RAF_Loke

Getting a bit tired

1. How is it possible that the enemy can be hidden behind a rock when I can't "see" him, but he can see me, and hit me low? Happen several times.

2. Often end up in a game with higher ranking tanks, why?

3. I can't damage a higher ranking tank hitting them direct in the front, but a lower ranking tank can knock me out with one shot, what the h**l is wrong with this game?

Really had hoped it had improved the 1 - 2 years I've been way from it. Sadly it has not.

If you always get uptiered, look at your lineup, so that there are no higher tier tanks/planes in them.

Also learn how to play your tank, know the weaknesses of the tank and it's strengths. 

medal medal medal medal medal

24 minutes ago, RAF_Loke said:

1. How is it possible that the enemy can be hidden behind a rock when I can't "see" him, but he can see me, and hit me low? Happen several times.

3. I can't damage a higher ranking tank hitting them direct in the front, but a lower ranking tank can knock me out with one shot, what the h**l is wrong with this game?

1: 3rd person using the external camera to look past items or around corners. Could be just barely peaking around said rock to shoot you while you didn't notice anything odd about said rock.

2: As NiccaMan mentioned -

1 minute ago, NiccaMan said:

If you always get uptiered, look at your lineup, so that there are no higher tier tanks/planes in them.

3: Learn the armor thickness of popular tanks within your BR range if you have a max BR range of 5.0 (NOTE: If you have an aircraft in your line up that is higher than your tank's BR. The game will take that as your max BR). Take a quick glance at 6.0 - 4.0 tanks to see where you could hit them with your tank of choice.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

1. Gun depression? They were shooting through a crack between rocks? Hard to say without a replay or photo to explain.

2. The matchmaker works on a +1/-1 basis , a 3.0 BR tank can face 4.0 tanks or 2.0 tanks. Some BRs can be prone to getting uptiered.

3. What Plzdontkilldave said. Also learn the weakspots on tanks. You have a protection analysis tool in the hanger , use it.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal

3. Can also be the ammo types being used...prot analysis tool also good for this.

Also...Some tanks have weak spots... Opp may know it and pen frontally...

2 hours ago, RAF_Loke said:

Could be several things. The enemy could be using binoculars to peek over the top of the rock, for example. In snowy maps it could be that the top layer of snow is not solid, so you could be exposing more of your tank than you think you are when peeking over a hill. It could be something else altogether. If you want specific advice then you should try posting a link to the server replay so everyone can see what's going on.

3 hours ago, RAF_Loke said:

Because Gaijin created a matchmaking system where everyone gets uptiered all the time. In all seriousness, some BRs are uptiered more often than others. For instance, 4.0 very rarely gets downtiered to face 3.0 and is most often uptiered to 4.7, probably because there aren't many 3.0 tanks and 4.7 is a very popular BR.

3 hours ago, RAF_Loke said:

Depends on what tank and/or ammo you're using. Again, unless you post specifics there's little advice we can give you.

• Upvote 1

I understand the matchmaker system of BR 1.0+/-, however, when I take out my German 7.0 tanks, I am always (and I mean always) upteired by 8.0 tanks (and the freakin IS-7). So, where is the minus - sign like when do I ever get to go up against all BR 6.0 tanks. Yeah, I get tired of this $#&@ too.

The OP does have a point about invisible tanks. The spotting system is messed up and always has been since they changed due to jerks using hacks to exploit it. So, the hackers get to take credit for changing the game on us. I'm aggravated because I have maxed crews on keen vision. Just look at the mini-map on the spawn page. I can't even see my own team to know what spawn point to use to help out. Half of my team is invisible.

• Upvote 3
medal medal medal

Yes maybe they can peak over, but surely not shot and hit when hidden 100% behind a solid rock formation (no snow). I see it as a missmatch in game as it would not be possible. Maybe I have done the same to others without knowing.

I used a M4A1 & 2 (76W) against a Pz IVG, and the same against a M6A1 which also killed me instantly. When I used the M6 against same type of tanks I use now, I had no way of killing them with one shot. And I tried with different types of ammo on different range. 

Wish I could show you track files of it.

I would suggest that you aren’t targeting weak spots but your opponents are. Take some time to check out the vehicles you are facing but also those you are using. For example, all Shermans can be very easily killed from the flank by pretty much anything that they face.

medal medal

7 hours ago, RAF_Loke said:

Wish I could show you track files of it.

You can show the server replay. Unless the PC interface is different you can access it from the "Streams and replays" option on the Community menu on the top left corner of the main screen. The best thing about the server replay is that it shows exactly what the server "saw" at any given time, so you can tell if the problem was on your end (e.g. lag issues) or not.

Another thing is that if you think enemies are shooting through obstacles based on the replay of the death of your tank it could be because the shell trajectory shown there is just a simplified version of what really happened. I'm not sure if that's why you think they're shooting through rocks or not.

7 hours ago, RAF_Loke said:

I used a M4A1 & 2 (76W) against a Pz IVG, and the same against a M6A1 which also killed me instantly. When I used the M6 against same type of tanks I use now, I had no way of

killing them with one shot. And I tried with different types of ammo on different range. 

All those tanks are capable of one-shotting one another frontally with the correct type of ammo and shooting at the right place. Use the Protection Analysis tool to check for weaknesses, it's very useful. The M6A1, for example, can be quite trolly because of its design. Go to the Protection Analysis mode, pick the 76mm Sherman's M62 shell and drag the cursor along the M6A1's hull to see how often it changes colors.

Berlin, east end where there's the long kill corridor from the street running north/south. I'm in an M26 north, peeking out looking south at a Tiger II that's also peeking out, trading shots. There's a sliver of a Sturer Emil's tracks where it's behind the Tiger.

