pieve

Prototypes AMX-56 Leclerc Ares / Leclerc BAYARD (1987)

Prototypes AMX-56 Leclerc (1987)  

474 members have voted

1. 1. do you think we can see the prototype of the AMX-56 Leclerc?

• Yes. I support this Suggestion.
    • No. I dont support this Suggestion
  2. 2. What battle rating would you like to see?

flag-of-france.svg_sm.png

France

Prototypes AMX-56 Leclerc

Leclerc Ares Prototype

nEo6i8m.jpg

First Ares Leclerc 1987 prototype

Since the beginning of the AMX 30 in the late sixties, the question of its successor gave rise to much debate and reflection. The choice of a screened machine was not acquired, other contenders such as the helicopter can be considered as a future weapon system.
In the late seventies, the appearance of the M1 and Leopard II prototypes gave the signal for the launch of the EPC (Main Combat Engine) project, while at the same time AMX developed more classic solutions: AMX-30 B2, AMX-32, AMX-40 , the latter two being more specifically for export.
The French army then had the option of modernizing its armored fleet in the short term with a machine equivalent to contemporary tanks to continue the study of the EPC, jumping a generation and preparing an innovative tank that would have some lengths ahead of its competitors. This is the second choice that was made, the AMX-30 fleet seeing its extended operational life through the upgraded version B2 to ensure the transition.
The EPC had to develop four capabilities to fight a larger enemy, in other words, to deal with the Warsaw Pact's armored forces:

3NMhkUx.jpg

First Ares Leclerc 1987 prototype

wF7FSLo.jpg

- an effective information and command system, from target acquisition to real-time communication with all levels of the chain of command,
- a powerful and precise armament in all circumstances,
- Evolutionary ballistic protection composed of removable composite armor boxes.
- a mobility allowing a rapid deployment, a concentration of the means and a dispersion against the strikes of reprisals.

WLlGruF.jpg

Initial co-operation with Germany was unfortunately not forthcoming, as the two countries had two very distant gears, the AMX-30 B2 and the Leopard II, the priorities in terms of renewal were not compatible.
The studies of various concepts including several variants of armament in superstructure and crew in case finally lead to a conventional configuration machine. Built around the 120mm smoothbore barrel, the EPC took the name LECLERC in 1986.
His crew is limited to three men: tank commander, shooter, pilot. The charger is replaced by an automatic charging system. The removal of a crew member reduces the protected space and to obtain a more compact craft. In addition, handling ammunition of 120mm weighing more than 25 kg no longer allows a sustained rate of fire.
The space thus gained is reflected on the entire structure which allows the machine to gain in compactness. Thus, measuring one meter less than its competitors and with an equivalent tonnage, the LECLERC can benefit from a superior protection.

Ei3f188.jpg

Leclerc BAYARD Prototype

NadVCrb.png

Second prototype Leclerc BAYARD 1988

Leclerc features GIAT's GALIX combat vehicle protection system, which fires a variety of smoke grenades and infrared screening rounds as well as anti-personnel grenades.

The hull and tower are made of welded steel with modular armor, which can easily be replaced for repair or upgraded over the years. In the late 1970s, the French army rejected Chobham's armor as being overly specialized in its optimization to overcome the empty charge - weapons; He therefore chose to develop his own composite arrangement to defeat both the empty charge and sabot rounds. Due to the introduction of modernized threats, vehicles in Lot 3 have a new armor package, including composite armor, titanium insert and ERA blocks on the sides of the turret.

WF5FEqx.png

eAlDiN9.png

5i2hraK.png

069b4f5cfd7fb3cdf26ec726d9df5198.jpgLeclerc_prototype_concept_drawings2.jpg.

Specifications:

