Game play is less and less fun the higher BR you go

The higher the BR you go, the greater the stakes are for proper tactics (i.e. avoiding getting hit while making hits).

That makes for guarded games and 'campers' so to speak. High BR vehicles get flippin' pricey to fix... Imagine a game called "speed parking" where everyone brings an identical car and has to rush into a parking lot and park, where the closer the spot to 'home' gets a higher score. Play that game with a field full of geo metros and it's going to be an everlovin' free for all. Now play it with brand-new Toyota Corollas... a little less bravado.

Then play the game with a bunch of self-funded Bentley Arnages. Most careful, polite parking game you'll ever see because the penalties for mistakes are huge.

I am now getting to Tier 2 battles with many tier 2 opponents...

The fun factor is improving as i now am starting to see SOME team interaction...players asking for "real" help (some even saying my name or vehicle), or asking what target i am going to (on a bomber)...enough so i had to find out how to do simple replies in the PS4...

Sometimes now each side has a small ad-hoc team of "veteran" players that try to gang up and do something...

So i am at the perfect spot for now...not too hard, but getting more immersive...so far so good!

(no big kamikaze kills effect yet, also)

I have many units of both tanks and planes thats above 5.0. I even own a few jets but they have never once been used. Some I have had for several years now and not one of them has had any upgrades. They are still the same stock tanks and planes they were the day I  got them. They just sit in their hangers and garages collecting dust. I played as far as a 6 something on ground forces and gave up. cost to much and no fun when you get 1 shot every time, not to mention I am outmatched every match. I wouldn't mind being out matched once in a while but every match? and yes EVERY match. so I stay around 4.3 or 4.7. I wont even do 5 anymore. cost to much and like i said every match I am outmatched. lot of fun getting clubbed to death.

Edited by ShannaShae
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal

Well... now that I'm closer to done spading vehicles for the current lineup, and accelerated the crew XP process with a $25 cash infusion*, things have turned around a little.

Identifying the 'sweet spots' in the BR lineup for your garage is crucial to your enjoyment, too. 1.3,  2.3 ,and 3.3 for my US lineup seem to be pretty good for MM balance. 3.7 is an absolute cluster (the only 3.7 vehicle I have is the M10, and am constantly up against spaded 4.7s). 1.0 and 1.7 are middling just because for the former there are so many new players interspersed that anything can happen, and the latter there are some difficult 2.7 matches where I basically accept personal defeat and "do the dumbery" and end up taking a stats hit because I've tried something new or generally ill advised**.

*Sure, the game's not pay to win. It's pay to avoid going insane losing left and right for how long it takes to make your crews competitive, with the slow CXP gain rate.

**The M22 is incredible fun for harassment 'tactics', when spaded it's on it's 40mph top speed in a blink and is a small target. But you have to 'fly by' fairly close to thwart turret angles and shot timing, and anyone who wises up and uses a heavy machine gun will blow your tracks and you're pretty much dead at that point. But in places like Japan, I've poked at one group of enemies and literally been on the other side of the map in half a minute taking shot at another. Too bad there's no real stabilization to the 37mm, and that nobody managed to figure out how to put the 37mm M1A2 autocannon from the CGMC on to one of the little fast buggers...

Side note: The M15(?) CGMC may seem to have a silly BR, but if you're very careful with approach and cover there's no better vehicle for ROYALLY teeing off the opposing team. 120rpm of ineffective 37mm that will still do minor damage to most things and has a splash cloud that obscures vision, plus all the noise from the hits...

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I see a few sweet spots in AB games, but it also depend on the Air Force you have.  The British, for example, should really dominate for dog fighting, but their planes are all very similar and nerfed, while Japanese planes are very weak (the Type 99 cannon is more like a machine gun) until the higher tiers.  American planes have some performers like the P-39/63 but in large part are heavy and clumsy.  At the high tiers every nation has at least a couple of good fighters, but for some like the French or China they're someone else's fighters with their insignia on them.

Up to BR 3.3 or so it's:

A mix of all types of planes, including obscure American, French native, and so on.

Large numbers of players and short wait times

What people consider dogfighting--intense, wing to wing engagements

Top fighters show out by skill alone, someone can get 12-16 kills in a game in the right conditions

However, it's also:

Planes are worn down by machine guns, rarely downed quickly.

