SilkMonger

Can we get a ground only mode?

7 hours ago, Xogo said:

As a side note, I think the addition of a new mode would simply be bad for Gaijin itself. Gaijin is a pretty small company, and only a fairly small part of them is working on War thunder - low enough that some file diggers have apparently learned to identify certain coders based off notations they leave in their flight models, with one (who apparently did the new 190 and Corsair models) being pretty infamous. We've watched the overall quality of the game slowly drop since shortly after Ground Forces was added. With some people already working on ships (a bad venture, IMO) on the side, they already seem to be stretched thin as it is. If the new mode were to have it's own balance changes (Which I feel it probably would, with the removal of aircraft), I don't think they could keep up. I mean, they're barely keeping up now. The scales of balance are only a couple of Kgs away from being well and truly tipped across the board - I don't like to think what could happen if you gave them another platform they have to stand on.

Yes I’m worried about them spreading themselves too thin as well. 

But this is also the result of a bad PR department making the community rather toxic and distrustful, which is causing players to not be retained as easily. 

And if the company itself is small, then they need to incentivise more people buying premium time without raising the cost of it too awfully much. Many other MMOs give lots of exclusive perks in addition to the earnings doubling. The only premium perks I see currently are 4 decals and modifying camouflage condition. Premium time should arguably give more stuff to players willing to shell out considerable amounts of money for it. 

Furthermore, they aren’t taking advantage of the WT Live community and the small army of skilled CDK users that could easily have map-making duty offloaded to them. The Devs should just admit they’re getting overworked and start outsourcing to creative players. Maybe host monthly map-making contests for Air and Tank RB and give away 5k GE to the top five winners. But, the players have to be the ones deciding which ones they want via hosting of events on said maps. 

There are skilled programmers playing this game for fun that like making intriguing user missions, and there are think tanks like me who’ve got a lot of interesting ideas but no programming knowledge to make them real. 

They could even leave smallish bug fixes to the playerbase as well if they wanted to. The community managers would probably pick people who have shown talent in making ingame content already (like user-made planes/tanks/maps) and task them with some of the bugfixing. Some bugs are literally “open up file and change a number” like the Maus’s turret front armor. The more complicated ones can be fixed by the dev teams.

medal medal medal medal medal

It's a great idea and would give many of us the game we want.   Unfortunately, any discussion of this topic brings out a certain group who feel it's their job to prevent us from having what we want.   Very closed minded.

• Upvote 3
medal

17 minutes ago, __RACERX__ said:

It's a great idea and would give many of us the game we want.   Unfortunately, any discussion of this topic brings out a certain group who feel it's their job to prevent us from having what we want.   Very closed minded.

I’d just prefer to see planes’ ordinance fixed and ordinance-carrying stuff getting huge spawn cost hikes.

Then meanwhile scale up all rewards for tanks so they’re equivalent to what planes earn. 

And finally lower spawn costs of clean fighters, while also buffing SPAAG so if anyone still manages to cap & fly they won’t have total control of the sky ever.

Then also perhaps tweak ULQ from plane perspective so that a tank hiding under trees simply doesn’t render from the air until you’re close enough for details to start rendering. This would give tank players some sort of place to hide. Perhaps something similar could be done with buildings.

Basically improve the mode to fix what people chiefly complain about instead of outright removing Aircraft.

Edited by MH4UAstragon
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, MH4UAstragon said:

I’d just prefer to see planes’ ordinance fixed and ordinance-carrying stuff getting huge spawn cost hikes.

Then meanwhile scale up all rewards for tanks so they’re equivalent to what planes earn. 

And finally lower spawn costs of clean fighters, while also buffing SPAAG so if anyone still manages to cap & fly they won’t have total control of the sky ever.

Then also perhaps tweak ULQ from plane perspective so that a tank hiding under trees simply doesn’t render from the air until you’re close enough for details to start rendering. This would give tank players some sort of place to hide. Perhaps something similar could be done with buildings.

Basically improve the mode to fix what people chiefly complain about instead of outright removing Aircraft.

But making another mode would be good for everyone, ppl like me who only wants to play tanks in tanks battles would have that. People who wants to play air/tanks have that and people who only want to play air have that. For me it's best solution 

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

27 minutes ago, Mr_Dumplin_Popo said:

But making another mode would be good for everyone, ppl like me who only wants to play tanks in tanks battles would have that. People who wants to play air/tanks have that and people who only want to play air have that. For me it's best solution 

Amen to that brother, just give everyone the freedom to choose.

In 'Tank Realistic Battles' there are times when I'm happy shooting down aircraft and there are times when I don't want to be constantly harassed from above. Arguments the about the balancing of weapons or the tweaking of BR or the adjustment of the level of SL rewards completely miss the point. There are simply times when some people (myself included) just want the option of a tank vs tank game.

I've read the arguments against but is it really such a problem? Is it really too much to ask for? A 'Ground Only' button would be a simple thing for Gaijin to implement and IMHO everyone would benefit...

• Like 5
medal medal

2 minutes ago, *esio_trot said:

I've read the arguments against but is it really such a problem? Is it really too much to ask for? A 'Ground Only' button would be a simple thing for Gaijin to implement and IMHO everyone would benefit...

Ppl like @warrior412 are afraid that they will lose easy frags on tankers ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mr_Dumplin_Popo said:

And I’m worried about consequences of a playerbase split (longer queues in both and more importantly Gaijin’s reaction to longer queues which has classically been raise BR spread or shrink maps, which nobody wants).

So the other mode might indeed be good, but only if we could avoid the consequences from the higher-ups, or if we could choose what “compensation” has to occur to bring queues down to sane amounts again.

Do you understand what I’m worried about? I’m worried about having:

- small games (possibly on giant maps)

- maps shrinking even more to compensate for small teams

- lots of bots to fill out maps (they’d be easy kills but also give away great positions for things lacking good armor, and possibly even aimbot players across the map that few human players can accomplish)

- or BR spread increasing more to cut down queue times.

Which of these would you realistically choose if given the choice?

Edited by MH4UAstragon

Or it can be made as an event like SB is with predetermined lineups so at least not much worries about MM.

• Confused 1
medal medal medal medal

6 hours ago, Mr_Dumplin_Popo said:

That is only your opinion not a fact ;)

It is a fact, not an opinion, that we've seen little support for TO.

This is likely due to satisfaction with things as they are.

Edited by warrior412

P8triot (Posted )

When you use words such as 'likely' it is not fact. You are engaging in conjecture which by its very nature is subjective and not factually based...just saying
  • Upvote 1

As said, I fear more that if nothing is donee to solve this situation either by adjusting RB GF properly or giving the Tank only players an dedicated mode that this Year might be the first Year ever that we see WT GF losing players in substantial amounts.

Due to in the first time of WT games coming out, which are "Matter of fact" giving more options towards tankers "multi crew tanks, photo realistic graphics and additional player Infantry.

If that happens it will be much worse for Que times than an split could ever have. Cause if those players are gone, the chances they might come back are more than slim which would basically lead to longer Que times due lack of players with MH4UAstragon predicted implications from Developer side as additional an reducing in revenue which might be even worse than the first.

Therefor it is time to do something at all and go towards the players or lose em in the med/long term to said games.

Just google for something like TOP 10 New WAR Games 2018 - World War 1, WW 2 & Modern War Games for 2018 and look at some of the games that pop up. Some of those look like an mix outta War Thunder Cinematic, BF like number of players on map, ARMA Squad like gameplay and DCS reality approach. 

And then we have WT with the wishes and suggestions of the playerbase, polls indicating the community wants certain changes and the lack of response from the companies side.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, warrior412 said:

Haha, nope.

It's easier to kill people with tanks than planes. So anyone who is so unaware that they die to aircraft would just be even more easily killed in Tanks Only.

Nice joke :D

28 minutes ago, warrior412 said:

It is a fact, not an opinion, that we've seen little support for TO.

This is likely due to satisfaction with things as they are.

Opinion

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 4

On 21.1.2018 at 1:33 PM, NO_DRAGON said:

The simple reason I used an recently given advice and hovered over his nick and set his Posts on Ignore

Unbenannt.JPG.3fb3e875ffe8029914d2773ce6

Someone didn't get why I never address him directly anymore. 

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

If someone argues with what another is saying it automatically becomes an opinion as facts cannot be contested (unless someone is trolling). Anyways I remember when people were so sure rockets wouldn't get nerfed and they were convinced devs didn't care about nerfing them as it would kill the game, then look what happened. B

Edited by LandKreuzer_89
  • Like 8
medal medal

Okay, first off no need for pointless bickering the whole point of this forum and indeed this topic is to discuss politely and with mutual respect for those against and for new ideas nothing else!

Now War Thunder has always been a combined battles game not a tank game, just like Naval Battles in RB will be Air and Sea, hell they might even come out with some twisted mode that involves Air, Ground and Sea! War Thunder also started as an Air only game, tanks came later (You'll forgive me for not remembering the specific update).

I have both been on the receiving and giving end of drawing out a match with air, the difference being I don't run away from the battle and just because the last guy is in a plane doesn't mean the game is over if they can still get kills then the game is still on!

I get why some of you like the thought of a tank only mode and I wouldn't necessarily say I'm against it but I don't see it proving popular, the only thing I see it doing effectively is causing a massive rift in the player-base which is something we don't need more of! A realistic battle would give the player the ability to bring an aircraft if they wished, the current spawn system helps to control the level of air involvement. I do agree that more weather options would be great including ones that would make it difficult to fly, but this is a massive dev task and it would kill the playerbase again because that would require a computer that could normally run at at least medium graphics (to note you would have to drop your graphics settings if your barely scraping by on fps). 

But Tank only mode for me has to be a no I don't see any reason why we need it if people want to play without planes hit up arcade mode, if you want to play a realistic game mode then play tank RB where as would be possible in a real life combat situation their is the constant threat of an air element. (Also why you have a MG turret on some tanks great for dealing with those planes if ya don't then just bide your time and make that main gun shot!)

• Thanks 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

7 minutes ago, Mr_Dumplin_Popo said:

I can't understand one thing, if you don't see it popular why you think it will cause a massive rift ?

Because the small amount of people moving over would cause a massive gap in players in queue for pre-existing game modes meaning eventually gaijin would most likely scrap the mode what do you think will happen to those people who lose their game mode.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Just now, Resolute_Phoenix said:

Because the small amount of people moving over would cause a massive gap in players in queue for pre-existing game modes meaning eventually gaijin would most likely scrap the mode what do you think will happen to those people who lose their game mode.

small amount and massive gap doesn't fit my friend

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Resolute_Phoenix said:

(You'll forgive me for not remembering the specific update).

War Thunder Update 1.41

May 15, 2014  

Main Changes:

• Ground forces are now available for all players in open beta test

Weather effect we had at some point in GF

but it was removed due complains from (not Tankers).

Bu

Edited by NO_DRAGON

2 minutes ago, warrior412 said:

Ah, but it does.

TO being implemented and failing would likely ruin GFs overall for reasons already specifed.

Tank fanatics are really barking up the wrong tree.

I think it wouldn't fail ;). And it's my opinion, as yours with "fail" 

28 minutes ago, warrior412 said:

The people threatening decompression are people foolishly calling for new, unwanted modes and other things.

The community wants decompression and Gaijin has moved in that direction but has been attacked for doing so by efforts like this that stop progress.

No people are "threatening decompression" ... what are you on about? It's a commonly wanted feature from the war thunder community. Gaijin hasn't moved towards decompression, but in fact have been going the opposite direction. The introduction of tier 6 only made it worse.

I didn't need two long sentences of nonsense, it's simply yes/no question. Why are you avoiding it?

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

To clear some misconceptions up.

Lead indicator for RB AAA will never come. Markers where removed for technical reasons.

As far as I was told.

Gaijin isn't a small company.

80 Developers are in Gaijins pay to exclusively work on WT + external workers which make this number estimated 400.

https://warthunder.com/en/news/3275/current#20

20. How many people at Gaijin are working at the direct development of War Thunder?

snail_w.pngAnton: "Around 80, not counting people making 3d modelling, textures etc.As we do some outsourcing there, it's hard to tell how many people that would be in total, potentially up to 400."

Edited by NO_DRAGON
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, Rclz said:

Personally, I don't have anything against mixed battles. Playing mostly 3.3-3.7 with occasional 5.3/5.7, I hardly ever get killed by planes.

The problem is, when rockets finally become strong again there will be no balance whatsoever. On one side we will have UK and USA with their Griffon Spitfires, P-47s Wyverns, AD-2s and AD-4s that will be able to kill the enemy team twice and probably still have some rockets left. On the other side, we will have Germany, Italy and Japan that can get ... one, two kills per flight?

CAS was only overpowered before because it was so easy to get and there were so many. 

And since points from air are so easy to get, you could spawn again and again. 

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

42 minutes ago, NO_DRAGON said:

To clear some misconceptions up.

Lead indicator for RB AAA will never come. Markers where removed for technical reasons.

As far as I was told.

Gaijin isn't a small company.

80 Developers are in Gaijins pay to exclusively work on WT + external workers which make this number estimated 400.

https://warthunder.com/en/news/3275/current#20

20. How many people at Gaijin are working at the direct development of War Thunder?

snail_w.pngAnton: "Around 80, not counting people making 3d modelling, textures etc.As we do some outsourcing there, it's hard to tell how many people that would be in total, potentially up to 400."

Well, perhaps they could outsource a little more to the players that are skilled using the CDK and task them with making new maps that players would want. 

And the indicator is in Arcade so really how hard would it be to just have only the indicator and no 3D enemy plane marker unless you’re in a radar-equipped enemy plane?

I see no other practical way to make the average joe player actually reasonably good at using AA for more than rushing caps and killing light tanks.

28 minutes ago, DaffanZ said:

CAS was only overpowered before because it was so easy to get and there were so many. 

And since points from air are so easy to get, you could spawn again and again. 

And you see, I’d prefer to see point gains, economy gains, and scoreboard point gains to be scaled up to parity with planes. 

Rockets need a fix, missing types need to be added, and HEAT/HESH spalling needs a significant increase. Plus HESH needs a serious pen correction - having no apparent slope modifier at all til the magic number of 60 degrees is completely bogus.

1 minute ago, warrior412 said:

It does.

People pushing for Tanks Only are people cheering for worse MM.

Apparently Tanks Only is what they want even if it's Tiger H1 versus T-54 or something like that.

No, you still don't get that people who want TO are a majority and it's a fact due to survey that i have shown you. You are basing on your own opinion, i'm basing on stats ;) 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Mr_Dumplin_Popo said:

So what with your opinion ? It's even smaller cause you are one and ppl who answered a survey were more than 300 hundred. So your opinion (coming with your logic) is meaningless ;)

I'm simply telling you what the silent majority says. 

The vast majority supports RB GFs. They're too busy enjoying the game to take part in a silly poll made up by the outliers.

P8triot (Posted )

If a majority is 'silent' how can you know what they 'say'? just saying...
  • Confused 3
  • Upvote 1