum keen vision on every crew member can't spot anyone anymore when I'm playing at Tier 6. 

Literally, it feels like playing RB with better vehicle handling : You get shot from 300 meters away, exactly where you're looking at but the crew doesn't spot it until I use binoculars.

Why ?

radio communication is also an important crew skill, in fact i trust more the radio comms than vision range.

plus, what was the thing that was shooting u? there are some 70% (in-)visibility things like rocket launchers that can shoot from behind a hill at that BR and are tough af to spot

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I think the real problem with spotting is that there are plenty of inconsistencies to how they reworked the model.  Remember, if it doesn't force you to grind, it's a low value improvement to Gaijin.

Also, it doesn't help that I've seen scenarios where planes spawn and immediately make you visible to the other team.  This doesn't appear to be consistent, and Gaijin doesn't seem willing to address the circumstances under which this occurs.  

• Like 1
medal

Is it possible, that crew visibility is related to each vehicles periscope and view ports? Each vehicle has its limitation and some worse than others. Just a thought. 

28 minutes ago, Gcav17 said:

Is it possible, that crew visibility is related to each vehicles periscope and view ports? Each vehicle has its limitation and some worse than others. Just a thought. 

This is absolutely the case. It varies based upon the layout of the vehicle's sighting devices (type, technology, limitations, etc), viewports, crew positions. damage to those devices, damage to crew members (dead crewmembers can no longer spot anything of course). This is true for all vehicles in the game. As another poster here said as  radio communication is just as important (radio down= crew members cant talk to each other to report targets as efficiently)  as is the commander's skill for leadership (which gives a boost for all of this).
Cheers.

• Thanks 1

My line of sight increase says +7 but when I click to apply it only goes up 6. this has happened every time I go from 701 m to 707 m. I went to grade 3 math I know 1 plus 7 equals 8.

I hate to break it to the comm co-ordinator and everyone else posting 'helpful hints' but I'm running a T92 spaded with expert quals and (I think) a level 145 crew. Everything is absolutely on the maximum except for a point or point and a half for repair time and viability, and whatever more I get from the ace qual that I don't have*.

When I get down and dirty in urban battles I have on several occasions rushed into a seemingly clear zone and exploded, to discover that there was a tank in front of me that was never seen, and 4-5 more within a few hundred meters that were also never seen. All of them suddenly "pop" into vis ID and map marks the moment I'm hit, but never before.  Radio comms are maxed on this one, guys, and there were other players nearby not long past that should have seen and transmitted something.

The absolute most aggravating ones are when I'm attempting to line up a sniping shot by "ID" and the opponent simply disappears. I have to get out of scope mode, they pop back into being, and I have to scope back in and get my shot off quickly or the tag goes away again. No, they aren't directly discernible visually, but there's a deep disparity between magnified vis and third person. Binocular mode will rarely trip a visual ID as well, even though the game "says" all distances should be 3x during use, and some tanks pop in once back in 3'rd person mode.

It's one of the more obviously broken mechanics that I've been vocal about for a long time. I even bug reported it once and got blown off as it being the normal LOS mechanic.

I think it's related that map markers never really seem to appear for enemies around spawn, when in the garage, even when someone else has spawned and should see them. They are of course on the map the moment I spawn in, out in the open, surrounded by 6-7 vehicles that I didn't know were there. Not exactly a situation I'm keen to place myself in, you know? That happens, I die (usually well inside what's supposed to be spawn protection guidelines), and I turn red IRL and resist the temptation to break things because I feel outright cheated.

TLDR Yes, it's broken, nobody cares to do anything about it or even look into it, live with it and expect it to happen or quit playing.

*I also have an M22 in a slot that isn't max crew but has the ace qualifications, haven't dragged it out in a while but it suffers the same issues.

• Like 1

I say either get rid of it or make it functional in arcade.  This half a$$ implementation is a joke because of the ever present cheater does the function a diservice as well as the effort to fully have your crews trained at all levels and BRs.  I am tired of rolling by a point and then I get take a round shortly after.  

It's what that guy says up there about it being broken for ages and not being fixed. 

No matter your crew level you still get invisible tanks and empty mini maps. You can see them appearing and disappearing between the commander and gunner sights, same skill and you've not moved. See an enemy on the mini map yet they just dissappear even though again you are physically looking at them....

And it's utter poo that the crew look out the vision slots and that's what you can see as things like the M2 and open topped are effected just as bad as the rest. 

medal medal medal medal medal medal

Still broken, getting worse actually. Having all target IDs simply disappear while approaching field of play and not reappearing for quite a while is disconcerting.

And yesterday, right after a match started I climbed a dune and was shot from a direction I was looking in, saw the smoke arc of the shell appear out of thin air. As I sat and burned, watching, after 10 seconds three enemy tanks "Decloaked". That is, they rendered in, being previously INVISIBLE. THREE tanks, not moving, top of the next dune slightly over 1km away with nothing but clear air between.

And before anyone pipes up, "slightly" means 1.05 to 1.06km... 1050 to 1060 meters, and this was render distance NOT identication. Objects should render within the defined render distance *period*, that's a game engine setting and function and NOT skill related. It would be little different from driving along on Japan and having houses pop into existence at 1km instead of always visible.