Tasty95215

Type 74 105mm Self-Propelled Howitzer

Type 74 105mm SPH  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see the Type 74 105mm Self-Propelled Howitzer in War Thunder?

• Yes
    • No

JGSDF_Type_74_105_mm_Self-Propelled_Howi

The Type 74 105mm Self-Propelled Howitzer is, as the name suggests, an SPG carrying a 105mm howitzer. Despite being an SPG, it was designed to have some direct fire capabilities for emergencies. Specifically, it has a decent -6° gun depression, a 4x magnification gunner's sight, and the ability to fire M67 HEAT shells. Combining that with its decent mobility (similar to the Type 75 MLRS, since they share the same base chassis), fully traversable turret and 6-second reload time, the Type 74 SPH would be a fun little mid-BR vehicle for Japan.

History and Design:

The Type 74 SPH was first conceived out of a need to replace the Japanese Self Defence Force's aging M2A1 105mm howitzers, with the thought that a high-speed 105mm self-propelled howitzer would be useful in supporting the front lines. Development of such a vehicle started in 1954, leading to an experimental SPG known as the "SY". However, dissatisfaction with the SY's mobility lead to its cancellation in the late 50's. It wasn't until 1964 that development of another 105mm self-propelled howitzer started again.

type-56-sy.jpg

Target specifications for the new SPG were decided on by 1967. The two prototypes were completed in 1970, and it was accepted into service in 1975 as the Type 74 Self-Propelled Howitzer.

rWCtDFI.jpgcYPUmOX.jpg15AeDc7.jpgiTI5wKr.jpg

Some internal photos of the Type 74 SPH

The 105mm howitzer that the Type 74 used was developed by Japan Steel Works. It featured a longer barrel and had more range than the M2A1. It shares various components with the Type 73 APC, including the engine, transmission, and steering levers. While the two vehicles share the same 300 horsepower Mitsubishi engine, the greater weight of the Type 74 SPH meant that the top speed was worse than the 60 kph of the APC, down to 50 kph. The SPH was constructed out of a bulletproof aluminum alloy. They were also amphibious, capable of attaching an inflatable flotation kit and moving at 6 kph in the water.

iz1974xd8006_009.gif

Service:

The Type 74 Self-Propelled Howitzer was accepted into service in 1975 and was deployed to the JGSDF 4th Artillery Group (Mechanized) Special Battalion 117 in Hokkaido. While the group already had access to the American M52A1 105mm Self-Propelled Howitzer, which were given to the JGSDF in 1966. However, The Type 74 boasted a number of advantages over it, including a fully-traversible turret, a longer-ranged howitzer, and parts commonality with the Type 73 APC. As such, the M52A1's were retired by 1984.

However, the Type 74's own service life was relatively limited as well. By the time it went into service, there wasn't much of a need for 105mm self-propelled howitzers anymore, especially considering how the Type 75 155mm Self-Propelled Howitzer went into service soon after. As such, only 20 vehicles were built, all of which were retired by March 2000.

Night Vision:

While the Type 74 SPH did not use any night vision for its gunner, it did have night vision for the driver. The model used was the Type 74 Driver Night Vision Device, though it was possibly later upgraded to the Type 82 Driver Night Vision Device.

Type 74 Driver Night Vision:

Spoiler

img_0iz1974xj2011_007.gif

Type 82 Driver Night Vision:

Spoiler

iz1982j2013_003.gif

Specifications:

• Height: 3.21 meters (with machine gun)
    • 2.39 meters (without machine gun)
  • Length: 5.78 meters
  • Width: 2.87 meters
  • Weight: 16.3 tons
  • Crew: 4 (Commander, Gunner, Loader, Driver)
  • Engine: 4 Cylinder Mitsubishi Diesel engine with 300 horsepower at 2200 rpm
  • Speed: 50 kph (6 kph floating)
  • Armament: JSW 105mm L/30 howitzer, 43 rounds
    • M2 12.7mm machine gun, 600 rounds
  • Gun elevation:
    • 105mm: +75°, -6°
    • 12.7mm: +60°, -5°
  • Maximum inclination: 60% (can climb 31° slope)

Armament:

The Type 74 SPH uses a 105mm L/30 howitzer designed and built by Japan Steel Works. It's housed in a turret that rotates 360 degrees, and has a gun elevation of 75 degrees and a gun depression of -6 degrees. The rate of fire was 10 rounds a minute, and the vehicle carried 43 rounds. The majority of its ammunition was American, compatible with the M2A1 howitzer:

