BoNiu

testing Vulkan,(17/06/2019 ¡El cliente vulkan a veces funciona!, vulkan client sometimes works!)

Since disaster 1.77 official client till today gaijin's project (no more linu)X, I had being testing vulkan. First time I saw colour glitches and some graphical issues, now not glitches but here is my doubt:

How can I know if I am actually using the vulkan?

I mean after add the file with some text and modified the 2 entries at config.blk as I had read here:

The launcher check files and download vulkan files but, If i read the config.blk the client has change the vulkan entries for the default "auto" option.

So I am not sure If I am using the opengl or the vulkan version in game.

Edited by BoNiu
update
medal medal

start game in windowed mode and see window title ( window name have vulkan or opengl). launcher always change the vulkan entries for the default "auto" option. For vulkun test you need change config and start game without launcher

Edited by dicson75

Ok dicson75, thanks.

To avoid launcher use I launched from terminal at WarThunder/linux64/aces

I did it, my problem is that once i got the vulkan windowed If I click to capture mouse and start the screen turns  black, then If I change to another window, terminal/nvidia xsetting or whatever game is still working, So I managed to make some warthinder perfomace tests, and bot shows HUGE improve in FPS medium and minimum.

So tomorrow I will try again on a different monitor.

Any idea how to avoid the black screen while getting the focus on game window?

Edited by croquetor
medal medal

@apemax

Is there any way to contact linux devs or vulkan client devs to send info about how the client performs?

I mean it look promising specially to linux players that suffer the native client since 1.77 version.

Of course having a 2 direction communication with some info about where are the vulkan progress now would be great too.

medal medal

afaik Vulkan has not been officially released on WT yet so i guess there aren't any 'official' informations yet (still worth asking though ^^) but

there have been some players testing the Vulkan render (on game version 1.77 at least). you might find some interesting information in this

thread - https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/402831-v177-and-20fps-and-black-blotches-on-ground/&do=findComment&comment=7625766

also most likely there is a (good) reason for Vulkan not having been released as an official render on WT yet so i guess we should expect

it not working 'as good as it should' (or could)... just my 2 cents though and i absolutely agree on the 'communication' part ^^

medal medal medal

3 hours ago, croquetor said:

relliK must be a really good reason because check fps differences

quite impressive result you got there oO looks like we might get coming closer to the release of Vulkan ^^

last time i checked on Vulkan i came across a thread on reddit where Anton Yudintsev (CEO of Gaijin) was stating that their

major problem with Vulkan was the precompiled shaders (as far as i remember)... maybe you are one of the lucky guys with

a videocard / gpu that on which the shaders are working just fine or they have made some major improvments on the render

over all  ?!

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal

I have tested it on high settings, I see artefacts in menu and in-game. FPS counter shows considerably higher FPS (high 40's to 80FPS) than what I get with OpenGL (20's to 30-ish FPS). I also notice often stuttering and mouse stuttering as well (both in menu and in-game).

System: Host: funtoo Kernel: 4.15.17-1 x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: i3 4.14.1
Distro: Funtoo Linux - baselayout

CPU:  Quad core Intel Core i5-4460 (-MCP-) speed/max: 3265/3400 MHz

RAM: 8GB @1600MHz

Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470]

Display Server: X.Org 1.19.3 driver: amdgpu Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz

OpenGL: renderer: AMD Radeon RX 470 Graphics (AMD POLARIS10 / DRM 3.23.0 / 4.15.17-1, LLVM 5.0.1) version: 4.5 Mesa 17.2.8

wt-vulkan01.png

wt-vulkan02.png

Yeah, no joy in windowed mode or fullscreen I get a full black monitor not just the window, whenever the game window has focus. Oddly in windowed mode, I can alt-tab and it renders the screen and game window as long as it doesn't have focus. So I looked around and disabled vsync and for the hell of it got rid of the Nvidia screen taring workaround then rebooted and gave it a shot yet still get the black screen.

I'm have a NVIDIA GTX 1080 Driver version 396.24.
Confirmed Vulkan is working with vkmark.

BTW I run Arch...

-`                 
                  .o+`                 red@meleager
                 `ooo/                 OS: Arch Linux
                `+oooo:                Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.16.13-2-ARCH
               `+oooooo:               Uptime: 48m
               -+oooooo+:              Packages: 2215
             `/:-:++oooo+:             Shell: fish 2.7.1
            `/++++/+++++++:            Resolution: 3440x1440
           `/++++++++++++++:           DE: MATE 1.20.0
          `/+++ooooooooooooo/`         WM: Metacity (Marco)
         ./ooosssso++osssssso+`        GTK Theme: 'Adapta-Nokto-Eta' [GTK2/3]
        .oossssso-````/ossssss+`       Icon Theme: Adwaita
       -osssssso.      :ssssssso.      Font: Sans 10
      :osssssss/        osssso+++.     CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K @ 12x 3.7GHz [48.0°C]
     /ossssssss/        +ssssooo/-     GPU: GeForce GTX 1080
   `/ossssso+/:-        -:/+osssso+-   RAM: 5027MiB / 64324MiB
  `+sso+:-`                 `.-/+oso:
 `++:.                           `-/+/
 .`                                 `/

medal medal

Yeah OneDeltaTenTang

I also did the in-game performance test jumping with Alt TAB, alternating with another window till I achieve click the mouse pointer. I also tried some vehicle test(tanks and planes) and with Alt TAB was capable of moove shoot etc while on that annoying black screen, but I didn't saw any glitch, or provoked any broken game and send inform...  That's why I want to try vulkan on real game battles. If we could get rid of the black screen we could provide much more feedback to linux and vulkan developers.

@apemax Could you communicate with them and tell this?:good:

medal medal

Oh yes, compared with my test results from 4 weeks ago, it is sooooo much faster.

There are some little visual glitches left, but nothing serious.

(latest mesa/radv 18.2.0-devel on R9 380X)    :good:

Edited by amsel41
medal

mesa 18.1.2 on a RX480 and slackware64 -current with kernel 4.17.1

Also black screen when the game have focus, if it loses focus to another app, everything works fine. Quality looks good, performance is 40%  higher

I tried to workaround the focus problem, tried several windows manager, focus follow mouse, click to focus, full screen, windows, but failed all the attempts... i could not find any workaround for this problem...

maybe related with the X or glibc version ... anyway it looks something that is not easy to workaround and we may need a code fix... lets see if gaijin can fix this in a minor update or if we will have to wait several months for a new major update

Finally for those trying, you can change the config.blk and then chmod a-w config.blk ... this way you can use the launcher or steam client and it will not be able to reset the config

medal medal

Hello everyone,

I just want to say, You need to remember that the Vulkan renderer is very much still a work in progress and is not recommended for daily use nor supported officially yet as it hasn't been officially announced or released to the public.

@croquetor,

I will ask about this, But no promises. ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

thanks @apemax !

yes, we know that this is still a hidden developer feature, it is just that the black screen is right now a blocker for more tests, and everyone would love to test this! :D

But of course, we will wait for it

Edited by higuita7
fix reference
medal medal

Ok guys regarding the bug reports regarding Vulkan, I asked and as you know Vulkan is still very much in development so at the moment we are not at the bug reporting point yet. So you'll just have to have a bit of patience on the bug reporting front. :salute:

@apemax

Please make them aware that aside for horrible glitches and artefacts, vulkan is giving us (GNU+Linux users) double the framerate in most cases. This is something that they really need to address, because War Thunder performance on GNU+Linux is utter CRAP as of now. Especially for people that use AMD GPU's and amdgpu/mesa/free drivers. Give us normal performance damn it! Give us vulkan! We've been waiting for too long. This pathetic attempt at GNU+Linux support is just that - PATHETIC.

• Like 1

On 22/06/2018 at 12:01, Crunchbang said:

Especially for people that use AMD GPU's and amdgpu/mesa/free drivers. Give us normal performance damn it! Give us vulkan! We've been waiting for too long. This pathetic attempt at GNU+Linux support is just that - PATHETIC. 

You are in no position to demand anything here or call their support pathetic tbh, because you chose to use worst hardware out there in terms of drivers and developers support. If you ever read Antons posts on reddit then you know why performance on AMD is bad.

And next time before you throw allcaps "pathetic" on someones development efforts, think if any other company out there will spend any resources at all (business wise those are wasted resources, taking into account linux playerbase\market share) for such support.

Edited by Sarmatiko
  • Haha 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

By the way, anyone tried launching client with  -forcestart -driver:vulkan parameters? In theory it should overwrite config key for "driver" so you could run launcher normally for updates, and then launch aces with vulkan.

Edited by Sarmatiko

I want to update everyone about this,

Just now I finished testing vulkan again from linux.

Good news first:

There is no more black screen when focus on game!

Some glitches at hangar tracks and cal.50 external tank textures.

So I played some battles , tanks only, at simulator.

Playing at ULQ I got more than 200 fps, instead of the 45/55 I have with the opengl version   : )

There is no need to test it in window mode, I played in fullscreen.

So I improved the graphics to high, then the tearing was way too much, so I deactivated the right part options at graphics and also antialiasing off.

It is playable now, the fps are great in compare with opengl, but still have to try how to improve the high tearing.

@apemax Not sure if the black screen fixing is related with your devs consult. Even they don't want to open a regular channel where we can help the vulkan client implementation, from here is nice to see how becomes more playable. (As the opengl one seems forgotten)...

:good:

Edited by croquetor
medal medal

10 hours ago, Sarmatiko said:

If you ever read Antons posts on reddit then you know why performance on AMD is bad.

Basically the game is using nvidia tech that of course is optimized to nvidia ... for amd, it have a "software" fallback, that is of course slower... the good news is that in vulkan it should use the same code for both cards, so performance should be similar (unless nvidia tried to sabotage that, lets see).

As a side note, there is also problems with some amd cards+mesa and war thunder, either bug on warthunder or mesa or both. Mine RX480 is one of those, the frame time is huge compared with what it should and the GPU is very under-used... so much that it clocks itself to ~400MHz instead of near the top 1.3GHz. Weaker cards have much lower frame time and better GPU usage. the last major update did improve this, i got a 30% performance improvement, but still not near what it should be.

9 hours ago, Sarmatiko said:

By the way, anyone tried launching client with  -forcestart -driver:vulkan parameters?

Sorry, do not work, we also need to change the renderer2 parameter, just the driver is not enough... so the best option is still edit the config.blk file and remove the write permissions

6 hours ago, croquetor said:

There is no more black screen when focus on game!

For me, using a RX480 with mesa 18.1.2 i still get black screen with focus game... but i found that, using "click to focus", if i alt-tab to another app, war thunder gets minimized, i then click on it to maximize it again and move the mouse to another screen (my setup is dual head)... the game gets the focus, display everything in vulkan and i can control it... so the problem seems related not directly to focus, but to some signal/event that the game may also receive ( some "active" flag, different from focus)

Anyway, i can now at least test and play a little with vulkan... in my setup i only found for now some micro-freezes and only once some invisible buildings in the hangar (they showed up fine after the first battle and ever since

On 22/06/2018 at 10:01, Crunchbang said:

This pathetic attempt at GNU+Linux support is just that - PATHETIC.

@Crunchbang Be nice, many game build with directx multithread focus is hard to get the same performance in opengl, check the witcher2 story... opengl can have the same performance, but multithread on opengl works in a totally different way. To get good performance may require several engine rewrite and for the small linux market, of course most companies avoid that.

But fear not, using vulkan instead opengl will help offset most of those problems and Gaijin is doing exactly that, so your post is a bad taste post and way too offensive. You are attacking a company that not only ported the game to linux (unlike many others, say WoT) but also is trying to do a good port while still updating everything else. Attacking companies that do port their games to linux is not the correct way to make more games possible in linux. Some games even did receive a linux port in the past, not due the money, but for how good linux bug reports are and who the friendly community is, helping in the end the game windows version.

Yes, everyone would love to get better performance, but resources are always limited... finally notice that while some people got a big performance drop, other did got performance improvements (like me)! but again, either play in ULQ (if normal is really very bad for you) or in "alpha vulkan" version for now and wait for the vulkan port to be finish... if they are not pushed too much to release a half-finish port, you may even get more vulkan performance in the end, as probably there are still many areas where they didn't add the proper vulkan support ( vulkan can fallback to opengl code when needed) and so better optimize the game

So again, please go walk outside for a few minutes and avoid future post harsh posts like this, being friendly to devs and companies is better anytime and way better for all of us in the long run.

• Upvote 1
medal medal

4 hours ago, higuita7 said:

Basically the game is using nvidia tech that of course is optimized to nvidia ... for amd, it have a "software" fallback, that is of course slower... the good news is that in vulkan it should use the same code for both cards, so performance should be similar (unless nvidia tried to sabotage that, lets see).

It was something along the lines that AMD is bad at communication, very reluctant at fixing drivers and accepting game related patches and optimizations from game developers.

Sorry, do not work, we also need to change the renderer2 parameter, just the driver is not enough... so the best option is still edit the config.blk file and remove the write permissions

You mean "renderer3"? Because it doesn't seem that game uses "renderer2" and "renderer" parameters anymore (if you delete those in config, neither game nor launcher recreate those).

Cant check on Arch machine atm, but this works on win with mentioned command line and renderer3:t="auto"   driver:t="auto" defaults in config.

Edited by Sarmatiko

The game actually runs better on AMD hardware now, under Linux. So its not quite the case anymore. 

The black screen issue is not related to performance problems. In saying this RADV is slower than NVIDIA's vulkan implementation (20-30%?).

Edited by The_Riddick
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal