Chieftain Mark V for 8.3!

The Mark V doesn’t offer enough in the way of improvements over the Mark III to justify the 8.7 BR Firstly its win rates at abysmal at 49-46-57 (AB-RB-SB), it’s significantly slower than stock T-55A, Type 74, M60A1 (AOS), T-62. The Type 74 has near identical armour , is faster, and has better rounds (M735 APFSDS vs L15A3 APDS). T-55A has better rounds, more types of rounds (3 vs 5), a higher top speed, a higher HP/ton, higher agility, and better hull armour. I see no good reason as to why it has a higher BR than the Mark III the way the tank currently is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 23
medal

totally agree with you. chief mk5 should be 8.3.  i was playing my chief mk3 alot and after unlocking mk5,i noticed no improvement and just stop feeling any motivation to unlock mk10. instead of using mk5, i use fv4005 against 9.3 tanks. :burned:

Edited by Quasimodo91
  • Upvote 3
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I do find it noticeably more mobile, but it's pretty slight and even then only once you've fully spaded it - I can fully understand people just unlocking it now preferring to stick with a spaded MK3 than touching the 5 at all.

medal medal medal

Two options :

- Give acces of APFSDS with new name version : Chieftain Mark 5/2 and it cans stand on 8.7 BR. 

- Twin it with Mark 3 Chieftain in 8.3 BR, but we've less in 8.7 BR like 7.7 BR.

We can talk about Mark 10, it cans go down in 9.0 like the T-62M-1 ( changed BR in Dev server : 9.0 ) and they're similar with their armor extension/ammo efficacity. The difference is the mobility.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

11 hours ago, Whisky_077 said:

- Give acces of APFSDS with new name version : Chieftain Mark 5/2 and it cans stand on 8.7 BR.

even though i would love to pair it with my talismaned chief mk3 in AB, but apfsds option might be best.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, Quasimodo91 said:

even though i would love to pair it with my talismaned chief mk3 in AB, but apfsds option might be best.

My prompt is the Mark V is 8.7 unworthy AS IT IS. Adding L23 would be enough of an improvement to warrant a 8.7 BR.

• Upvote 1
medal

You mean change the name to Chief Mk 5/4 and give it L23. It would also need other external changes main ones being removal of the .50cal, installation of the TLRF and MRS.

It already has the wrong APDS (should have L15A4 and A5 NOT A3).

5/2 is the FV4211.

Chief Mk 10 should be 9.0 or maybe even 8.7 seeing as it has incorrect ammunition. L23 was phased out around 1983, 3 years before the Mk 10 entered service in 1986 (same year as CR1 Mk 2).

Mk 10 should have L15A5 APDS stock with L23A1 as the top round.

If it is given the correct ammunition it should be at 9.0, if it doesn't get it's actual ammo, 8.7 would be more than justified.

Edited by Shrike142
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal

3 minutes ago, Shrike142 said:

You mean change the name to Chief Mk 5/4 and give it L23.

It already has the wrong APDS (should have L15A4 and A5 NOT A3).

5/2 is the FV4211.

Chief Mk 10 should be 9.0 or maybe even 8.7 seeing as it has incorrect ammunition. L23 was phased out around 1983, 3 years before the Mk 10 entered service in 1986 (same year as CR1 Mk 2).

Mk 10 should have L15A5 APDS stock with L23A1 as the top round.

If it is given the correct ammunition it should be at 9.0, if it doesn't get it's actual ammo, 8.7 would be more than justified.

I’m happy with changing the BR or a buff but something needs to change.

medal

And APDS doesn't make something versus them : Chieftain Mark 3 versus T-55-AM-1 : 

7163967914144DCEEAD24A51E9576F47D0F57DDF

You seen here too " equilibred matchmaking ". 8 T-55-AM-1, 8/10 are 8.7 tank and we've only one 8.7 ( Mark V chieftain ). That's ridiculous. 

Ammo and fuel tank shot, only fuel tank touched and a little bite the loader. Where're the sparks ?

More : I see 105mm HESH is more effective than 120mm too with Centurion Mark X / Conqueror games. 

Edited by Whisky_077
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

They need to lower the BR or just need to add the APFDS as a module that makes the tank the MK.5/1 (I think that's the name of the upgraded one that carries the ammo) the T55 AM does everything better aside from reverse speed.

Also that ******* fuel tank on the t55am is so good at absorbing 120mm apds. 

• Upvote 1
medal medal

28 minutes ago, DrPhibes1 said:

They need to lower the BR or just need to add the APFDS as a module that makes the tank the MK.5/1 (I think that's the name of the upgraded one that carries the ammo) the T55 AM does everything better aside from reverse speed.

Mk 5/4

medal medal medal medal medal

• 4 months later...

You call a 46% winrate abysmal? Holy **** have you played the Leopard 1 or the Tiger 2/Panther 2? 36/43/45 % winrates are not too good either. On top of that Germany fights an almighty RU/US/FRA/ENG team 99% of the time which just roflstomps any Tigers or Panthers, especially at 6.7 which is just unplayable as any win you might get is because of beyond stupid enemys.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I agree, OP.