Quickly rank up and out

Slow speeds 

Very few of the "big name" planes people associate with WWII

Bombers are harder to kill as they are twin engine and more maneuverable, while fighters do less damage

From 3.7 until 4.7 or so I like the game least, you have some good fighters but are book ended by the higher BR 5 fighters that pummel you and for many air forces like China, Italy and France they don't have many planes at those ranks so you have low end fighters still in the play that get ripped up.

From 5 to 6.3 is another sweet spot with:

The legendary planes that people remember

Fast speeds and quick encounters, often a cannon strike downs a plane

Bombers are easy to kills as fighters pack a punch and planes aren't maneuverable--plus rather than fly at high altitude most bombers are flown like attackers low down

If you stand out you have to be really good

A democratization of skills where the high rank player may only have 5 kills and the low end 2, so in general people are leveled out, however see below.

Tactics and thinking matter, as quickly plunging into a fight can get you in trouble

You really learn to practice energy retention and angles for shots

But the downsides are:

Long waiting times

Far fewer players

Upranking gets very expensive, premium planes cost serious money

109 spam and to a lesser degree P-51's, sometimes half or more of the enemy are on those

Spawn campers galore--one player had nearly 4,000 matches just on a 109G/2 doing nothing but camping.  It's taken me two years to even get to 1,700 hours on all types.

Germans and Americans hit their stride at around BR 5 and that's a good place to stay as you don't face jets and still have decent size playing fields, Italians, British, and Japanese are closer to 6.  BR 6.3 on Germans and BR 6 on Italians is about as far as I'd like to go.  It stretches my skills, is a little intimidating, but it also helps to not always play in a safe space.  Encountering jets with a prop plane is a challenge; a competent pilot can be formidable in an F-80 or He-162, but drag them into a dogfight and they lose speed quickly and can't put it back.  The F-84 Thunderstreak is just a buzz saw.  Still, I do well often enough I play those air forces as my top end tiers.

Edited by sfpeter68
  • Upvote 1
medal medal

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/05/2020 at 06:37, sfpeter68 said:

I see a few sweet spots in AB games, but it also depend on the Air Force you have.  The British, for example, should really dominate for dog fighting, but their planes are all very similar and nerfed, while Japanese planes are very weak (the Type cannon is more like a machine gun) until the higher tiers.  American planes have some performers like the P-39/63 but in large part are heavy and clumsy.  At the high tiers every nation has at least a couple of good fighters, but for some like the French or China they're someone else's fighters with their insignia on them.

Up to BR 3.3 or so it's:

A mix of all types of planes, including obscure American, French native, and so on.

Large numbers of players and short wait times

What people consider dogfighting--intense, wing to wing engagements

Top fighters show out by skill alone, someone can get 12-16 kills in a game in the right conditions

However, it's also:

Planes are worn down by machine guns, rarely downed quickly.

Quickly rank up and out

Slow speeds 

Very few of the "big name" planes people associate with WWII

Bombers are harder to kill as they are twin engine and more maneuverable, while fighters do less damage

From 3.7 until 4.7 or so I like the game least, you have some good fighters but are book ended by the higher BR 5 fighters that pummel you and for many air forces like China, Italy and France they don't have many planes at those ranks so you have low end fighters still in the play that get ripped up.

From 5 to 6.3 is another sweet spot with:

The legendary planes that people remember

Fast speeds and quick encounters, often a cannon strike downs a plane

Bombers are easy to kills as fighters pack a punch and planes aren't maneuverable--plus rather than fly at high altitude most bombers are flown like attackers low down

If you stand you you have to be really good

A democratization of skills where the high rank player may only have 5 kills and the low end 2, so in general people are leveled out, however see below.

Tactics and thinking matter, as quickly plunging into a fight can get you in trouble

You really learn to practice energy retention and angles for shots

But the downsides are:

Long waiting times

Far fewer players

Upranking gets very expensive, premium planes cost serious money

109 spam and to a lesser degree P-51's, sometimes half or more of the enemy are on those

Spawn campers galore--one player had nearly 4,000 matches just on a 109G/2 doing nothing but camping.  It's taken me two years to even get to 1,700 hours on all types.

Germans and Americans hit their stride at around BR 5 and that's a good place to stay as you don't face jets and still have decent size playing fields, Italians, British, and Japanese are closer to 6.  BR 6.3 on Germans and BR 6 on Italians is about as far as I'd like to go.  It stretches my skills, is a little intimidating, but it also helps to not always play in a safe space.  Encountering jets with a prop plane is a challenge; a competent pilot can be formidable in an F-80 or He-162, but drag them into a dogfight and they lose speed quickly and can't put it back.  The F-84 Thunderstreak is just a buzz saw.  Still, I do well often enough I play those air forces as my top end tiers.

