Anonmoosekaab

F7F Tigercat Missing Multiple Historical Modifications

Hello, I'd like to report a bug regarding some missing historical modifications of the F7F Tigercat.  I understand the rule of "one thread per issue", but I also did not want to spam the forum with multiple threads with only one modification at a time.  If you would prefer me to create a single thread for each modification please let me know and I will be happy to do so.

Here is a screenshot of the currently available modifications for the F7F Tigercat:

5a637c0a7e3e9_shot2018_01_2012_26_02.thu

I have listed the modifications that are missing as well as the documents proving these modifications were actually available to the F7F Tigercat.

• G-Suit

Presumably this would be the same G-Suit found on the F8F-1 and F8F-1B Bearcat and would be placed underneath the Wing Repair in the modifications window in rank 4.

SOURCE: http://www.avialogs.com/index.php/aircraft/usa/grumman/f-7ftigercat/an-01-85fa-1-pilot-s-handbook-for-f7f-1n-f7f-2n-f7f-3-f7f-3n-f7f-4n-airplanes.html, Page 35 of 121 (this is going by the little box below the document), section h (on the right hand side of the page about half way down), describes that the F7F Tigercat had "Anti-Blackout provisions" and that said system connects to "the pilot's personal equipment", which is in reference to a G-Suit.  Therefor the F7F deserves a G-Suit module.

• Torpedo

Presumably this would be both the Mk 13 and Mk 13/44 torpedo we have in game and it would be located as a rank 2/ rank 3 modification to the right of the bomb modules

SOURCE: http://www.alternatewars.com/SAC/F7F-1N_Tigercat_ACP_-_1_March_1946.pdf, Page 2 of 6, in column number 7 the performance of the F7F Tigercat with a torpedo equipped is listed.  This shows that the F7F was capable of carrying a Mk 13/44 torpedo.  Also see http://www.alternatewars.com/SAC/F7F-1_Tigercat_ACP_-_1_May_1944.pdf, page 2 of 6, in column number 7 the performance of the F7F Tigercat with a torpedo equipped is listed.  However this time it is the Mk 13 torpedo as opposed to the above where it is a Mk 13/44 torpedo.

• Rockets

Presumably this would be HVAR rockets, 8 total with 4 on each wing, the unlockable modification would be located in rank 1, as predecessor to the torpedo module

SOURCE: http://www.avialogs.com/index.php/aircraft/usa/grumman/f-7ftigercat/an-01-85fa-1-pilot-s-handbook-for-f7f-1n-f7f-2n-f7f-3-f7f-3n-f7f-4n-airplanes.html, Page 73 of 121 (this is going by the little box below the document), figure 45, we can see that object number 16 is rockets which look exactly like HVAR rockets installed in pairs of 4 on the outer parts of the wing.  This shows that the F7F Tigercat was capable of carrying HVAR rockets.

I would also like to strongly urge the developers to attempt to fix this bug before Naval Forces are publicly playable.  The F7F is a unique plane in War Thunder as the only carrier based heavy fighter and it's ability to carry a torpedo and/or rockets while still being a potent fighter would make it a player favorite in Naval Forces.

2018_01_20_12_25_34__20084.clog

• Upvote 1
medal

Approved.

See if you can find the rocket it carries.  

I believe it is HVAR, but prefer some clear evidence.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Pony51 said:

Approved.

see my post before

F7F-1/3 both have HVARs,F7F-3 have tiny tims,and they are missing lots of bombs

and I think F7F should have late war .50 belt as F4U-4/F8F-1 in game

• Upvote 1
medal medal

8 hours ago, Pony51 said:

Approved.

Thank you.  I have done my best to uncover evidence as to what types of rockets the F7F can carry.  I reread relevant parts of the manual and SACs and this is what I was able to find:

http://www.avialogs.com/index.php/aircraft/usa/grumman/f-7ftigercat/an-01-85fa-1-pilot-s-handbook-for-f7f-1n-f7f-2n-f7f-3-f7f-3n-f7f-4n-airplanes.html, Page 75 of 121, section c (on the left hand side of the page about half way down), the manaul states: "Mk. 5 pylons are installed" and "Mk. 9 pylons are installed".  What I gather is that there was an option to install either Mk. 5 or Mk. 9 pylons, however I cannot find any in game modules that match the name of these.  Instead I decided to reference documents for the F6F Hellcat which already has the ability to carry HVAR rockets in game.  In the document here, on page 2 of 6, column 8 lists that the Hellcat is capable of carrying 6 HVAR rockets.  Below in the notes section it states:  "Col. 8 - rockets suspended from MK5-2 rocket launchers".  So to summarize how I concluded the Mk. 5 rocket pylons allowed for HVAR installation, I checked documentation on the predecessor plane to the F7F Tigercat and found that it was capable of carrying HVAR rockets on Mk. 5 rocket pylons.  The same also holds true for the Mk. 9 rocket pylons, as in the F8F Bearcat (the sucessor to the F7F Tigercat) manual, page 68 of 117 and page 69 of 117, a similar diagram to that in the F7F's manual is drawn, showing the exact same rocket design, and on the next page in section c. detailing the rocket loadout it says that HVAR rockets are able to be installed on Mk. 9 rocket pylons.

I hope this is good enough proof to confirm the F7F Tigercat can fire HVAR rockets, and best of luck to the development team in implementing these missing modules.

medal

Thanks both for contributions.

• Upvote 1

On 1/26/2018 at 3:22 PM, Anonmoosekaab said:

Any idea when this can get passed to development?  It's been a couple of days and nothing else has been posted so I thought I would ask.

Found the rocket load, in the PDF you linked.

It was indeed 8x 5" HVAR.

Can you find more on the torpedoes?

Only thing mentioned is the load out, not mounting and operation.

Filed

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Pony51 said:

Can you find more on the torpedoes?

Only thing mentioned is the load out, not mounting and operation.

Sure thing, and a huge thanks for filing the bug report.

It seems that the Torpedo is mounted centrally on the fuselage, much like how it is mounted on the F6F-5 and F6F-5N Hellcat in game.  See this picture I found and this one too, linked on our own War Thunder forum.  Also in said thread, this was linked, which mentions at the bottom that the Mk13-3 torpedo is interchangeable with the center-line external fuel tank.  As further proof of this, according to: http://www.alternatewars.com/SAC/F7F-1N_Tigercat_ACP_-_1_March_1946.pdf, loadout numbers 6 and 8 confirm what was written in the document linked to the aforementioned thread that the Tigercat was capable of carrying a 300 gallon fuselage tank or a fuselage mounted torpedo.  I am assuming operation of the torpedo is the same as operation of the central bomb rack as described on page 74 of 121 of the manual.

Something important I totally missed - In reading page 74 of the manual and the ACPs I linked I realized that it says the Tigercat can carry a 2000 lb bomb or a 1600 lb bomb on it's central bomb rack, and 2x 1000 lb bombs on its wing racks as well.  Is it too late to add this to the bug report that was just filed or can those be added as well?  I couldn't find performance numbers for some of these bomb loadouts but the manual and ACPs clearly state the Tigercat could load said armaments.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Edited by Anonmoosekaab
medal

Can be, will be added. :) 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pony51 said:

Can be, will be added. :) 

I think missing bomb load(one 2000lbs and two 1000lbs) is a bug which already be reported

Here is the conclusion I made before,hope u can add it

The empty weight of F7F-1 is 15943lbs,while the maxium take off weight showed in ACP is 25879lbs(with full inside fuel(426gallons),two 150gallons droppable  tanks and one mk13 torpedo )

When a F7F-1 take 426 gallons fuel without any bombs,her gross weight is 21425lbs(Accordimg to Condition 1 in ACP)

So the maxium bombs F7F-1 can take is two 1000lbs bombs under wing and one 2000lbs bomb(or a MK13 torpedo) in centerline.With 4000lbs bomb load and 426gallons ,her weight is about 25500lbs,lower than the maxium take off weight.

Second,for F7F-3,according to ACP,it have same bomb racks as F7F-1(two under wing(max1000lbs)and one in centerline(max2000lbs or mk13 torpedo)),but it have eight HVAR lauchers

the empty weight of F7F-3 is 16270lbs and the gross weight with 455gallons fuel is 21720lbs,the maxium take off weight show in ACP is 26075lbs.The condition 7 show it can take off with 455gallons fuel,two 1000lbs bombs and one 2000lbs bomb(or a MK13 torpedo)

So the maxium load in game should be:1)two 1000lbs bombs under wings and one 2000lbs(or a MK13 torpedo) bombs in centerline

2)three 1000lbs bombs under wings and centerline and 8HVAR rockets in the outer panel of wings(four HVAR under each wings,one HVAR weight 140lbs,and eight HVAR have nearly same weight as 1000lbs ) 

3)three Tiny Tim(already in game)

• Thanks 1
medal medal

:good:

• Upvote 1

archived