Menarrosto

Historical Videos

Hello!

Since the "Istituto LUCE" (the main propaganda instrument of the fascist regime) loaded its archives on the internet, we have access to a lot of very interesting footages and documentaries showing italian aircrafts, tanks and weapons.

Unfortunately the online archive is a bit tricky and only in italian, but the videos are available on YouTube too, so I decided to search for the most interesting ones (related to tanks) and post the links below.

The videos are in italian of course, but don't worry, the most interesting parts are the images.

This post will be updated as soon as I found something interesting.

- "Military championship for assault tanks."

Vehicles: L5 and L3 light tanks/tankette. There's an L3 flamethrower in the final part.

"Military exercises in Rome at the presence of the Siam sovereigns."

Vehicles: L5 and L3 light tanks/tankette. In the last part you can see a SPA Dovunque (?) truck with the half track kit.

- "Trials of the new italian tanks."

Vehicles: M13/40 tanks.

- "Northern Africa. Italian forces in action."

Vehicles of relevance: (in order of appearance) Autoblinda AB41, captured Morris CS8 with a 65/17 gun, M13/40 (or M14/41), Lancia 3Ro 100/17.

- "War in Africa. Italian forces receiving supplies."

Lancia 3Ro 90/53, M tanks and command tanks (without the turret), internal view of some M13/40 while firing.

Special thanks to @_Condottiero_

- "Egypt 1942"

Lancia 3Ro 90/53 in firing position, M tanks.

Special thanks to @_Condottiero_

- "Fighting and scouting in Tunisia"

This video is very interesting because you can see all the different armaments that can be mounted on the Autoblindo AS42. Beside machine guns we have: Breda 20/65 autocannon, Solothurn 20mm AT rifle, 47/32 AT gun.

- "Tunisinian front line. Italian and German soldiers valiantly fighting."

In this video, in addition to some German vehicles, you can see a lot of very clear images of some Semovente L40 in action.

- "The conquest of the big oasis of Siwa, a paradise in the middle of the desert".

Here you can see some very interesting internal views of the Autoblindo AB41 in action, and finally some captured Morris CS8 re-armed with an italian 65 mm gun. 

- "First images of the [2nd] battle of El Alamein"

Semovente da 75/18 M40 in action.

- "Workshops next to the frontline - Quiet moments - The batteries keep advancing"

From minute ~2:00 you can see some Semovente M40 75/18 moving and firing.

Edited by Menarrosto
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 5
medal medal medal

Kind of off topic, is the newer Istituto LUCE building still standing? I can't seem to find any modern pictures of it. 

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

"War in Africa: Italian soldiers receive military supplies"

I really like this frame: 0:46 autocannone 90/53 su Lancia 3Ro (and dog). Also you can see a lot of other vehicles M13/40, SM.82(and even a cockpit), Ju.87, Pz.IV and etc.

• Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal

9 hours ago, Menarrosto said:

In the last part you can see a SPA Dovunque (?) truck with the half truck kit.

It could be a very useful modification in WT)

Edited by _Condottiero_

8 hours ago, Vand3rz said:

Kind of off topic, is the newer Istituto LUCE building still standing? I can't seem to find any modern pictures of it. 

Mmm I really don't know. The Istituto LUCE is still active today (not for propaganda purposes of course XD) under the name of CineCittà LUCE, so probably the building is still there.

@_Condottiero_ Thanks for the links! I'm going to add your videos to the first post later today. Every help is welcome!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
medal medal medal

7 hours ago, _Condottiero_ said:

"War in Africa: Italian soldiers receive military supplies"

I really like this frame: 0:46 autocannone 90/53 su Lancia 3Ro (and dog). Also you can see a lot of other vehicles M13/40, SM.82(and even a cockpit), Ju.87, Pz.IV and etc.

What's the half track unloaded at 0.33?

Edited by Ingulf666
medal medal medal medal

12 minutes ago, Ingulf666 said:

What's the half truck unloaded at 0.33?

Being an half track I think is nothing italian, as they preferred to use modification kits that can be removed for more speed.

It seems like a German Sd.Kfz.11 or similar.

medal medal medal

3 hours ago, Menarrosto said:

Being an half track I think is nothing italian, as they preferred to use modification kits that can be removed for more speed.

It seems like a German Sd.Kfz.11 or similar.

After a quick research to me it looks like some variant of a french Unic P107.

I wonder if it was in italian or german service (most likely the latter, as you say).

Maybe some french friend on the forum knows better.

medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, _Condottiero_ said:

By the way, do you know what this thing is? https://live.warthunder.com/post/674352/en/

Is it german or italian?

Looking at the gun shield and at the crew out of the vehicle I think it's a Semovente 90/53.

AFAIK it's the only vehicle armed with a 90 or 88mm gun equipped with a shield angled like that. I can be wrong of course.

medal medal medal

1 minute ago, Menarrosto said:

Looking at the gun shield and at the crew out of the vehicle I think it's a Semovente 90/53.

AFAIK it's the only vehicle armed with a 90 or 88mm gun equipped with a shield angled like that. I can be wrong of course.

Yeah, but these tracks, they look more wide, I think

9 minutes ago, _Condottiero_ said:

Yeah, but these tracks, they look more wide, I think

Mmm no ok, the gun is not an italian 90mm. Are we sure that those tracks are effectively tracks? The entire structure looks similar to the wheeled support for towing.

medal medal medal

I really need to get around to watching all of these, but the problem is that if I watch them then I'll really want to actually use these tanks! The LUCE logo looks very cool and surprisingly modern. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Vand3rz said:

the problem is that if I watch them then I'll really want to actually use these tanks!

Don't say it to me :D

36 minutes ago, Vand3rz said:

The LUCE logo looks very cool and surprisingly modern. 

Yep! And it's still used today unmodified for Cinecittà LUCE.

It's strange that nobody complained for this...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal

13 hours ago, Menarrosto said:

Yep! And it's still used today unmodified for Cinecittà LUCE.

It's strange that nobody complained for this...

Well Mussolini did kickstart the Italian film industry didn't he? 

But I agree with Serpiko, let's enjoy it without drawing any attention to it. :lol2:

• Like 2

Hey guys! I found another cool video:

If you switch to minute 1:50 and 3:10 you can see some rare images of a Semovente da 75/18 M40 battery while moving (minute 1:50) and firing (3:10).

There's a thing that always made me wonder: we know that the italian tanks were very small compared to their counterparts, but it's sometimes difficult to imagine their effective dimensions in real life.

If you take a look at this video you can see the Sem. 75/18 with the commander and the loader popping out of the top of the tank. Well... They look as big as the tank itself :D

To all the people interested on the rest of the video, there is a good assortment of italian guns of any caliber: from the Solothurn AT rifle and the Breda autocannon (truck mounted), to the mighty 90/53 gun and the italian wunderwaffe: the 149/40 gun :DD

Edit.

Video added to the first post.

Edited by Menarrosto
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal