Enduring Confrontation updates archive

I know I have brought this up earlier, but after recently playing Helicopter Simulator Battles, I would like to re-bring it up.

I have decided to bring my helicopter into Helicopter EC mode, although the gamemode is currently arcade.  However, I decided to anyways switch my control mode to my joystick, fly in mostly first-person views, and play as like I am in Simulator Battles.

The result was extremely fun.

20190314205911_1.thumb.jpg.66aa7e3b81bd9

The controls work fine for Simulator Battles.  It was harder to switch views, as every time I wanted gunner view or such, I had to cycle though 3rd person and 1st person without the cockpit, which assumingly would not exist in Simulator Battles (making the cockpit, gunner's view, and gun/missile camera).

Fighting enemy helicopters was hard obviously, as I was using a joystick and 1st person against someone with mouse aim guns and 3rd person.

But the flying was fun and ground attack felt fun and realistic.  And landing as well worked just fine.20190314210007_1.thumb.jpg.a56d57bac78c020190314210028_1.thumb.jpg.ead4fbf0b2be5

But the main point I wish to bring about, why I think helicopters in Air SB EC would be fun and balanced:

First of all, the performance and firepower of the helicopter.

The helicopter I view can be seen as a better prop attacker, it isn't all that different when one thinks of it.  The speed of a Mi-24 is similar to the speed of the IL-2.  However, it gains significant maneuverability: the ability to turn on the spot, and to hover.  The helicopter would not suffer on Enduring confrontation maps as many vehicles in game have similar, or even lower top speeds than the helicopters in game.  Plus, if map size was an issue, which I don't believe it would, of course helipad location could be adjusted.

The firepower is increased, justifying it's jet era roll.  Most of them feature Gatling guns and high powered cannons, often on turrets.  They have the rocket capacity of the heaviest fixed-wing attackers in game.  And their role with ATGMs I do not believe change at all, as all they do is ensure destruction of ground AI targets with increased accuracy over their WW2 attacker counterparts.  The air-to-ground capabilities are extremely high, but not insane compared to some fixed wing attackers, their overall ability appears to be the ability to deliver the ordinance with greatly increased accuracy.  But this does come at a cost, while delivering on average more damage to an area of ground units due to the increased accuracy, the helicopter is slower than jet counterparts, thus having to spend more time rearming traveling back and forth.

As for the air-to-air capabilities of helicopters, this is not anything more significant than current top tier jets.  Most can only have a frontal turreted weapon, which takes down enemy helicopters easily, as well as ground targets.  Air-to-air missiles, I believe only up to four on some (IR, 4, same as top tier jets), are effective against other helicopters as well, and have countermeasures too (as shown in normal helicopter battles).

But helicopters are as well not defenseless against aircraft, especially in Simulator Battles.  While aircraft in Realistic often do destroy helicopters (although I see helicopters paying attention destroy those jets, as they do have the firepower), everything in Simulator Battles is stacked for the helicopter's survival.

> Turrets can be used as a last resort against aircraft.  Their high rate of fire and firepower shred jets.

> Air-to-air missiles can theoretically be used against jets as well.

> Air-to-air missiles shot at helicopters, jets or helicopters,

and the two that give helicopters, without a doubt, a fighting chance:

> Jets would have a hard time hitting helicopters.  Slow flying targets are hard to hit.  Hitting a helicopter at 900km/h or so would be very hard to do, which historically, jets were not often the natural counter to helicopters.  Which slowing down has it's own issues.  First of all, you're much easier to hit: by the helicopters, by enemy aircraft, and even by ground fire (light AA, AAA, if they ever add ai SAMs, etc.).  But as well, the jet is just hard to control.  Slowing down to helicopter speeds poses their own issues, just ask the F-94 Starfire that tried to shoot down a Po-2 in Korea.

> Detection, helicopters would be extremely stealthy to jet fighters.  FIrst of all, RADAR wouldn't pick up helicopters often.  Jets flying at 3000m or so would never pick up the helicopter at treetop level.  Then comes obstacles, I believe the advantage of the helicopter would be flying at near-tree top level (or even lower when flying through river canyons and stuff, imagine how much fun that would be - usually not a viable tactic for a IL-28 or something), detection would be considerably hard considering hills, trees, and other ground scattering should block RADAR detection.  Literally flying under the RADAR.  Which I tried a lot in the game of Helicopter "Simulator" Battle EC I played.20190314211552_1.thumb.jpg.2177383120a9f

Extremely fun and not all that hard.  Control-ability was easy.  Which apart from RADAR, which also what most aircraft still use for detection, the good old eyeball, I believe this would work very effectively as well.  It is already hard to detect targets at low altitude, and often sometimes loose them mid fight even.  Detecting a jet flying near the ground is hard.  Now, imagine trying to detect a slower helicopter flying even lower to the ground - a helicopter that can dip below tree lines, though canyons, behind hills and houses, and even just flat out land.  Not impossible to detect, but defiantly a nightmare.20190314211935_1.thumb.jpg.d3b07ef634cfa

Currently convoys and battles are in Air EC, I don't think that is much of an issue.  I think adding more units just randomly scattered along the front line would present more targets and more life, which could be added; however, this isn't entirely a helicopter relating thing, as just in general, that would be fun for normal aircraft EC.

Helipads could be just extended alongside apart of the airfield, or could spawn on the map.  Perhaps their destruction wouldn't end the game like Airfields, but could prevent helicopters from spawning.  Or even just allowing helicopters to spawn on the airfield for now could work, they do have wheels and all (many of them at least).

I think treating helicopters as glorified cold war attackers could bring more options to the table.  I personally think it would be great to have helicopters in my lineup, say as an alternative (for Russia as an example) to the IL-28, where the 28 would have superior speed while the helicopter has superior firepower.  I was hoping ever since helicopters were announced that I could do this, but unfortunately helicopters are completely isolated from air combat, despite themselves being an aerial combat vehicle.  I believe, at least to me, they would be totally balanced in the 8.0-10.0 EC mode.

20190314205631_1.thumb.jpg.0b866f638a056

I hope it is at least something worth considering, instead of separating the player-base between different modes, I think combining in this case would have an overall positive impact on gameplay.  I think it will be fun, as well as realistic, and at least I think it is something worth testing or at least looking into.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Just one thing that needs to be done after adding of Tier VI, please reduce the timer for 10 jets in the 8-10 BR battles.

medal medal medal medal

Hey, any chance of the "Lock Time" for when you die in EC to be either completely removed, or at least DRASTICALLY reduced?

Because the lock times are simply absurd! If a "Top BR" vehicle is lost, the player has to wait for THIRTY MINUTES in order to be able to use it again!

I don't know about you, but I am rather playing the vehicles that I like instead of being forced into staring at a count down for THIRTY MINUTES. (Or having to look after a new session to start to grind the Spawn Points from the zero so that I can unlock my desired vehicle)

• Like 1
medal medal

42 minutes ago, LuizBarros99 said:

Hey, any chance of the "Lock Time" for when you die in EC to be either completely removed, or at least DRASTICALLY reduced?

Because the lock times are simply absurd! If a "Top BR" vehicle is lost, the player has to wait for THIRTY MINUTES in order to be able to use it again!

I don't know about you, but I am rather playing the vehicles that I like instead of being forced into staring at a count down for THIRTY MINUTES. (Or having to look after a new session to start to grind the Spawn Points from the zero so that I can unlock my desired vehicle)

10.0 aside I recommend you take those planes just one rank higher.

I always (ok, 1-2 exceptions) I take 2.0 to EC2, 3.3 into EC3, 4.7 into EC4 and so on. In my opinion that all those planes (ok Whirlwind being exception) can easily go there and are very much competitive when uptiered.
In fact planes like 109G6 or Yak3 are OP in EC3 (and are perfectly fine in EC4), P-51H is OP in EC4 (have not tested it in new EC5 but looks like it can go there with ease), 109E1 is OP in EC1 (and is extremely good in EC2).

Hell you can even take some 3.3 planes like F4U-1 into EC4 and still do very good there.

Now imagine those planes are not restricted. How do you think would it be like to fly 109G14 in game full of P-51H or spit Vb in game full of 109G6/A7M2?

Only problem is 10.0 since it can't be up-tiered but sadly I donot have jets so I won't pretend like I know what's best for them.

Edited by przybysz86
  • Upvote 4
medal medal medal medal medal

On 17/03/2019 at 08:23, kamikazi21358 said:

I know I have brought this up earlier, but after recently playing Helicopter Simulator Battles, I would like to re-bring it up.

[...] snip [...]

yes, I agree
it would be great to be able to fly your helicopters in the normal top tier plane EC

the maps are big enough for the helis to hide, and they would be great units to support any ground battles.

Edited by Iron_physik
  • Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, Iron_physik said:

yes, I agree
it would be great to be able to fly your helicopters in the normal top tier plane EC

the maps are big enough for the helis to hide, and they would be great units to support any ground battles.

...and deal with the convoys which nobody takes care off.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

On 17/03/2019 at 07:23, kamikazi21358 said:

I hope it is at least something worth considering, instead of separating the player-base between different modes, I think combining in this case would have an overall positive impact on gameplay.  I think it will be fun, as well as realistic, and at least I think it is something worth testing or at least looking into.

+1 I would genuinely enjoy being able to fly helicopter in Sim EC, especially for the Russians who don't have the best C.A.S lineup.

Edited by jonesy91
Unnecessary quotation of entire post.

Base AAA in T5/6 is utterly useless and unable to hit anything, well . .it can hit me, even my own base AAA will shoot me, but a 90  year old lady can do the rhumba over my airfield and make multiple passes and nothing.

I appreciate the dynamic where attacking an airfield should be possible, but it should not be possible for a single aircraft to happily have a picnic over an airbase.

Actually you should have some SAMs for T5/6   :lol2:

Anyway . .base defenses need to be improved so its not a base vulching session.

• Upvote 5
medal medal medal medal

On 28/03/2019 at 14:34, Twisted said:

Base AAA in T5/6 is utterly useless and unable to hit anything, well . .it can hit me, even my own base AAA will shoot me, but a 90  year old lady can do the rhumba over my airfield and make multiple passes and nothing.

I appreciate the dynamic where attacking an airfield should be possible, but it should not be possible for a single aircraft to happily have a picnic over an airbase.

Actually you should have some SAMs for T5/6   :lol2:

Anyway . .base defenses need to be improved so its not a base vulching session.

Yup. It's too easy to camp. 

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I really want to congratulate the development team on the "Vietnam" Map. It is astoundingly beautiful and the terrain is just so painfully exquisite. The rolling hills and mountains and valleys and rivers, it just makes flying low level so complete and delicious it makes my jaws hurt just thinking about it.  

Chasing a dot into those hills, the hide and seek, all adrenaline and thrill, the combat really all comes to life on this map. The size and scale is also great. 

It is such an amazing feeling to see a mountain range far off in the distance and you think "Yeah right" and as you reach it, the sheer joy that its not just cosmetic, you can actually fly it, and fight and hide in it it, is simply wonderful. and its not just one set of mountains, the entire map is like that.

I have never seen such a beautiful map in an air sim game. I just fall in love with it more every time I play on it. I just want to build a hut next to the runway and live there.

Really fantastic job and I can't praise the quality of work enough, congratulations to the development team on a truly unique work of art. 

:salute:

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

12 hours ago, Twisted said:

I really want to congratulate the development team on the "Vietnam" Map.

Totally agree, now some French v Russian, and French v Japanese low tier battles would be nice.

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

I also miss the old guadalcanal EC map amongst others, we don't actually have a pacific EC map at the moment, the closest coming to it would probably be scicily with its ships. Vietnam I dunno, doesn't feel like how vietnam should be, design-wise, feels too european.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

On 01/04/2019 at 12:00, Twisted said:

I really want to congratulate the development team on the "Vietnam" Map. It is astoundingly beautiful and the terrain is just so painfully exquisite. The rolling hills and mountains and valleys and rivers, it just makes flying low level so complete and delicious it makes my jaws hurt just thinking about it.  

Chasing a dot into those hills, the hide and seek, all adrenaline and thrill, the combat really all comes to life on this map. The size and scale is also great. 

It is such an amazing feeling to see a mountain range far off in the distance and you think "Yeah right" and as you reach it, the sheer joy that its not just cosmetic, you can actually fly it, and fight and hide in it it, is simply wonderful. and its not just one set of mountains, the entire map is like that.

I have never seen such a beautiful map in an air sim game. I just fall in love with it more every time I play on it. I just want to build a hut next to the runway and live there.

Really fantastic job and I can't praise the quality of work enough, congratulations to the development team on a truly unique work of art. 

:salute:

I agree that it is a beautiful map but the bases don't render!

medal medal medal medal

On 30/01/2019 at 11:45, Me4huk said:

I guess we all have to await very eagerly:

Sadly the opposite happened. A lot of players are only hunting other players now which makes playing helicopters like the UH-1 pretty unplayable. These changes of helicopter battles made me stop participating. It was fun before now it's a missile slaughter fest where players barely attack ground targets.

Edited by PaganMin_

Improve the behavior of AIs. I explain :

Once I played a match, I was high and saw an enemy below. I went down to attack and to my surprise, disappeared ...

Another, I was in the 6 of an aircraft, when I was in firing position, the aircraft disappeared.

There are many other examples

The AIs might not disappear like this, when an AI was scheduled to disappear from the match, it could move to the side of the map and then disappear instead of disappearing in the middle of the map.

• Upvote 1

On ‎10‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 16:11, Cayari said:

Once I played a match, I was high and saw an enemy below. I went down to attack and to my surprise, disappeared ...
Another, I was in the 6 of an aircraft, when I was in firing position, the aircraft disappeared.

This has happened to me so many times. It really is irritating to waste your time, energy, and ammo trying to shoot someone down, and then they just disappear. 

medal medal

• 2 weeks later...

From the devblog - https://warthunder.com/en/news/5973-development-modular-airfields-in-enduring-confrontation-en:

We should also note that, thanks to the new mechanic, modular airfields will no longer disappear even if all modules are completely destroyed. A bombed-out airfield will no longer disappear underneath your aircraft as you’re taking off, and in extreme cases it can even be used as a flat surface for a final landing. Moreover, even if all of an airfield’s modules have been destroyed, its functions can still be restored after a certain amount of time has passed.

I didn’t know that was supposed to be the case, so didn’t take full details when it didn’t work as above a few days ago.  A few days ago I successfully landed a  damaged Japanese jet and had just shut down and started the repair when the airfield was destroyed. At that point the runway did disappear, along with the rest of the airfield I assume, and my aircraft blew up and “you have been captured” despite being a couple of grids behind friendly lines.

Devblog goes on to link this thread as the place to report instances of anything counter to the devblog description. 

It was EC5 on Zhengzhou and the airfield was in the north-west, prob B2 plus/minus a grid.

Edited by Kernow1346
Additional info
medal

584094885_Screenshot(23).thumb.png.38d7d

Sicily is showing 6 airfields per side. I didn't attempt to land at all of them, but from what I could tell, all were functional. Is this intentional?

medal

• Pony51 changed the title to Enduring Confrontation updates archive