Sign in to follow this  
_DK_

Napier Sabre II

I've been test flying the Tempest V recently and noticed this...

6Im4JgI.jpg

I'm assuming the engine is the Sabre IIA installed in the Tempest V (the IIB and IIC would actually give more boost than the A).

It's a bit hard to see but on the right, you can just make out that the engine is only producing +4 lbs/sq.inch at 3,700 rpm and at S.L (well 3,000 ft is basically the same atmospheric pressure). 

From a Tempest Manual which I have, this is the operating data with 100 octane grade fuel.

V1kT7jH.jpg

As we can see, with 3,700 rpm, we should be getting at least +6 lbs/sq.inch of boost.

I also re-ran the test with the engine warmed up to the figures above and it made no difference.

Just some small details which would improve the game and perhaps we should be getting slightly better performance from the Tempest?

• Upvote 1
medal medal

Cool! where did you get the manual?

Sabre engine seems to be generally weird right now. Does it suffer from the same startup bug that the typhoon has? In any case, I gather the real problem with the tempest is that its flight model is derped and it flies like a bomber, which is a bit sad given that it was probably one of the best prop-fighters of the war.

• Upvote 1

Shouldn't the torque in the Sabre-powered aircraft be to the opposite of Merlin powered aircraft?

medal medal medal medal

Yeah, the torque is in the opposite direction.

medal medal

The Typhoon Ib, Ib/L, Tempest V (the models ingame) were all cleared for 3700 RPM @ 7lb/sq climb (one hour limit) and 3700 RPM @ 9lb/sq combat power (5 minute limit). However this is not so, ingame, looking at gauges.***

Also since "WEP"... well, problem. I would consider it reasonable (due to flight time etc ingame) that 100% is considered 3700 RPM @ 7lb/sq for Typhoon MK1b/L and Tempest as they were cleared for one hour operation in these settings (effectively, continous ingame), and 3700 RPM @ 9lb/sq WEP (allowed for five minutes in standard conditions*).**

*regarding air temperature etc, I know they have a sort of thermodynamic engine for engines which tries or will try to simulate engine overheating according to various parameters when it is complete and working right.

**Afaik, for Typhoon Ib the 1hr climb setting was 3700 RPM, 6lb/sq and 3700 RPM, 7lb/sq combat 5 minute limit (it's "WEP").

*** The performance is there, the Typhoon Ib actually slightly overclimbs reaching 20000 feet sooner then historical by a bit and is sligthly slower then historical.

medal medal medal medal

Sign in to follow this