Chieftain mk.5 for 8.3.

Someone else suggested Chieftain mk.10 for 8.7.  I agree with that as well.

edit: Chieftain mk.3 should be 8.0 if they don't want them to be the same BR.

Edited by FormulaOne
  • Upvote 5
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Yes the Mk.5 needs to go to 8.3 ASAP.

Also I spy people mixing up Chieftain marks ;)

check the Spoiler :D 

Spoiler

The Mk.1 Chieftain.

The Mk.1 was the first production vehicle and was fitted with a 585bhp L60 engine. The Hull was of welded rolled steel plate with a cast glacis plate. The turret was cast steel with a rolled steel plate roof and bustle. The turret was fitted with a No.11 Mk.1 commander's cupola with split hatches. The Main gun was the L11.

Mk.1/1

Basic Mk.1 with automotive improvements to exhaust system and addition of main engine air cleaner restriction warning (the L60 strikes again)

Mk.1/2

Basic Mk.1 with No.15 Mk.1 Cupola in place of a No.11 Mk.1 cupola. Improved exhaust system, improved smoke dischargers. Top rollers fitted with floating seals. Four headlights with two IR and two white. Main engine air cleaner restriction warnings.

Mk.1/3

Basic Mk.1 modified to Mk.1/1 and "totem pole" conversion (see "other bits")

Mk.1/4

Mk.1/2 with "totem pole" conversion 11 examples converted to Chieftain Mk.6 AVLB.

The Mk.2

Fitted with 650bhp L60. New turret with improved ballistic protection. No.15 Mk.2 cupola fitted. New exhaust system and rear hull sealing for deep wading operations. Improved engine louvers for better cooling and accessibility. Mk.1/2 modifications incorporated during manufacture. 

Mk.2 (X)

Mk.2 with "X" "totem pole" conversion only.

Mk.2 (Y)

Mk.2 with "Y" "totem pole" conversion only.

Mk.2 (Y)/L

Mk.2 with fitting of "L" kit for TLS (Tank laser sight) C or No.1 Mk.1 TLS

Mk.2 (Y)/1

Mk.2 with TLS No.1 Mk.2 or No.3 Mk.1 and stage 1 Muzzle Reference system (MRS)

Mk.2 (Y)/2

Mk.2 on completion of TLS No.1 Mk.2 and MRS installation.

The Mk.3

Basic Mk.2 with stronger suspension units, oil filled axle arms, track tensioner and top rollers. Improved life 650bhp L60 Mk.6A with fan drive and dust extractor fitted. Improved performance and reduced weight H30 Mk.10A GUE. Improved starting system for low temperature operations. Improved ammo stowage fittings. Improved trackguards. No,15 Mk.2 commanders cupola fitted with periscope angled to minimize solar reflection also fitted with L37A1 7.62mm Machine gun. Improved 12:1 ration parking brake. easier access to rear of turret for gun barrel removal.

Mk.3 (X)

Mk.3 with "X" "totem pole" conversion only.

Mk.3 (Y)

Mk.3 with "Y" "totem pole" conversion only.

Mk.3 (Y)/1

Mk.3 with "L" kit for TLS "C" or No.1 Mk.1.

Mk.3 (Y)/2

Mk.3 on completion of TLS No.1 Mk.2 and MRS installation.

Mk.3/G

Originally classified as Mk.3/1 the vehicle had turret air breathing for engine aspiration. Only 6 of this model were built at ROF Leeds for Iran but were transferred to the British Army in 1969.

Mk.3/2

Modified Mk.3/G to test turret air breathing and normal engine aspiration. Commanders cut out switch for main engine and own firing switch fitted. Prototype laser mounting and wiring also fitted. Only 17 of these vehicles were built at ROF Leeds for the British Army.

Mk.3/S

Production model of Mk.3/G with turret air breathing facility as well as normal engine aspiration. Improved main engine air cleaner system. Reduced capacity of main engine oil tank and modified lubrication pipe work for new air cleaner system. Commanders cut out switch for main engine and commanders firing switch fitted. New type of gunner's hand wheel with firing switch fitted. Anchor block for HESH extractor tool fitted. 40 were built at ROF Leed the "S" stands for "Sandman" represented the synthesis of the Israeli trials of Chieftain.

Mk.3/3 and Mk.3/P

Mk.3/S with modified hull to except 720bhp engine. Improved engine air cleaner, reduced capacity of main engine oil tank. Exhaust system twin silencers replaced by a single expatiation chamber. Engine and transmission louvers redesigned and mesh screen added. Fuel tank isolation valve fitted. No.59 Gunners day sight fitted with gradicule for use with extended ranging gun ammunition and production type laser mounting and wiring. Redesigned NBC pack No.6 Mk.1. Drivers hatch securing clamps redesigned. The P of Mk.3/3P standing for Persia as 44 or the 100 built at ROF Leeds were for Iran.

The Mk.4

Two vehicles built at ROF Leeds to Israeli specification but Israeli production order canceled in December 1969. 02SP96 and 02SP96 (the two Israeli Chieftains) were completed in 1970 and underwent desert trials at the US army proving ground in Arizona in 1971. 02SP96 subsequently reworked with Hydro-gas suspension system as part of the FV 4030 development program.     

First the Mk.5 standard and Mk.5/P

The Mk.5 is the definitive Chieftain model and is developed from the Mk.3/3. It is fitted with a 720bhp L60 Mk.7A engine with a strengthened gearbox, new low restriction exhaust system, revised air cleaning filters for GUE, battery heating and lagging for enhanced starting. The engine covers and transmission covers were also revised.

The turret is fitted with the improved No. 43 gunner's telescope and commanders collimator fitted with graticule for extended range. Ammunition for the ranging gun was reduced by 50% The ammo charge bins were modified and ammunition stowage was increased to 64 rounds of 120mm ammo for the L11. The L11 was fitted with a new thermal sleeve and the gun clamp design was revised. No.37 Mk.4 commander's sight, infrared detector and No.6 Mk.2 NBC pack also fitted. Commander's cupola machine gun capable of elevation to 90 degrees.

Mk.5/P for Iran built to same standards.

The Mk.7A L60 engine

Where to start......The Mk.7A had a new cylinder block introduced with re-positioned port belt deflectors. The redesigned liner had 9 air ports and 10 exhaust ports. The connecting rod clearance slots were reduced at the air end. The piston featured a central bowl and the crown screws were locking in by Helicoil. Injection timing was 18 degrees, reverting to 16 degrees before exhaust TDC. The exhaust flanges were now bolted. A Twin-bodied heat exchanger was introduced together with new radiators. There were changes to the fan speed and blade settings. Casco MLF replaced Wellseal and in July 1972 Belzona was used behind the liner seals.

Mk.5 sub marks.

Mk.5/L: Mk.5 with fitting of "L" kit for tank laser sight "C" or No.1 Mk.1

Mk.5/1: Mk.5 on completion of of TLS (Tank Laser sight) No.1 Mk.1 or No.3 Mk.1 and MRS (Muzzle reference system) installation.

Mk.5/2: Mk.5 on completion of TLS No.1 Mk.2 or No.3 Mk.1 and MRS installation. The Mk.5/2K built for Kuwait is the same as the Mk.5/2.

Mk.5/3: Mk.5 on completion of TLS, MRS and improved fire control system (IFCS) and modifications to the commanders cupola. The Mk.5/3P was stage 1 of the FV4030 project for Iran which had increased mine protection, extra fuel capacity, shock absorbers on the first and third suspension bogies and an automatic gearbox.

Mk.5/4 Mk.5 with modifications for stowage of APFSDS ammunition and a revised sight graticule.

Now for the Mk.9, 10 and Mk.11

Mk.9: Mk.5/4, Mk.6/4, Mk.7/4 and Mk.8/4 on completion of full APFSDS ammunition stowage.

Mk.10: Mk.9 with Stillbrew passive armor and other survivability modifications including the No.11 Mk.1 NBC pack

Mk.11: Mk.10 fitted with TOGS (Thermal observation and gunnery system)

Other bits

Totem Pole: The "Totem Pole" conversion program was undertaken to upgrade earlier Chieftain marks to a similar fire control system and automotive standard as the Mk.5 with the later 750bhp Mk.8A L60. It was divided into three aspects "X", "Y" and "Z". "X" was mainly concerned with the fire control system, "Y" and "Z" related to automotive improvements of Chieftain.

The "X" program was instituted to make the sighting system compatible with the extended ranging gun ammunition by modifying the gunners day sight and telescope as well as the commanders collimator with new graticles. Other improvements were made to the sight mountings and coupling links.

The "Y" program introduced numerous modifications and improvements including: Low-loss air cleaner for the L60, 12:1 ration parking brake, commander's firing switch and engine cutout, TLS sight mounting and modifications to the gunners day and night sights, Changes to sight stowage and revised air cleaner system for GUE.

The "Z" program was originally intended to be undertaken during base workshop overhaul and mainly involved modifications to enhance the reliability of the L60 engine and regularize the build standard of the Chieftain fleet. But it also included improvements such as oil-filled running gear assemblies, better metadyne cooling, fitting of the No.6 Mk.2 NBC pack and a new gun clamp. The program was extended to incorporate improvements such as power supply boxes and fittings for the Clansman radios. All Marks of Chieftain fitted with Clansman radios from the Mk.2 onwards have the suffix C given to them for example a Mk.5/4C Chieftain would be a Mk.5 Chieftain with APFSDS stowage and Clansman radios.

Most of this info is from "Chieftain Main Battle Tank 1965-2003"

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...