Xbox One Controller schemes

I feel like the controls for war thunder on Xbox one are really lacking. I was extremely excited for the Xbox one release as the last good flight game I played was  Wings of Prey on the 360. However nothing even remotely resembles the controls for that. Mouse aim is jerky and takes a small eternity to line up, all to easy to loose the reticle in the corners of the screen, and realistic or full-real simply turns my Hurricane into a wobbling, boat-like pig with no chance of even getting close to the target, let alone hitting it. I feel there should be a control scheme that locks the reticle to the centre of the screen, rather than letting it fly all over the place in front of me. I assume the PS4 DualShock guys and girls are in a similar predicament, so how they overcome this I have no idea. Any help of suggestions would be much appreciated 

28 minutes ago, TheRacerX97 said:

I assume the PS4 DualShock guys and girls are in a similar predicament, so how they overcome this I have no idea. Any help of suggestions would be much appreciated 

Remember we've already had years of experience setting ours up and tweaking them. Some still use them, some use mouse and keyboard ( which you guys can't ) Either way I'm sure our controls translate over so try checking out this vid. It may be of some help to you. Maybe not in all areas but a few at least might be used.

Thank @*drkdeath5000

He did all the hard work.

Cheers buddy, and good luck :salute:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
medal medal

Yeah, the controls are pretty bad. I don't even bother playing planes because I don't feel like getting constantly duked on by pc players using keyboards.

The ground vehicle controls are workable, but they'd certainly be a lot better if the game didn't forget that I remapped my controls at the beginning of each match.

• Upvote 2

Is any chance to set up different aim sensitivity in zoom mode for Ground and Air?

I changed to aim very slowly for tanks in zoomed view so i can precisly aim for parts on tank, works very good.

But since than I cannot play Air forces due to this. When I try aim with zoom I literaly cannot change direction.

12 hours ago, Beef_McLargeBig said:

Yeah, the controls are pretty bad. I don't even bother playing planes because I don't feel like getting constantly duked on by pc players using keyboards.

The ground vehicle controls are workable, but they'd certainly be a lot better if the game didn't forget that I remapped my controls at the beginning of each match.

This is driving me crazy. I have to access the controls menu then back out at the start of every single match regardless of the game mode just to get my customized control configuration to kick in. Gaijin needs to fix this problem ASAP.

Edited by BTL_Ace
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

35 minutes ago, BTL_Ace said:

This is driving me crazy. I have to access the controls menu then back out at the start of every single match regardless of the game mode just to get my customized control configuration to kick in. Gaijin needs to fix this problem ASAP.

The fix is in testing, keep patience please. ETA is early next week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, gromvoiny said:

That's fantastic news! Thanks for the info. :salute:

Do you know if the issue with not being able to map aircraft gunner Y & X-axis aiming to the right control stick is also being corrected?

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

7 hours ago, gromvoiny said:

Flight controls really need a fix but more than that the aircraft controls absolutely need Thrustmaster T-Flight One HOTAS compatibility support, ...and soon.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 22/06/2018 at 01:44, *ko102crew said:

Remember we've already had years of experience setting ours up and tweaking them. Some still use them, some use mouse and keyboard ( which you guys can't ) Either way I'm sure our controls translate over so try checking out this vid. It may be of some help to you. Maybe not in all areas but a few at least might be used.

Thank @*drkdeath5000

He did all the hard work.

Cheers buddy, and good luck :salute:

@*ko102crew Thanks for the mention i wondered why all these xbox players are messaging me now i know :D.

Its all good though and for what its worth for the xbox guys guys i can confirm these controls work just fine on xbox, confirmed by several xbox players now and they are having a much better playing experience as a result.

Good luck guys hopefully with these you can turn a few battles in your favour and show those PC players your not so easy to be messed with.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal

On 22/06/2018 at 07:46, QuidoFrontiere said:

Is any chance to set up different aim sensitivity in zoom mode for Ground and Air?

I changed to aim very slowly for tanks in zoomed view so i can precisly aim for parts on tank, works very good.

But since than I cannot play Air forces due to this. When I try aim with zoom I literaly cannot change direction.

Do you guy's have the ability to save your controls as a pre set, until recently i had to change mine manually every time i changed from one to the other but now i have a different setup for both and just load it up. 

If you aren't able to do that yet hopefully they will add it soon because it makes things a whole lot easier.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

did a video of my setup for you all, to be honest those of us who use a controller on ps4 all have different setups so it's worth your while trying different ones until you find one that suits you.

I have my plane cannons and chat on a keyboard so that won't work for you but you can put chat on what you want, the cannon setting just allows you to fire mg with a half press of the trigger and everything with a full press so if it works the same on Xbox you can just use a combination to get around it or leave everything on the trigger and not bother with it.

Hope it helps you guy's out, plane controls are difficult to get right with a controller but you can definitely be competitive with one, i have also included my tank controls if anyone needs it but tanks are pretty easy to do your own with.:salute:

• Like 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 22/06/2018 at 08:46, QuidoFrontiere said:

What are wrote before was not so correct. I found that my problem in Air battles is Gamepad aim sensitivity in Control settings.

For normal view i need set to about 30%. But then in zoom mode it is too slow. In zoom mode I need it to set about 50-70%. But if I change it, i fly like crazy then.

Please separate this settings for normal view and zoomed view (in mouseaim air battle).

Controls for  ground vehicles are ok for me.

Edited by Guest

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

thank you for your post , new on xbox. 

any tips on using the,pitch,yaw, and flaps when and how situations

because the default instructer auto does it, the game doesnt tell how to use manual controls

just that hints that everyone else will be using them.

Feel the same way. Was so excited for war thunder to hit console. But the moment I tried to do the flight tutorial I feel as if I was playing with my controller upside down, with the highest sensitivity possible. and no matter what I do, I can't get this fixed. I have tried remapping everything but it only seems to make more problems for me. What we really need is for you guys over at Gaijin to add support for the Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas One Joystick to the console game so we can actually go through and map for it, not just for flight but also for tanks and when it drops publicly, ships as well. Heck, I'd even go as far as to say, that a tutorial that walks you through mapping everything would be a good idea. I for one don't like how in the test mode that I can't change settings. Making it so to test and change my controls requires me to go back and forth from hanger to test mode is really irritating.

Edited by neonking

Are there any plans to support the Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas One Joystick? Legit would like to be using that over the current controls. Of course if I'm being flat honest about it, I think just about anything would be better than what we currently have going on console.

5 hours ago, ElctroCobrie said:

Are there any plans to support the Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas One Joystick? Legit would like to be using that over the current controls. Of course if I'm being flat honest about it, I think just about anything would be better than what we currently have going on console.

It’s in development. 

I have been loving the game since early access is out, I mainly play tanks and only RB. 

I absolutely love everything about the game, but there is one feature that makes it almost unplayable for me...: 

I use the auto-drive feature all the time..But every time I turn in my tank, it stops driving. 

The current options/scheme do not allow to remap this in any way. 

It makes sense on a keyboard to have the current scheme, but it is an absolute nightmare on a controller.. (when turning you always push the stick a little forward, but this stops the tank! ) 

Is there any way that this can be adapted?... it seems a small detail, but it completely ruins the game for me. ... I've been caught with my pants down quite a few times! o_o

If Gajin is open to suggestions, could you please consider changing it so the tank does NOT stop when pushing the stick forward?.. please?.. please?... 

1 hour ago, Rastatherambo said:

It makes sense on a keyboard to have the current scheme, but it is an absolute nightmare on a controller.. (when turning you always push the stick a little forward, but this stops the tank! ) 

Don't despair. If you use your left stick to steer left/right there is a chance of pushing it a little up or down while doing so, interfering with the up/down for driving forward/backwards.

As the throttle is not analog (it is a simple switch between no or full throttle) there is no objection in setting the deadzone for the throttle at its max of 0.5.

Btw, due to the way this game is programmed with the only method of using track break steering, it might be wise to add a second  option at your left stick. 

What I did on PS4 is not only setting the left/right steering on my left joystick, but I added the track breaks on that joystick as well, so when I'm driving and steer left, the tank slowly veers left, but when I push the O button on my joypad and steer left, the left track break locks and I turn sharp left.

And I hardly ever use my left stick for throttling, I mostly use the cruise control. O + joypad up for upshifting and O + joypad down for downshifting. Moving left stick up or down returns immediately control back to your stick.

Give it a try...

medal medal medal

Thanks for the advice! I am definitely going to try this! 

I have tried your advice, and it makes a difference, thanks! . (It is still a little annoying in city maps though, would be better if the tank does not stop on forward push on LS)

I have however been playing with the aircraft controls (realist mode), and noticed I cannot set the yaw controls on my LB to go left, or RB to go right. I think it would make a lot of sense if this was possible. 

I have reset my bombs and rockets to LT + A or LT+B, to free up the bumpers if pressed on their own. If I can set the Yaw controls to either left or right using the bumpers, I think the plane would be very controllable. 

I am more than willing to post a pic of my controls later, but I would like to tweak some more first. 

Edited by Guest
spelling

5 hours ago, Rastatherambo said:

I have tried your advice, and it makes a difference, thanks! . (It is still a little annoying in city maps though, would be better if the tank does not stop on forward push on LS)

I have however been playing with the aircraft controls (realist mode), and noticed I cannot set the yaw controls on my LB to go left, or RB to go right. I think it would make a lot of sense if this was possible. 

I have reset my bombs and rockets to LT + A or LT+B, to free up the bumpers if pressed on their own. If I can set the Yaw controls to either left or right using the bumpers, I think the plane would be very controllable. 

I am more than willing to post a pic of my controls later, but I would like to tweak some more first. 

Change our LB button in tanks and ships too... After this, your LB is free to go to left in planes.

Edited by JamP

On 05/08/2018 at 09:15, gromvoiny said:

It’s in development. 

OMG, I read the forum 2/3 daily, waiting the update and conect me Joy , how many days , weeks, need we wait? 

5 hours ago, MANDRA111 said:

OMG, I read the forum 2/3 daily, waiting the update and conect me Joy , how many days , weeks, need we wait? 

Maybe... 2019...is gaijyear