French Tiger I "Bretagne"

WiseMinerva

Tiger I "Bretagne"  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see Tiger I "Bretagne" added to the French GF?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How would you like it to be added

• In the tree as standard
    • As a premium
    • Event or gift
    • Don't add it

Salutations everyone,

This is suggestion for the captured Tiger I tank called Bretagne that the French forces used during the closing years of the war. Currently the tank is in the German display at Musée des Blindés. It has been restored and repainted to it's German colours. 

11-102caeda7c1a0d5152b4efd417630e11.jpg.

With the liberation of France having already begun a group of volunteers called the FFI were assisting another group called the  1st GMR led by Captain Besnier. One of the FFI members upon learning that Captain Besnier was a tank officer informed him that he had come from lower Normandy and that the area was still littered with abandoned armour from the retreating germans. Interested in a quick rebuild of an armoured division Besnier asked for permission to retrieve the vehicles from his commanding officer Colonel Chomel, which it was granted. The tiger 1 was repaired by taking parts from another tiger that was found in the area by a father and son who worked as mechanics and was given a geography name "Bretagne".

Between Jan-March of 1945 the 1st GMR gathered up and repaired:

- 1 tank Tiger I (88 mm gun, weight 57 tons, crew 5 men) 
- 1 Tiger II tank (88 mm gun, weight 68 tons, 5 men) 
- 1 tank Panther (75 mm gun, weight 45 tons, 5 men) 
- 11 tanks Panzer IV (75 mm gun, weight 20 tons, 5 men) 
- 1 semi-tracked Panzerwerfer 42 
- 2 semi-tracked tank trailers including one with crane 
- 1 workshop truck with tower and generator 
- 4 trucks and 4 pickups of spare parts. 

Note: that dent in the front was caused when the tank accidentally collided with Martin Schroif's Tiger. It's still there today. When the two tanks hit they couldn't disengage and the 102th SS heavy tank regiment ended up abandoning the tanks.

10-fde34f2bf6032a180800018fdfa8e137.jpg.

Up until the last days of the war Bretagne served with the FFI and the Autonomous Squadron Besnier in fighting the axis forces south of Saint-Nazaire. After the war it was attached to the 6th Cuirassier Regiment as a 2nd squadron in part of Frances occupation forces. The group was stationed in Baumholder, but in October of 1945 it was moved to Morbach. It was during this time that the tank was renamed "Colmar".

In 1946 the group was disbanded.09-473cc1bce946e414a5ec18ccab0f609a.jpg.07-329c6c8be3b853a92b61bd98ee4c71fd.jpg.

While Bretagne was eventually stored at AMX and later placed in a museum Schroif's tiger (that Bretagne accidentally rammed) was not so lucky. It was broken down for parts and scrap, however it is still around today and is serving the public.

About 3km away from where the two tanks hit each other there is a small makeshift bridge made out of what may be the side armour of Schroif's tank.

12-e9164f338408c2f25f0dfc67cbb74692.jpg.

Sources 

http://www.chars-francais.net/2015/index.php/liste-chronologique/de-1940-a-1945?task=view&id=52

http://www.grand-blockhaus.com/index.php/ct-menu-item-13/ct-menu-item-16

http://tankarchives.blogspot.ca/2017/10/exhibit-with-history.html

06-cb9b1ab25bd1d68fe85f49356b93ba6f.jpg

Edited by WiseMinerva
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2
  • Upvote 12
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Must have been a heck of a collision to stick 2 tigers together - nice story - be good to see if as part of a particular unit in the game...

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Captain Besnier's personal tank
he was named at the beginning of his capture the "Bretagne" but later his name changed to "Colmar" on the image the designation "Bretagne" then after "Colmar"

477003Sanstitre1.jpg

medal medal medal medal

It looks cool. I think we should minimise exact copies of other nations' vehicles (especially on the ground) to keep vehicle trees as unique as possible. For that reason, I think it should be some kind of event or gift vehicle rather than in a bundle or available for GE.

Edited by ReachForTheSky
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 1 month later...

I'm really disappointed I never saw this before but I really think this would be an easy premium for the French Tree and allow for a much better time playing through certain BR brackets on the French Tree. 

Keep to the tradition of making the German Tiger Premium for other nations and it will really keep it that special vehicle. 

Edited by KapitanRedDead
  • Confused 1
medal medal medal

1 minute ago, Monguntiacum said:

No, because no.

Also no because BR and SB, only yes if only for AB and as Premium-Event-Mission-Gift

There are enough french tanks which should be first in game, before used german tanks they found/gather after the US and Brits did the Job. ;-)

Well then that would be your opinion and all we need is enough people claiming they might buy this vehicle for it to be possible in-game. 

This vehicle can be an easy french tree addition that has somewhat historical relevance and also help with the growth of the game by being able to promote the popularity of The French.  

I am just clearly stating what I find to be true and if you just plainly don't like this vehicle and refuse how easily it can be added then I have no idea what to say.  

medal medal medal

I m no fan of that captured tank as premium nonsens, i think the T34, Kv2 and Churchill should not be in german tree as premium.

If captured tanks should be part of a factions tree, only if they 're modified, like Kv1 with 7,5cm gun Premium in german tree. Or that funny tank: Infanterie PzKpfw MK II 748(e) “Oswald”

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/nazi_germany/infanterie-pzkpfw-mk-ii-748e-oswald/

Or if the vehicles of the nation would not get into game, like tanks/vehicles of Netherlands and Austria in german Wehrmacht.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M39_Pantserwagen

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADGZ

Edited by Monguntiacum
medal medal medal

On 2/26/2018 at 6:09 PM, Monguntiacum said:

I m no fan of that captured tank as premium nonsens, i think the T34, Kv2 and Churchill should not be in german tree as premium.

If captured tanks should be part of a factions tree, only if they 're modified, like Kv1 with 7,5cm gun Premium in german tree. Or that funny tank: Infanterie PzKpfw MK II 748(e) “Oswald”

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/nazi_germany/infanterie-pzkpfw-mk-ii-748e-oswald/

Or if the vehicles of the nation would not get into game, like tanks/vehicles of Netherlands and Austria in german Wehrmacht.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M39_Pantserwagen

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADGZ

Well then that would be your opinion but again I really don't get how not making this a vehicle in the French Tree ,when it's captured German tank that was historic, is smart over helping the growth of the tree by promoting sales towards that nations tree by making it a premium.  

If you rather have other vehicles be made instead of this custom pimp my ride design, that would allow for it to be eye candy for a lot of the people playing on the tree, then all well I guess. 

Edited by KapitanRedDead
medal medal medal

6 hours ago, NokturnalFin said:

Why even have different nations if every nation is going to have the most defining vehicles of all other nations? Absolutely no.

Again this vehicle has history to it.

This vehicle was used by a crew for defense and traveled around with other groups during the war.

It deserves to be brought to life in honor of that simple historical fact and come on my friend this is such an easy remodel of an existing platform that it's a joke. 

We just need to find out the most we can so we can model it properly and if it is a late war Tiger then I would wonder if it was any better or not. Anyways it has it's own history and crew to go with it as well as it's own camo pretty much so I think it's a great way to introduce another French pack which can be as cheap as it can to help towards everyone buying it. 

Edited by KapitanRedDead
medal medal medal

17 minutes ago, SickSix said:

Considering the great background and the fact that Germany gets planes and tanks of everyone else, YES! Definitely add it as premium. But make sure it cannot share cammo or paint that is similar to the German Tigers.

that's don't mean it is good.

medal medal