mtomma

Anybody noticing strange bounce mechanics recently?

I was in my Tiger I and an IS-2-1944 shot traps me? He attacked me at near a 90 degree angle, and his round bounces off of my mantlet and into my hull, and explodes. After ragequitting, I take out my T95E1 and I have an Obj 120's HEATFS shell bounce off of my roof armor, hits my cupola, and explodes like an HE shell outside of my tank and kills all of my crew.

Anybody else notice some strange change to bounces?

Edited by mtomma
  • Sad 2
medal

Have noticed it with my M18 bouncing rounds (APHE) down into Tigers? Never seen this before.

I was driving the MBT-70 with a squadmate this morning and a Raketen 2 HOT got the jump on him and hit his engine deck. I actually saw the ATGM hit the top of his engine deck, and change course by like 15 degrees upwards, as if it bounced off of him. It was really odd.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

It seems 50/50 on how you damage vehicles.  One day all your shots do large amounts of damage and the next day you get crazy bounces from shots that should in all accounts pen and do large damage yet they either bounce or do little to no damage at all.  They just turn things yellow or orange only. This seems to me anyway that is sticks with you all day or at least that whole time you try to play. Makes for a great day or the exact opposite and cause a lot of frustration. I had mentioned this before in a post on the first impressions of the new patch.  I had a straight side shot on the turret of a T34 heavy with my Panther II and at point blank the shot bounced straight back at me. That was just one of many accounts I've noticed after the patch.

medal medal

PT76 bounced a rocket from RakJpz HOT, another one disappeared somewhere when i fired at him. Took me 4 rockets just to kill a PT76, which was strange. Another missile disappeared when i hit T62 and one more when i fired at IT1. Also had a strange apds behaviour on OBJ 120 in my leo, fired at his turret and shell did no damage. I have experienced this behavior before in IS2 when 230mm penetration shell exploded at the engine deck of M41 doing no damage, but this was rare. Today strange things like these happened alot.

Edited by Crytiv
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

4 hours ago, *Tadz_ said:

must be that "client stability improved" from a couple of days ago. :D

They sure don't mean client mental stability :) 

Yeah, there's some weird stuff going on. I've been seeing lots of shells that should pen hitting things almost flat and bouncing off, and shells bouncing where they should but in a way that makes absolutely no sense. On the other hand, IS-6s seem to be actually easier to pen, so there's that.

medal medal medal

35 minutes ago, hiddentruth said:

They sure don't mean client mental stability :) 

Ha!

22 minutes ago, Xogo said:

Yeah, there's some weird stuff going on. I've been seeing lots of shells that should pen hitting things almost flat and bouncing off, and shells bouncing where they should but in a way that makes absolutely no sense. On the other hand, IS-6s seem to be actually easier to pen, so there's that.

Now that you mention it, I had quite a few shells just disappear the other night when I was playing some low tier u.k. tenks.

There is mention of "shell disappear RNG" code on being added on reddit, but not sure if it's another meme or a actual thing.

medal medal medal medal

I would guess a RNG is at play here. Instead of modeling armor pen properly it's like it works on a 3 step system. You have a area of angle that is a sure way to pen. After that they set an area of angle that the RNG decides if you pen. The last area is the angles at which no pen can happen. Could be all wrong but that is the way it has seemed to work. I just don't see this game really following the proper formulas for each and every players shot.

medal medal medal medal

What I noticed more and more in the last few days is shots bouncing off the road wheels or getting absorbed way more frequently by tracks compared to before. Happened plenty of times already just this week. I remember this used to happen sometimes in the past but nowhere near as it's happening now.

P.S. Of course there are the usual unexplainable bounces on soviet tanks, but by now everybody is used to but still amaze when they happen so evidently. 

59d78ae390717_shot2017_10_0603_13_48.thu59d78aeac9108_shot2017_10_0603_13_59.thu59d78af73587e_shot2017_10_0603_14_04.thu59d78afd304ef_shot2017_10_0603_14_08.thu59d78b0280a3c_shot2017_10_0603_14_17.thu

Simply amazing.

medal medal medal

I've had APHE shells from my M18 and M4 76mm tanks hit the sides of panther turrets at a near 90 degree angle from 100 yards or less and had bounces.

• Upvote 1

Judging by the responses, we can safely assume there was a ninjapatch that changed bounce mechanics. Gotta love Gaijin!

medal

After the last major update I've noticed some weird bounced (not much more than regularly though) but also this

• Haha 1
medal medal medal medal

I actually had a good night of playing without crazy bounces and shells were actually penning way more often and like thier pen tables indicate.

Last night was the first night where I didnt think "these bounce mechanics need fixed."

I did play 5.7 US though where they did have horrible gun performance prior.  I will have to try GE or RU now.

medal medal medal

I did not notice any change. Just the usual craziness we all love and hate.

Neither the medium 75mm, nor the long 88mm or 105mm seem to miss behave for me.

medal medal

On 5.10.2017 at 5:24 PM, mtomma said:

I was in my Tiger I and an IS-2-1944 shot traps me? He attacked me at near a 90 degree angle, and his round bounces off of my mantlet and into my hull, and explodes. After ragequitting, I take out my T95E1 and I have an Obj 120's HEATFS shell bounce off of my roof armor, hits my cupola, and explodes like an HE shell outside of my tank and kills all of my crew.

Anybody else notice some strange change to bounces?

Nothing unusual there. If you hit the Tiger 1 mantled at a certain spot the shell will bounce into the crew compartment. And with the Obj 120 HEAT-FS acting like HE... well HEAT-FS is both armor piercing and HE and with something like 6kg of HE filler you can expect it to act like 152mm HE.

Topic might as well be closed.

medal medal medal medal medal

On 10/8/2017 at 2:48 AM, KillaKiwi said:

Nothing unusual there. If you hit the Tiger 1 mantled at a certain spot the shell will bounce into the crew compartment. And with the Obj 120 HEAT-FS acting like HE... well HEAT-FS is both armor piercing and HE and with something like 6kg of HE filler you can expect it to act like 152mm HE.

Topic might as well be closed.

That's not how HEAT works though. It should essentially function like an extra hot AP shell.

• Like 1
medal medal medal

30 minutes ago, Xogo said:

That's not how HEAT works though. It should essentially function like an extra hot AP shell.

If 6.5kg of TNT explode on top of the turret roof armor it doesn't matter what type of shell it is, the explosion will completely destroy the turret amd thats exactly what the OP is describing.

medal medal medal medal medal

3 hours ago, KillaKiwi said:

If 6.5kg of TNT explode on top of the turret roof armor it doesn't matter what type of shell it is, the explosion will completely destroy the turret amd thats exactly what the OP is describing.

A HEAT round forms a copper jet that travels directly forwards with a lot of energy to penetrate armor. They do not explode into spheres of death and shoot fragments in a 360 deg redius. If anything, the commander would be decapitated and the cupola would be ripped off, not my entire crew dying

medal

6 minutes ago, mtomma said:

A HEAT round forms a copper jet that travels directly forwards with a lot of energy to penetrate armor. They do not explode into spheres of death and shoot fragments in a 360 deg redius. If anything, the commander would be decapitated and the cupola would be ripped off, not my entire crew dying

Actually, yes, they do - it is "just" that the explosion "forwards" is particularly concentrated and energetic and results in the penetrator.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal