I posted a video of my own tank controls a few days back but I wonder if a pinned thread here for all our own button mappings we have set up, whether it's for planes/tanks/ships would be better so we can all share our controls set up and make it easier to find a layout that works for us personally? 

Yay or nay?

I would rather they just change the default control to something more intuitive right off the bat as many people (that I have talked to) don't even realize there are options to remap the controls (a surprising amount of games don't allow it recently and I don't know why). Even heard some folks complaining how they had to do this insanely complicated xbox controller button remap (from console settings) just to play the game...

However, having more user control schemes available at a glance would be quite nice. Why don't we start on this thread eh?

(I can't post my control setup at present because I am at work. Plus, there are still a couple of tweaks I need to make for ships to be a bit more user-friendly for me).

4 minutes ago, Beta582 said:

I would rather they just change the default control to something more intuitive right off the bat as many people (that I have talked to) don't even realize there are options to remap the controls (a surprising amount of games don't allow it recently and I don't know why). Even heard some folks complaining how they had to do this insanely complicated xbox controller button remap (from console settings) just to play the game...

However, having more user control schemes available at a glance would be quite nice. Why don't we start on this thread eh?

(I can't post my control setup at present because I am at work. Plus, there are still a couple of tweaks I need to make for ships to be a bit more user-friendly for me).

Go ahead and I'll pin it.

• Like 1

I particularly love all those options, the only thing I would like was to be able to save multiple profiles. Because I would like to try other settings without losing the previous one. This is important!

The only thing that's killing me is the zoom sensitivity (pointer aim). It just does not work for me. Even leaving it to a minimum. I think it's a bug.

Edited by JamP

On 13/07/2018 at 09:50, gromvoiny said:

Go ahead and I'll pin it.

Sorry for late response but it is great to see staff on board with this idea!

This in my control setup (Warning: large images)

Tanks:

Spoiler

5dasYI6.png?1

QpoWgHO.png

gLW17DP.png

u8bzSNp.png

Ships:

Spoiler

Qqw28TO.png

SmgxLS0.png

fzxSz4a.png

Common:

Spoiler

pL0CGVb.png

wwv9Ji8.png

I didn't include Planes as I don't really play them much so haven't gone in and tweaked the settings to my liking.

On 17/07/2018 at 16:47, Beta582 said:

Sorry for late response but it is great to see staff on board with this idea!

This in my control setup (Warning: large images)

Tanks:

Reveal hidden contents

5dasYI6.png?1

QpoWgHO.png

gLW17DP.png

u8bzSNp.png

Ships:

Reveal hidden contents

Qqw28TO.png

SmgxLS0.png

fzxSz4a.png

Common:

Reveal hidden contents

pL0CGVb.png

wwv9Ji8.png

I didn't include Planes as I don't really play them much so haven't gone in and tweaked the settings to my liking.

airplanes?

30 minutes ago, dvxita said:

airplanes?

I don't really play with planes outside of Naval Battles and Ground Forces so I haven't really changed up the controls. The only real change I made was put the zoom and target tracking controls both on left trigger to help sight in strafing runs on aircraft and ground vehicles. Otherwise I am basically just using the default pointer aim controls.

On 13/07/2018 at 19:05, ThatRubberDuck said:

Oki doki I'll do the honours I figured I'd just post the link to Xbox clip probably easier than multiple screenshots, 

This is for tanks only and I have the elite controller so although my fire buttons for MGs and cannons are set to the L/R stick clicks it's actually the top paddles I use 

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/thatrubberduck/video/55772192

Thanks to ThatRubberDuck I've used your controller scheme on my elite pad and finding these controls so much better. I'm now starting to get a lot more kills. I love having the left and right track brakes on the paddels as I find I can turn much more quickly, I don't even use the left analogue stick now. Still having some issues with the sensitivity being to much. What are your settings for the analogue sticks in regards to this?

I'm having a really difficult time trying to map out everything. I've had to result to using a keyboard for half of my mapings for tanks. It's even harder for aircraft. Though using a controller for aircraft is suicide when playing against PC players or PS4 players with a mouse and keyboard. Hopefully Microsoft will issue full mouse and keyboard support soon. 

Edited by Emothic

14 hours ago, Emothic said:

I'm having a really difficult time trying to map out everything. I've had to result to using a keyboard for half of my mapings for tanks. It's even harder for aircraft. Though using a controller for aircraft is suicide when playing against PC players or PS4 players with a mouse and keyboard. Hopefully Microsoft will issue full mouse and keyboard support soon. 

What I found works best for Tanks and Ships is having a single button allocated to an "alternate" control function. Personally, I use LB. This allows me to have essentially double the possible button combinations without conflicting with any other controls.

Somewhat related but I was also tinkering around with control settings and it turns out that a keyboard is already fully functional for every key binding in War Thunder. Thought that was pretty cool and may add a keyboard to my control setup for some more critical controls (mainly to get rid of the multipurpose wheel that rarely works properly). Now if only a mouse was supported (Microsoft is actively working on this)

3 hours ago, Beta582 said:

What I found works best for Tanks and Ships is having a single button allocated to an "alternate" control function. Personally, I use LB. This allows me to have essentially double the possible button combinations without conflicting with any other controls.

Somewhat related but I was also tinkering around with control settings and it turns out that a keyboard is already fully functional for every key binding in War Thunder. Thought that was pretty cool and may add a keyboard to my control setup for some more critical controls (mainly to get rid of the multipurpose wheel that rarely works properly). Now if only a mouse was supported (Microsoft is actively working on this)

I've been trying to find the right combination of alternative buttons like you said. Though it is taking me longer to get use to it since I'm so use to playing with a mouse and keyboard set up on this game. I have set a lot of keybindings to the keyboard, which has it's benifits. But the major negative impact is that you will have to take one hand off of the controller to hit the keybind on the keyboard. Of which while doing that it prevents you from moving the tank, or aiming while doing so. 

