Mouse control and maneuvers

So, realizing that my current skills in this game are actually rather bad I decided to look into improving them by watching some tutorials/guides and so on in the Academy section. There were a lot of nice tips/tactics and maneuvers that would help me a lot in my games but I am finding performing most of those maneuvers (yo-yo, barrel roll and so on) with my mouse in mouse control ... 

Most if not all the people doing those vids were using joysticks by the looks of it and such maneuvers were easier to perform. 

With the mouse control however, the plane tends to level itself out (the instructor steps in) despite me trying to do something like a yo-yo or barrel roll maneuver and I cant seem to be able to overcome this. I've been trying to do this for a while now and im starting to think that if you want to be better at this game you must get a joystick which I cant afford.

I might be doing it wrong or I'm missing something but if some of you out there using mouse control can give me a few tips on how to do these things i would appreciate it.

On a side note, I've tried using the keys (yaw/pitch and roll) in combination to my mouse but failed misserably mostly because you have no control over the strength you push those buttons, its always at max once you push it.

I've also tried the Simplified Controls and set my mouse to "realtive control" which in theory should make it easier to do those maneuvers but it turned out to be almost impossible to actually do any of that.

This is actually rather bad since most of the time im out maneuvered by a lot of ppl out there and end up dieing ... 

Halp? 

Unfortunately, unless you use a joystick or mouse-joy for emulated joystick control, more complex maneuvers are very difficult if not impossible to perform. That just comes with the territory. A flight sim/flight combat game, however you wish to call it, will net you far more freedom to maneuver when played as intended and with use of a joystick.

• Upvote 1

Well thats too bad ... I can either stick to only bombers since you dont need to make any crazy maneuvers or just give up on playing cause I'm starting to get tired of getting destroyed while playing fighters ... at first it was fun when i was thinking i need more practice but not anymore since the more I hear the more I feel I cant really compete with a lot of ppl out there.

And thats arcade, i wont even begin to talk about HB which I was dying to play since it is more fun and i prefer more realistic than arcade in most games but I have no chance in there ... 

Sure I do some kills in my fighters but its usually when I shoot at ppl shooting others but as soon as someone turns his/her attention to me im boned ... 1v1 i stand no chance ... 

In all fairness, I'm willing to bet 90% of the people that play Arcade play it with a mouse and keyboard as well. So, really, you should be on a level playing field when in comes to control schemes, strictly in Arcade. Although, as far as HB is concerned, I would recommend you spend the money to get a joystick to play there. It's not required, and I know for a fact that there's a LOT of people that play HB with a mouse, but you do end up with a lot more freedom to maneuver and the ability to perform proper ACM.

Bare in mind as well, a lot of people that play Arcade now probably only played that mode alone, so they end up getting very good with mouse control and the lead indicator. You might just need more practice with it before you really get the hang of it. :yes:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Actually, you can do some maneuvers like yoyo's with a mouse but it's difficult, takes practice and doesn't work the same on every aircraft. Another problem

is that the control interfaces in this game need a LOT of work. Some planes are fine but others you can barely control at all. It can also be inconsistent from one game or plane to the next. It's been like this for months from what I hear. the game looks so good that it makes you want to get serious about getting good in it.  All the problems with it are gonna make that very hard

until the devs fix a lot of the broken stuff. Sorry but that's where the game is right now.

You don't need to switch over to bombers just because it's a little more challenging to do some of the maneuvers. The simplest solution is (usually) the best solution. Crazy extravagant stunts are nice, but are highly situational. Of course, I'm still pretty new to the game so I could be wrong. 

Even still, there are some planes, even fighters, that are fine without pulling off a complex maneuver every chance you can (some are even better without them). Boom n Zoom type planes are great if you don't want to do a barrel roll every thirty seconds. Climb up, dive in, engage, repeat. 

Practice, practice and more practice. I've been playing nearly 2 months and I still suck, but, gradually I'm seeing some improvement albeit at the cost of some planes. Stick to tier 4 or lower until you see some improvement so it won't be that costly.
  • Upvote 4
medal medal

You can get nice joysticks on ebay for around 20€/26$. It seems rather unlikely that someone with access to a computer being able to run recent games can't save that amount of money in a few weeks. Just saying.

