Okay, let's be clear . . . I have too much time on my hands.

I posted the other day about map dimensions in EC, and the responses indicated none of us knew very much, except they varied form map to map.

Sooo, I got busy.

Using Real World Maps of the EC battle locations, I was able to crop then scale, then resize to match images from game maps, superimposing the RW map scale onto the Game map.

At that point I could determine pixels per kilometer, which allowed me to find km per Grid.

Because of this several step process of copying and pasting, I make no claim of perfection.

These are close approximations . . . but offer more info than anything else I have found.

I have done no testing yet, but I would guess within 10% of reality.

I would appreciate comments and any testing (by timing flights across grids) anyone wants to try.

If you find these helpful, I will continue with the rest of EC Battles, if I'm wasting my time . . . nvm.

ruhrSCALE.jpg.bca181eb7404246fe14eca89c2sicilySCALE.jpg.cba13308a3ab1dae725b4abastalingradSCALE.jpg.bdc8072a1f373da0e4a6zhengzhouSCALE.jpg.4ed968c81eaa56fe8fd1dbulgeSCALE.jpg.285586df1d62bf686527c861f

Hope this is a good place to post these.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 6

Nice one!

I'm guessing the inconsistency in a single grid size is due to them scaling the maps to fit their 'cookie cutter' A-G/1-7 Formula

It would be great to see a standard one day across all boards.

• Thanks 1
medal medal medal medal

This was a harder one, fewer villages to scale off of, had to find distinctive bends in highways and rivers, luckily, WT has some very accurate maps.

Feel pretty comfortable that I got it right.

montmedySCALE.jpg.7bd067397a1972fc2fe546

You can see, most Map Grids are between 7km and 8.5km across, making the average battle area between 502 and 602 km.

With Ruhr and Zhengzhou both being larger.

Now I'm going to do some timed grid crossings to test my work.

Edited by McSlash

31 minutes ago, edenstyle said:

This is good stuff but is Zhengzhou really four times larger by area than Stalingrad and Sicily?

This concerned me as well, so I double checked.

Zhengzhou near the very center of the map, with Xinxiang at the Northern edge, column 6 . . . 42.1 straight line miles, 67km!

https://www.distance-cities.com/search?from=Zhengzhou%2C+Henan%2C+China&to=Xinxiang%2C+Henan%2C+China&fromId=ChIJnWqb8JRl1zURLO3M9BnuMnk&toId=ChIJRc17KBeR2TURo1Js2CrfOPs&country=

Surprising, isn't it?

It is surprising, but then maybe because there's quite a lot of area behind all the airfields the map is effectively quite a bit smaller. On a sidenote I wish they'd replace that map with literally anything else. 

• Haha 1
medal medal medal

Okay, revelation, while the Real World scale of Zhengzhou is 1252 km, I just crossed a Grid in 1 min 9 sec @ 420kph, indicating a Grid of 8km!!!   o_o

So, have they resized reality to create a STANDARD BATTLE AREA OF 562KM???

:008:

This can only be determined by timed crossings . . . but I'm bettin' they did. Which would explain why all maps have the same Grid.

Which also negates all the effort put in to this topic.  :facepalm:

Edited by McSlash

I think they resized things. Im not sure if the test map for gemans and Ruhr is exactily the same, but timing with a lovely Stuka I got 8,5km per grid.

• Thanks 1

You can test empirically by flying low level across a grid in each map at 300mph IAS.......should be close enough to Ground speed for our purposes... that is 5 miles per minute. So simple map to clock should work.

medal medal medal

6 hours ago, Dobs_ said:

You can test empirically by flying low level across a grid in each map at 300mph IAS.......should be close enough to Ground speed for our purposes... that is 5 miles per minute. So simple map to clock should work.

That's what we're doing now . . . after my Cartography Graphics project.

I made the mistake, thinking the grid size varied from map to map to match the Real World, because the maps were so RW accurate.

But, after some timed Grid crossings, it's obvious the maps have been resized to fit one standard Grid.

• 8 months later...

Picture links broken.  :( (sad pilot)

3 hours ago, Pony51 said:

Picture links broken.  :( (sad pilot)

Well, I had to dump something, I'd reached my limit . . .

My original hypothesis was incorrect; while EC maps are very accurate in topography and aspect ratio to their real life counterparts, they have all been compressed or expanded to create a grid that is approximately 8.5km2 .

24 minutes ago, Uchinanchuu said:

I did some very loose calculations in the heat of battle and assumed that the grids were 10km across, and I’ve been using that number as a rough guide ever since.  Didn’t know they were actually 8-8.5km.

It is hard to get a clear shot at constant speed in a battle map, and test flight maps are different. You would think it would a nice number like 10, but, I and others keep coming in at 8.5.

On 06/05/2018 at 23:15, McSlash said:

You can see, most Map Grids are between 7km and 8.5km across,

ALL ingame EC maps has grid size 8129x8192m. Therefore, most ingame EC maps has effective play size of approximately 56x56km (7x7 grid) - except bigger ones like Moskow, Britain, Ladoga lake etc.

Edited by Me4huk
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

17 hours ago, McSlash said:

Well, I had to dump something, I'd reached my limit . . .

My original hypothesis was incorrect; while EC maps are very accurate in topography and aspect ratio to their real life counterparts, they have all been compressed or expanded to create a grid that is approximately 8.5km2 .

You mean 8.5km on side, not km2 which is area.

So the typical map is 7 (grids) x 8.5km =  59.5 km on edge, or 3540.25km2

Well, is not the area of each square grid the square of the length of a side?

And, I still have only approximations, Me4huk seems pretty sure it's 8km.

My question is why 8, or 8.5, and not something logical, like 10?

58 minutes ago, McSlash said:

km2 = Area, the value already squared

km = length.

My guess:

8 is an Octal.  In programing is 23  Could say Base 8

20 = 1

21 = 2

22 = 4

23 = 8

24 = 16

While Base 10, the common number we use actually not fully divisible by 2.  You can blame your thumb for that annoying system.

So for ease of scaling in the computer world, it is easier to use a multiple of 2.

So I am inclined to think the value is actually 8km

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, McSlash said:

I'm not just sure, I know it. Grid side lenght is 2¹³ = 8192m. It is pure programming aspect, that's why it is not logical 10km.

Edited by Me4huk
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 07/02/2019 at 03:05, Sputnik_77 said:

All EC maps are 65x65km, thats from edge to edge.

From purely programming aspect exact length of map edge is 65536 meters which is 16bit to store each coordinate.

Which is exactly what @Me4huk wrote above, just from another approach 65536/8 = 8192m.

AND what I thought the map was made in machine language, binary (over thinking by saying octal)

so Base 2.

• 6 months later...

Reminder on the size of the maps (image lost)

And with the new SS jets these maps are getting too small (vs TOO BIG for biplanes)