Young_Gully

Bomb/Rocket Spamming and Suicide

Yeah, we totally haven’t nerfed CAS enough.  *cough two rocket nerfs* *cough three bimb nerfs* *cough cannon accuracy nerf*.  Bouncing a rocket off of a Leopard 1’s turret is not okay.  An HVAR into the turret of a Wirbelwind should kill it, not just cripple it.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

On 21/08/2018 at 13:49, *Maj_Fox said:

What you describe is a learn to play issue.

What I describe is a common scenario for attackers. Learn to play? Maybe, I don't claim to be a great player, but let's not pretend it's as easy to kill yourself due to an environmental hazard in a tank as it is in a plane.

On 21/08/2018 at 13:49, *Maj_Fox said:

Yes there are players who enjoy the game as it is and that's why we need a compromise. And when that happens I'll play a lot more GFAB than I do now.

A compromise would be fine, spoiling the game for others because you don't enjoy it is not.

13 hours ago, Bunnymanxx said:

But when in air, suddenly they shouldn't have to 'deal' with the difficulties in flying, avoiding trees etc., oh no! it would be too difficult (as you mentioned).  It should all be a cost free freebie. 

Well, people could bring their own planes with their own ordnance instead, paying full repair costs and a spawn as in air RB. But no, there's this little thing called "balance" and the current system chooses planes randomly, with whatever ordnance and limitations and handicaps Gaijin wants to give them, spawning only when you or your team earned the right to do so. So players should pay full repair costs and a spawn to get whatever gimped plane the game randomly gives in a situation that can either be advantageous or disadvantageous? Sorry, but you can't have your cake and eat it too.

9 hours ago, Ska_King_Felix said:

Yeah, we totally haven’t nerfed CAS enough.  *cough two rocket nerfs* *cough three bimb nerfs* *cough cannon accuracy nerf*.  Bouncing a rocket off of a Leopard 1’s turret is not okay.  An HVAR into the turret of a Wirbelwind should kill it, not just cripple it.

I once bounced a Wfr.Gr. 21 off the side of a Hetzer. A 210mm rocket off the 20mm side of a Hetzer. I fired another of them at the rear of a T-34 and the engine swallowed it whole, 10.1kg of TNT going off and I think it didn't even put the engine on fire. I keep thinking the anti-plane brigade won't stop complaining until all you can spawn are Po-2s with no bombs and they'll still cry planes are OP.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, *sigma__zero said:

……...but let's not pretend it's as easy to kill yourself due to an environmental hazard in a tank as it is in a plane.

Spot on.

So, if we ignore accidental crashes caused by the environment and acknowledge that "Hull Beak" has been removed. Why do players continually use Suicide Tactics?

The only true answer is. They must get some sort of advantage. Yet every time someone suggests that you come back with an argument that they get no advantage. So I'll ask again, If they get no advantage why do they do it?

Cheers

• Upvote 1
medal

1 hour ago, *sigma__zero said:

I keep thinking the anti-plane brigade won't stop complaining until all you can spawn are Po-2s with no bombs and they'll still cry planes are OP.

If gaijin ever makes a game mode that excludes planes, that'll be the mode I will play.

I find it odd that the pilots can go have air battles without tanks, but there is no where tankers can get away from the damn planes.

• Thanks 4
medal

1 hour ago, HalbKana said:

If gaijin ever makes a game mode that excludes planes, that'll be the mode I will play.

I find it odd that the pilots can go have air battles without tanks, but there is no where tankers can get away from the damn planes.

Count me in. :)

• Like 1
medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, *Maj_Fox said:

Spot on.

So, if we ignore accidental crashes caused by the environment and acknowledge that "Hull Beak" has been removed. Why do players continually use Suicide Tactics? 

The only true answer is. They must get some sort of advantage. Yet every time someone suggests that you come back with an argument that they get no advantage. So I'll ask again, If they get no advantage why do they do it? 

Cheers

I said it before, rockets aren't going to do more damage when fired at point-blank range. Bombs aren't going to detonate quicker or have wider kill radius when dropped on the last second before a crash. The only planes that theoretically get better chances of pen would be cannon attackers, but when was the last time anyone was killed by a ramming Mosquito, Ju-87G or IL-2-37? So why people keep ramming tanks? It could be ignorance (people believing that somehow their attacks will be magically more accurate or people who don't know how to aim properly) or plain indifference, people choosing to drop ordnance on the first thing they see for the chance, however small, of getting a kill and wasting their aircraft in the process.

1 hour ago, HalbKana said:

Probably because it was a flight sim first before they added tanks. It's also much easier for planes to affect tank battles than tanks affecting air battles.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, SneakySausage said:

Tanks are in plane battles, they are just ais

Yeah, they're just props, there to be killed to enhance the heroic tales of the pilots.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
medal

As a Spaa main, its not really the planes that are the problem, most SPAA can easily swat planes, the problem is that SPAA, which is what you would use to counter them is oppressivly expensive to repair in AB, so you have to play very very carefully, and generally cant leave spawn due to how easy it is for you to be found and killed by tanks.