• M1 HE shell (already in War Thunder)
  • Type 74 HE shell
  • M314 illumination shell
  • M60 smoke shell
  • M84 smoke shell (already in War Thunder)
  • M67 HEAT shell (already in War Thunder)

The only indigenous Japanese shell that the Type 74 SPH used was the Type 74 HE shell. It had an explosive mass of 2.68 kilograms of TNT and was fired with a muzzle velocity of 645 m/s (as opposed to the M1 HE shell's 2.18 kilograms of explosives and a muzzle velocity of 472 m/s).

iz1974xc2536_003.gif

The M1 HE shell and Type 74 HE shell could use a number of different fuses, including the M557 point detonating fuse and the M520 mechanical time fuse. Most notably was the Type 71 Model 1 fuse, a type of CVT (proximity) fuse. The fuse was set by the J1 fuse measuring device (J1信管測合装置), which was located to the left of the barrel. Unfortunately there aren't any blueprints of this fuse left, but there are some of the related Type 71 Model 2 fuse, which was used with 5 inch guns.

Type 71 Model 2 CVT fuse blueprints:

Spoiler

iz1975c9008b_006.gifiz1975c9008b_007.gifiz1975c9008b_008.gifiz1975c9008b_009.gif

For its gun sights, it has a 4x magnification scope with a 10 degree field of view.

Spoiler

b9mZoFo.png

The Type 74 also had a M2 12.7mm machine gun. It carried 600 rounds and had a gun elevation of 60 degrees and depression of -5 degrees.

Mobility:

The Type 74 SPH should have pretty decent mobility - not great, not terrible, but adequate. It has a pretty good top speed of 50 kph and a decent power-to-weight ratio of 18.4 hp/ton. Its 300 horsepower diesel engine has 4 forward gears and 1 reverse gear. It's also capable of climbing a 31° slope. However, it does not have neutral steering.

Spoiler

ZisyIzX.gif

As mentioned earlier, it was also amphibious, being able to attach a buoyancy device and move in the water at 6 kph. While I haven't found any pictures of the Type 74 with its amphibious equipment, I did find pictures of the Type 73 APC (which the Type 74 SPH was based off of) with its equipment. It's highly likely that the Type 74 SPH used a similar, if not the same, device.

Spoiler

2017092309351123065.jpg2017092309352237202.jpg2017092309353574231.jpg2017092309353021402.jpg

Gallery:

Spoiler

74SHIKIJ.jpgkOLD45B.jpgTypxpZH.jpg

JGSDF_Type_74_105_mm_Self-Propelled_Howi

1920px-Type74SPHleft.jpg

CpA4SD8VUAADXzF.jpg:large

vexFvp4.jpgRGysw46.jpgWdyeKsg.jpgO9FbzQ9.jpgNFt8LVK.jpgDiXNMg1.jpgrdpQbjk.jpggAnmocC.jpgVjGZQ7q.jpgo4jkepw.jpgUoV444h.jpgXIj7JP8.jpg

Sources:

Edited by Tasty95215
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 13

Open for discussion. :salute:

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, *BrentD15 said:

High-tier SPG for Japan?

Yes, please!

I don't think that this will end up being that high. While the Type 74 HE shell is a bit better than the M1 HE shell, HE in general is still a bit unreliable, and the HEAT shell only has 130mm of penetration. Still, the 6 second reload should make this pretty fun around BR 3.0 or so (since that's where the M4 105 and StuH 42 are).

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Wolf_89 said:

Yes plz. But are there any more ammo type it can use? So it wont get a BR lie  3.0/4.0.

Another SPG that could be added is the Type 75 155 mm self-propelled howitzer. Type 74s bigger brother :)

Sadly, the only ammunition it used are the ones that I listed, so it will most likely have a rather lowish BR. Hooray for anachronism!

On the other hand, the Type 75 155mm has already been suggested and passed to development: 

• Upvote 2

I'd prefer the Type 75 155mm Howitzer with a derpy HE round. But this one seems ok I guess.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal

i can +1 this. with a HEAT shell that has roughly 130mm of pen, with an engine of 300hp (so about the same as the panzer 3 and panzer 4 families), but a great reload rate of 6 seconds, this is basically a better, turreted japanese counterpart to the StuH 42. it'll fit well between 4.0-4.7 BR.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

+1

This would've been better suited for Patch 1.83. Regarding how the gunner's sights are currently modeled I see more practical use with this vehicle than a pure rocket platform.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal

Here's a photo of the right side of the vehicle along with a sign with its statistics:

• Crew: 4 people
  • Height: 2.39 meters
  • Length: 5.8 meters
  • Width: 2.9 meters
  • Weight: 16.5 tons
  • Top Speed: 50 km/h
  • 105mm Howitzer
  • Maximum range: 14,500 meters
  • Rate of Fire: 10 rounds/minute
  • M2 Browning 12.7mm machine gun

I presume that the difference in height (2.39 meters vs 3.2 meters above) is due to the sign not counting the added height of the machine gun.

Also, in case anyone's worried about the Type 74 SPH being at a relatively low battle rating and fighting against WW2 tanks, Gaijin has added an even more modern vehicle at a low BR:

Screenshot (15).png

I've been told that vehicle was built around the early 1980's, yet has a Battle Rating of only 3.3. The Type 74 SPH went into service in 1975, several years before the R3 did, so the Type 74 getting a BR of around the same wouldn't be too out of place.

Edited by Tasty95215

2 hours ago, Tasty95215 said:

Here's a photo of the right side of the vehicle along with a sign with its statistics:

I presume that the difference in height (2.39 meters vs 3.2 meters above) is due to the sign not counting the added height of the machine gun.

Also, in case anyone's worried about the Type 74 SPH being at a relatively low battle rating and fighting against WW2 tanks, Gaijin has added an even more modern vehicle at a low BR:

Screenshot (15).png

I've been told that vehicle was built around the early 1980's, yet has a Battle Rating of only 3.3. The Type 74 SPH went into service in 1975, several years before the R3 did, so the Type 74 getting a BR of around the same wouldn't be too out of place.

The OTO R3 was first unveiled to the public in 1982.

Back to the topic, I have concerns that the Type 74 won't fit unless it can fire indirectly and drop shells on to of the enemy armor. Obviously theres no game mechanic like this.... Currently id hold off on it at the time being.

14 minutes ago, Miki_Hoshii said:

Back to the topic, I have concerns that the Type 74 won't fit unless it can fire indirectly and drop shells on to of the enemy armor. Obviously theres no game mechanic like this.... Currently id hold off on it at the time being.

Actually, the Type 74 should be fine with direct fire. It has a full-traversable turret as well as -5 degrees of gun depression - not great by any standards, but still workable. Not to mention it has HEAT shells in addition to HE.

If this one is accepted, that means all artillery vehicles can be added as long as they allow direct fire.

I said no until the game doesn't have an artillery mechanic. This is too early.

• Confused 1
medal medal medal medal

On 19/12/2018 at 05:31, KontaKT said:

If this one is accepted, that means all artillery vehicles can be added as long as they allow direct fire.

I said no until the game doesn't have an artillery mechanic. This is too early.

This is howitzer, but it have direct sight, so it can add in game as French "Lorraine 155 Mle.50" self-propelled howitzer.

sight specification

• magnification: x4
  • FoV: 10°
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, aizenns said:

This is howitzer, but it have direct sight, so it can add in game as French "Lorraine 155 Mle.50" self-propelled howitzer.

sight specification

• magnification: x4
  • FoV: 10°

That's not the point. The Lorraine 155 being in the game doesn't make me support the introduction of artillery vehicles without proper mechanics.

As you may now, artillery systems in the game are not useful, they are only troll tanks.

• Confused 4
medal medal medal medal

I'm adding the following information to the OP:

• Specification for the gun sights (thanks @aizenns):
    • 4x magnification
    • 10 degree field of view
Spoiler

b9mZoFo.png

I'm not entirely sure how good the gun sights are compared to other tanks, but it's good to know regardless.

• Gear ratios
Spoiler

ZisyIzX.gif

The Type 74 SPH will have 4 forward gears and 1 reverse gear.

• Like 2

Added a couple sentences to the first part of the OP, talking about the positives of the vehicle as some more history stuff.

The Type 74 105mm Self-Propelled Howitzer is, as the name suggests, an SPG carrying a 105mm howitzer. Despite being an SPG, it was designed to have some direct fire capabilities for emergencies. Specifically, it has a decent -6 degrees gun depression, a 4x magnification gunner's sight, and the ability to fire M67 HEAT shells. Combining that with its decent mobility (similar to the Type 75 MLRS, since they share the same turret), fully traversable turret and 6-second reload time, the Type 74 SPH would be a fun little mid-BR vehicle for Japan.

The Type 74 SPH was first conceived out of a need to replace the Japanese Self Defence Force's aging M2A1 105mm howitzers, with the thought that a high-speed 105mm self-propelled howitzer would be useful in supporting the front lines. Development started in 1964, with the target specifications decided by 1967. The two prototypes were completed in 1970, and it was accepted into service in 1975. However, at the time it went into service, the Japanese army had already started producing the Type 75 155mm howitzer, which had much more range and firepower while only being slightly slower. As such, production of the Type 74 stopped with only 20 vehicles entering service. These were deployed to the JGSDF 4th Artillery Group (Mechanized) Special Battalion 117, where they remained before being retired around the year 2000.

• Like 1

On 20/12/2018 at 19:37, KontaKT said:

That's not the point. The Lorraine 155 being in the game doesn't make me support the introduction of artillery vehicles without proper mechanics.

As you may now, artillery systems in the game are not useful, they are only troll tanks.

Yeah because rocket artillery vehicles in War Thunder do have a ''proper mechanic'' or what ?

Those vehicles were NEVER meant to be used for killing tank or direct firing a target at 50 meter  in general and yet they do still have a place in the game ?

In war thunder it will be labeled as a TD but this thing would be seen as a light tank with big gun. It has the ability to do what a proper tank does! A gun that can depress, direct firing capability, fully rotatable turret, It has  the speed to and ability of repeatedly changing position.

Type 74 SPG is no more than a assault gun type like M4 105, Brummbär, KV-2 and/ or even the Stug III.

Not to mention just awhile ago in the Q&A the Devs already made a statement that they do see the potential of High-ballistic howitzers on a fully rotating turret so there you go.

• Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal

I'm a little tepid about a 70s-era vehicle hanging around with WWII companions.  

(Tiering the OTO R3 as low as it is was a mistake in my book).

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

11 hours ago, I_NAMELESS_I said:

Yeah because rocket artillery vehicles in War Thunder do have a ''proper mechanic'' or what ?

Those vehicles were NEVER meant to be used for killing tank or direct firing a target at 50 meter  in general and yet they do still have a place in the game ?

In war thunder it will be labeled as a TD but this thing would be seen as a light tank with big gun. It has the ability to do what a proper tank does! A gun that can depress, direct firing capability, fully rotatable turret, It has  the speed to and ability of repeatedly changing position.

Type 74 SPG is no more than a assault gun type like M4 105, Brummbär, KV-2 and/ or even the Stug III.

Not to mention just awhile ago in the Q&A the Devs already made a statement that they do see the potential of High-ballistic howitzers on a fully rotating turret so there you go.

So what ?

Why would I support artillery vehicles if Gaijin doesn't mind adding them ? I'm not approving all their choices.

Did you even read the message you are quoting ?

On 20/12/2018 at 19:37, KontaKT said:

As you may know, artillery systems in the game are not useful, they are only troll tanks.

In case that was not enough clear, I'll support artillery vehicles when they become useful as part of a team, and the fact that (useless) artillery vehicles already exist in the game will not make me support them.

medal medal medal medal

23 hours ago, KontaKT said:

So what ?

Why would I support artillery vehicles if Gaijin doesn't mind adding them ? I'm not approving all their choices.

I couldn't careless about you don't support this suggestion. I replied to you because i do not agree with the statement of '' artillery vehicle are useless''. I want to know what you meant in detail. What artilleries in the game are useless and in what way are they useless ??? Everything in the game has the ability of killing other vehicle even the ones with howitzer gun or rockets but the way of using them may differ to a proper tank!

An useless vehicle to my knowledge is maybe a truck without  any gun, can not scout, call artillery, repair friendly vehicles or does anything that help the team win in general, now that is one useless vehicle, Please remind me again which vehicles in the game  do exactly that ?

Edited by I_NAMELESS_I
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, I_NAMELESS_I said:

I couldn't careless about you don't support this suggestion. I replied to you because i do not agree with the statement of '' artillery vehicle are useless''. I want to know what you meant in detail. What artilleries in the game are useless and in what way are they useless ???

Why do I have to explain that...

Just like in reality, tanks that are not meant to kill other tank are not efficient at killing tanks in the game. In the same way, a sniping SPArtillery won't be as efficient as a TD, and a SPA fighting at the front won't be as efficient as a heavy tank. Not to mention that such tanks are often turretless wich makes them impractical to use in close combat. There is nothing that SPAs do well, and thus, such tanks are useless (except the Brümmbar wich can take some hits).

I'm not saying they should be removed. I use them when I feel trolly, or to have fun. However, many other vehicles that are definitely needed should be introduced first and as soon as possible.

medal medal medal medal

2 hours ago, KontaKT said:

It's alright....

Edited by I_NAMELESS_I

2 hours ago, KontaKT said:

Just like in reality, tanks that are not meant to kill other tank are not efficient at killing tanks in the game.

Laughs in Ho-Ro and Sturmpanzer 3, oh well...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1