TheElite96

IS-7 - Questions, Information, Gameplay

Keep the comments civil and constructive, rants and off topic will be removed.

Please also keep in mind that this is in no way an official thread, I (or my peers) cannot answer questions officially.

The mighty IS-7 is upon us in public battles, let's discuss it!

Spoiler

The experimental IS-7 was the pinnacle of development in Soviet heavy tank design, and it was significantly ahead of its competitors. Old-school heavy tank, it was the heaviest, most powerful, and well armored Soviet tank in the first half of the 20th century!

The development of this advanced Soviet heavy tank began in early 1945. Several outstanding scientific groups got involved with the work at once, and the new vehicle was supposed to combine all the latest developments and a great deal of military experience in the design of heavy tanks. After creating several prototypes and experimenting with the engine, armament, and suspension, a steel giant was born and christened Object 260, with the letter designation IS-7. Weighing 68 tons, the heavy tank was equipped with a naval diesel engine that took the monster up to a fantastic 60 km/h. The tank was armed with a powerful 130 mm rifled cannon with mechanized first-order ammo racks and an amazing eight machine guns: two high-calibre 14.5 mm KPVs (one twinned with the cannon and the other an anti-air gun) and six 7.62 mm RP-46 machine guns The armor of the IS-7 is its main feature with high protection value, along with a range of advanced technological solutions, some of which were successfully used on more modern tanks.

Unfortunately, the tank turned out to be very expensive for a country that was recovering after World War II. Mass production would involve a range of technological problems. In addition, transporting the giant IS-7 was very complex, it required special railroad platforms and the tank’s weight exceeded the maximum load for the majority of Soviet bridges of that time. After the construction of several prototypes and a limited experimental series, the project was closed.

The tank is armed with the 130mm S-70 cannon with its characteristic lattice-like muzzle brake. The gun has two types of shells: armor-piercing, with roughly 250 mm penetration at 500 m, and HE shells. The weapon’s strong suit is its good penetration with armor-piercing shells, high accuracy and range. The primary mechanized loading system and two loaders can reach a rate of fire of 6 shots per minute. Its weak points are its low ammunition complement (30 shots), lack of more effective shell types and the miserly vertical aiming angle traditional for Soviet guns. As a pleasant bonus to the gun, there are two high-calibre 14.5 mm machine guns that can be a thorn in the side of a lightly armored enemy while the crew reloads the main gun.

(Source)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

Looks like it is performing exactly as predicted - as a heavy-armour tank with a conventional large gun (just APHE, no -FS of any type) - it's murdering when it is top of the heap, and is a bit of a patsy to 8.3's and above with advanced ammo.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I would like that gaijin model at least one of this two things:
1) Is not an autoloader, is an mechanism that assist the loader, the loader has to manually move the propellant into the carrousel that goes into the breach.

2) The gun has to be at 0° to be load with the carrousel, because the carrousel has its position fix behind the turret (thats why the oscillanting turrets exist)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal

It performs great when it is against 8.0 or 7.7 but if it gets uptiered to 9.0 XM-1's destroy it easily but overall it is very fun to play

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

The impression I get from playing the IS& is that of a t54 or is6 . except you have a bad gun for 8.0 . Nerfed auto-loader.

Having a real hard time( like not possible to ) penetrating the lover and upper plates of t-54s . 130m should be braking trough everything. bouncing of japanese med tanks upper hull? IS 7 is a big target and even though sometimes it survives allot of hits that is until they shoot the lower plate, *instant death). you cant hide lower plate cause no gun depression, that gives me depression. this tank is an equivalent of is6 I kid you not. It is exactly the same. IS 6 armor is good enough to stop apcr but useless against heat, the IS7 performs exactly the same EXACTLY. 

But that is how I feel about the IS7, did you guys/gals have a different experience of it so far?

TheElite96 (Posted )

Merged with existing thread
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

41 minutes ago, RuthlessEvil said:

The impression I get from playing the IS& is that of a t54 or is6 . except you have a bad gun for 8.0 . Nerfed auto-loader.

Having a real hard time( like not possible to ) penetrating the lover and upper plates of t-54s . 130m should be braking trough everything. bouncing of japanese med tanks upper hull? IS 7 is a big target and even though sometimes it survives allot of hits that is until they shoot the lower plate, *instant death). you cant hide lower plate cause no gun depression, that gives me depression. this tank is an equivalent of is6 I kid you not. It is exactly the same. IS 6 armor is good enough to stop apcr but useless against heat, the IS7 performs exactly the same EXACTLY. 

But that is how I feel about the IS7, did you guys/gals have a different experience of it so far?

I have no problems at 8.0 pretty much destroying everything in my path...the only tanks I'm really having trouble killing frontally is the T-54 1947. '49 and '51 models I can pen easily from the upper plate as long as they're not angled.

1 hour ago, TheElite96 said:

I have no problems at 8.0 pretty much destroying everything in my path...the only tanks I'm really having trouble killing frontally is the T-54 1947. '49 and '51 models I can pen easily from the upper plate as long as they're not angled.

I was shooting from a hill down into a t54, no pen 3 times( almost 90 deg angle)... 130 mm worse than 122 mm of t10 . Doesn't seem legit. Also if they take away the fast auto loader then they should let the autoloader replenish faster . Taking away something and not replacing it seems not fair and its not historically accurate.

1 hour ago, RuthlessEvil said:

I was shooting from a hill down into a t54, no pen 3 times( almost 90 deg angle)... 130 mm worse than 122 mm of t10 . Doesn't seem legit. Also if they take away the fast auto loader then they should let the autoloader replenish faster . Taking away something and not replacing it seems not fair and its not historically accurate.

not an autoloader, its an assisted loader.

the loader still needs to drop the charges.

medal medal

This suffers from the T29 MG syndrome and that needs to get fixed.

The MG should not be that slow to traverse.

What is the point for an AA MG if you cant track a stationary PO-2 with it?

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 07/08/2018 at 14:40, DeusInAbsentia said:

It performs great when it is against 8.0 or 7.7 but if it gets uptiered to 9.0 XM-1's destroy it easily but overall it is very fun to play

XM1 shouldn't be 9.0 so its a bad example to put it against.

The IS7 overall I feel should be 8.3 based on its performance as a Pinnacle of traditional tank design much like the Maus is 7.7 of Germany's traditional design

Its armor can be very trolly when shot with conventional rounds, largely reasoning for 8.3 or even 8.7 is its incredibly fast reload (autoloader), powerful shells, and incredible armor and speed. It basically has it all.

Similar Tanks such as AMX-50 Surb has comparable firepower but has no such armor and mediocre speed but is 8.0

Edited by Neokolzia
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

This is from 3 years ago, but still some interesting and relevant information.

Does someone have detailed information about the M-50T engine ? in the event its suposed to use 48 valves, but im really curious about this information !!!

ohhh just found this !!!

As a result, OKB-800 together with the designers of the Kirov plant in a short time suggested for use in the "facility 260" diesel M-50T with a turbo-supercharging capacity of 1050 hp. This engine was intended for torpedo boats, and was a zadrosseley version of the aircraft engine ACh-30 power of 1800 hp.

Specifications (ACh-30B)

• Type: V-12, turbo-supercharged, four-stroke, diesel engine
  • Bore: 180 mm (7.1 in)
  • Stroke: 200 mm (7.9 in)
  • Displacement: 61.04 L (3,725 cu in)
  • Dry weight: 1,290 kg (2,840 lb)
Edited by TempestRiser
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Is there any way to inspect the armour of IS-7? There is a gush of IS-7s in the game, and it would be fair to see the armour preview ( and the x-ray) of the tank like all the other tanks.

Edited by ozke1000
wrong typing - not native english writer

TheElite96 (Posted )

I believe you can preview it via the Workshop menu on the "Coupon" for the IS-7.

3 hours ago, ozke1000 said:

Is there any way to inspect the armour of IS-7? There is a gush of IS-7s in the game, and it would be fair to see the armour preview ( and the x-ray) of the tank like all the other tanks.

Yes in top right, Click Shop -> Inventory -> Workshop -> Assembling IS-7 -> Click on the Purple IS-7 Coupon -> Bottom right Select Preview

However when this event ends I don't know where we can find this option in future

Edited by Neokolzia

On 07/08/2018 at 16:11, TheGun31 said:

I would like that gaijin model at least one of this two things:
1) Is not an autoloader, is an mechanism that assist the loader, the loader has to manually move the propellant into the carrousel that goes into the breach.

2) The gun has to be at 0° to be load with the carrousel, because the carrousel has its position fix behind the turret (thats why the oscillanting turrets exist)

It also historically had a stabilizer so I mean 

medal

1 hour ago, *blitzen999 said:

In that case, it would be a 8.3 Vehicle which wouldn't do too well.

4 hours ago, *blitzen999 said:

No it did not. 

What was developped for one of the prototype was a sort of a mechanical auto trigger device when the gun matched the position of the sight, which is often miss interpreted as a one plane gun stabilizer.

Moreover this kind of gun behaviour is already simulated in the game by default in the game due to mouse aim where the gun will constantly tilt up and down to stay spot on the cursor position whereas IRL non  stabilized  guns would be fixed in position when the tank was on the move. 

The gun on the IS7 was never equipped with a one or two plane stab. 

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Heard a LOT of people complain about IS-7... The speed, the autoloader, the armor... Honestly, on its 8.0 BR it is exactly where it should be. Any chemical round will easily punch through his turret (RU251 for example which is 6.7) and if you hit it with M103 AP shell (BR 7.7) you will most likely disintegrate it with a massive ammo rack explosion :). If you dont have such a powerful gun or chemical round just aim slightly right and above its barrel when he's foolish enough to look straight at you. Some sort of weak optics port, shells go straight through and at least kill the gunner (ammo rack in most cases). If you see him sideways dont shoot his side or turret. Aim for the space between the tracks and hull and watch the fireworks :D

medal medal medal medal medal

If you dont have time to aim, just destroy the gun of the IS-7,  the repair will take some time for him, so he cant fire back. After your shot into his gun, rush forward and finish him.

medal

On 16/08/2018 at 04:05, DarsVader said:

Heard a LOT of people complain about IS-7... The speed, the autoloader, the armor... Honestly, on its 8.0 BR it is exactly where it should be. Any chemical round will easily punch through his turret (RU251 for example which is 6.7) and if you hit it with M103 AP shell (BR 7.7) you will most likely disintegrate it with a massive ammo rack explosion :). If you dont have such a powerful gun or chemical round just aim slightly right and above its barrel when he's foolish enough to look straight at you. Some sort of weak optics port, shells go straight through and at least kill the gunner (ammo rack in most cases). If you see him sideways dont shoot his side or turret. Aim for the space between the tracks and hull and watch the fireworks :D

I can't pen it fromt the front with an M103 shooting M469 shells .. and definitely missed a few broadside shots with the same ammo. I rarely see an is7 go down to just one tank. The tank pretty much carries the whichever team its on. I would say 8.3 is fine, as it would limit its exposure to 7.0 tanks, which definitely can't kill it. A panther II and Tiger II 10.5cm are 7.0, and I wouldn't wish that match up to my worst enemy. An is7 would run circles around those tanks. An is7 vs a leopard 1 ... thats doable. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal

9 hours ago, Elgreggo said:

A panther II and Tiger II 10.5cm are 7.0, and I wouldn't wish that match up to my worst enemy.

have tried a few matches yesterday with both vehicles. My conclusion: no chance. I was dragged most of the time into 8.0 battles and yeah... absolutely no reason to play anything german 7.x apart from the Leopard 1 at the moment.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal