The_Riddick

v1.77 and -20fps and black blotches on ground

On 18/06/2018 at 09:43, RonnsterPL said:

About Linux performance - some days ago i enabled in my xorg config triple buffer and ... i have significaly better performance than before. I use GTX 1060 and NVIDIA drivers 396.24 - gaming is much better now :D - not so good like with windows, but !

Just for clarity: The performance measurements that players reported here are typically done with VSYNC off.

 

When VSYNC is enabled, the gfx card avoids tearing in the middle of a refresh by waiting until the screen is done refreshing its content. OpenGL uses a third buffer that the gfx card can render to while waiting on the screen. If the gfx card is done rendering before VSYNC the frame waiting in the back buffer is dropped and replaced by this new frame. For gfx cards rendering at higher speed than monitor refresh this means a waste of power, but below screen refresh rate it allows the gfx card to continue rendering while waiting for VSYNC and increase FPS up to what you would get without VSYNC. Video memory use increases and I'm not quite sure how much mouse and keyboard input lag in this setup. Please note that while OpenGL may drop old frames in triple buffering, DirectX displays them all (https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/467511/geforce-drivers/how-does-triple-buffering-really-work-can-anyone-explain-this-to-me-/post/3323933/#3323933). That caused a lot of confusion for me and I hope I got it right. I'll do some benchmarking anyways.

 

EDIT after benchmarking:

I tried

Option "TripleBuffer" "true"

and the effect was a 0.1 FPS increase in OpenGL and Vulkan on my Optimus setup - within margin of error in my Optimus setup. I also noticed that the Vulkan render has severe input lag, so while it is faster for low settings, be aware of that. You might gain a few FPS, but fail to keep on target.

Edited by Streuwinkel_Nerd
Ran some benchmarks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/05/2018 at 15:26, relliK said:

1. create a file named    pkg_vulkan.rq2   in the ..\War Thunder\content\  folder (there should be some other pkg_***.rq2 files

in that folder as well) - the file can be an empty file... personally i just duplicated / copied and renamed the pkg_main.rq

 

2. start the launcher... it should analyze the game files and once done it should download the necessary files for Vulkan

(like precompiled shaders etc)

 

3. open the config.blk in the War Thunder main game directory and edit the  renderer3  and  driver  variables from

 

renderer3:t="auto"
driver:t="auto"

 

to 
 

renderer3:t="vulkan"
driver:t="vulkan"

 

(according to my tests   vulkan   must be written in small letters... writing Vulkan (capital V) made my client crash on the start)

 

4. run the game via the aces(.exe) bypassing the launcher (since it will reset the render setting to auto... at least it did for me)

On 12/05/2018 at 08:36, amsel41 said:

The only small differences for linux:

- in linux 'config.blk' there is a "renderer2:t="auto", changed to "renderer2:t="vulkan"

- it doesnt work with 'old graphic card support' enabled (my default since months)

 

 

 

 

So I try all this and it still runs in opengl.  Any ideas?

 

medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, *baked_Potato_rkm said:

So I try all this and it still runs in opengl.  Any ideas?

Rinse and repeat?

 

On ‎11‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 21:26, relliK said:

1. create a file named    pkg_vulkan.rq2   in the ..\War Thunder\content\  folder (there should be some other pkg_***.rq2 files

in that folder as well) - the file can be an empty file... personally i just duplicated / copied and renamed the pkg_main.rq

 

2. start the launcher... it should analyze the game files and once done it should download the necessary files for Vulkan

(like precompiled shaders etc)

The game can be launched in Vulkan mode either way, but if you missed these steps, the game will stop loading at some point, telling you it could not find a shader file.

 

Quote

3. open the config.blk in the War Thunder main game directory and edit the  renderer3  and  driver  variables from

 

renderer3:t="auto"
driver:t="auto"

 

to 
 

renderer3:t="vulkan"
driver:t="vulkan"

It always worked for me with only the driver line set to "vulkan". YMMV.

 

Quote

4. run the game via the aces(.exe) bypassing the launcher (since it will reset the render setting to auto... at least it did for me)

:vanga:This implies that the launcher becomes a mere update tool. Don't launch the game through it ever. Exit and repeat steps 3 and 4 to stay in Vulkan mode.:vanga:

(People that know what they are doing(tm) may also use the old Linux command-line updater with a modded config to update and launch the game without undesired config changes.)

Edited by Streuwinkel_Nerd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ahhh  I guess it just isn't going to work for me yet.

 

renderer2:t="vulkan"

 

There isn't anything else I have to do?

Edited by *baked_Potato_rkm
medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually yes, I forgot that when you start out with Vulkan, you need to install it first. Try the tools vulkaninfo and vulkancube that come with the official libraries and see if you can get them running within your distribution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/05/2018 at 00:07, Streuwinkel_Nerd said:

P.S.: So far I had two crashes and flickering of: rockets, decoration bushes, tank tracks at least on NVIDIA's drivers. So bring a bit of desperation to try it out. :p

Update: The flickering is now gone and I am using NVIDIA Beta Drivers 396.24.10. The graphics now look the same as in OpenGL. Input lag is still present for me though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vulcan doesnt come with nvidia driver?   Hmm...   back to the drawing board for me anyway.  I keep getting fatal errors Vulkan or no Vulkan game crashes all the time now.  Went from 100 percent stable to the farthest I can get is click enter battle then crash if I am lucky it gets that far.

medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vulkan uses ICDs (which i I remember from Half-Life 1 with OpenGL, so that's an at least 20 year old idea). Apps and games don't access the driver directly, instead they use the Vulkan loader which looks into a special directory where all device drivers place small pieces of information on how where to find their Vulkan implementations. NVIDIA seems to have augmented their GLX library for that (/etc/vulkan/icd.d/nvidia_icd.json):

{
    "file_format_version" : "1.0.0",
    "ICD": {
        "library_path": "libGLX_nvidia.so.0",
        "api_version" : "1.1.80"
    }
}

So when I wrote "install Vulkan library" I actually meant that loader library and tools that come with it. This also includes extra wrappers like some validation layers that are used by developers to check if they use the API correctly. That should in theory make sure Vulkan apps behave the same with each platform as there can be no second guessing by the driver to correct common programmer mistakes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was manually installing Vulkan sdk until I find this...

# apt install vulkan-utils

 

so I input this

 

vulkaninfo | less

+

And it outputs abunch of info about my gpu and vulkan.   Now how do I get warthunder to run....  Simply changing renderer2:t=vulkan is not doing it.

 

The don't match...

===========
VULKAN INFO
===========

Vulkan Instance Version: 1.1.73

 

{
    "file_format_version" : "1.0.0",
    "ICD": {
        "library_path": "libGLX_nvidia.so.0",
        "api_version" : "1.1.70"
    }
}

 

I have to link Warthunder dynamically or staticly somehow to Vulkan loader? 

Edited by *baked_Potato_rkm
medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/07/2018 at 11:12, Streuwinkel_Nerd said:

Vulkan uses ICDs (which i I remember from Half-Life 1 with OpenGL, so that's an at least 20 year old idea). Apps and games don't access the driver directly, instead they use the Vulkan loader which looks into a special directory where all device drivers place small pieces of information on how where to find their Vulkan implementations. NVIDIA seems to have augmented their GLX library for that (/etc/vulkan/icd.d/nvidia_icd.json):


{
    "file_format_version" : "1.0.0",
    "ICD": {
        "library_path": "libGLX_nvidia.so.0",
        "api_version" : "1.1.80"
    }
}

So when I wrote "install Vulkan library" I actually meant that loader library and tools that come with it. This also includes extra wrappers like some validation layers that are used by developers to check if they use the API correctly. That should in theory make sure Vulkan apps behave the same with each platform as there can be no second guessing by the driver to correct common programmer mistakes.