Spoiler

Mnyxv4i.jpg

Spoiler

TECHNICAL CHARACTERISTICS
Crew: 3 men
Mass in order in combat:
series P-1: 54.5 Tonnes  P-2<56.5 Tonnes
Military Load Rating: 62
Rated power: 1,500 HP
Power / weight ratio:> 26.5 HP / T
Powertrain: Diesel Hyperbar Wärtsilä SACM V8X or Turbo diesel MTU 883 V12
Transmission: SESM ESM 500 automatic transmission, 5-speed front and 2-speed rear, or RENK HSWL 295 TM automatic transmission, 5-speed front and 3-speed rear
Maximum speed: On the road: 72 km / h - Off-road:> 55 km / h - In reverse: 38 km / h
Acceleration: 0 - 32 km / h in less than 6 s
Fuel capacity: 1,300 liters under shielding (1,700 with external fuel: releasable drums)
Refueling: 8 min.
Maximum driving distance: 550 km with external fuel
GAP: Integrated TURBOMECA Gas Turbine or External Diesel Engine
Length: (chassis without external drums): 6.88 m
Width: (with side protections): 3,71 m
Height: (roof turret): 2.53 m
Vertical Obstacle: Forward: 1.10 m - Reverse: 0.60 m
Ditch: 3 m
Fording: Without preparation: 1 m - With preparation: 1.90 m
Suspension: Oleopneumatic
Main Armament: 120 mm / 52 caliber NATO Standard Cannon, Smooth Core, Stabilized
Initial speed: 1,790 m / s (arrow shell)
Ammunition loading: Fully automatic system in insulated turret neck compartment
Scoring: Electric motorization
Ammunition: 40 ammunition of 120 mm (of which 22 ready to use) with bush and fuse primer - 950 ammunition of 12.7 mm
Observation: Stabilized 360 ° panoramic viewfinder 2 magnifications, laser range finder, day track and thermal camera, stabilized mask firer viewfinder, with thermal imaging camera, laser range finder, day track and video channel
Ballistic Protection: Versatile Modular Multipurpose Shield
Protection system: GALIX 2 x 9 launching pots (smoke, close defense and IR lure)
Air conditioning: Electric drive system in turret or hydraulic drive system housed in the chassis
Radio: 2 radio stations with frequency evasion
Command Support: SIT ICON or FINDERS® / LBMS
Navigation: Inertial navigation

source:

Edited by pieve
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 21
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Open for Discussion.:salute:

• Thanks 2

Wow, now a suggestion for War Thunder from the year I was born in, I feel really old now. Is there detailed information for this on public domain?

Edited by Maki3006
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal

the obligatory french entries to the eventual early 3rd gen tank tier. +1

did the french use any kind of composite alloys on the Ares or Bayard Leclercs? or was it all uniform materials like titanium, air, etc, that would be easy to model in the current state of WT?

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

2 minutes ago, Admiral_Aruon said:

did the french use any kind of composite alloys on the Ares or Bayard Leclercs? or was it all uniform materials like titanium, air, etc, that would be easy to model in the current state of WT?

to my knowledge only:

uniform materials like titanium, air, etc

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, Rohrkrepiererer said:

I.E. Leopard 2AV, XM-1, etc.

similar tanks u say... you know that this is a full stabilized, autoloading 120mm L/52 smoothbore, i think 2AV's and XM1's would be, well, kinda underpowered. you'd have to aim higher

Edited by dotEXCEL
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dotEXCEL said:

similar tanks u say... you know that this is a full stabilized, autoloading 120mm L/52 smoothbore, i think 2AV's and XM1's would be, well, kinda underpowered. you'd have to aim higher

Gaijin's policy on this topic is clear. This vehicle is a prototype, ergo only prototypes will be introduced along with it for the other nations. If you want it that badly, then they will introduce the production Leclerc along with something of roughly equivalent performance (which will be hard to find tbh, the Leclerc has THE most advanced FCS ever to be put into a tank)

• Haha 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Man, people sure are jumping the gun fast with these suggestions. I was hoping to at least see an AMX-40 first before we started hitting stuff about the Leclerc

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

26 minutes ago, Mercedes4321 said:

Man, people sure are jumping the gun fast with these suggestions. I was hoping to at least see an AMX-40 first before we started hitting stuff about the Leclerc

@Mercedes4321 its not wrong suggesting these tanks now, isnt it? it will take gaijin at least 1,5 years till they passed this suggestion to the dev's. besides that, im gonna help @pievewith suggestions like AMX-30B2 Brennus, AMX-32, AMX-40. keep your eyes open, you might see them soon

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dotEXCEL said:

@Mercedes4321 its not wrong suggesting these tanks now, isnt it? it will take gaijin at least 1,5 years till they passed this suggestion to the dev's. besides that, im gonna help @pievewith suggestions like AMX-30B2 Brennus, AMX-32, AMX-40. keep your eyes open, you might see them soon

You can theoretically suggest any tank you want so long as it existed. That doesn't mean I can't then criticize the fact that it is much too advanced for the current state of the game and wonder why you wouldn't wait till it would fit much better to suggest it.

Edited by Mercedes4321
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal

2 minutes ago, Mercedes4321 said:

You can theoretically suggest any tank you want so long as it existed. That doesn't mean I can't then criticize the fact that it is much too advanced for the current state of the game and why you wouldn't wait till it would fit much better to suggest it.

why do ppl always think, that only because you suggest something, it will be added asap and into the current meta  :dntknw: ofc we dont want that

Edited by dotEXCEL

3 minutes ago, dotEXCEL said:

why do ppl always think, that only because you suggest something, it will be added asap and into the current meta  :dntknw: ofc we dont want that

Then why suggest it now instead of later when it would actually be relevant?

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal

2 minutes ago, Mercedes4321 said:

Then why suggest it now instead of later when it would actually be relevant?

have a look when the MBT was suggested and when it was implemented. why not with these tanks tho? if you do the work now or in 3 moths, doesnt mather. and from what i heard is pieve collecting infos about multipal tanks at once and is releasing suggestion when he has enough material collected.

11 hours ago, Maki3006 said:

Is there detailed information for this on public domain?

No, no there is not. This is just another Pieve wishlist tank, complete with inadequate sources and information. 

Voted no. 

SAUBER_KH7 (Posted )

While you are more than welcome to say No to a Suggestion, Insulting other members is not the way to go. Please DO NOT: 1.1.1. Insult any forum members or forum staff. 1.1.2. Start or participate in flame wars, intentionally derail a topic, or post useless spam messages in moderated areas. ---Verbal Warning.
  • Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, xX_Lord_James_Xx said:

No, no there is not. This is just another Pieve wishlist tank, complete with inadequate sources and information. 

Voted no. 

noted... you may leave now, if you dont have any more usefull informations to share, thx.

and we had your ''BUT NO REAL SOURCE'' argument before, in a different suggestion, and the mod aswered it very well:

Spoiler

asdasdasddsdad.JPG

if you dont like these tanks, dont play them. Warthunder will go more and more towards these tanks, cuz lets face it, add-worthy WW2 content will be depleted at some point. be friends with that thought.

Edited by dotEXCEL
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Admiral_Aruon said:

Yes, Ares used a composite alloy only in the tower, but Ares is still a very premature prototype compared to Bayard

5 hours ago, Rohrkrepiererer said:

+1, wouuld be a good addition IF there is enough info out, and IF other nations get similar vehicles to compete. I.E. Leopard 2AV, XM-1, etc.

single prototype in this to compete with Leopard 2AV and XM-1 would be Leclerc Ares because it is still very premature

1 hour ago, xX_Lord_James_Xx said:

Voted no. 

In this case it is your opinion. but who will do the research will not be you, will be members of the gaijin, but if you want to address, it is only you go to Musée des Blindés

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PanzerCell said:

Ask when modern tanks will be released. It would be completely OP in the current game.

I thicked "no".

another one who cant read.

Pls. Read:

6 hours ago, dotEXCEL said:

SAUBER_KH7 (Posted )

Please be a little more kind when asking your fellow members to read something they missed. Please, Do Not: 1.1.1. Insult any forum members or forum staff.

6 hours ago, Rohrkrepiererer said:

The only argument that ever counted in these discussions was your money, and time. And the fact that you still play this game, even though they keep adding newer and more recent stuff into the game tells them they are doing something right. If you really want to make a change, stop playing, stop buying premium time, or GE, and give it some time. It's the only way to make any company change their direction of movement.

The last time I suggested people stop playing the game, I got banned for 3 days or rule breaking... obviously that route is a dead end... 

5 hours ago, dotEXCEL said:

i have enough of your ''NO to every idea'' attitude 

I haven't said no to every idea, just to things I don't want I game, like the Leopard 2 and M1 Abrams, which is totally fine and acceptable. So what if I don't agree with you?

*Removed*

Edited by SAUBER_KH7
Removed Flame War Content.

SAUBER_KH7 (Posted )

It seems you need to re familiarize yourself with our rules: Do Not: 1.1.1. Insult any forum members or forum staff. 1.1.2. Start or participate in flame wars, intentionally derail a topic, or post useless spam messages in moderated areas. ---In regards to your last ban, it was due to this rule: 1.1.7. Encourage other users to stop playing the game, or encourage users to avoid purchasing any content from the store, in order to prove a point.

sabaton_ (Posted )

If you don't agree with someone's comment just ignore, not needed to troll with comments
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, xX_Lord_James_Xx said:

The last time I suggested people stop playing the game, I got banned for 3 days or rule breaking... obviously that route is a dead end... 

Well you're not supposed to tell other people to do that. You just do that yourself and see what happens. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal