SilkMonger

Can we get a ground only mode?

They closed the thread where people were complaining about CAS being overpowered.  It is obvious the developers do not want to move on that topic, but not every battle in the war had tanks and airplanes.  The entire start to the "Battle of the Bulge" had no air at all, due to dense low cloud cover, just as one example.

I don't ask that anything be changed about the current "tank battle", beyond renaming it "combined arms battle", and adding another tank battle mode that does not have airplanes.  If, as the pilots tell us, this is not a fun mode of play, then it will quickly die from lack of interest.  If, however, it does have lots of interest, then maybe this game will keep more active players, as not everyone wants to be a pilot.  There are actual players that only want to drive tanks, believe it or not.

I think the only objection to this will be that tankers will largely desert the current realistic tank battles in favor of tanking without airplanes.  I see this as something that is actually likely, in that tankers are frequently disappointed when too many of either side takes to the air and ruins the game.   (Successful planes on the enemy side mean your side gets slaughtered.  Successful planes on your side mean the other team is blown away and there are no more targets, except there's always someone hiding somewhere, so everyone winds up just waiting for the round to end.  Crap pilots on the other side mean there are suddenly no more ground targets, and your side winds up waiting for the game to end again, only if one of the enemy goes afk, his plane can keep the round going for quite a while, while everyone waits again.  Lastly, if your team takes to the air and leaves you on the ground, and they aren't brilliant at killing tanks/planes, you quickly find you cannot cap anything, and are outnumbered 2 or 3 to 1 no matter where you go, and then you're spawncamped.  This is the worst and most likely to occur when there is only one zone to capture, in that the advantaged team will nearly always have at least someone go and spawncamp the enemy, then the rest of the tanks need to either follow the camper to the spawn or just sit and wait for someone on the other side to kill the camper.

Can we give this a shot?  If it does empty the tankers out of the combined arms battle, it could always be adjusted in some way to entice tankers to come back to it.  Also, events could be set up where tanker skill could actually be good for getting the tanks.  (Pilot skill is currently the more useful in events for getting both tanks and planes, with tanking skill not being anywhere near as rewarded)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 3
  • Upvote 64
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Honestly, they should allow more weather options. But as far as I can tell, rain such are only cosmetic, and it would be lame to only have cosmetic weather. I'd love to see things sliding about, or getting stuck in mud. I'd love to see dense cloud cover making it very hard to see in planes, I'd love to see rain screwing with how planes fly. But that'd be a lot of work, and I can't blame Gaijin for not doing it. I'd much rather have scenarios that don't suit planes than another game mode to further split the player-base.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 6
medal

3 hours ago, SilkMonger said:

They closed the thread where people were complaining about CAS being overpowered.  It is obvious the developers do not want to move on that topic

Actually, that topic was primarily about the old rockets, and it was closed after they were nerfed. It also got pretty out of hands at times, as the two sides of the argument are so incredibly polarised against each other, unlike with most of the rest of this game's issues.

Personally, I like the idea of a ground forces only mode, though I'd probably never play it, but I don't think we currently have the numbers for it. Combined arms is one of this game's main features, and its pulled it off far better than many of the others who have tried to do something similar (True combined arms, not aircraft as power ups). This gives the game a very exclusive attraction and playerbase, in the same way air RB's simcade handling and functions do. As such, removing it would be a bad business move, and adding a new mode would stretch what players we have even further - it would really be pushing the limit. First we have to fix a ton of BRs, probably edit that system a little, and do other things that will bring and keep new players without thinning out the playerbase. Then we can look at a tanks only mode.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal

I think he clearly conveyed what GAIJIN SAID! Why are you so mad? I too personally do not like nor support a tank only GF mode. On the other hand a HLQ only mode... o_o

Edited by PliciPlici
  • Thanks 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

9 hours ago, SilkMonger said:

They closed the thread where people were complaining about CAS being overpowered.  It is obvious the developers do not want to move on that topic, but not every battle in the war had tanks and airplanes.  The entire start to the "Battle of the Bulge" had no air at all, due to dense low cloud cover, just as one example.

I don't ask that anything be changed about the current "tank battle", beyond renaming it "combined arms battle", and adding another tank battle mode that does not have airplanes.  If, as the pilots tell us, this is not a fun mode of play, then it will quickly die from lack of interest.  If, however, it does have lots of interest, then maybe this game will keep more active players, as not everyone wants to be a pilot.  There are actual players that only want to drive tanks, believe it or not.

I think the only objection to this will be that tankers will largely desert the current realistic tank battles in favor of tanking without airplanes.  I see this as something that is actually likely, in that tankers are frequently disappointed when too many of either side takes to the air and ruins the game.   (Successful planes on the enemy side mean your side gets slaughtered.  Successful planes on your side mean the other team is blown away and there are no more targets, except there's always someone hiding somewhere, so everyone winds up just waiting for the round to end.  Crap pilots on the other side mean there are suddenly no more ground targets, and your side winds up waiting for the game to end again, only if one of the enemy goes afk, his plane can keep the round going for quite a while, while everyone waits again.  Lastly, if your team takes to the air and leaves you on the ground, and they aren't brilliant at killing tanks/planes, you quickly find you cannot cap anything, and are outnumbered 2 or 3 to 1 no matter where you go, and then you're spawncamped.  This is the worst and most likely to occur when there is only one zone to capture, in that the advantaged team will nearly always have at least someone go and spawncamp the enemy, then the rest of the tanks need to either follow the camper to the spawn or just sit and wait for someone on the other side to kill the camper.

Can we give this a shot?  If it does empty the tankers out of the combined arms battle, it could always be adjusted in some way to entice tankers to come back to it.  Also, events could be set up where tanker skill could actually be good for getting the tanks.  (Pilot skill is currently the more useful in events for getting both tanks and planes, with tanking skill not being anywhere near as rewarded)

SilkMonger, can I ask what nation(s) you are playing?

medal

What’s aiding the whole CAS, is the hit detection. When I get killed by a plane, 9 out of 10, it’s from a player I just took out in his tank. 

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 15
medal

48 minutes ago, warrior412 said:

Considering the arcade origins of those types, it's not at all hard to believe.

Actually it is because largest WT community is arcade one. AB has more players than RB and SB combined.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 3
medal medal medal medal

I find it comical that someone would argue about development time for this topic!  I have programmed computers.  I would imagine that disallowing aircraft spawn would be trivial.  Adding a new menu item is likely trivial as well.  Beyond those two things, a ground-only mode isn't something that requires any development.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 21

Another problem

Ground Force realistic battle should put tanks on first priority, when tank battle is over match must end.

Current state: When tanks already won match but there is enemy planes/jets keep flying farming points out of tank battlefield even they don't have a tank to spawn again. Letting tank players wait for 1 plane in ground force battle. it's not like me chanting remove plane from tank battle.

War Thunder Screenshot 2018.01.04 - 15.01.35.43.png

War Thunder Screenshot 2018.01.04 - 15.02.44.15.png

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 16

1 minute ago, Shinuki said:

Another problem

Ground Force realistic battle should put tanks on first priority, when tank battle is over match must end.

Current state: When tanks already won match but there is enemy planes/jets keep flying farming points out of tank battlefield even they don't have a tank to spawn again. Letting tank players wait for 1 plane in ground force battle. it's not like me chanting remove plane from tank battle.

War Thunder Screenshot 2018.01.04 - 15.01.35.43.png

War Thunder Screenshot 2018.01.04 - 15.02.44.15.png

You're typing about changing the current "ground battle" which should be called "Combined arms", in that it isn't entirely on the ground.  I'm typing about adding a 3rd mode of fighting that is just ground units, which wouldn't take any real programming expertise, and could be ready in a day's notice.

I should have said we need this for realistic and sim battles.  Arcade already limits the effect of aircraft.  I've never seen an arcade battle with more than half the players of one side in the air.  I have seen far too many realistic battles go that way, and not one of them been any fun after it went to the air.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

1 minute ago, SilkMonger said:

You're typing about changing the current "ground battle" which should be called "Combined arms", in that it isn't entirely on the ground.  I'm typing about adding a 3rd mode of fighting that is just ground units, which wouldn't take any real programming expertise, and could be ready in a day's notice.

That's why i am here, your opinion is in my favor. I am happy to play only ground unit battle mode without planes and SPAA.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 7

17 minutes ago, SilkMonger said:

I find it comical that someone would argue about development time for this topic!  I have programmed computers.  I would imagine that disallowing aircraft spawn would be trivial.  Adding a new menu item is likely trivial as well.  Beyond those two things, a ground-only mode isn't something that requires any development.

Highly doubtful.

Balance changes would be necessitated by the change in vehicle options--do you want to imagine how long that'd take?

P8triot (Posted )

If tanks are balanced, then how would removing planes suddenly make them some how unbalanced? 1.1.2. Start or participate in flame wars, intentionally derail a topic, or post useless spam messages in moderated areas. Included in other warning
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 8
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal

5 hours ago, warrior412 said:

I'm just breaking the bad news to people.

Gaijin has already said no and Battle Royale confirmed the lack of interest.

Tanks only is not coming because nobody wants it. People should stop beating this dead horse and stop asking about it.

Wow.  You just keep beating that drum!  I should think the fact that people keep posting despite your continued reply that they said "no" would mean that there were people interested. 

I (for one) don't know about this "Battle Royale" you're typing about, so I don't see how that proved anything.

If people keep asking for something, despite having been told "no" at some earlier point, it means they still want it.

Just now, warrior412 said:

Highly doubtful.

Balance changes would be necessitated by the change in vehicle options--do you want to imagine how long that'd take?

What balance changes?  It would be the same as the current realistic or sim "Tank battle" without allowed aircraft spawns.  Maybe, if this or that country was relying on air in the current battle formats, it could require some separate adjustments, but I haven't seen anyone claiming this or that country had to go to the air or they would lose.  Are you making that claim now?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 12

I always dreamed to play wt so tank mode that good that the author of the topic thinks the same and most of the tankers as well.

why not put this mode on the ground vehicles in test for a period to see the acceptance.

I hate to start a match and see that some of my team or opponents start with spaa milk truck or another for then it kills and give attack respaw and very annoying.

For me it would be to have a mixed mode airplane and tank and a tank only mode, would solve the dissatisfaction of most tankers.

Another thing also for those who throw planes of attack and bomber to do missions specified for these aircraft has departure that you start has no bases nor grounds to destroy.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, warrior412 said:

Tanks only is not coming because nobody wants it. People should stop beating this dead horse and stop asking about it.

When you say nobody wants it, you're wrong. the right say is no "pilot" wants that!

I'm tanker and I want this!

The trend is that, see the success that is WOT, AWF (that is comming to PS4 in soon),  Games that do not evolve are outdated.

Edited by *Fara420
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 14

I can never understand ppl like @warrior412 who thinks that they are right and we are "the wrong" ones. What's wrong with tank RB ? Cause this is how this mode is called in game and you can't doubt it. The wrong thing is that people who only want to play tanks can't do that, and they can see that if they were pilots they could do that from the very beggining. That's where frustration cames. I could read some "cryings" of pilots about rocket nerf, but that was what i was expecting from gaijin to do. I have wrote about this nerf even before gaijin made a decision. I would like to see how many % of players are the air ones at this moment. I would like to see gaijin adding new game mode where you can only play a tank and see how many would stay on "combined" one. Gaijin nerfed bombs, then comes rockets, in near future airplanes won't be the same as they are, and that will be only the fault of players like @warrior412 who can't understand that they are not majority ;).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 6

10 minutes ago, Mr_Dumplin_Popo said:

I can never understand ppl like @warrior412 who thinks that they are right and we are "the wrong" ones. What's wrong with tank RB ? Cause this is how this mode is called in game and you can't doubt it. The wrong thing is that people who only want to play tanks can't do that, and they can see that if they were pilots they could do that from the very beggining. That's where frustration cames. I could read some "cryings" of pilots about rocket nerf, but that was what i was expecting from gaijin to do. I have wrote about this nerf even before gaijin made a decision. I would like to see how many % of players are the air ones at this moment. I would like to see gaijin adding new game mode where you can only play a tank and see how many would stay on "combined" one. Gaijin nerfed bombs, then comes rockets, in near future airplanes won't be the same as they are, and that will be only the fault of players like @warrior412 who can't understand that they are not majority ;).

Exactly. And now people like warrior412 gonna eat you alive... :D

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
medal medal medal

I am mainly a tanker but i am not at all interested in a tank only mode. I like combined arms. Makes the match more challenging. But hey if it shuts up the 1 percent. By all means add it in.:D

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

I found an interesting article:
http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/articles/tactics/tank-busting-ww2.php

I am not arguing that tankbusting wasn't effective, though.  I'm arguing that tankers need a game mode where tanking skill is the key to victory.  As the current situation stands, those with the better pilot skills are given more control over tank RB and SB modes, and piloting skill is key to getting both tanks and planes in the events.  Having an additional mode without air spawns would enable tankers to at least earn the event tanks without having to learn to pilot. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 4

P8triot
P8triot gave warrior412 a warning for this post
Reason: Rule Breaking Warning · Points: 1 ·
6 hours ago, Mr_Dumplin_Popo said:

I can never understand ppl like @warrior412 who thinks that they are right and we are "the wrong" ones. What's wrong with tank RB ? Cause this is how this mode is called in game and you can't doubt it. The wrong thing is that people who only want to play tanks can't do that, and they can see that if they were pilots they could do that from the very beggining. That's where frustration cames. I could read some "cryings" of pilots about rocket nerf, but that was what i was expecting from gaijin to do. I have wrote about this nerf even before gaijin made a decision. I would like to see how many % of players are the air ones at this moment. I would like to see gaijin adding new game mode where you can only play a tank and see how many would stay on "combined" one.

The majority thoroughly enjoy combined arms battles and I am one of them. Tanks only would be a leap backwards and a betrayal of War Thunder's pride, which is why Gaijin doesn't bother with it. They know no one wants it because so few people have said it. It's time people give up on Tanks Only, it just isn't coming.

Bear in mind, I would love to have Tanks Only. It'd be a place for all the players who lack the ability to survive in Combined to go, leaving more capable teams in Combined.

6 hours ago, Mr_Dumplin_Popo said:

Gaijin nerfed bombs, then comes rockets, in near future airplanes won't be the same as they are, and that will be only the fault of players like @warrior412 who can't understand that they are not majority ;)

Players like myself are the majority and just so you know, bombs and rockets will be fixed. People are tired of aircraft being saddled with underperforming bombs and rockets. It's ridiculous that pilots continually have to work with artificially worsened materials just because others are too lazy to play their vehicles right.

Bombs and rockets will soon be working properly and it will be far fiercer for tankers. Remember, pilots have been honing their skills. It'll be a bloodbath for the unprepared, so tankers had best learn how to survive air opposition.

6 hours ago, *tibino1212 said:

Exactly. And now people like warrior412 gonna eat you alive... :D

More like chuckle and snicker as you guys see your hopes dashed (again).

What makes you think the developers will care that a half dozen guys want a mode?

P8triot (Posted )

1.1.2. Start or participate in flame wars, intentionally derail a topic, or post useless spam messages in moderated areas. 1.1.23. Any post judged to be "insulting and/or inflammatory by deed or intention" by the Gaijin Staff and administrators. Spamming and trolling (this category includes): 1.1.25. Excessively communicating the same phrase, similar phrases, or pure gibberish. RULE BREAK WARNING
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 5

If they don't give us the damn ground only mode, i'd like to ask for our missing MG's in the german tree. It's not so much fun when the other team is camping in their planes while you cant even shoot back.

• Like 2

warrior412: You just presented the same argument again, and again without anything behind it but "gaijin says".  Gaijin isn't so likely to do anything without us asking for it, so I plan to keep asking.  The big thing is, if your argument is true, WHY DO YOU KEEP MAKING IT?  You're just trying to discourage people from pressuring gaijin, presumably because you like things the way they currently are.

We still want change, and we plan to keep asking for it.  Unless you have something new to add, why keep typing?

8 minutes ago, warrior412 said:

Right...

I'd love to see tanks only myself; it'd likely improve team quality in combined by ridding the mode of many lacking in ability. Again though, it's not happening.

I'm going to call that a lie.  If you wanted tanks only, then you could join us in asking for it, rather than trying to keep people from trying to change gaijin's stance on this.

Edited by SilkMonger
moved my comment
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, SilkMonger said:

warrior412: You just presented the same argument again, and again without anything behind it but "gaijin says".  Gaijin isn't so likely to do anything without us asking for it, so I plan to keep asking.  The big thing is, if your argument is true, WHY DO YOU KEEP MAKING IT?  You're just trying to discourage people from pressuring gaijin, presumably because you like things the way they currently are.

We still want change, and we plan to keep asking for it.  Unless you have something new to add, why keep typing?

The majority enjoys things as they are and it'd be wholly unjust for development time to be diverted to appease such a tiny minority as your own.

Battle Royale already explored the concept you propose (a mode without aircraft) and it proved to be such a dismal failure that you--someone looking for such a mode--never saw it.

The big question is: what makes the few people who want tanks only so special as to be entitled to a mode of their own?

Edited by warrior412

P8triot (Posted )

Presenting opinion as fact and ignoring the repeated attempts by the OP to steer the discussion back on topic at this point. 1.1.2. Start or participate in flame wars, intentionally derail a topic, or post useless spam messages in moderated areas. Included in other warning
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 5

"The majority enjoys things as they are" is another statement based solely on your opinion. 

There isn't significant "development time" required to add another menu item, nor is there significant development time required to disallow the spawn of aircraft.  That argument goes nowhere.  Ask a programmer.

"Battle Royale"?  When was this?  How long was it available?  If there has already been tanks-only mode, then I'm thinking it's zero development needed to pop that back in.  Maybe that was set up as some event?  Lots of players don't really look at events.  I'm typically not even watching the videos to see what's next.  I try to use my time playing the game.  Let's try putting the tank only mode in the regular menu and see if it gets any love.

I'm thinking the majority of players don't use the forums.  If you go through and count the people that respond favorably and those that respond unfavorably to a tank only mode suggestion, I'm betting there are more favorable.  I have only your word that it's "the few people that want tanks only", and sorry, but I don't trust your word there.  (Even when you claim to want that, too!)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, warrior412 said:

The original unveiling, there were other times too. It was a game mode that, among other things, eliminated aircraft from the equation. This obviously set it apart from every other mode we currently have.

Last I heard, its final instance had so few players that queue times were ridiculous (far longer than 10 minutes). I don't think it's ever been seen since.

And how "Battle Royale" has anything to do with what OP is asking apart no planes? This is quote from that link:

There are no teams here, there are no partnerships, in this battle,  everyone is responsible only for themselves.
The new event "Battle Royal" will identify the warrior that understands these rules better than anyone else.

If I understand correctly OP wants normal game without planes not single deathmatch battle. Maybe single deathmatch is the reason "Battle Royale" didn't lived.

Edited by KH_Alan
  • Upvote 3
medal medal medal medal