HD_Wurst

IS-6 sucks at it's BR of 7.3...

With the turret fix its def a 7.0. If I had bought this full price for a BR 7.0 tank and then was forced a few months later to play it at 7.3 I would honestly want my money back. Since that isn't (yet) possible, it would just turn me off of spending money at all. Thus I don't buy tanks that are more than 15$ to avoid developing resentment towards my purchases.

• Haha 3
medal medal medal medal

On 16/06/2018 at 22:00, HD_Wurst said:

Maus

funny you brought that up, the is-6 can no longer penetrate the turret cheeks on the maus after gaijin buffed the armour on the maus.

They changed the armour from cast to rolled

rounds that you can find on a 5.7?

To be fair, is-2 has the strongest APHE in its br aproximity.

the mantlet either penetrates or turns out as a trapshot

Biggest weakness of the is-6 is the humungous trapshot that people hit even when they don't intend to.

which is BS!

After a shell have ricochet from the mantlet it will not have enough energy or structural integrity to be able to punch through 100mm armour.

And the pic shows the Leopard I can pen the front at maximum range with a lot of angle.

Leopard can lol pen every tank it faces even in full upter so its not wierd. it has the strongest heat-fs round in its br except for the obj120.

in my opinion no 7.7 tank should have 400mm pen heat-fs, 360 is more than enough for 7.7.

obj120 should be at 8.0 but without hullbreak and leopard, m103, m48XXX and so on should have 360mm pen heat-fs, still enough for a lol pen for any tank, but not so much pen that they litterally can throw their own brain out the window and still penetrate any tank they aim for.

just lower the cost of the heat-fs and lower the penetration, up the post pen damage to more irl accurate damage and limit how many heat-fs rounds a tank can carry.

there you go.

And its just that the is-6 does not fit enywhere else, some people say.

well if we look at the japanese and american trees we can see many many tanks around 6.7-7.7 that have heat-fs that will penetrate you at any range at almost any angle.

If it weren't for the french and germans that lack such rounds, the is-6 would be at 6.7-7.0.

So can you see?, there are a shitton of tanks that can screw your day over big time, but at the same time, theres a shitton of tanks can can't real with you at the same BR.

So do like i do, don't think your is-6 like a heavy tank, just don't, think of it like a medium, i mean.... it has the mobility of one at least. and the gun as slow as it is, is devestating towards a successful penetration

Edited by Turra
  • Haha 1
medal

On 28/07/2018 at 00:52, Max__Damage said:

I dont know about is6 but is3 should come back to 7.0. In comparison to the is6 it really shows how bad it is.

Is 3 is trash tier. It has worse hull armor. Actually vulnerable to 84mm apds. Bad turret traverse speed. And an extremely bad mobility. Is 6 is merely what 7.3 is supposed to look like.

The is-3 is trash yeah, and it has more weakspots that you can rely on than people want to confess.

Its reload is the worst part of it... oh god...that reload. by the time you have reloaded every other tank you can face have reloaded aimed and shot.

and if a loader dies, hahahaha just J-out man, youre practically a moving bunker now.

And i don't know about the ground pressure and ground effect from the tracks on the is-3 but i have a hard time to belive it had such a horrible hull traverse.

medal

On 07/07/2018 at 20:13, inset_judgement said:

Honestly, someone is going to sue Gaijin one of these days for changing BRs after the purchase, regardless of their explanation its extremely questionable to sell a product and then change it on the consumer.

Lol so true, imagen buying a phone for several k$ then getting it altered.... Wait.... Iphone did it right!? 

medal

23 hours ago, Turra said:

Leopard can lol pen every tank it faces even in full upter so its not wierd. it has the strongest heat-fs round in its br except for the obj120.

in my opinion no 7.7 tank should have 400mm pen heat-fs, 360 is more than enough for 7.7.

obj120 should be at 8.0 but without hullbreak and leopard, m103, m48XXX and so on should have 360mm pen heat-fs, still enough for a lol pen for any tank, but not so much pen that they litterally can throw their own brain out the window and still penetrate any tank they aim for.

Penetrating does not mean necessarily killing enemy. You will find that soon when you reach the point in other countries trees where you start slinging HEATFS yourself. I always used to think that every country is better than Germany until I start to play them as well. There is always greener grass on the other side of the fence... ;)  I am doing rather fine in IS-6 and I bought it after it was put to 7,3 AND fixed. Armor is something nobody should count on (with exception of KVs :) ), so if you are being hit, you have made a mistake, armor MIGHT help you to survive that mistake, but not with a certainty.

• Confused 1
medal medal medal

I played the IS-6 back when it was a 6.7 USSR heavy with the broken turret front. It wasn't fun gameplay, the tank was so foolproof that you could just drive it at the enemy, intentionally take shots at mid range while you waited for that longish reload to pick them off. It was boring. I've also played it now when it's 7.3 tank and I don't think it has lost much of it's value, since now it's not just a game breaker, it's a tank with pros and cons.

How I use it these days? I don't play it. I didn't play it much even back when it was 6.7 compared to the amount I played my T29, which I enjoy(ed) much more. But if I take my IS-6 for a spin these days, I would use it more like a flanking heavy-medium rather than the old way of just taking all the shots and rolling over the enemy. I still don't think I lost much for buying the IS-6, back then I wanted to try it and found it boring. If you wanted to get that op tank experience, I am sorry for you. 

I hope you find a way to play the IS-6 that grants you a lot rp and is also fun. I don't like it but I hope you do :).

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal

On 30/11/2018 at 17:02, thedoom7734 said:

I played the IS-6 back when it was a 6.7 USSR heavy with the broken turret front. It wasn't fun gameplay, the tank was so foolproof that you could just drive it at the enemy, intentionally take shots at mid range while you waited for that longish reload to pick them off. It was boring. I've also played it now when it's 7.3 tank and I don't think it has lost much of it's value, since now it's not just a game breaker, it's a tank with pros and cons.

Agreed. Just picked up the 6, with the sale. Having a lot of fun with it. Just have to be careful. I like to flank, cover zones, come up on the enemy where they would not expect me. This tank is perfect for that. Has good speed for a heavy, so it can get you to a spot pretty quick. Nice reverse speed. The gun works great a range. I’ve already had plenty of snip kills. 

How I use it these days? I don't play it. I didn't play it much even back when it was 6.7 compared to the amount I played my T29, which I enjoy(ed) much more. But if I take my IS-6 for a spin these days, I would use it more like a flanking heavy-medium rather than the old way of just taking all the shots and rolling over the enemy. I still don't think I lost much for buying the IS-6, back then I wanted to try it and found it boring. If you wanted to get that op tank experience, I am sorry for you. 

Play it like this and you will dominate. Don’t race for cap points, cover them. 

(T-29 is a great tank as well)

I hope you find a way to play the IS-6 that grants you a lot rp and is also fun. I don't like it but I hope you do :).

Play it like @thedoom7734 says and you will enjoy it. I have so far, even though it has not been that many matches. Up tiers, you have to be careful with the fin stabilized ammo, and rockets. Then there will be those games where it’s an all out brawl. The 6 can still handle them very well. 

Good example was a game I had last night. Sinai map with a single cap. It got down to just me and a T-95 on opposite sides of the cap. Neither team owned the cap. The enemy still had most of their team. The two of us were pounding the enemy. I’m taking hits from the ground as well as the air. Can’t remember how many times I was able to repair. Half my crew gone. Still moving, still taking guys out. I finally did a suicide rush as the 95 was getting pounded for the final time. So the 6 can still dish it out. Just have to be a little more careful about how you do it. 

medal

On 30/11/2018 at 18:52, LahvanCz said:

Penetrating does not mean necessarily killing enemy. You will find that soon when you reach the point in other countries trees where you start slinging HEATFS yourself. I always used to think that every country is better than Germany until I start to play them as well. There is always greener grass on the other side of the fence... ;)  I am doing rather fine in IS-6 and I bought it after it was put to 7,3 AND fixed. Armor is something nobody should count on (with exception of KVs :) ), so if you are being hit, you have made a mistake, armor MIGHT help you to survive that mistake, but not with a certainty.

I have alot of other tanks in other techtrees, some use HEAT, some use heat-fs, some use solid AP.

French, early german tanks, brittish tanks. I know what you mean, its not all about the penetration all of the time, nbut what would you choose?

1: Be able to pen every tank you face with decent post pen damage without having to aim for weakspots at all.

A successful penetration will 100% of the time damage something, and against soviet cramped tanks will mostly take out the tanks combat ability or outright ohk it.

Against more spaced tanks you most aim more carefully.

This is the life of a leopard 1 tank for example, the sole thing this tank have to think about is, is there anything that the heat-fs shell can hit on the way?

2: Have a shell that you reguarly most take armour value into account, estimate chanses of successful penetration, will the penetration happen just barely and do very little to no damage? or will it be a penetration with a marginal and damage the tank?

Will you hit that weakspot 1km away or will you don't the shot into a plate that bounces or absorbs it?

Having to take extra time to estimate, roughly calculate your chanses before taking the shot.

This is the life of a brittish tanker, achilles came to mind.

2.1: Have a shell with very poor penetration values, many times just barely enough to have a successful penetration, but at least a successful penetration will result in devastating damage.

Will you hit that weakspot 1km away or will you don't the shot into a plate that bounces or absorbs it?

Will you miss your shot at that long range because of the bad shell velocity? will my oponent hit me while i'm reloading or calculating the distance?

Having to take extra time to estimate and roughly calculate your chanses before taking the shot.

This is the life of a soviet tanker, is-6 came to mind when i wrote this.

As how i would choose, i would choose heat in higher tiers and aphe in lower.

lower tiers have less armour so aphe can penetrate more reliably so you don't have to think too much about "will it penetrate"

and lower tiers have smaller maps so the low velocity will not be a problem.

Higher tiers have many huge maps and higer tiers have some really thick and heavily armoured tanks around, at ythe same time higher tiers have more tanks with thin armour that can be hullborken by heat much easier than aphe.

Tanks with aphe generally have bad mobility and tanks with heat-fs generally are fast ligh or medium tanks that fits the meta in higher tiered games, speed, reloadtime and penetration.

And armour is what you most rely on in some tanks, some tanks are built around the fact of the armour value, for example, what do you do in a t95? a maus?

or a is-4m? or a churchill? or a jumbo?

These tanks are not fast, have subpar(example: jumbo, churchill) to mediocre guns(Example: maus, is-4m) with mediocre reloadtime(Ex: Jumbo, churchill) to very long reloadtime(Is-4m, maus).

Heavy tanks during ww2 and the time just after were built to withstand the enemy guns and being a frontline brawler against what the enemy would throw at them.

Medium tanks were linebreakers with better mobility and frontal armour just enough to take a hit from a secoundary at gun that the enemy would have (like a panzerschreck), faster reload and guns with as high or jhigher penetration values than the heavy tanks.

These medium tanks have the mobility to hide and move around the battlefield like the heavytanks can not. They don't rely on armour because they eather don't have any or have the mobility to use terrain instead as "armour".

Saying that you should not rely on armour to a heavy tank driver is like saying to a sniper to not rely on the scope, its a key point to what it is and how its used.

Edited by Turra
medal

I have grinded out whole German tree, US up to the Abrams and USSR up to T-64B. Yes, HEAT can penetrate in a lot of cases, but you have to hit vitals to really destroy the enemy and sometimes I have seent HEATFS bounce on Objects 120, BMPs and Objects 906. 

Heavy tanks were built for engagements on long ranges that we possible in Russia, where vast plains are located, which is why heavily armored German tanks equipped with powerful guns and excellent optics were so dangerous adversaries. Russians built their heavy tanks as breeching tanks to counter Germans.

On the western front, it was usually not possible to engage on long distances due to limited visibility, so flanking was more easy and heavy armor was negated to an extent, which is similar to what we have in game now. 

As German, I usually try to flank and snipe (even more so with Leos), as Russian/US I try to flank and close in from hopefully unexpected angle and slaughter them.

I try to play in a way to NOT rely on my armor as it gives your enemy chance. Map design and objectives force players to come and duke it out in CQB, where Russian tanks have generally an advantage.

medal medal medal