would you like to see the Type 89a I-Go ko 1930 be added to the game?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. would you like to see the Type 89a I-Go ko 1930 be added to the game?

• Yes
    • Yes, as premium/gift/events vehicles
    • No
  2. 2. would you like to see the Type 89a I-Go ko 1931 be added to the game?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. would you like to see the Type 89a I-Go ko 1933 early be added to the game?

• yes
    • No
  4. 4. would you like to see the Type 89B I-Go otsu be added to the game?

• Yes
    • No

wallpaper-349563.jpg

i would like to suggest the Type 89 I-Go family

IJA_Type_89_medium_tank_Ko_earlymodel.jp

while the game added the Type 89B I-Go Kō (late 1933) to the game at the release of the Japanese ground force, there was a lot of interesting variant to the Type 89 I-Go family which could be added to the game. with the recent addition of the french tank, those tank are all suitable to make it to the game.

in the late 20s, The Japanese tank industry was all new and the first experimental Japanese experimental tank started their trials. in 1926 the first experimental tank was produced to be tested. it was a multi-turreted tanks inspirited from the Vicker medium C. the trial of the Type 87 Experimental 1 wasn't well successful as the tanks was heavy, under-powered and unreliable. but the type 87 wasn't in vain when a parallel tank project was developed with a lot of design refinement. the new tanks was built in 1929 and received the designation of Type 89 I-Go. the I-Go was planned to work in the battlefield as complementary tanks. the Type 87 was meant to be a heavy tank while the Type 89 was supposed to be a light tanks. with the failure of the Type 87, the Type 89 was to be working without heavy tanks. as the Type 89 exceeded the weight of 10tons, it was soon classed as medium tank (in that time, a light tank was less than 8tons for most of the countries), the trial of the Type-89 was a satisfactory and the tank even menage to drive on a distance of 660km on his own power proving that the tanks was suitable for the the services. the tanks was soon recomanded to production in 1930.

the Type 89 I-Go wasn't a tanks designed to designed to fight other tanks. until the battle of Khalkhin Gol, the Japanese tanks doctrine was mostly centered into trench battle. as the main territory where the imperial armored force saw action was mainland china, the Japanese didn't meet many tanks that was well performing. as the chinese armored forces was out-numbered and mostly out-dated before the ww2 started in Europe, the Japanese saw no need to develop tanks made to fight other tanks. that mean their conception of a tanks was a machine that provide sufficient protection against infantry fire and a gun that can blow a house and supported by a machine-gun. but even if the main purpose of the Japanese tank wasn't to fight other tanks, they did used the type-89 against real tanks who was (lucky for them) at the same age of the Type-89 for most of them. the Chinese forces used many Panzer I and Vicker 6tons in china but those was far out-numbered against the Japanese armored force. the bulk of the Chinese armored force was lost in the battle of shanghai in 1937. the reign of the I-Go in china last for nearly a decade before truly been challenged. after the battle of Khalkhin Gol, it was clear that the Japanese armored doctrine was out-dated and the need of tanks with superior fire-power and protection was urgent. the Japanese developed new tanks which was more powerful, armored and mobile which left the Type 89 totally out-dated even in the rank of the Japanese. however, the few hundred Type 89 I-Go saw action even until the very end of the was despite to be nearly useless against the tanks.

Type 89A I-Go Kō model 1930

Spoiler

8d73d00fad90b2e9099874f3636ee5b3.jpg

the first production model of the Type 89 I-Go was a very limited production in 1930. only 5 tanks was produced in that time. at the difference to the prototype in trial, the first 5 produced I-Go wasn't armed with the 57mm but with the Type 11 37mm infantry gun. the reason was simply that the 57mm was not yet available to armed those tanks. the tank was powered by a license built 6 cylindre daimler Gasoline engine of 118hp. the gun was using APHE shell with a penetration of 29mm at 100m

Specifications
Weight 12.79 metric tons (14.10 short tons)
Length 5.73 m (18 ft 10 in)
Width 2.15 m (7 ft 1 in)
Height 2.56 m (8 ft 5 in)
Crew 4

Armor 6 to 17 mm (0.24–0.67 in)
Main
armament
37 mm Type 11 infantry gun
Secondary
armament
2 x 6.5 mm Type 91 machine gun
(hull, turret rear)
2,745 rounds[2]
Engine 6-cylinder Daimler water-cooled gasoline engine, 118hp
Suspension leaf spring
Operational
range
170 km (110 mi)
Speed 26 km/h

Type 89A I-Go Kō model 1931

Spoiler

a8f361f64589e6f734fd01c34ae97239_88e7229

the second production of the I-Go started in 1931 right after the model of 1930. the both tanks was nearly the same exept the new model was armed with the 57mm gun as it was originally planed.

Specifications
Width 2.15 m (7 ft 1 in)
Crew 4

Main
armament
57 mm Type 90 gun
100 rounds[2]
Secondary
armament
(hull, turret rear)
2,745 rounds[2]
Suspension leaf spring
Operational
range
170 km (110 mi)
Speed 26 km/h

Type 89A I-Go Kō model 1933 early

Spoiler

20140226083453.jpg

after the fighting in shanghai in 1932. serial improvement was been givent o the I-Go. thechnically this model was the same as the one in game exept for the turret who reamained the same as the previous model. the main difference on the turret compared to the later model produced in 1933 was the absence of gun shield which expose the crew to infantry fire if the gun is lifted. the main difference between that one and the previous model was the front of the hull who was now built in a single pieces.

Specifications
Width 2.15 m (7 ft 1 in)
Crew 4

Main
armament
57 mm Type 90 gun
100 rounds[2]
Secondary
armament
(hull, turret rear)
2,745 rounds[2]
Suspension leaf spring
Operational
range
170 km (110 mi)
Speed 26 km/h

Type 89B I-Go Otsu

Spoiler

1192512036391.jpg

the I-Go Otsu entered into production in 1935 and featured principally a new diesel engine who was more suitable for the cold weather of northern china and was less inflamable. a visual difference was the inversion of the drive and the hull gunner in the front of the tank (the driver was on the left side while the gunner was on the right side in the older model)

Specifications
Width 2.15 m (7 ft 1 in)
Crew 4

Main
armament
57 mm Type 90 gun
100 rounds[2]
Secondary
armament
(hull, turret rear)
2,745 rounds[2]
Engine Mitsubishi A6120VD air-cooled inline 6-cylinder diesel
120 hp (90 kW)/ 1800 rpm 14,300cc
Suspension leaf spring
Operational
range
170 km (110 mi)
Speed 26 km/h (16 mph)

Source

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_89_I-Go

http://www.militaryfactory.com/armor/detail.asp?armor_id=464

http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_type_89_chi_ro.html

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/japan/Type_89_I-Go.php

http://sensha-manual.blogspot.ca/2016/11/wt-type89-i-go.html

http://www3.plala.or.jp/takihome/develop.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_11_37_mm_infantry_gun

https://tanksinworldwar2.com/japan-type-89-yi-go.php

https://tanksinworldwar2.com/japan-type-89-otsu.php

https://books.google.ca/books?id=bYQwDwAAQBAJ&pg=PA113&lpg=PA113&dq=type+11+37mm+penetration&source=bl&ots=GgjSBxE9zj&sig=8KqXtOLBZRNeo5WUCQcIeDLsx7o&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiPz9TD5pPbAhWLuVkKHbP7BZAQ6AEIhgEwDA#v=onepage&q=type 11 37mm penetration&f=false

other low rank Japanese tank (Rank Zero)

Edited by CaID
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 21
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Open for discussion.:salute:

However, please reword the suggestion because you have only copy pasted Wikipedia.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Yes more Japanese tanks! Good job:good:

• Upvote 3
medal medal medal medal

I just want all of the I-Go's in the game. With the top model being the Type 89B I-Go Otsu with the Diesel engine and diver side swap at 1.3/7. \

(Also Type 89B I-Go Otsu is not in the game as implied by the vote, it is the Type 89B I-Go Ko in the game which is the second best version of the tank.)

Edited by Charakat
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

6 minutes ago, Charakat said:

I just want all of the I-Go's in the game. With the top model being the Type 89B I-Go Otsu with the Diesel engine and diver side swap at 1.3/7. \

(Also Type 89B I-Go Otsu is not in the game as implied by the vote, it is the Type 89B I-Go Ko in the game which is the second best version of the tank.)

yeah, in the game it was apparently an Type 89 I-Go Kai wich was the early production of the Type 89B and also the variant who have the less built.

the topic will be fix to change the mention of the I-Go Otsu to I-Go Kai.

• Upvote 2

Does the 37mm Type 11 infantry gun has better penertration than the 57mm Type 90 gun?
I think these tanks are decent for 1.0 just like the Japanese reserved I-Go Ko.

However, do we really need so many I-Go tanks?

Anyway, I support the I-Go Ko 1930.mod because of the different armament.

Edited by CroSSingLake
  • Upvote 2
medal medal

1 hour ago, CroSSingLake said:

Does the 37mm Type 11 infantry gun has better penertration than the 57mm Type 90 gun?
I think these tanks are decent for 1.0 just like the Japanese reserved I-Go Ko.

However, do we really need so many I-Go tanks?

Anyway, I support the I-Go Ko 1930.mod because of the different armament.

it have 29mm of penetration at 100m. and also a lot lower post penetration damage. the 57mm, as soon you can make in trough the armor, you are likely to kill everyone in a single shot. with it, the gun have no shield which allow the gunner to be kill by simple MG or the gun to be broken.

and for the need. i agree, the I-Go is not a really good tank but the japanese do not have much tanks. and if ever they decide to add the Rank 0 with the interwar tanks, the I-Go is likely to be lowered there which could make the japanese tier 1 about decent (the tier 0 would also make the french tier 1 about decent)

7OTod9Y.jpg

Edited by CaID
  • Upvote 1

@CaID

I think this idea is very good!

Especially, Model Otsu is one of the most popular model of Japanese tank, so Gaijin must make it for War Thunder!

But, These tanks name seems bit strange. (Yap, this is as nit piicks, sorry)

I think they should not call "I-go Ko" or "I-go Otsu". Ko or Otsu accompany its official name: Type 89 Medium (Light) Tank. I-go, Ro-go, Ha-go are secret name of project (code name, 秘匿名称)

Names should be: 

Type 89 Ko, I-go (八九式中戦車甲型/イ号)

Type 89 Otsu, I-go (八九式中戦車乙型/イ号)

• Upvote 1

rL07iUQ.jpg

This photo is Type 89 Prototype. This don't have cupola.

Source

Tomio Hara, Akira Takeuchi, 1961 "Japanese Tank and Fighting Vehicles"(日本の戦車) Vol.1, Shuppan Kyodo Sha

page 36

And, I don't have a photo but there are Type 89 with "37 mm Sogekiho".

JnF1hej.png

This sentence means 6 tank (Type 89) equip "37mm Sogekiho"

Original: 昭和二年六月二十二日付陸普第二六五〇号及同年八月十九日付陸普第二六五〇号調辨ノ戦車ニ対シ内六両ハ狙撃砲ヲ、十一輌ハ十一年式軽機関銃ヲ夫々各一宛装着方取計ハレ依命通達ス

Modern Japanese: 昭和2年6月22日付陸普第二六五〇号および同年八月十九日付陸普第二六五〇号で調達した戦車のうち6両は狙撃砲を、11両は11年式軽機関銃をそれぞれ1つづつ装着するよう取り計らうよう依命通達する。

Sorry, I can't translate to English because I don't have enough skills of it.

戦車用機関銃及狙撃砲装備の件/Equip Machine gun and Sogeki-ho for Tank (December 9, 1927)

Edited by aizenns
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, aizenns said:

This sentence means 6 tank (Type 89) equip "37mm Sogekiho"

Sorry, I can't translate to English because I don't have enough skills of it.

戦車用機関銃及狙撃砲装備の件/Equip Machine gun and Sogeki-ho for Tank (December 9, 1927)

8d73d00fad90b2e9099874f3636ee5b3.jpg

it's also called 37mm Type 11 infantry gun. it's already in the list. i named it the I-Go model 1930. it's not the official name but it's the production of 1930 which make sense. it is already in the suggestion

• Like 2

21 hours ago, CaID said:

it's also called 37mm Type 11 infantry gun. it's already in the list. i named it the I-Go model 1930. it's not the official name but it's the production of 1930 which make sense. it is already in the suggestion

Sogekihou(狙撃砲, Sniper cannon) and 11 years infantry cannon(十一年式平射歩兵砲) are 28 calibers 37 mm cannon to destroy machine-gun, but there structures are different.

11 years is very light to bring infantry, and it’s weight is 27.8 kg (include tripod: 93 kg) But Sogekihou is 42 kg (include shields, wheels and cradles: 175 kg)

So there velocities are different.

Sogekihou is 530 m/s But 11 years is 450 m/s

Shells

•11 years infantry cannon

11 years HE

12 years HE

Type 94 APHE (velocity: 437m/s)

Type 94 HE

Type 13 HE

•Sogekihou

•Sogekihou APHE

Mass: 710 g

Explosives: 35 g (Shimose)

•Experimental AP (same as Type 94 APHE for infantry cannon)

Velocities: 600 m/s

Penetration: can pen 20 mm armor (50m), But cannot pen 30 mm armor(50m)

Edit: Sogekihou manual (page 10〜)

JACAR ref. C02030853700

https://www.jacar.archives.go.jp/aj/meta/image_C02030853700?IS_KIND=SimpleSummary&IS_STYLE=default&IS_TAG_S1=InD&IS_KEY_S1=狙撃砲&

Edited by aizenns
  • Like 3

We definitely need more I-Go tanks.  I'm not sure we need four more models, but I wouldn't mind if we ended up getting them all!  I'd at least like to see an earlier model of I-Go and the I-Go Otsu.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 28/09/2018 at 09:57, Milocat said:

We definitely need more I-Go tanks.  I'm not sure we need four more models, but I wouldn't mind if we ended up getting them all!  I'd at least like to see an earlier model of I-Go and the I-Go Otsu.  

the plan is to have some meat to add the eventual Rank 0. when the Japanese ground force was added, the I-go was the worse tank in the game (i mean for the not specialized tank) but now that there is the French, the I-go is not much that bad anymore. with a rank 0, it would make the backbone of the rank in the Japanese tree until you get to the Type 97 chi-ha.

Edited by CaID
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, CaID said:

the plan is to have some meat to add the eventual Rank 0. when the Japanese ground force was added, the I-go was the worse tank in the game (i mean for the not specialized tank) but now that there is the French, the I-go is not much that bad anymore. with a rank 0, it would make the backbone of the rank in the Japanese tree until you get to the Type 97 chi-ha.

It also helps that the I-Go got its HEAT shell, especially since the penetration rework means that its APHE is almost useless.

In any case, I'd like more I-Go's in the game, assuming they were foldered under the current I-Go Kou. However, I'd have to pass on the I-Go prototype with the 37mm. Regardless if it's using the Sogekihou or the Type 11 infantry guns, both would be worse than the Type 94 tank gun, which was already so bad (after the penetration rework) that Gaijin ended up removing the Ha-Go from the game. All the other 57mm variants are fine, though.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Would like to of course see all of them, but for historical significance the Type 89 I-Go Otsu is a must.

• Like 1

In a discussion on Reddit there was a mention of an I-Go Otsu having a roof machine gun mount. While it only shows the mount in the picture, there's a model turret he provided with it showing what the machine gun would look like.

DN2TG5rVoAAoqm1.jpg

Model of turret:

Spoiler

DK3u43KUIAAhrfR.jpg

Edited by Wiggly_Armed_Man
  • Like 2
medal medal medal medal

Both SENSHA and Wikipedia point towards another model, the I-Go Ko produced from 1934. It introduced the flat slanted front hull and switched the machine gunner and driver places. Depending on which one you go to, it either did or didn't introduce the late suspension. Compared to the later Otsu, it is identical aside from it still using the water-cooled gasoline engine instead of the later air-cooled diesel engine.

medal medal medal medal