And: you are talking about Arcade. In Arcade joystick use will make you look like a good pilot. But also like a terrible shot. Stick with mouse and keyboard, für ~98% of the Arcade players out there this is the absolutely superior input method.

medal medal medal

You can get nice joysticks on ebay for around 20€/26$. It seems rather unlikely that someone with access to a computer being able to run recent games can't save that amount of money in a few weeks. Just saying.

Ah, but if you get a joystick, then you want a throttle. Then you want pedals. Then you want head tracking. Then you run into logistics problems so you want a pilot chair, designed with mounts for your gear. Then you want some buttkickers. Then an oculus. And so on and so forth, it's not that simple as just buying a joystick :)

Anyway, on topic, you can control your plane decently if you use the keyboard. If the instructor wants to level your plane just fight him with the keys. I use and abuse the roll keys (A and D) so much for lag rolls and whatnot, that it became instinct. Also, i don't use the mouse when doing loops/half loops, it just screws up the maneuver, i just use Ctrl for a clean, steady rise of the plane's nose. So far i have no problems with handling my plane using keyboard and mouse. You just gotta work with both at the same time, even if you want to "fight" the instructor.

medal

Good suggestions thus far, I guess I just overeacted. I played some games yestarday after I posted this and I've tried different maneuvers and while very hard to do I think im starting to get a slight feel for it but damn does it need a lot of work, constantly fighting with the insturctor ....

Practice is key to success indeed so ill keep at it until i either get better or get literally sick of it.

As for controlling the plane with the keys, yeah i've tried that, while rolls are easy to do, using the ctrl/shift is a bit tricky since when you press that key the plane gets into max turn rate and you cant regulate it properly. But then again, probably need more practice and get used to it.

It seems rather unlikely that someone with access to a computer being able to run recent games can't save that amount of money in a few weeks

Then you havent met me! I wont get into why I cant afford one cause that will get into a rather long and boring story ... also as GlintEastwood said, a simple joystick aint gonna cut it for long :)

Kinda off topic (or maybe not) but i was surprised that you cant make training games. What i want is to create a custom game with just me in it without time limits where I can practice my flying skills. Well I'm sure there is a way to do it BUT I didnt find it so if someone could point me into the right direction would be great. I've tried making a custom game but the game wont let me start along (without having another pilot in the opposing team)

I have remapped my w and s keys for pitch up and down, instead of throttle, and shift  and control for throttle, IMO this setup works way better, and as others have said, practice practice practice, until some of these maneuvers become second nature....Good Luck... :salute:

WASD can work wonders if you get used to it.You won't do finely tuned maneouvres as with a joystick,but you can hold down "S" to pitch up,then A/D to do scissors while looking around/back with the mouse camera.

Then when you're ready to steer with the mouse again,just bring the camera near the nose and let go of the keys.

Another thing you can do is when you're bouncing someone from above/behind and you see them getting ready to turn,you can keep tapping A/D to keep your wings at an angle so you can anticipate his turn without the reticule jumping all over the place.

Were there any significant changes in the last... lets say two weeks.. to the mouse aim controls? Havent played for 2 weeks until yesterday and it was... awful. AB mouse aim, but the wobling of the plane was worse then joystick mode, additional steering of the plane with the keyboard did almost nothing.. pressed A/D to perform a roll... the plane did start to "roll" but didnt finish it, used W/S to pitch and make a more "tight" turn but it did nothing. Moving the mouse just 1mm caused the plane to shake and wobble as if  flying through a hurricane.

Despite this problem I shot down 10 airplanes, because they werent performing any better. To me it appears as if the mouse aim control was drasticaly changed, but there are no patch notes regarding this?

(Actualy had this kind of behavior after I unplugged the joystick because it was not realy usable and had to reset all control settings to default, but since I have no pluged the joystick in in the last two months, since the last time the problem occured, I dont know why my control settings would be messed up again)

I play exclusively with Mouse/KB, and ive found that practice does help in this game. Even if you cant perfectly match a joysticks freedom of movement, you can pull off sloppy versions of the popular maneuvers. You must use your Keyboard, not just your mouse.

When i started, with Germans exclusively also, getting more than 3 kills a game was nearly impossible for me. Now, getting under 5 kills is uncommon. Patch 1.29 helped German guns and flight model extensively. I almost wish you had played pre 1.29, you would see then just how much better they are and how to better take advantage of their new capabilities.

When it comes to joysticks in this game while you can perform beautiful stunts, trying to shoot something down becomes problematical. I had rather do sloppy flying and be able to hit what I shoot at. Hopefully the next patch will make the game more joystick friendly.

• Upvote 1

Lots of good stuff written here. Just wanted to add my method of tapping aileron controls A/D to hold a certain input....It takes some practice but you can hold a damaged plane, that wants to roll,  level by doing this too.

Code99, on 04 Jun 2013 - 12:21, said:

Code99, on 04 Jun 2013 - 12:21, said:

Kinda off topic (or maybe not) but i was surprised that you cant make training games. What i want is to create a custom game with just me in it without time limits where I can practice my flying skills. Well I'm sure there is a way to do it BUT I didnt find it so if someone could point me into the right direction would be great. I've tried making a custom game but the game wont let me start along (without having another pilot in the opposing team)

Dude, you can totally make training games, if you have the plane unlocked or if it's a premium, check out the icons above it when you're checking the tech tree or the plane is in your hangar, you should have: hangar -- test flight -- weapons -- crew or something to that effect. Click on test flight, select the parameters you want and let her rip. Too bad you only have one "enemy" to shoot at, a ground target, but other than that, if you just want to see how a plane feels, it does the job.

medal

Its funny some ones comes up and says 'Er why can't I do this with a mouse?'.  I remember when everyone who flew in flight sims used a joystick,  anyone who said they were flying using a mouse and keyboard was pretty much laughed at by everyone they met.    

Atari-Joystick.jpg

• Upvote 1

Awesome looking joystick, dude, i think you would need mouse and keyboard as well, for that bad boy....

Dude, you can totally make training games, if you have the plane unlocked or if it's a premium, check out the icons above it when you're checking the tech tree or the plane is in your hangar, you should have: hangar -- test flight -- weapons -- crew or something to that effect. Click on test flight, select the parameters you want and let her rip. Too bad you only have one "enemy" to shoot at, a ground target, but other than that, if you just want to see how a plane feels, it does the job.

Yeah I saw it after i made that post when i went to paint my plane, didnt bother changing my post tho :)

Thanks tho!

Its funny some ones comes up and says 'Er why can't I do this with a mouse?'.  I remember when everyone who flew in flight sims used a joystick,  anyone who said they were flying using a mouse and keyboard was pretty much laughed at by everyone they met.    

I would like nothing more than a joystick right now but I cant afford one (a good one anyway) and I wont be buying some cheap stuff or from ebay (had some xxxx past experience when using ebay). But, if I keep playing this game I'll start saving for one, got myself a pretty expensive driving wheel already so next step would be logical, joystick :)

• 7 years later...
On 03/06/2013 at 20:45, Crazy_Joe said:

Unfortunately, unless you use a joystick or mouse-joy for emulated joystick control, more complex maneuvers are very difficult if not impossible to perform. That just comes with the territory. A flight sim/flight combat game, however you wish to call it, will net you far more freedom to maneuver when played as intended and with use of a joystick.

i heard that a joy stick in war thunder makes it harder? im a casual player but i want to get better at the game and maneuvers seem like the best optin to improve myself with but half of them are impossible bar me buying a $60-$120 hoy stick that from what ive heard may not even help :/ 
i heard that joy stick is only really good in sim battles, which I heard had its player base leave or something.

Edited by legend117
more added
  • Haha 1

On 04/09/2020 at 02:06, legend117 said:

i heard that a joy stick in war thunder makes it harder? im a casual player but i want to get better at the game and maneuvers seem like the best optin to improve myself with but half of them are impossible bar me buying a $60-$120 hoy stick that from what ive heard may not even help :/ 
i heard that joy stick is only really good in sim battles, which I heard had its player base leave or something.

And try setting it up if you do get one. I've tried multiple times (just so can have a go in RB or Sim test modes), but I haven't managed to ever make it feel right (was easier using flight sticks back on the Amiga or early PC, where you got great sims!).

Got the T1600m and throttle really cheap but it gathers dust since I generally only play WT or WoW.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 2 weeks later...

Talk about super necro....but still a learning thread for some:lol2:

On 04/09/2020 at 09:06, legend117 said:

It does not make it harder. That is such a false perception of the game...It depends on how you apply it. It is crucial to have if playing Sim

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 04/09/2020 at 09:06, legend117 said:

If you talking mainly Arcade, I have a Joystick/Mouse/Keyboard set up you might be interested in...takes some getting used to but quite intuitive

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal