Centurion 105mm

Right guys, it's been a while since I've been in the forum and frankly it's because I'm bored of being ignored by gaijin. However, on principle, here I am to complain yet again about how poorly the 105mm performs on this game. The 105mm Centurion was the reason that the Conqueror was retired from service, this was because the L7 105mm and its ammunition was more than adequate to deal with Russian tanks of the time. These would be T-55s and T62s by this point.......so why isn't it enough on your game? I'm sick and tired of seeing 105mm APDS bounce off a 1947 T-54 or a HESH round's scab stopped by a fuel tank or a driver. Bullsh*t. You're a Russian company and you probably like your tanks, some of your forefathers were probably forced into them through conscription as Russia tried to hold onto its "Empire". However, reality check ladies and gents, your wagons can be found strewn far and wide across the world, many of them burnt out hulks......this is because they weren't all that fantastic after all. Granted, crews have a massive part to play, I know this as I myself am a crewman, a Challenger crewman (and boy have I got some stuff to say on your depiction of the Challenger) however, whilst Russian tanks have usually been good all rounders, they haven't dominated in every aspect of the infamous triangle. 

The 105mm should not simply be bouncing off every surface going, especially not at the ranges that I so frequently watch them richochet into the sky.Stop finding new tanks to add and fix the bloody game you've got infront of you. 

APDS needs a buff as does HESH. It's that simple. Centurion Mk10 should perform alot better and should, after you've made the changes, have a higher BR of 7.3. 

You can keep ignoring me on here but I'll just start tagging you in articles on the tanks.being.tanks facebook page that I co-run with it's 160,000+ subscribers and draw parallels between the tanks and their ingame depictions seeing as we've started touching on video games a little in recent. 

Cheers

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 7
medal medal medal medal medal

giajin did buff HESH, probly because of the AVRE sales. we just have to wait for another premium with a 105mm gun, that fires APDS. then maybe we wouldn't have to plan for 2nd and 3rd shots like other nations.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

4 hours ago, P0rcup1ne said:

giajin did buff HESH, probly because of the AVRE sales. we just have to wait for another premium with a 105mm gun, that fires APDS. then maybe we wouldn't have to plan for 2nd and 3rd shots like other nations.

Sorry buddy, they buffed HESH a little after nerfing it into the ground to begin with. Neither ammunition type behaves correctly against their intended targets. Currently as any other time in WT history, the British are getting shafted. It's boring and it's incorrect. If the T-54 was anywhere near as resilient as the game makes out, then there wouldn't be thousands of them lying in ruins all over the world.  

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal

Right now the 105mm is so bad that I think the 84mm is performing better. The APDS feels like a rubber bullet when I’m driving my Centurion MK10, and the HESH is even worse! Of course, all APDS seems badly modeled right now, since the 70-something-mm thick mantlet of the Leo 1 keeps bouncing 120mm rounds from my Conqueror... 

• Upvote 4
medal

3 hours ago, CRGKevin said:

Right now the 105mm is so bad that I think the 84mm is performing better. The APDS feels like a rubber bullet when I’m driving my Centurion MK10, and the HESH is even worse! Of course, all APDS seems badly modeled right now, since the 70-something-mm thick mantlet of the Leo 1 keeps bouncing 120mm rounds from my Conqueror... 

I also feel like Centurion Mk10 doesn't bring that much to the table over Mk 3. I have started using MK3 as a back up to Conqueror and its quite amazing. Turret is way stronger and you can play hull down, faster reload and APDS isn't much weaker. 20pdr can deal with Ufp and turret of T-54 51 like up to 600m to 1km. Plus there is historical factor since Mk3 was Conquerors peer.

medal medal

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I feel that this game is becoming somewhat more random. One game playing my british 7.0 lineup, my APDS bounces off the helmets of a gunner, or gets deflected by a headlight or just outright vanish through the side of a tank. The next game it deletes tanks like it was shooting 150mm APHE shells. Through the front, sides, turrets doesnt matter, tanks pops left and right. Then next game its nothing but ricos and failed penetrations.

And its the same for the Conqueror. Suddenly it OHK´s everything, then next game a center mass shot to a Tiger II results in broken transmission and dead driver, while he aims at my gun and his 88mm APHE squeezes in between the barrel and mantlet, killing everything inside.

medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 1 year later...

Why is this gun still so bad.  I am not exaggerating when i say i bounce around 70% of my shots with this againsty tanks it has no place bouncing, 20pdr would destroy these targets.  eg other night 3 shots around 30 metres into the side of a t-44 turret, i dont understand how this gun is so BAD.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

6 hours ago, Razielkaine said:

Why is this gun still so bad.  I am not exaggerating when i say i bounce around 70% of my shots with this againsty tanks it has no place bouncing, 20pdr would destroy these targets.  eg other night 3 shots around 30 metres into the side of a t-44 turret, i dont understand how this gun is so BAD.

I'm not discounting what you are saying, but I just haven't experienced it...on the contrary the 105mm has been slaying everything for me (just finished spading the Mk10 and Vickers MBT last night). Is your ping/packet loss high or something maybe?

Anyway, good luck I hope it starts playing ball for you!

medal medal medal

32 minutes ago, MattS93 said:

I'm not discounting what you are saying, but I just haven't experienced it...on the contrary the 105mm has been slaying everything for me (just finished spading the Mk10 and Vickers MBT last night). Is your ping/packet loss high or something maybe?

Anyway, good luck I hope it starts playing ball for you!

I do have high ping always but that's just part of being Australian.   I feel different about the gun when using the vickers but on the mk10 it is so bad and I don't know why.   I know I can pen when using the 20pdr tanks I bounce on with the 105

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, Razielkaine said:

I do have high ping always but that's just part of being Australian.   I feel different about the gun when using the vickers but on the mk10 it is so bad and I don't know why.   I know I can pen when using the 20pdr tanks I bounce on with the 105

Hmm, well I'm out of ideas then...playing from the US here so generally stable aside from some crazy 900 ping moments probably causes by my computer updating itself or something.

BTW I'm always sorry to hear about your ping there in Australia. It's bad enough that every other creature on the continent and the surrounding waters is trying to kill you :lol2:

medal medal medal

9 minutes ago, MattS93 said:

Hmm, well I'm out of ideas then...playing from the US here so generally stable aside from some crazy 900 ping moments probably causes by my computer updating itself or something.

BTW I'm always sorry to hear about your ping there in Australia. It's bad enough that every other creature on the continent and the surrounding waters is trying to kill you :lol2:

It sucks because you are always half a second behind everyone at best and so many shots gets lost in the ether.   But it's all good 250 to 350 ping is playable in war thunder. 

• Upvote 1

Taken from "Centurion Main Battle Tank 1946 - Present Owners Workshop Manual" 

20190922_211705.jpg

Go into War Thunder and test the 105mm L28A1 against the T-54 1947's glacis, you'll see it'll give you a yellow indication suggesting a chance of penetration when this is clear evidence that the 105mm L7A1 could punch straight through that level of armour. Additionally the 105mm struggles against the shape of the mantlet of this exact T-54, the L7A1 was designed specifically to defeat the T-54 and yet it can barely destroy one in game

Heres what Gaijin need to do:

- Increase APDS spalling across the board allowing more damage output for guns firing this ammo

- Improving HESH spalling and preventing HESH from getting caught on strange protrusions of armour or being absorbed by boxes / track links when not contacting them

- Ensure the accuracy of the 105mm gun is improved allowing long range engagements to be much more successful and ensuring shots land where they were aimed at NOT several meters to the right or left of the target

- Making sure the 60° penetration has been corrected. I read that  the 105mm guns 60° penetration was changed and if this is true it needs to be amended

Edited by *Hurricanefire32

I think my problem is mixed up with its bounce chance against angled armour.  I think it is far too bouncy against armour it shouldnt be because of the made up bounce percentages. As I said 20pdr does very well against many tanks the 105 regularly bounces off. 

