Cptn_Bukake

How arcade air beginner zone works

Hi all, 

I've looked around for information on the mechanics of the "new player zone" and have not found much so thought I'd put up a bit of info I have deduced while leveling accounts. 

When starting a new account you will be given an option to start with air or ground and choose your starting nation. This choice will effect which premium vehicle you will be given. You will then have to take the tutorial for the mode you have chosen and upon completion will be given 100 Golden Eagles to start your war thunder journey. You will be prompted to join a battle and the first several battles you take part in will not generate crew experience or module research points as they are intended to show you how the research options work. At the end of your second mission you will given one new module as researched. After this point you will be level 3 and begin generating crew experience and research points as normal. 

It is important to note that when doing Arcade Air you will be in a new player only zone that consists of 10v10 matches instead of the usual 16v16. You will only be matched against other new players in this mode. THIS DOES NOT EXIST FOR TANKS! If choosing tanks you will be throw into 16v16 matchups. If you intend on ever playing planes I suggest starting with these as this is your only opportunity to play in a beginner environment and learn the mechanics of the game. 

-The 10 v 10 beginner zone ONLY contains ground attack maps. You will not see any domination, air domination, or frontline missions. 

-BR averaging of lineup does not work like regular War Thunder. Your BR will be the highest BR aircraft in your lineup. 

-You will remain in the beginner zone until you FULLY unlock a plane or tank of 3.0 BR or above.  

-You can partially research a BR 3.0 or higher vehicle as long as you do not fully complete it.

-You can research planes outside of your starting nation  

-Pilot level has no impact on remaining in the beginner zone. I've seen players at level 26 who are still here. 

-When not enough players are available the excess slots will be filled by AI pilots. 

-You can switch over to playing tanks in the regular zone at any time. When you resume playing planes you will still be in the beginner zone until you research a 3.0 or higher plane OR TANK.

-The highest BR for new player zone is obviously 2.7 as owning any 3.0 aircraft will put you into the regular matches. Hence you will never see a plane higher than 2.7

The move from this mode to regular 16v16 matches is very harsh, Once you leave there is no going back so make sure you have learned all you can before fully researching that first 3.0 aircraft.

Hope this clarifies a bit

Cptn_Bukake

Pacifica (Posted )

Pinned!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3

Thank you for this @Cptn_Bukake,

I've moved this to the Air Force Academy as it is the correct section for this.

Cheers :salute:

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

At first i was skeptic...as i am apparently in this Beginner zone...and you make it sound easier as i feel it...

Then i thought about it and most battles do happen as you mention...so i appreciate the info...a lot...as i will be avoiding the 3.0 upgrades for now.

That said...a question if i may...

How do you identify an AI pilot?

I can easily identify good human pilots as they will hunt me down and kill me...easy enough...

However...i played a few missions vs AI (outside PVP) and i see none of that on the Battles i played (in PVP). AI players are usually easier to shoot down...

Unless AI players are always using bombers...i do get odd bomber behavior that might be explained by AI.

And another thing...is there any effect on Tank battles?

Edited by *GhostSoph

Hi @*GhostSoph

1 hour ago, *GhostSoph said:

How do you identify an AI pilot?

I can easily identify good human pilots as they will hunt me down and kill me...easy enough...

However...i played a few missions vs AI (outside PVP) and i see none of that on the Battles i played (in PVP). AI players are usually easier to shoot down...

Unless AI players are always using bombers...i do get odd bomber behavior that might be explained by AI.

AI "players" will have names like "John", "Kirill", "Maynard", common names like that. It'll be easy to identify them as well if you check to see if they have a player profile. (the button / key you have binded to bring up the leaderboard, right click their name and see if a menu pops up.)

1 hour ago, *GhostSoph said:

And another thing...is there any effect on Tank battles?

Quote from the OP: "THIS DOES NOT EXIST FOR TANKS! If choosing tanks you will be throw into 16v16 matchups."

Edited by TheElite96

17 hours ago, TheElite96 said:

AI "players" will have names like "John", "Kirill", "Maynard", common names like that. It'll be easy to identify them as well if you check to see if they have a player profile. (the button / key you have binded to bring up the leaderboard, right click their name and see if a menu pops up.)

Quote from the OP: "THIS DOES NOT EXIST FOR TANKS! If choosing tanks you will be throw into 16v16 matchups."

Yep...checked a couple games...and indeed there are some of those players on both sides...guess that also explains why i have MORE kills on certain planes than those credited for a new camo.

For instance...i have 20 or so kills with Me110...but for the first bonus "camo" the count is only 8! Guess i killed 12 AI bots thinking they were human...