Excellent analysis. However I do disagree with every nation having a good plane at the higher prop BRs, most of the best planes (well, the most fun at least) are found at 5.0 BR or below. Here are some of my favorites.

• USA: The P-47D-28 is an incredibly fast plane that is also very fun to fly, due to the high risk-reward ratio brought on by its lack of maneuverability.
  • Germany: The Fw 190 D-9 is imo the best boom and zoom prop in the game, being low enough in BR that it won't get clobbered by 109 K4s, but still being extremely rewarding if you play your cards correctly. The speed and climb rate are unparalleled and the extreme roll rate allows you to get on target faster than almost every plane in the game.
  • USSR: The La-7B is incredibly fun, being capable of trading blows with 109 F-4s and G-2s, along with some of the best stability in the game.
  • Britain: The Spitfire Mk 1a is an absolute clubber, destroying almost every plane it goes up against. How is it at the same BR as the J22-a when it does literally everything better?
  • Japan: The J2M2 is quite literally the fastest climbing prop all the way up to 6.0, almost nothing can get above you. The amazing maneuverability also gives you one of the most versatile planes in the game, being capable of almost everything except going really fast.
  • Italy: The Re. 2001 CN claps everything at its BR, being an UFO in turns and also being very very good at climbing. However slightly underwhelming energy retention hurts it a bit but it's so maneuverable that it hardly matters.
  • France: The VG.33 is an amazing plane, being amazing at turning but also very very fast. However unreliable guns hurts it very much because this plane is more than capable of setting up kills, but the guns don't often do their jobs unless you have your hispano cannon ready.
  • China: The P-47D-30 is the copypasta version of the american P-47D-28, see above.
  • Sweden: Although I haven't flown the J21As, they are incredibly good, having the best guns in the game and also very fast for its br despite being raised to 3.7.
medal medal

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't played high tier planes at all really, I do have them, but I've queued up a few times, and the queue times are really long, like a few minutes, so I don't bother. In the few matches I did play, it was often half teams or less, and that wasn't a whole lot of fun.

As for ground, I've played a handful of battles at 6.7 for the USA (when they still had a 6.7 lineup), Germany and currently Britain. It really is not fun, for any of those countries. I don't know if anyone else notices this, but the games tend to be a lot campier and therefore less enjoyable. Aggressive play is generally not a winning tactic like it can be at lower tiers because you'll get very little support from your team, I once held a cap alone against ~5 enemy tanks because they were camping, if they'd pushed, they'd have probably overwhelmed me. But they didn't. Because of the games being more campy, matches tend to be more one-sided as well. The team that gets the caps first generally stays there because the other team rarely pushes. 

Also, the guns are a lot more powerful, so most tanks are capable of one-shotting one another or at least crippling pretty reliably, so everyone is afraid to get shot, and hence everyone camps. Expose the wrong part of your tank at the wrong time, and you'll be one-shotted from across the map. Hardly my idea of fun. It's also worth noting that since IMO at least you'll be playing a lot of Barrel/Gun Breech Repair Simulator 2020, because at least in my view, from doing it to others and having it done to me, barrel/breech sniping is way too effective and AB should return to the way it was before with that system rather than basically hard-blocking you from shooting, but that's a topic for another time. People will do it a lot more at this BR than at lower ones.

All in all, in my opinion, the last fun BR for tanks AB is 5.7. Beyond that it just turns into a campfest. 

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

my main concern isnt with airplanes, every kind of gun does damage to an airplane or jet. But my concern is just with the fact that the GF arent split into different ages, specially ammo wise. for example i have a KT 105mm, when i start a RB battle my team has leopards ( thats an age difference of 20+ years) it has ammo that didnt even exist in WWII. what difference am i going to make if i encounter t-60 tanks or so??

medal medal

• 1 month later...

There might be a problem in what AB is intended to be. High Br. planes is often convoluted with missiles and takes the former skill part out of the game to a point you could play Ace Combat, keep the missile issue while still having fun. AB however... bombers are effectively removed by meta and when we get more modern missiles planes are basically gone too. Which means if Gaijin continues blindly following the technological development AB planes(maybe RB too) have no future. One can complain how toy like World of Warship is but before 2019 it was fun (pre Aircraft carrier rework), good the fire mechanic was as feces as it is here(planes burned down while not a single flame in sight). 

medal medal medal