This is my control layout for War Thunder on Xbox one. It works for all flight game modes from Arcade,RB and Sim battles or Custom.

It gets rid of wobbles and gives you the smoothest view controls possible and explains how to get 12 extra programmable buttons on your controller to use!

I began testing the game engine for war thunder back in 2008 on the PC with Wings of Prey and tested every version of the game engine through to release of War Thunder in 2011 and all the console versions in between.

I have done all the early alpha testing and worked with the Gaijin team using the controller during all that time.

I am constantly asked for my control layout and honestly the default controls in WT on Xbox one are total garbage, so I wanted to share this with all of you to enable you to have a level playing field against PC players using mouse and keyboard.

I highly recommend using stick extenders called FpsFreaks.

These are extensions that extend the length of the sticks on the Xbox controller.

If you like WT , this is the best $16 you can spend at your local game store!

With my control layout and the FPSfreaks, the level of control you have rivals even using a Flight stick on the PC version and I have tested this control layout against my Saitek X52 flight stick so I can say that with experience. I will also add that this control layout works for all modes of of WT, from arcade to Sim Battles, so you will also be prepared for when the Xbox version gets SB.

It still works great without the extenders but they give you that extra smooth edge.

I wish you all the very Best of Luck and Happy Flights! Sincerely, Desode

PS If this helps, Please subscribe to my channels, I will be doing more tutorials and War Thunder videos in the future!

Edited by Desode
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2
medal

Hello Desode, great post!! Love the intro with the music & graphic as well as the ending too, looks familiar LOL. Great job, can't wait for your next videos.

Edited by SGT_Quinn_NSU13

I had this really great friend help me slap the clips together and save me a lot of time!  You may have heard of him? He goes by the name Quinn!  Lol A Big thanks to him! :)

• Like 1
medal

I just start playing on consoles and I do not understand, because on PC players aim at the mouse, and you on consoles publish relistic controle, which is more difficult to master. Can not set the gamepad under the pointer to keep players on the PC? The pointer aim seems more accurate. Why U do not creat The pointer aim controle for gamepad?Can anyone explain it to me?

If, however, it is wrong and indeed the controls for the real gamepad is so accurate, can someone make a recording how fly on realistic controlling gamepad against PC players ? In AB game for example

Edited by *Versedi

8 hours ago, *Versedi said:

I just start playing on consoles and I do not understand, because on PC players aim at the mouse, and you on consoles publish relistic controle, which is more difficult to master. Can not set the gamepad under the pointer to keep players on the PC? The pointer aim seems more accurate. Why U do not creat The pointer aim controle for gamepad?Can anyone explain it to me?

If, however, it is wrong and indeed the controls for the real gamepad is so accurate, can someone make a recording how fly on realistic controlling gamepad against PC players ? In AB game for example

Most everyone that I know on console fly's realistic battles. When you use pointer aim, you do not have full control of the aircraft.

In Arcade the aircraft do not have full flight models for the planes so they all fly pretty much the same.

In realistic battles every plane is different and has it's own individual flight model.

I do have a couple of friends that fly Arcade every now and then but that is 2 players out of 50+ players.

They use the realistic controls to play arcade also because they want to fly the plane and not just click on the screen and let the plane fly itself.

Honestly , when it comes to arcade mode, mouse aim is always going to have a advantage.

To put it simple, a mouse uses a person's entire arm to control the movement and on a controller a person is using their thumbs.

That is a Massive difference. It is much easier to use a person's entire arm to make fine movements while using your thumb to do the same is more difficult.

In my opinion this is why pretty much everyone I know on console flys RB.

In RB you can learn and master the full ability to fly a plane and beat PC players by simply using tactics and knowing the different aircraft and their individual abilities.

Further more in realistic once you get used to a certain plane you can then turn off instructor and all of the PC players pretty much use instructor so that they do not enter a stall or a spin.

Once I get to know my individual plane, I turn off instructor because it limits my ability to use the maximum ability of that individual plane.

With instructor off, I do have the risk of stalling the aircraft or loosing control and going into a spin, however I can then do things that a player using instructor can not accomplish.

That gives me a even greater advantage.

War Thunder on default controls uses pointer aim and that is a huge disadvantage for a person using a controller. That is my opinion.

That is the main reason I use this layout and I fly Realistic battles.

From your previous post, you want your view controls better, so just try setting up the view controls I have in the video. They are super smooth and give you the ability to look around your plane extremely smoothly.

Also I will add, that which every control layout you have highlighted in the controls area works in every single mode of the game, so if you select realistic controls in the "Controls area" you can then go and play Arcade with those controls.

The ONLY difference between realistic controls and Simplified controls is turning on instructor, so for example if you do the control layout in my video and then just select simplified the controls you just set up with be the same in "simplified". 

As a matter of fact if you are in the realistic controls area and you then switch on Instructor, it just moves you to "Simplified" on the controls tabs.

Try these controls and see how you like them, go to the realistic tab in the controls area and put them in by following the video and when your done then just switch your tab to simplified(Instructor on) and then go play a Arcade battles match. 

The first thing you will notice is that you are actually controlling the plane now.

Also note that as explained in the video you can adjust the sensitivity levels of yaw, and pitch and roll to your personal liking.

I hope that helps to further explain why this is here. Sincerely Desode

Edited by Desode
  • Like 1
medal

At first I thought this tut was for the Thrustmaster HOTAS for Xbox then noticed it's for a game pad.

Does anyone have a setup tutorial for the Xbox Thrustmaster?

• 3 weeks later...

Best setup yet and allows us console players to give PC mouse & keyboard players a good fight now!  Thanks again Desode....   My only problem is that I do not have force feedback (vibration) on my controller now when holding down WEP....  I have changed the throttle to LB to increase & RB to decrease.   I just miss that feedback in game.  Can it be fixed???

Edited by CWilliams210
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hey there Desode,

just used your video to setup my Xbox controller. Thank you very much for your video!

One thing I ran into when changing camera settings was that the game would ask if I wanted to replace or add the new settings to other controls that were also bound to the buttons that were modified, that took a little brainpower (Ace problems ;) ).

Thanks again for your very helpful efforts! 

P.

(weird: when I call myself a n00b, the website changes it to Ace :) )

Edited by PiwiKiwi1967

On 23/09/2018 at 12:18, Steiner1 said:

At first I thought this tut was for the Thrustmaster HOTAS for Xbox then noticed it's for a game pad.

Does anyone have a setup tutorial for the Xbox Thrustmaster?

I haven't made a video and I know this is an old post but I can help out if needed on setting up keys on the Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS One. I still use a controller for tanks and ships but planes and helicopters I use the HOTAS.