As for the tanks...my question was if there any other differences...for instance, i have only matches with one single victory point so i see one limitation here i assume can also be related to this...and i also would like to know if all players are also "beginners" or if we mix and match with the general population...

EDIT:

Well...thinking back...some enemies did some odd manoeuvres...i assumed mistake by human user...some landed their planes in the middle of arcade battle...

Edited by *GhostSoph

Yes, new players in tanks will only see maps in the conquest mode with a single capture zone. This will change once you progress to Domination with three capture zones and Break where you will have to defend your cap(s) and have to capture three enemy zones subsequently along with Conquest mode matches.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 31/10/2017 at 6:30 PM, MrTommi said:

Yes, new players in tanks will only see maps in the conquest mode with a single capture zone. This will change once you progress to Domination with three capture zones and Break where you will have to defend your cap(s) and have to capture three enemy zones subsequently along with Conquest mode matches.

Sorry to insist...do i need a 3.0 vehicle for this (i.e. different game modes in tank battles arcade)? Or just a tier II vehicle (there are several at less than 3.0). I would like to play different modes in tanks without leaving beginner zone...

I am not afraid of it in tank mode...but still having many problems in the air...human players simply seem to fly faster and tighter turning planes...(p.s. i am aware it is me that needs improvement... :))

50 minutes ago, *GhostSoph said:

I am not afraid of it in tank mode...but still having many problems in the air...human players simply seem to fly faster and tighter turning planes...(p.s. i am aware it is me that needs improvement... :))

The best advice I can give you is to not worry too much about it. I'm not a terribly good pilot; on a good day I'm about average. When I started I had no idea there was a beginner zone, and I honestly didn't notice when I moved out of it. Sure I died frequently, but I put it down to me flying new and unspaded planes at a higher BR than I was used to.

Of course, flying may simply not be your thing, but I rather doubt it. Just hang in there and try to learn from your mistakes. If I can do OK-ish outside the beginner zone, then most players can.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal

Just managed to use use replays...i am PS4 user...not as simple as in PC...and discovered an interesting thing, not mentioned here...

Replays are divided between "normal" replays and "beginner" replays (not sure what the wording is...but different options in interface).

So i am playing BOTH types of games in air arcade...they are easy to identify once you know what to look for:

- Beginner has less players and those AI with "common" names

- Normal has more players and no AI (or few)

Didnt check in detail...but you "feel" it from start...in beginner air is much less crowded and a fe enemy planes hang back and are not vary aggressive. In normal mode there are many more and one or more will come for you quickly (not sure if also effect of PS4 name)

Apparently the type of game i get is dependant on how many users are online...saw no effect of faction...have both types on all factions. About 50% of each.

I am ASSUMING the beginner games will disappear once i get that 3.0 plane/tank...not in a rush anyway...

Side question...does kills of AI planes get counted differently?...i get the feeling they count for overall kills...but not for prizes...

(I am doing a bad thing...i go for AI bots for easier kills early in the fight...pretty sure i am not the only one ;))

Edited by *GhostSoph

Man, I wish this was made more clear before I was moved out of the beginner zone. I have nothing but weak biplanes and now every match I'm put into I'm up against much better planes. This leads to me quickly being killed as soon as I reach the battle area, one or two hits and I'm done.

So is there any advice for me? Because at this point, after doing very well in zone beginner zone and now being completely unable to earn any more upgrades, I feel the game has got me to the point where I can't play unless I pay for premium vehicles...

1 hour ago, Zephyr28 said:

Man, I wish this was made more clear before I was moved out of the beginner zone. I have nothing but weak biplanes and now every match I'm put into I'm up against much better planes. This leads to me quickly being killed as soon as I reach the battle area, one or two hits and I'm done.

So is there any advice for me? Because at this point, after doing very well in zone beginner zone and now being completely unable to earn any more upgrades, I feel the game has got me to the point where I can't play unless I pay for premium vehicles...

Make sure your lineup of aircraft all have nearly the same battle rating. The highest one determine which aircraft you will face.

Also, right now is a tough time in low tier games, because a lot of extremely skilled and experienced players are grinding the French tech tree. That'll pass.

Finally, you are very new at this game. Your performance will improve a lot with time and practice.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal

2 hours ago, Zephyr28 said:

Those russian biplanes are all but "weak". They are deadly.

3 hours ago, Dodo_Dud said:

Those russian biplanes are all but "weak". They are deadly.

deadly?

rather ZOMG INSANE OP ;) 

6 hours ago, Zephyr28 said:

I feel the game has got me to the point where I can't play unless I pay for premium vehicles...

nope.

take ur I15 load apits and practice turnfight till u get 5 enemies down for one I15 dead (u should use lineup 3x i15 for learning flying biplanes ;) 

also - ask someone for good keyboard binds - helps a lot to do tighter turns

dont wait till circle appears - for head on start shooting from like 1.6 km

chaika better than french biplanes ;) 

and when u get some other planes u should learn how to fiight them again )))

medal medal medal medal medal medal

10 hours ago, Lord_of_Sofa said:

Post a screen shot of your  lineup and tech tree. 

There usually is a nice grinding lineup for every tier. 

What is the tech tree? The research for new vehicles or for each individual plane?

11 hours ago, krise_madsen said:

Make sure your lineup of aircraft all have nearly the same battle rating. The highest one determine which aircraft you will face.

Also, right now is a tough time in low tier games, because a lot of extremely skilled and experienced players are grinding the French tech tree. That'll pass.

Finally, you are very new at this game. Your performance will improve a lot with time and practice.

The highest battle rating in my lineup that I can see is 3.3. I'm very confused with how the lineup and vehicle selection works, though. A few of my planes are at 1.0 BR and say "Reserve" but the game doesn't explain that. 

Is there a new player guide anywhere that talks about those things? I've found many that discuss how to actually play matches, but can't find anything that explains, in detail, the tech trees, how to wisely research new modifications and other UI elements.

6 hours ago, LuftMaus said:

deadly?

rather ZOMG INSANE OP ;) 

nope.

take ur I15 load apits and practice turnfight till u get 5 enemies down for one I15 dead (u should use lineup 3x i15 for learning flying biplanes ;) 

also - ask someone for good keyboard binds - helps a lot to do tighter turns

dont wait till circle appears - for head on start shooting from like 1.6 km

chaika better than french biplanes ;) 

and when u get some other planes u should learn how to fiight them again )))

Yeah, I'm pretty new to the game so a lot of what you just said makes no sense to me ;). 

4 minutes ago, Zephyr28 said:

The highest battle rating in my lineup that I can see is 3.3. I'm very confused with how the lineup and vehicle selection works, though. A few of my planes are at 1.0 BR and say "Reserve" but the game doesn't explain that. 

Is there a new player guide anywhere that talks about those things? I've found many that discuss how to actually play matches, but can't find anything that explains, in detail, the tech trees, how to wisely research new modifications and other UI elements.

http://wiki.warthunder.com/index.php?title=Beginners_guide_to_plane-battles

And this is your tech tree, at least for Russian planes:

Spoiler

shot-2013.12.18-17.50.26.jpg

3 hours ago, Zephyr28 said:

Here are a few links to War Thunder Wiki (it's a good place to start when new at this game):

https://wiki.warthunder.com/index.php?title=Battle_ratings

https://wiki.warthunder.com/index.php?title=Matchmaker

The quick and dirty explanation:

• Battle Rating (BR) is a measure of how good the individual aircraft is compared to all the others in War Thunder: An old biplane is at BR 1.3, a Korean War jet is at BR 8.0. A bit like handicap in golf.
  • The Match Maker (MM) will try to match you with aircraft of similar BR so you have an even playing field. When you press the "To Battle" button, the MM will look for other players with the same BR and put you all in the same match.
  • When you have more than one aircraft in your lineup the MM will take the highest BR in your lineup and put you in a match with aircraft of the same BR. In your example, your best aircraft is at BR 3.3, so your enemies in the match will also be at BR 3.3.
  • If you have one aircraft at BR 3.3. and the rest of your lineup are at, say, BR 1.3, then you'll be flying those 1.3 aircraft against BR 3.3 enemies and you will obviously be at a disadvantage.
  • Therefore, you should fill your lineup with aircraft of the same BR, so they are all evenly matched against your enemies.

The "Reserve" title means that the aircraft are free to repair. For all other aircraft you have to pay Silver Lions to repair aircraft. So even if you run completely out of Silver Lions you can always play the reserve aircraft. The reserve aircraft are at BR 1.0.

So far so good, now some of the finer details that are a bit more complicated:

• The Match Maker can practically never find enough players with exactly the same BR, so it says "eh, close enough" and adds players with a slightly lower or higher BR.
  • The gap between the player with the lowest and highest BR is never more than 1.0.
  • So your lineup at BR 3.3 can face enemies with a BR as low as 2.3 or as high as 4.3, but not in the same match.
  • If you're lucky the BR range in a match will be 2.3 - 3.3 and you'll be the top dog. If you're not so lucky the match will be 3.3 - 4.3 and you're the underdog. Or it can be something in between like 3.0 - 4.0.

There is an exception to the above: You can downtier your lineup. But we'll cross that bridge when we get to it (let the info above sink in first).

Hope this helps :)

medal medal medal

Don't advance to fast down the tech tree (=the vehicles of one nation to research). Take time to research the modules for the vehicles. Having all the modules greatly boosts the performance. Your planes are faster, turn faster and can take a little more damage, your guns are more accurate and don't jam so fast. Your ammo belts hold more bullets that inflict higher damage on hit. For example your belt holds more Ap bullets or incendiary bullets in a sequence.

Next work on your tactics. Observe the battle. Try to pick your targets more carefully. Find enemies that are far from their teammates. Keep altitude so that you are able to pick your engagements or avoid unfavorable engagements for you.

On 22.12.2017 at 6:15 PM, Zephyr28 said:

The highest battle rating in my lineup that I can see is 3.3.

Look, you are in the wrong thread. YOU have left the beginner zone when you completed research of that vehicle.

What game mode does the BR 3.0 limit count for? For example, the Spitfire Mk IIa has a BR of 2.7 for AB/RB and 3.0 for SB. If I were to fully research this aircraft, would it push me out of the beginner zone?

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal

I think I left the beginner zone before I was ready. I was just starting to have a few successes in there with the fewer opponents and may have inadvertently moved out.

I purchased the Steam Pack which comes with a higher level US plane. I have not flown it  in combat nor assigned it to a crew but now, all my battles seem to be against larger number of opponents. Is there some setting I’m missing that I could continue to play beginner zone for a while or am I out of luck since I own but don’t yet use a higher level fighter in one nation?

5 hours ago, Farrago510 said:

I think I left the beginner zone before I was ready. I was just starting to have a few successes in there with the fewer opponents and may have inadvertently moved out.

I purchased the Steam Pack which comes with a higher level US plane. I have not flown it  in combat nor assigned it to a crew but now, all my battles seem to be against larger number of opponents. Is there some setting I’m missing that I could continue to play beginner zone for a while or am I out of luck since I own but don’t yet use a higher level fighter in one nation?

You're out of luck. No going back to the beginner zone. For that you'd have to start a new account.

medal medal medal

On 07/10/2017 at 5:50 PM, Cptn_Bukake said:

It is important to note that when doing Arcade Air you will be in a new player only zone that consists of 10v10 matches instead of the usual 16v16. You will only be matched against other new players in this mode. THIS DOES NOT EXIST FOR TANKS! If choosing tanks you will be throw into 16v16 matchups. If you intend on ever playing planes I suggest starting with these as this is your only opportunity to play in a beginner environment and learn the mechanics of the game. 

I am not so sure about this...

In tanks i have VERY different mactchups in ARCADE vs REALISTIC.

In ARCADE i dont find any tank above BR2.7...and lots of bots in several maps. Plus i only play games with ONE CAP ZONE...and with a limited map pool (Poland, Eastern Europe, Normandy, Ash River, Factory).

So some type of "begginer zone" seems to exist...

In REALISTIC i am evidently in Normal zone...started playing it this weekend...first target i can see clearly trough the sights...a Long Gun PzIV (and me in a Locust  light tank)...i had the Lee in the lineup so i got up-tiered...

I have 3 cap zones in all matches and LOTS of maps...

AND I am still in begginer zone in planes...

On 13/03/2018 at 11:26 AM, kkang2828 said:

What game mode does the BR 3.0 limit count for? For example, the Spitfire Mk IIa has a BR of 2.7 for AB/RB and 3.0 for SB. If I were to fully research this aircraft, would it push me out of the beginner zone?

I have planes that are 3.0 in RB and SB (mostly because i didnt pay attention as i dont even use them...A36 and A20)...and am still on beginner zone in AB. Not sure what will happen if i start a RB air battle...NEVER tried it...

(As you see above...it is possible to play both zones...but i would NOT risk it)

I would DELAY the research of any plane that is BR3.0 in ANY TYPE of match...

3 hours ago, *GhostSoph said:

I would DELAY the research of any plane that is BR3.0 in ANY TYPE of match...

HOW exactly can I DELAY the research of a plane?

medal medal medal

3 minutes ago, kkang2828 said:

HOW exactly can I DELAY the research of a plane?

You dont research any plane ABOVE BR2.7...

If you research ALL planes below BR2.7 then you cant play that faction IF you dont want to leave beginner zone...

Right now i "cant" play german and brit tanks or planes...i am playing OTHER factions...

Eventually i will have ALL vehicles from ALL factions up to BR2.7...THEN i will have to leave beginner zone...but in all honesty...i wont be a beginner then ;)