They now match each other, yet I still can not load the game in Vulkan....  {
    "file_format_version" : "1.0.0",
    "ICD": {
        "library_path": "libGLX_nvidia.so.0",
        "api_version" : "1.1.73"
    }
}

 

===========
VULKAN INFO
===========

Vulkan Instance Version: 1.1.73

 

 

 

NVM Found it.....

 

I also needed this on top fof the reder2t thingy...:

driver:t="vulkan"

 

Edited by *baked_Potato_rkm
medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That will be your composer, there is only like 2 or 3 composers that work without the black screen issue, compiz oddly is one of the ones that works but you need to configure it to not minimize the game or it won't maximize again.

 

You can install then switch composers normally by using a command like 'compiz --replace' to test things out.   (with Alt-F2 or via terminal command)

Edited by The_Riddick
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/05/2018 at 21:26, relliK said:

3. open the config.blk in the War Thunder main game directory and edit the  renderer3  and  driver  variables from

 

renderer3:t="auto"
driver:t="auto"

 

to 
 

renderer3:t="vulkan"
driver:t="vulkan"

 

(according to my tests   vulkan   must be written in small letters... writing Vulkan (capital V) made my client crash on the start)

 

4. run the game via the aces(.exe) bypassing the launcher (since it will reset the render setting to auto... at least it did for me)


THNX a bunch for sharing this..much appreciated !

How to you run the aces.exe file...what does the string look like ?
 

medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mrazster said:


THNX a bunch for sharing this..much appreciated !

How to you run the aces.exe file...what does the string look like ?
 

 

 

.exe files are Windows binaries. The 'aces' binary in GNU/Linux has not extension at all. If you want to run it you must open a terminal, go into the path where is the 'aces' file located and then do

 

./aces 

 

Edited by _WyRe_
medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, _WyRe_ said:

 

 

.exe files are Windows binaries. The 'aces' binary in GNU/Linux has not extension at all. If you want to run it you must open a terminal, go into the path where is the 'aces' file located and then do

 


./aces 

 


I'm aware what .exe is and that it won't work in linux with out some kind of wineprefix to start it with.

What you are suggesting doesn't work...I just get an output in terminal that says:

File or folder doesn't exist

 

There is nothing that understands the .exe file in linux other than wineprefixes that I know of...for example, when I start my Guild Wars 2 with wine it looks like this :
wine64 "/home/mrazster/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/Guild Wars 2/Gw2-64.exe" -dx9single -autologin

What do I use to make linux understand the .exe fil in this case...how does that line look like in the terminal, because as I said befor it can't just dubbleklick it..nothing happends, and I can't run it from the terminal either.

 

medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, chmooreck said:

./linux64/aces

 

That actually worked....but I got a blank(black) screen....but I can hear the music in the background so the game is running.

Using KDE Neon 18.04 User edition and nvidia 396.54.09 and made sure I got all the vulkan stuff installed.

 

Edited by mrazster
medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mrazster said:

 

That actually worked....but I got a blank(black) screen....but I can hear the music in the background so the game is running.

Using KDE Neon 18.04 User edition and nvidia 396.54.09 and made sure I got all the vulkan stuff installed.

 

 

 

But what are trying to run? Linux native version or the Windows one over Wine?  The command that @chmooreck has provided you is for Linux's native version. If you want run directly 'aces.exe' over wine you must do what @vivnet said:
 

5 hours ago, vivnet said:

cd <WarThunder path>

 

WINEPREFIX=<path> wine win32/aces.exe

 

I would use a 64bit prefix, btw. You must choose the 'aces.exe' from right path according to your WINEPREFIX (there are 'win32/aces.exe' and 'win64/aces.exe', so... choose properly).

Edited by _WyRe_
medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.