On 18/11/2019 at 05:17, Razielkaine said:

On the topic of this i found this image online last night but not a lot of supporting information about it.

vickers_main_battle_tank_mk-vii_23169124953-741x525.jpg

This is a VisMod with fake ERA and dummy search light, definitely not a Vickers.

does anyone know if the vickers MBT really ever had ERA armour upgrades?

Vickers Mk. 3(M) :

2145867917_VickersMainBattleTankMark3(M)

Also, The Vijayanta is not identical to the Vickers MBT MK.1.

The difference concerns the commander's cupola.

However the 1975 Vickers MBT MK.3, an overall upgrade to the MK.1 was offered with a large variety of rounds, including HEAT-FS.

The British have never designed 105 mm HEAT ammunition.

The French OCC 105 F1 and the US M456 HEAT-T shaped-charge rounds are certified for any 105mm NATO guns, in other words, whatever if the tank is a Vickers MBT Mk. 1 or 3, it's not a problem.

On 19/11/2019 at 15:01, Baron_Tiberius said:

Do you have a source on that? I've never seen anything to suggest it was anything more than a straight Mk.1 copy.

Vijayanta  "Bison" :

vijayanta_modernisation.jpg.00332062e371

Edited by Auto_tracking
medal

The 3(m) isn't really an upgrade to the mk.1, its a new tank. The base mk.3 was a mk.1 hull with a new cast turret, the 3(i) used that cast turret with a new cast hull, the 3(m) was made for a Malaysian proposal and has ROMOR-A on it, but I've no idea what the tank looks like under that - if its new or just a 3 or 3i.

Also yeah, i've seen the one photo of the "bison" and some webpages that list potential changes but not much else other than that. Was curious if there was a more comprehensive and reliable source.

Edited by Baron_Tiberius
medal medal medal medal medal

3 hours ago, Baron_Tiberius said:

Do you have a source on that? I've never seen anything to suggest it was anything more than a straight Mk.1 copy.

There are definitely upgrades of it, like the one with composite armor as seen in photos:

https://www.tanks.net/early-cold-war-tanks/vijayanta-main-battle-tank.html

http://kapil1979.blogspot.com/2007/01/mbt-vijayanta.html

Article about it:

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/coldwar/India/Vijayanta.php

At the very least, most Vijayanta at later years have L7A2 gun with thermal sleeve. The problem is, like most Indian tanks, photo and document are them are scarce. For example one prototype of the Arjun has a Vickers Mk.7/Challenger style turret, yet very little info is available about it.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal

1 hour ago, Baron_Tiberius said:

The 3(m) isn't really an upgrade to the mk.1, its a new tank. The base mk.3 was a mk.1 hull with a new cast turret, the 3(i) used that cast turret with a new cast hull, the 3(m) was made for a Malaysian proposal and has ROMOR-A on it, but I've no idea what the tank looks like under that - if its new or just a 3 or 3i.

Also yeah, i've seen the one photo of the "bison" and some webpages that list potential changes but not much else other than that. Was curious if there was a more comprehensive and reliable source.

As far as im aware the 3m is basically a 3i with ROMOR

39 minutes ago, Baron_Tiberius said:

I only doubt that because of the 3i's rounded turret and the rather well fitted polygonal shape of the M. Vickers also wasn't afraid of making one-off turrets so I think its certainly possible its different (for reference i've counted at least 4 turrets on the mk.4).

Heh this is very true Vickers did like to make strange one off's and odditys (alongside Alvis who just churned out some really strange stuff)