I pop out, take a shot, and reverse behind the corner. At the point of incident only my hull front and track tips would have still been out of hard cover.

I explode. The game tells me that the Sturer Emil has managed to penetrate my mantlet with a round that had no physical option but to travel through an entire city block worth of buildings that are coded as hard cover. Needless to say I went as ballistic in chat as my turret went ballistic on the field.

I don't know what exactly goes on when stuff like this is obvious, I reported the player just to have someone witness it from replay, good or bad, hack/bug/luck. It happens often enough to be dispiriting, I'll say that.

1 hour ago, Catskinner said:

Check the server replay as the kill cam nearly always describes a straight line whereas the replay will show the actual path travelled by the round.

That's for vertical deviation. Horizontal path is identical.

Unless the Sturer Emil is capable of throwing a curveshell around the city block it passed through....

3 hours ago, mfree80286 said:

The game tells me that the Sturer Emil has managed to penetrate my mantlet with a round that had no physical option but to travel through an entire city block worth of buildings that are coded as hard cover.

Not all buildings as coded as hard cover. Destructible walls and houses let shells go through. Some buildings in Berlin are destructible (they crumble apart after several shots or if they're hit by bombs) and they're hard to tell apart from the non-destructible ones. We can't tell for sure unless you share the server replay, though.

Ok... fine. It's simple. Maybe I'm too damned tired to bother, alright? I reported in-game and that's the end of it.

My opinion of this game and it's players are falling through the floor right now and I'm not sure it's going to have a resurgence.

• Haha 1

Happen last night, a kv-1 could knock me out while I was clearly safe behind a house. I knew where he was and was just waiting for him to pop out. But noooo, he can see through walls. My a**! 

Future is with Tank Crew, there one wil also have all tanks from the beginning. Really looking forward to something better that this. 

Glad I haven't wasted any money on it. 

We all have n cases were we screamed "unfair"... my wife got a couple scares when i audibly voiced my disagreement about the way I died...

Last two I recall involved me firing first...a shot i assumed deadly... Then firing a couple more... And die to the first return shot...

After cooling down...

I made mistakes and shots were hurried...

Sometimes I get the lucky side of the history...

As i SLOWLY improve...I do less mistakes and get more luck

But...my wife still think I am SLOWLY losing my mind as i insult tanks on a large screen... ;)

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, RAF_Loke said:

Future is with Tank Crew, there one wil also have all tanks from the beginning. Really looking forward to something better that this. 

Researching, and concurring.

This is the best we have at the moment and Gaijin's going to throw it away by ignoring the basics.

Works for cliffs also, which is why never follow the advice to park beside cliffs or two story houses in an spaa to cover a flank.  They can shoot you, you can't shoot back (I tried the below shot, it's solid from ground up.).

Makes me wonder how much stuff in the maps is actually there for everyone.  It's certainly to the point where if I see a tag, I'll give it a try.  I also don't play enough anymore to remember which buildings are the more fake kind.

Some probably bugs or graphical shortcuts to make the game run faster.  Maps like Japan or desert maps it's by design, buildings are a lie heh.

Vid from below....

Edited by Bunnymanxx
  • Upvote 1

Buildings taken individually can be concealment or cover.
Buildings en masse, rocks, hills, are cover and should behave as such always.

TREES, even the biggest ones... let me put it this way, before WWII rounds were tested in inches of pine and inches of hardwood, and .30 ball didn't have much trouble zipping straight through nearly 2 feet of pine or oak. The giant oaks in Ardennes/Wallonia need to disappear in a lethal cloud of splinters on the first hit, not soak a half dozen AP rounds.

If I blow down a small tree so I can shuffle myself around a little area and get out of someone's LOS for a second or two, and the tree falls without issue, why can I always expect to poke out for a look, then try to reverse back to full cover and find the same small tree holding me up, standing as tall as it was when the battle started? I've blown trees down directly in front of me and had them immediately pop back in to their original positions four or five times before it "stuck" so I could get up that hill....

Listen, I write mods for other games. I'm not talking about a wrap for a weapon, I've done entire DLC sized worlds, basically altering every single aspect of the game engine and what's presented to the user. If the engine gave me this much trouble over object state tracking, I'd either be bypassing it with custom script or giving up entirely. It smacks of landscape destructables not being thought of as object references in the native code, because all that would need to be done is to have a 2 bit status flag with values null(normal)-damaged-falling-destroyed, with a collision event changing the flag and whatever visual routines this engine has checking that flag a little higher in the priority list because it will actually save overhead to not have that object springing back and forth between states. Fell the tree, mark it fallen, never show it again because it's marked destroyed. Maybe give the client side a one-shot trap so if the tree reference ever has a destroyed flag, it's never rendered in that match again.

*sigh* who knows. My favored modding platform is a clunky, buggy mess of 2000's era code adapted to run real-time with a parallelized custom scripting language that gets real weird, real fast, and keeps me from diving too deep into meshes because it's tool chain is outdated and what has been adapted is either impossibly arcane or impossibly expensive subscription software. And yet, I make it work.

Gaijin's devs seem to have deep, deep problems... and as a tip, it starts and might even end with a good UNIVERSAL version control solution. No dev works on anything that's not the revision everyone works on, right? Right? Nobody's working a little long on a revision that gets rolled in to the codebase and accidentally overwriting a new patch with old code, right? Right?!?

Dude the game has turned into total Bull ****. How do you shoot a tank in the turret and get critical hits and they just turn and shoot. I have even shot a KV-85 in the side of the turret from under 200m with a 88mm shell from a Tiger H1 and it did nothing, I'm calling BS on that. 

Edited by Saleen385
medal medal medal medal