• 2 weeks later...

Good new and bad new : UFP corrected and.. Mantlet ? What ? 200mm to 152mm .. MARK 3 turret is better now..

Centurion Mk.10 - the thickness of the additional armour plate at the front has been changed from 44 to 51 mm. The thickness of the gun mantlet has been changed from 200 to 152 mm. Source: Centurion 7,8,9,10 (fully modified) armour details, F.V.231921. Centurion 7,8 plate thickness, F.V.231921 // The Centurion Tank, Pat Ware, Brian Delf // Centurion Tank - Bill Munro, 2005

We need that trunnion block ( is missing )..

Edited by Whisky_077
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

9 minutes ago, Whisky_077 said:

Good new and bad new : UFP corrected and.. Mantlet ? What ? 200mm to 152mm .. MARK 3 turret is better now.. 

Centurion Mk.10 - the thickness of the additional armour plate at the front has been changed from 44 to 51 mm. The thickness of the gun mantlet has been changed from 200 to 152 mm. Source: Centurion 7,8,9,10 (fully modified) armour details, F.V.231921. Centurion 7,8 plate thickness, F.V.231921 // The Centurion Tank, Pat Ware, Brian Delf // Centurion Tank - Bill Munro, 2005

So.. If the Centurion Mark 5/2 or Mark 6 come in the game.. They'll be better with the L7 gun and Mk3 turret ? 

They must have discovered that for a brief moment the other day I caught myself actually enjoying myself while playing a vehicle in War Thunder. I swear sometimes I wish my wife would just hold a pillow over my face while I'm sleeping, LOL.

• Like 1
medal medal medal

Typical. Instead of adding that "fix" when they model trunion they just rush it to live server and cripple a tank that is already purly modeled and basically broken... There is no point in playing Mk10 over Mk3 now. I have played Mk3 as a back up to Conqueror for more than a year now. Better turret, faster reload and apds that can pen T-54s anyway

medal medal

18 minutes ago, MattS93 said:

They must have discovered that for a brief moment the other day I caught myself actually enjoying myself while playing a vehicle in War Thunder. I swear sometimes I wish my wife would just hold a pillow over my face while I'm sleeping, LOL.

I enjoyed the bugged turret face on the Pz 4 H too.

Was reported, instantly fixed.

APHEBC massively overperforming and benefitting Russians?

Stays for years

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

45 minutes ago, Whisky_077 said:

And let me guess... they still haven't fixed the turret being able to be penetrated by machine guns right?

Anyway mk 3 turret was always better, as it has an additional 100 mm plate behind the outer 160-200 mm one that covers much of the mantlet and makes it more trolly

Edited by Dantheman66
  • Like 1
medal medal

You know what I'm tired of this bs. How come Russian tanks can achieve ridiculous amout of protection in mantlet area and other nations somehow are so stupid that they end up with an upgraded MBT that is actually downgraded?

Recently I viewed armour models of this other tank game and to my surprise mantlet of Centurion and Conqueror is superb and frankly I don't even care if this other game is "unrealistic", because atleast they are commited enough to do some reaserch befre modelling a tank! You know what else is unrealistic? 

This!:

Spoiler

482159676_shot2019_10_0119_08_46.thumb.j

I rather have a health bar than get nuked by broken APHE.

medal medal

12 minutes ago, FilipAleksanderS said:

Yeah it's quite funny

You've got tanks like m60, m48 and now centurion with massively underperforming mantlets

Then of course there's the modern vehicles as well which gaijin have always screwed over in terms of mantlet protection (CR2, Leo2 ect)

Then of course there's russian tanks getting volumetric armour while NATO vehicles that badly need it (e.g chieftain) get no such treatment

Edited by Dantheman66
  • Like 1
medal medal