This means you cant stay near allies and protect them from planes like you can in RB, and it only gets worse as you go up the teirs

• Upvote 1
medal medal

On 24/08/2018 at 21:15, HalbKana said:

Yeah, they're just props, there to be killed to enhance the heroic tales of the pilots.

There to give winfx a reason to exist...

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 16/08/2018 at 11:36, mfree80286 said:

Even a lesser penalty would do...

- lose a plane, lose part of the crew (since you sent them up in the aircraft)

- lose the plane, lose 100 tickets (as if you'd been killed in the tank) (aka lose the planes, lose the game)

- lose the plane, count as a kill for the person you crashed into, but not for yourself

- lose the plane, nobody else gets to fly it for 2-3 cycles

- add automatic repair costs for airplanes you lose (aka 'slow burn' approach, where if a stick shaker blows 4 aircraft but wins the game in high fashion, gets 20k SL but notices later that he actually got -1k SL because ground vehicle repair and reload PLUS 4k repair cost each for the airplanes he used as manned bombs...)

These are all great ideas.  +1 for the lot.

On 24/08/2018 at 12:16, *sigma__zero said:

I said it before, rockets aren't going to do more damage when fired at point-blank range. Bombs aren't going to detonate quicker or have wider kill radius when dropped on the last second before a crash. The only planes that theoretically get better chances of pen would be cannon attackers, but when was the last time anyone was killed by a ramming Mosquito, Ju-87G or IL-2-37? So why people keep ramming tanks? It could be ignorance (people believing that somehow their attacks will be magically more accurate or people who don't know how to aim properly) or plain indifference, people choosing to drop ordnance on the first thing they see for the chance, however small, of getting a kill and wasting their aircraft in the process.

I can only assume it is because they don't to how to aim them.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Talk about some lame comments. First, if planes are bonus then why is only the enemy getting them when we are beating the snot out of them? We usually end up losing because all they keep attacking with is bombers so something is screwed up with the logic and algorithm. Second, its tank arcade and if anyone had sense their wouldn't be any planes, WWII ground forces were shelled with artillery but they were NOT bombed because they may end up killing their own forces. Taking the planes out period would make the game a lot more pleasant to play because unlike the team I am always tagged with the enemy works together. Its not a fair game ever because they always have the loser schmucks that are 100 level and Ace besides a good many I suspect reached the level before cheats started getting caught. I can name at least 20 with little effort because they are the same people that always make kill shots across the map, have no marker and kill you at the start of the game or have totally impenetrable armor but kill you like you have none when you both have the same tank. The planes should just be trashed in any ground battle because they are a game changer for teams with no skill or constantly available for the schmuck that should be in a different battle. Its pretty obvious the algorithm doesn't account for basic, expert or Ace skill level and it really should to be fair.      

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Renamed66343 said:

Talk about some lame comments. First, if planes are bonus then why is only the enemy getting them when we are beating the snot out of them? We usually end up losing because all they keep attacking with is bombers so something is screwed up with the logic and algorithm. Second, its tank arcade and if anyone had sense their wouldn't be any planes, WWII ground forces were shelled with artillery but they were NOT bombed because they may end up killing their own forces. Taking the planes out period would make the game a lot more pleasant to play because unlike the team I am always tagged with the enemy works together. Its not a fair game ever because they always have the loser schmucks that are 100 level and Ace besides a good many I suspect reached the level before cheats started getting caught. I can name at least 20 with little effort because they are the same people that always make kill shots across the map, have no marker and kill you at the start of the game or have totally impenetrable armor but kill you like you have none when you both have the same tank. The planes should just be trashed in any ground battle because they are a game changer for teams with no skill or constantly available for the schmuck that should be in a different battle. Its pretty obvious the algorithm doesn't account for basic, expert or Ace skill level and it really should to be fair.      

Sigh....here we go again. Another day, another post of yours,spouting the same old trash. And you've even necro'd an old thread to do it.

It's not that everyone cheats. It's not that everyone bounces shots. It's not that they kill you with impossible shots from across the map.

But what it is, is this : you're not very good at the game. You're not beating the snot out of anyone, ever!

The enemy team may well be getting all the planes in your games because you're not killing any tanks to stop them.

And do me a favour & read up on your military history. There are plenty of times when tanks have been bombed & attacked by close air support throughout many international conflicts.

I know you won't read this response, or more likely will just choose to ignore it  & will simply choose another random thread to post the same old nonsense about cheaters & how the game is set up purely to beat you down and the rest of the usual rants, but in case you do see this... Take a look at your stats and take a reality check. They're terrible. Because of how you play. Once you have done that, go to the academy section and see where you might be going wrong. Ask for help. Ask for someone to review your replays and see if they can give you some tips and guidance. Find out what you can do to improve your game so you don't see it in such a twisted, downright incorrect, way.

Even pm me and I'll be happy to help..

Edited by Pat_McGherkin
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 15/06/2019 at 14:41, Renamed66343 said:

Talk about some lame comments. First, if planes are bonus then why is only the enemy getting them when we are beating the snot out of them?

Because your not beating the snot out of them or conversely your also getting them

We usually end up losing because all they keep attacking with is bombers so something is screwed up with the logic and algorithm.

Tanks AND planes never just planes look at kill feeds after match i bet way more tank kills

Second, its tank arcade and if anyone had sense their wouldn't be any planes, WWII ground forces were shelled with artillery but they were NOT bombed

Tanks where bombed/strafed oftenish.

Many stories of it, several planes designed as tank hunters (hs129b-3). 

because they may end up killing their own forces.

Many airforce units kinda didnt care about collateral, America even had a unit dubbed americas luftwaffa (or something to this effect) based on this

Taking the planes out period would make the game a lot more pleasant to play

Maybe, maybe not

because unlike the team I am always tagged with the enemy works together

Hardly relates to planes

. Its not a fair game ever because they always have the loser schmucks that are 100 level and Ace besides a good many I suspect reached the level before cheats started getting caught. I can name at least 20 with little effort because they are the same people that always make kill shots across the map, have no marker and kill you at the start of the game or have totally impenetrable armor but kill you like you have none when you both have the same tank. The planes should just be trashed in any ground battle because they are a game changer for teams with no skill or constantly available for the schmuck that should be in a different battle. Its pretty obvious the algorithm doesn't account for basic, expert or Ace skill level and it really should to be fair.      

And the cheaters need to use planes?

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 16/06/2019 at 14:07, SneakySausage said:

Tanks where bombed/strafed oftenish.

Perhaps...but rarely while close enough to be fighting other tanks...close air support is a new-ish thing...contrary to many war movies...

Usual way to do it in WW2...RETREAT into safety and call airstrike...

And don't get me started on air support by heavy bombers...not even hollywood has B29s attacking frontline tanks...

That said...i actually like the planes and the war above the war...

Just TOO MANY of them...and ALL the time...

And the suicide tactics is pretty annoying...

• Thanks 1

Sorry for late reply, stable intrrnet connection hard to find last few days.

On 12/07/2019 at 20:43, *GhostSoph said:

Perhaps...but rarely while close enough to be fighting other tanks...

Planes performed cas for ground units in general (inf, arty, tanks,armoured cars etc). Its hard to know exact rates we could call this CAS defining close as within range of enemy ground units and im sure itd be a somewhat uncommon but far from rare event.

close air support is a new-ish thing...contrary to many war movies...

Not really new, existed since ww1. Its just gotten far more accurate, consistent and so forth as time goes on

Honestly i cant recall any story where they retreated before calling air support, im sure they did but my mind is blank atm.

And don't get me started on air support by heavy bombers...not even hollywood has B29s attacking frontline tanks...

Heavy bombers and mediums dId attack frontline units at times defo rare but not unheard of.

This mostly took the form of preplanned bombardments of large areas just before attacking it.

Some medium bombers particuarly at the start of the war sound like they did try to attack tatical targets aswell. With poor results.

Modern Heavy -Strategic bombers 

Do support frontline units and are increasingly being used as such. Particuarly in low intensity conflicts. Wonders of guided munitions

That said...i actually like the planes and the war above the war...

So do i

Think its about right tbh

It is, but no real good alternatives

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 12/07/2019 at 05:43, *GhostSoph said:

Infantry, yes. They could retreat to a safer place, hunker down as best as possible and call for an airstrike. A tank in an open field doesn't have that luxury. Keep in mind that tank battles were rarely like in WT and there were multiple tanks engaging each other at long ranges in open spaces rather than 32 tank melee inside a small town like in the game. CAS in WWII was often directed by an observer on the ground or or in an observation plane in the air, which could also possibly reduce the risk of friendly fire and collateral damage.

Yep, that is ridiculous, but it's Gaijin who chooses which planes can be spawned and I can kinda see where the decision comes from. They need to keep bombers in the game somewhat relevant and heavy bombers are a bit of high risk/high reward type of plane in the mode. Big payloads mean multiple potential kills, but they're slow, vulnerable and hard to use versus an attacker with less payload but which is cheaper, faster, more agile and slightly less prone to get savagely mauled by fighters and SPAA before it can even drop its bombs. From gameplay standpoint they make just a little bit of sense.

It's not the planes themselves, it's the snowball effect of one team steamrolling the other, which leads to more plane spam, which contributes to one team steamrolling the other, which leads to more plane spam, which contributes to one team steamrolling the other, which leads to more plane spam, which contributes to... You get the point, right?

I can see it being lessened by some sort of game mechanic that stops or slows down the winning team plane spam after a certain threshold, but IMO, if you have enough points to spawn a plane you should be able to do it regardless of how good or bad both teams are performing.

As for suicides, I personally think it's dumb but mostly harmless.

• Like 1

I dunno what's going on but with the rubberbanding/stuttering in this game lately when I am doing ground pounding I have been noticing stuttering during the final stages of attack runs that cause me not to pull up p

Happens against planes too . Nothing like lining up a shot just to have the target jerk 200m in one direction so you miss 

Game has been a nearly unplayable mess lately from time to time

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal