pieve

Prototypes AMX-56 Leclerc Ares / Leclerc BAYARD (1987)

Prototypes AMX-56 Leclerc (1987)  

479 members have voted

1. 1. do you think we can see the prototype of the AMX-56 Leclerc?

• Yes. I support this Suggestion.
    • No. I dont support this Suggestion
  2. 2. What battle rating would you like to see?

8 hours ago, Nope said:

Didn't Krapke state that the Keiler was a parallel project running with the KPz-70 in a hi-lo mix that would be like F-15 and F-16? It's just that the KPz-70 was gone and all that was left is to focus everything on the only MBT project still running since West Germany desperately needed that composite armor.

watch miles video completly

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

11 hours ago, dotEXCEL said:

It is the very same tank. while we noticed that the KPZ-70 (but we were still bound by that silly contract with the US to not develop a new MBT on our own) was going to fail Helmut Schmidt ordered Porsche to work on improvments of the Leo. Codename of that Project was Keiler. After we dropped out of the KPZ-70 contract the Keiler Project was Renamed into Leopard 2K (internal Bundeswehr name was Kampfpanzer 2000 (MBT 2K)) and changed the name of Leopard to Leopard 1.

It really is the very same tank. Later the Leo 2FK (Flugkörper (ATGM)) and the Leo 2AV were made due to the recommendation of the US which bought one of our Keilers. the result was once again the 2AV. that armour upgrade increased the weight into the 50t+ class (MLC 60)

http://www.panzerpower.de/ger/leo2_geschichte.htm

ah so that's what it is. i was so confused on the difference in the 2K and Keiler on if they were the same tank or if there were just from the same batch of 17 prototype versions that Miles mentioned.

now about that Leo 2FK... what exactly is that with its ATGM? a Keiler with a TOW or euroHOT in place of an rh202? or something closer in development to the Leo 2AV with a jury-rigged ATGM launcher?

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

21 minutes ago, Admiral_Aruon said:

now about that Leo 2FK... what exactly is that with its ATGM? a Keiler with a TOW or euroHOT in place of an rh202? or something closer in development to the Leo 2AV with a jury-rigged ATGM launcher?

replacement of the main armament (Rh120) with a gun/launcher combo. basically a german Kpz-70 cannon. project was scrapped after 1 protoype build

Edited by dotEXCEL

The French army never used the AMX-56 designation, it's a complete fabrication...

Edited by Auto_tracking
medal

4 minutes ago, Auto_tracking said:

The French army never used the AMX-56 designation, it's a complete fabrication...

which was already stated on page 1 and 2 iirc.

2 hours ago, dotEXCEL said:

which was already stated on page 1 and 2 iirc.

So, what the author is waiting for to correct his mistake ?

medal

13 minutes ago, Auto_tracking said:

So, what the author is waiting for to correct his mistake ?

why should he? in the end, gaijin will be responsible in naming the vehiecle. :dntknw:

3 hours ago, dotEXCEL said:

why should he? in the end, gaijin will be responsible in naming the vehiecle. :dntknw:

Then lets name these tanks "Sir Longschlong" and "Captain Pork rinds"... cause the name doesn't actually matter... 

The name is very important, as the Tiger II's actual name was Tiger Ausf. B, but most people wouldn't know what you meant by Tiger B, so they use Tiger II. It's the same with this, they could name them "Leclerc Ares" and "Leclerc Bayard" and, for the most part, people will understand that this is a Leclerc of some kind. 

6 minutes ago, xX_Lord_James_Xx said:

Then lets name these tanks "Sir Longschlong" and "Captain Pork rinds"... cause the name doesn't actually matter... 

The name is very important, as the Tiger II's actual name was Tiger Ausf. B, but most people wouldn't know what you meant by Tiger B, so they use Tiger II. It's the same with this, they could name them "Leclerc Ares" and "Leclerc Bayard" and, for the most part, people will understand that this is a Leclerc of some kind. 

then ask him

5 minutes ago, dotEXCEL said:

then ask him

I was commenting towards you statement, and arguing that names do matter. And I don't expect Pieve to do much considering he only knows as much as your typical Wikipedia warrior. 

16 minutes ago, xX_Lord_James_Xx said:

I was commenting towards you statement, and arguing that names do matter. And I don't expect Pieve to do much considering he only knows as much as your typical Wikipedia warrior. 

Okay, so Dr.manhattan, explain to me what AMX is? and then an example of tank nomenclature :dntknw:

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 12/21/2017 at 1:16 AM, dotEXCEL said:

+1 would be a nice addition to the game at some point, but only with comparable competitors.

Why does it need competitors?

medal medal medal

3 minutes ago, pieve said:

Okay, so Dr.manhattan, explain to me what AMX is? and then an example of tank nomenclature :dntknw:

AMX (as a company) is an abbreviation for Ateliers de construction d'Issy-les-MoulineauX, which means "construction workshops in Issy les Moulineaux". This company made tanks such as the AMX-13, AMX-30, AMX-50, and the AMX-32 and 40 prototypes. HOWEVER, AMX did not construct the Leclerc, GAIT industries (now Nexter) made the Leclerc... so why would a tank receive the name AMX if it wasn't made by the AMX company? And besides, the AMX company cease to exist after ~1980, but the Leclerc was produced in 1991... 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, xX_Lord_James_Xx said:

AMX (as a company) is an abbreviation for Ateliers de construction d'Issy-les-MoulineauX, which means "construction workshops in Issy les Moulineaux". This company made tanks such as the AMX-13, AMX-30, AMX-50, and the AMX-32 and 40 prototypes. HOWEVER, AMX did not construct the Leclerc, GAIT industries (now Nexter) made the Leclerc... so why would a tank receive the name AMX if it wasn't made by the AMX company? And besides, the AMX company cease to exist after ~1980, but the Leclerc was produced in 1991... 

hahahaha are you sure about this? If you're telling me who I am to judge you then.

Just now, pieve said:

hahahaha are you sure about this?

Geee, I was told that by a tank nerd FROM FRANCE... The Leclerc is just called Char Leclerc, why someone placed the AMX-56 in front of it is beyond me. 

3 minutes ago, xX_Lord_James_Xx said:

Geee, I was told that by a tank nerd FROM FRANCE... The Leclerc is just called Char Leclerc, why someone placed the AMX-56 in front of it is beyond me. 

:good:

5 minutes ago, pieve said:

to be fair. he is right tho. iirc AMX didnt even exist anymore at the time the Leclerc was produced. i think it was like this AMX -> GIAT -> Nexter
just change the name of your suggestion so he can be at peace, please

7 minutes ago, dotEXCEL said:

to be fair. he is right tho. iirc AMX didnt even exist anymore at the time the Leclerc was produced. i think it was like this AMX -> GIAT -> Nexter
just change the name of your suggestion so he can be at peace, please

40 minutes ago, xX_Lord_James_Xx said:

It is also called AMX Leclerc or XL

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal

17 minutes ago, Laviduce said:

It is also called AMX Leclerc or XL

See even between French we can't agree^^

Edited by Alzoc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Alzoc said:

See even between French we can't agree^^

doesnt AMX mean Atelier de Construction d'Issy-les-Moulineaux?
in english: Workshop Construction of Issy-les-Moulineaux

16 minutes ago, dotEXCEL said:

doesnt AMX mean Atelier de Construction d'Issy-les-Moulineaux?
in english: Workshop Construction of Issy-les-Moulineaux

It does.

The AMX-APX (atelier de construction de Puteaux) of Satory worked on the EPC project and particularly during the concept phase, as well as many other other entities.

But ultimately the GIAT was responsible for the second phase of the project and was the one assembling it at Roanne (with components being produced at GIAT Saint-Etienne and GIAT Saint-Chamond, Tarbes, Bourges, Toulouse, Tulle).

This is not surprising since the GIAT is the result of the merge of the many arsenal and design bureaux in France.

GIAT literally mean Group of the ground armament industries.

The official names for the Leclerc have always been the EPC during the design phase until 1986 when it's named Leclerc by the current defence minister at the time.

Those are the only official designations and the only one that should be used:

EPC during the design phase and Leclerc after 1986

Edited by Alzoc
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alzoc said:

It does.

The AMX-APX (atelier de construction de Puteaux) of Satory worked on the EPC project and particularly during the concept phase, as well as many other other entities.

But ultimately the GIAT was responsible for the second phase of the project and was the one assembling it at Roanne (with components being produced at GIAT Saint-Etienne and GIAT Saint-Chamond, Tarbes, Bourges, Toulouse, Tulle).

This is not surprising since the GIAT is the result of the merge of the many arsenal and design bureaux in France.

GIAT literally mean Group of the ground armament industries.

The official names for the Leclerc have always been the EPC during the design phase until 1986 when it's named Leclerc by the current defence minister at the time.

Those are the only official designations.

thank you good sir :salute:

Edited by dotEXCEL

26 minutes ago, dotEXCEL said:

thank you good sir :salute:

Well the industrial part of military procurement in France was a mess during this period (in terms of numbers of entities I mean)

Entities being created, separated from each others, evolving into private company, merging with each others etc.

Another prime example of this is DCNS (now Naval Group):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_Group#History

Gives you an idea of why it is complicated and why you should only stick to official names used by the DGA when speaking about French military material.

Edited by Alzoc

1 hour ago, xX_Lord_James_Xx said:

shut up let me drive my auto union r8 and my prince r35 gtr as well as my alfa romeo laferrari

• Haha 1
medal