bearchills

Is there really no guide to ammo belts?

I think it's odd that a topic like this doesn't seem to already exist.
Every time I get a new plane and start unlocking things, I always find myself asking random people in game chat what they think are the best belts for that plane. That's how I found out that tracers were actually good in the P-47.
 

There is a pinned thread that mentions different aircraft weapon stats, but it is in French or something, and it also seems like it may be out of date.

It's just weird to me that nobody has compiled a list of the best belts to use depending on what plane you're flying.
I could imagine people saying there are different belts for different purposes, but that doesn't hold much water in my limited experience. 
From what I've seen, there is always a best belt for any plane. Seems that way at least.


Usually I'll stick to air target belts, but that isn't an option for many planes. If they don't have air target ammo, I think I typically go with universal.
But then there are some odd cases like the 20s in P-38s, in which I have found the default belts to be above the others.
Likewise, tracers in the P-47 are awesome, but I have found them lacking in most every other plane I have tried them in.

So, is there any place on this forum where someone has compiled such a list (in English)? Or is it just trial by fire; try 'em all and just pick one?

 

Edited by bearchills
medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, bearchills said:


I could imagine people saying there are different belts for different purposes, but that doesn't hold much water in my limited experience. 
From what I've seen, there is always a best belt for any plane. Seems that way at least.

 

 

Not exactly, While there might be most effective belt for air combat, there are also matter of ground attack, which often requites completely different belts. And then, people have different opinions about tracers. Some like them, and use them to guide their gunfire. Some prefer stealth belts for variety of reasons, and some just don't care. Either way, people are often prepared to sacrifice a bit of raw performance for their preference.

 

Either way. Machine guns mostly rely on kinetic energy, so preference in type of rounds should be AP-I>AP>I/IAI/AI>anything else. Keep in mind that tracer rounds without any other modifier and ball rounds are absolute worst. Cannons rely mostly on explosive power, so HEF-I>HE-I>HEF>FI>rest. Practice rounds are basically same as ball rounds for MGs.

 

The problem here is that precise stats of each round are subject of constant adjustment, and it's often not clear how exactly do they compare. For example, US early .50 cal belts. Ground targets has AP/AP/AP/T, stealth AP/AP/I. It's currently quite clear that it's AP>I>T, but will you prefer 3x best to 1x absolute trash, or 2x best to 1x moderate one? It's currently unclear which belt has better overall damage for air combat.

medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sarin said:

Either way. Machine guns mostly rely on kinetic energy, so preference in type of rounds should be AP-I>AP>I/IAI/AI>anything else. Keep in mind that tracer rounds without any other modifier and ball rounds are absolute worst. Cannons rely mostly on explosive power, so HEF-I>HE-I>HEF>FI>rest. Practice rounds are basically same as ball rounds for MGs.

That is not accurate.

 

There are 4 'types' of damage in WT. Physical, Fire, High explosive, and Fragmentation. Generally High explosive > fragmentation > fire > physical when fighting against other planes(though there are lots of exceptions).

 

In the case of early US M2 belts

 

T, Ball, and AP specializes in physical damage

I specializes in fire damage.

 

Fire > Physical so

I > T/Ball/AP

 

AP always does more physical damage than Ball and T so

I > AP > T/Ball

 

Therefore the best belt is stealth

medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't put fire before impact. The incendiary effects hardly ever reach a module they can affect if not in AP-I round. AP, on the other hand, is very effective in killing pilots and cutting wings...probably too effective sometimes. Most of kills these days are wing breaks.

medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bearchills said:

I think it's odd that a topic like this doesn't seem to already exist.
Every time I get a new plane and start unlocking things, I always find myself asking random people in game chat what they think are the best belts for that plane. That's how I found out that tracers were actually good in the P-47.
 

There is a pinned thread that mentions different aircraft weapon stats, but it is in French or something, and it also seems like it may be out of date.

It's just weird to me that nobody has compiled a list of the best belts to use depending on what plane you're flying.
I could imagine people saying there are different belts for different purposes, but that doesn't hold much water in my limited experience. 
From what I've seen, there is always a best belt for any plane. Seems that way at least.


Usually I'll stick to air target belts, but that isn't an option for many planes. If they don't have air target ammo, I think I typically go with universal.
But then there are some odd cases like the 20s in P-38s, in which I have found the default belts to be above the others.
Likewise, tracers in the P-47 are awesome, but I have found them lacking in most every other plane I have tried them in.

So, is there any place on this forum where someone has compiled such a list (in English)? Or is it just trial by fire; try 'em all and just pick one?

 

4

There is a page on it on the War Thunder wiki; it is https://wiki.warthunder.com/index.php?title=Category:Ammunition#List:_types_and_caliber

Just remember to expand the tables on the MG and cannon comparisons.  Also, tracer ammo is not the best for late-war .50's, the Stealth belts work best for me, but if you need the tracer compound, go for Universal, as it is basically Stealth but with an added API-T round.

medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sarin said:

I wouldn't put fire before impact. The incendiary effects hardly ever reach a module they can affect if not in AP-I round. AP, on the other hand, is very effective in killing pilots and cutting wings...probably too effective sometimes. Most of kills these days are wing breaks.

The effectiveness of I and AI bullets depends what you're shooting at. If you're shooting at a metal plane like the p47 it probably wont do anything but against a biplane they'll easily set them on fire.

 

You can't attribute all wing breaks and pilot snipes to physical damage. It could be fragmentation or high explosive damage.

medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Sarin said:

I wouldn't put fire before impact

I realized I never explained why fire > physical in the post above.

 

So here it goes:

Fire needs to hit a fuel tank(or the oil?) to burn down a plane

Physical needs to hit the pilot or the spars to kill.

 

The volume of fuel tanks in a plane is generally greater than the volume of the pilot and spars. Thus you have a higher chance of hitting something to cause a fire than hitting something to physically destroy a plane.

 

Fires can burn out but it will force them to dive and throttle down. While non-fatal physical damage makes the enemy lose some performance/maneuverability but they can still fight.

medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Murp_ said:

does throttleing down actually help put out fires?

 

EDIT: also whre do APHE round fit into the belt damage list ?>?

Just press "I" to toggle the engine if it is an engine fire so that it shuts off, and negative G to gain airspeed and cut off fuel flow.  I don't know where APHE goes, this is for aircraft ammo.

medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As there are places to discuss ammo belts and now with the addition of @EpicBlitzkrieg87's new guide, I suggest you all take the discussion there. (Link is below)

 

 

 

Cheers

Redirected & Locked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.