Marton XV-01 / RMI-8 X/V (Extended )

Add RMI-8 X/V Marton to the game?   

94 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to add to the game?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • Yes ad as premium!

RMI-8 X/V

I'd like to introduce the Hungarian RMI-8 X/V „Márton” interceptor/fighter!

The plane and the official documents destroyed due to a bombing, so we only know half offical data collected by László Winkler and War Thunder player: "miltaccfd"!

History:

The Weiss Manfréd Steel and Metal Factory bought and built several Dutch Fokker. The Fokker D.23's blueprint also got to Hungary sometime around the Capitulation of The Netherlands. A lot of engineers from Fokker worked at the Hungarian industry in those years and they were responsible for the D.23 and other dutch licensed planes.

download.jpg.2bb4ab7ac7fd6e227c393f24bf6
In the archive of László Winkler we can find photos of Fokker D.23 with Hungarian decals, that confirms the previous claims.

The D.23 was obsolete for the war, so they alloyed it with the Hungarian assebled BF 109 G's parts and solutions, and this is how the basis of the RMI-8 Márton has came into existence.

By 1943 the design of the RMI-8 became complete and they started to build to first prototypes.

In 1944 an allied bombing destroyed the RKM facility, with a wood-metal prototype, all of the official blueprints, plans, flight-/testlog and dozens of other complete RMI prototypes.

(From now on we will deduct and compare the RMI-8 with the D.23 and Gustav Messers in flight capabilities and experience)

Design:

Modified Bf 109 G fuselage, redesigned wing a little bit moved to the rear, improved and strengthened Fokker D.23 tailholder, and Fokker D.23 frontal landing gear at the place of the oil radiator, what's pushed forward.

Here you can see the difference between the RMI-8 and the Fokker D.23 :

The side and top layout/plan of the RMI-8:

Martonrmi8_02.thumb.jpg.7175d982d5095348136098865_r_D23-Marton1.jpg.afe4a1d343c8

Specifications: (from: A Magyar Királyi Honvédség fegyverzete [Armament of the Hungarian Royal Army] - Bonhardt, Sárhidai, Winkler;  ISBN: 9633271827, 9789633271827.)

Length: 10.2 m

Span: 11.8 m

Height: 3.5 m

Engine: 2 x Daimler-Benz DB 605AM (push-pull configuration, like in the Do 335),
Power output: 2 x 1,475 PS (1,455 hp), and 2 x 1,800 PS (1,775 hp) on the better fuel 
Takeoff power output: 2 x 1,635 (1,600 hp) and 2 x 2,000 PS (1,973 hp) on the better fuel 

Empty weight: 2,850 kg (Bonhardt & Sárhidai) , Our estimation: 3,350 kg

Loaded weight: 3,800 kg (Bonhardt & Sárhidai) , Our estimation: 4,250 kg

Max. speed: 800 km/h (Bonhardt & Sárhidai), Our estimation: 750 km/h, on 6,000 m, during a horizontal flight

Max. speed limit: ca. 860 km/h

Climb Rate: 18.5 m/s

Optimal climb velocity: ~320 km/h

Turn Time: 21.1 s

Armament:

1 x 30 mm Mk 108 (65 rpg) nose-mounted or 1 x 20 mm MG 151 cannon, nose-mounted (200 tpg) at the frontal engine

2 x 8 mm Gebauer nose-mounted (500 rpg), [1500 rpm]

+ 2 x 20 mm Mk 151/20 (135 rpg) wing-mounted,

or  2 x 30 mm Mk 108 (65 rpg) wing-mounted.(at the wing's 'root' {like in the Dora FW's})

No payload. (It is an interceptor)

Armour: (from Bf G)
60 mm Bulletproof glass in front and rear of cockpit.
10 mm steel around the pilot
4-8 mm steel plates on pilot seat
4 mm around the fuel tank (less weight, and the rear of the fuel tank was defended by the rear engine)

The 400 litre self-sealing fuel tank is behind the pilot seat, (just as in the Bf's), and is enough for 40 min.

From the journal of the Repülö Müszaki Intézet (Aviation Technological Institute)

Very easily controllable, very agile (can even out turn a BF), does not drag in either direction appreciably, rear engine liable to overheat, gear and flaps withstand relatively high speed (340 and 560 km/h);  above 740 km/h pitch and roll movement start to narrow down, and tail section became unstable above 10 G. Do not shake either firing or falling . Good performance on low speeds

Inherited problems because of the Fokker tail section:  needs minimal jaw correction during high-turns.

Stall below: 210 km/h (180 with landing flaps).

Source:

Winkler László - Data and every picture with the "Winkler Archiv" text on it.
The archive can be found at the HM Hadtörténeti Intézet and Múzeum. (Ministry of Defence Military History and Museum)
A Magyar Királyi Honvédség fegyverzete [Armament of the Hungarian Royal Army] - Bonhardt, Sárhidai, Winkler;  ISBN: 9633271827, 9789633271827.)
A repülőgép és a repülés [The airplane and flying] - László Varga

Winkler László:
In 1938, he became acquainted with flying modeling, and he dealt with it during the war. At the end of the 1950s, he started collecting documents from the incomplete period of the Hungarian flight history, and his notes were the most trusted in this topic.
Modeling can be greatly assisted by a model airplane prepared according to his suggestions, which can be purchased at the Balaton Model.

(Thanks for FrankTamas for the translate)

Edited by DarthGergely
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 8
medal medal medal

Open for discussion. :salute:

• Thanks 1

I was thinking about suggesting this plane myself.  But I'm not bitter, you found more information than I did!  I just learned about this plane the other day and I'm very impressed by it.  It would be a fantastic addition to the Italian tech tree, as Gaijin has said that future minor axis vehicles will be placed there.  

All the +1s.  

:fighter:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Thank you Milocat ! I was made in the past this suggestion but that not was good and haven't got important information so We extended and remakes :D 

• Like 1
medal medal medal

+1 Az muszáj hogy még egy magyar repülőgépek!! --> (We need more Hungarian aircraft!!) and not just rank 1 premium aircraft (he is lonely, give him a bigger brother!)  Make it a premium rank 2, 3 or 4, heck bundle it, I'd still buy it.  I would even resort to pushing people out of line to get it :D

DarthGergely, thanks for your efforts in presenting this fantastic aircraft!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

@AN_TRN_26 Thank you! Nem csak az én munkám volt :D NAgyon örültem hogy szerezhettem információkat a gépről ami mára már az álmommá vált (bekerüljön ingame Our estimation is , this plane is in rank 4 in 5.0-6.0

medal medal medal

7 minutes ago, DarthGergely said:

@AN_TRN_26 Thank you! Nem csak az én munkám volt :D NAgyon örültem hogy szerezhettem információkat a gépről ami mára már az álmommá vált (bekerüljön ingame Our estimation is , this plane is in rank 4 in 5.0-6.0

6.0 is too much, it's much like the Zwilling (which is 4.7), just slower, but with better turn time and elevation speed.

Edited by FrankTamas
  • Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal

3 minutes ago, FrankTamas said:

6.0 is too much, it's much like the Zwilling (which is 4.7), just slower, but with better turn time and elevation speed.

Yes...that's a fact... yes in 4.7 is good

medal medal medal

RMI-8 has better roll- and turn time, climb faster, has closely the same armament with additional guns as the Zwilling. It has a better speed and it is a smaller target. It is born to be a high tier prop around 5.7-6.0 :D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal

Not to add to anyone's excitement, here is a photo of the plane which gives you a good view of the rear and with it's flaps extended.

738141633_MartonXV-01.png.15ddcb17007d34

Yes, that's right, I am picturing myself being the guy standing there, getting into the cockpit and flying off into a War Thunder domination map to go shoot down some bad guys!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AN_TRN_26 said:

Not to add to anyone's excitement, here is a photo of the plane which gives you a good view of the rear and with it's flaps extended.

738141633_MartonXV-01.png.15ddcb17007d34

Yes, that's right, I am picturing myself being the guy standing there, getting into the cockpit and flying off into a War Thunder domination map to go shoot down some bad guys!

@AN_TRN_26 that picture is from a not certified source, many claims that it is a photoshoped picture. (I dont know where they found a RMI-8 picture and place it there on the field)

Edited by FrankTamas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal

It probably is photoshopped, but it's still cool to look at (It's probably a model, the tires look a little stiff).  The guys are a little small compared to the aircraft, the pilot might need a telephone book or two to see over the instrument panel!  This is the reason this plane needs to be added to the game, for historical purposes, to preserve it, give people an opportunity to see it and what it was like to fly it.

Edited by AN_TRN_26
  • Upvote 3

Yes, this would be interesting to have.

• Like 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Well it's about as valid as stuff like the Bf 109Z and R2Y2, so I could see this being a premium on the Italian tree, even if calculating a flight model would be difficult.  The only thing I should state is that I think even your estimate of a 750 km/h top speed could be a bit too optimistic (I could see 715-730 km/h being achievable), but we'll see.

Edited by Z3r0_
  • Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal