Another of my bug reports taken into account!

No excuse not to grind French tanks now!

I updated my review accordingly to reflect recent changes in French tanks (most resulting from bug reports I wrote)

Edited by No_Camping
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Would you say the Surbaisse is still worth playing? I got sort of discouraged when they moved it up to 8.0 and figured I'd stop at the AMX-50 and the Foch

medal medal

On 03/06/2018 at 03:31, Slipslime said:

Would you say the Surbaisse is still worth playing? I got sort of discouraged when they moved it up to 8.0 and figured I'd stop at the AMX-50 and the Foch 

Are you serious? The AMX-50 Surbaissé is simply the best 8.0 tank of all nations. Would you rather be in a T-62?
Every 6s (whatever is your crew advancement) you fire a M103 shell (the most deadly shell at this BR; M103's reload time is 15s with ace crew)... Enough said? :curious:
Here is or I would rank the BR 8.0 MBT in AB (I have several hundreds of games in all of them)
1/ AMX-50 Surbaissé
2/ T-95E1
3/ Chieftain Mk.3
4/ T-62
Of course, the Maus at BR 8.0 is special (I have almost 600 battles in it) and cannot be compared in terms of gameplay; I would still put it ahead of the T-62 in terms of in-battle performance.

Now if you also consider second and third tank for an AB line-up, the Russian line-up would be probably the best as the most balanced and versatile: Russia, France, US, UK, Germany would be my ranking.

EDIT: with its new reload time, the T-62 is now at par with the T-95E and even a bit better thanks to the stabilizer. The addition of the IS-7 and the recent BR decompression at high BR make the Russian line-up at BR 8.0-8.3 even better, as if it needed some more bias...

Edited by No_Camping
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, No_Camping said:

Are you serious? The AMX-50 Surbaissé is simply the best 8.0 tank of all nations; Would you rather be in a T-62?
Every 6s you fire a M103 shell (M103 reload is 16s)... Enough said?

I'm still grinding out the AMX-50, but I thought it ended up being stabilized MBT food most of the time? I suppose the previous tanks have taught me to not get hit ever in a French tank though

medal medal

On 03/06/2018 at 03:38, Slipslime said:

I'm still grinding out the AMX-50, but I thought it ended up being stabilized MBT food most of the time? I suppose the previous tanks have taught me to not get hit ever in a French tank though 

You have to exploit the high mobility and the great 4s reload time (the result of one of my bug reports) of the AMX-50 and Lorraine 40t.
Here are their stats in AB/RB/SB and you will see that they are doing extremely well (I have nearly a 80% win rate with them)
http://thunderskill.com/en/vehicle/fr_amx_50
http://thunderskill.com/en/vehicle/fr_lorraine_40t

If you are camping against a Centurion at the same BR, you will probably loose. But if you are smart and indeed exploit the strong points of these tanks, you will make a joke of these stabilized MBT, whose stats are way less impressive:
http://thunderskill.com/en/vehicle/uk_centurion_mk_3

As for the AMX-50 Surbaissé, the 6s reload (and the fact that the loader cannot be killed!), its deadly shell (in an autoloader with 19 shots, against only 7 for the AMX-50), and its surprising survivability (so many people do not know how to kill it in 1 shot, wrongly aiming at the hull where no ammo are stored) makes it the only BR 8.0 tank which can actually do something in an uptier at 9.0 (one of my best game with it: 13 kills, including 6 9.0-9.3 enemy tanks, after losing immediately my AMX-30B2!).
Yet, in RB its large profile and reduced mobility makes it a much less effective than in AB (while the AMX-50 and Lorraine 40t are deadly in RB). For some reason (its weight?), the AMX-50 Surbaissé is as mobile as a T-54 in AB, but much less in RB...

Edited by No_Camping
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

Patch 1.79 includes faster reload time for Tier I tanks following and citing the source I provided in my bug report

No more excuse not to grind your French ground forces!

I have recently submitted a bug report for the gunner view of the AMX-30B2, AMX-30B2 Brenus, and AMX-40  (and also for the M1 Abrams and the two Leopard 2). Do not hesitate to support it by your "likes"!

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sign this petition asking the Saumur Museum to save the last Lorraine 155 Automoteur Modèle 1951 (the chronicles event howitzer): a few more votes to reach the 750 votes target!
https://secure.avaaz.org/fr/petition/Musee_des_chars_de_Saumur_Restaurons_le_Lorraine_155_Automoteur_Modele_1951/?aPTunnb&newuser=1#

Edited by No_Camping
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering, do you know of any documents that would permit to bug report that the hull sway of the amx 13 series when stopping to be reduced? As it is in rb, tis quite an ordeal if you aren't ambushing with it.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 07/09/2018 at 18:01, Le_Flemard said:

I was wondering, do you know of any documents that would permit to bug report that the hull sway of the amx 13 series when stopping to be reduced? As it is in rb, tis quite an ordeal if you aren't ambushing with it.

A bug report has been submitted and forwarded to devs (indeed, the in-game bouncy gun is completely irrealistic) ...Let'see. Unfortunately, this has more to do with the game mechanics (gun directed by the mouse + oscillating turret + small, light and fast tank)... and I am a bit pessimistic (also a similar problem on the American M18).
My advice: don't stop (I am not kidding)! For short or even mid-range shots in motion, just release the accelerator while aiming... You'll see that the gun is then reasonably stable.

EDIT: see next message!

Edited by No_Camping
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

There is a strange thing happening for all the AMX-13 (I have all tanks except for some Japanese and I never saw this issue happen on any other tank). By default, you can only carry 15 of the best shell (PCOT-51P), whereas the AMX-13 can carry 36 shells. To eliminate this limit, go in the AMX-13 modification window and click on the PCOT-51P shell in the shell menu, and click on "buy".
See also the technical moderator's last comment on 

When you have bought the PCOT-51P shells (explicitly, despite the fact I have the "buy modifications automatically" option activated), the 15 shells limit disappears, and you now get new PCOT-51P ammo while sitting still on captured caps.

Again, the three AMX-13 are the only tanks for which one needs to explicitly buy the ammo after having unlocked them in the modification window to extend the carrying limit and to be able to refill them on captured caps... and I know this confused a lot of people.

Edited by No_Camping
  • Confused 1

I updated the present review:
- In the BR 2.7-3.3 section, I improved the discussion of the autoloader mechanics and the review of the general properties of the AMX-13 at all BR (giving up one of my tricks to minimize the effect of its bouncy gun!)
- The Char de 25t (Batignolles-Châtillon; "Batchat") is now featured in this review
- The section devoted to the awesome BR 6.0-6.7 line-up has been completely rewritten (it was a bit too messy)
- I added a final short section about French camos

- Minor improvements in all sections

Edited by No_Camping
  • Confused 1

Among the bug reports which were addressed, here is one about which I discussed with its author @Tantor57 (thanks man!)
AMX-13 all - A problem with increased pivoting of the suspension has been fixed.
The AMX-13 series should have a much less wobbly gun, as testified by many videos provided.

In addition, the AMX-40 engine power has been buffed by 200hp and the cheek armor of the AMX-30 has been slightly increased.

Edited by No_Camping
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

You cannot always win in French tanks!

image.png.db58c93c9732eabe2b59890a71c547

But still, you can win often enough!
2018-10-07_175445.thumb.jpg.3a757793b078

Victories       Battles       Win rate

Edited by No_Camping
  • Confused 1

• No_Camping changed the title to A review of French tanks (Updated 6/January/2021)
  • No_Camping changed the title to A review of French tanks (Updated 24/March/2021)