Also for anyone with the xbox chatpad you can bind controls to buttons on that too like a regular keyboard however only single button functions work afaik, I have chat, cruise control up/down and statistics set to buttons on the chatpad, and no issues at all, 

Edited by ThatRubberDuck

I've been trying to search online, but I cannot seem to find definitive proof anywhere that the button mapping is supported with the Xbox Elite controller paddles. I want to assign different controls to these, but don't want to invest 150 dollars if it's not supported. Thanks!

Auscam (Posted )

Merged with - Xbox custom control mapping thread

On 21/07/2018 at 16:40, Rankfish said:

I've been trying to search online, but I cannot seem to find definitive proof anywhere that the button mapping is supported with the Xbox Elite controller paddles. I want to assign different controls to these, but don't want to invest 150 dollars if it's not supported. Thanks!

I use the Elite pad for playing tanks and it works ok. But if your asking can you assign all the paddels to different commands on the War Thunder controls panel then no you can't. It would be good though. The Elite Pad uses the Xbox Accessories app to configure the controller buttons and analogue curves. So as I've used "ThatRubberDuck" control scheme, we have track brake left on right on D-Pad left and right. We have then used the Xbox Accessories app to configure the lower left and right paddels to the left and right D-Pad function. Essentially have 2 lots of inputs on the controller do the same thing. 

Hope this makes sense.

Eddie 

On 19/07/2018 at 22:48, Eddie1982 said:

Thanks to ThatRubberDuck I've used your controller scheme on my elite pad and finding these controls so much better. I'm now starting to get a lot more kills. I love having the left and right track brakes on the paddels as I find I can turn much more quickly, I don't even use the left analogue stick now. Still having some issues with the sensitivity being to much. What are your settings for the analogue sticks in regards to this?

Sorry fella only just noticed your reply, glad it works for you I spent 3 days just fiddling with controls during games before being happy with everything 

I found the default sensitivity on the right stick for tank aiming too high,  eventually settled for nonlinearity set at 2 (basically makes it less senstive when near the centre apparently, good for fine tuning aim for long shots) and I lowered the multiplier to 0.7, give that a whirl and tweak for your preference , oh and make sure you set both axis the same 

Edited by ThatRubberDuck

On 24 July 2018 at 08:51, Eddie1982 said:

I use the Elite pad for playing tanks and it works ok. But if your asking can you assign all the paddels to different commands on the War Thunder controls panel then no you can't. It would be good though. The Elite Pad uses the Xbox Accessories app to configure the controller buttons and analogue curves. So as I've used "ThatRubberDuck" control scheme, we have track brake left on right on D-Pad left and right. We have then used the Xbox Accessories app to configure the lower left and right paddels to the left and right D-Pad function. Essentially have 2 lots of inputs on the controller do the same thing. 

Hope this makes sense.

Eddie 

I was looking into getting an elite controller but wasn't sure if the paddles can be mapped separately to all normal buttons and triggers? So basically I'd have 4 extra buttons/paddles to map on top of everything that comes with the standard controller. 

They can't be used as four separate buttons unfortunately which is down to Microsoft but I usually manage to find a more comfortable set up in games that allow you full custom mappings regardless

You can set the paddles to any other button as far as I'm aware, never had any issues with any of my mappings, 

Edited by ThatRubberDuck

Hi there, 

I have bought the game since it came out on early access, and love it compared to WOT...:)... However, there is one thing in the controls that is driving me crazy...

I am not sure if this is the right thread for that kind of request, but as this is my first post, I thought I would try here. 

When initiating auto-drive, the tank immediately stops if I accidently push my stick  a little forward. I know this makes sense on a keyboard, but it is absolute hell for me with a controller. I would like to ask Gajin if there is any chance that this can be adapted? I have looked in the control mapping scheme, but it does not allow more mapping then 'roll forward' or 'roll backward'.

If so, I would love it if the tank does NOT stop when pushing the stick forward.

If this has been adressed before (PS4 players?), or if I should do anything else to make such request, sorry... 

Any advice will be appreciated! Thanks! 

Edited by Guest

On 27/07/2018 at 18:02, ThatRubberDuck said:

Sorry fella only just noticed your reply, glad it works for you I spent 3 days just fiddling with controls during games before being happy with everything 

I found the default sensitivity on the right stick for tank aiming too high,  eventually settled for nonlinearity set at 2 (basically makes it less senstive when near the centre apparently, good for fine tuning aim for long shots) and I lowered the multiplier to 0.7, give that a whirl and tweak for your preference , oh and make sure you set both axis the same 

Thanks I'll give it try when I get the chance, maybe tomorrow night when the wife and kids go to bed!

Edited by Eddie1982

• 2 months later...
Guest myanime002

I'm having an extremely troublesome time attempting to outline everything. I've needed to result in utilizing a console for half of my dungeon seeker mappings for tanks. It's significantly harder for flying machine. In spite of the fact that utilizing a controller for flying machine is suicide when playing against PC players or PS4 players with a mouse and console. Ideally, Microsoft will issue full mouse and console bolster soon.

Since Apps and games are able to save files on the XBOX ONE wouldn't it be nice to have the possibility to export and import various control mappings for better convenience?

medal

• 1 month later...
Guest showboxapk

Likewise for anybody with the xbox chatpad you can tie controls to catches on that excessively like showbox for smart tv a standard console anyway just single catch capacities work afaik, I have visit, journey control up/down and insights set to catches on the chatpad, and no issues by any means.