Hi!

I am trying to rebuild the The AEC Mk I Gun Carrier, known as Deacon. It was a British armoured fighting vehicle of the Second World War. It was an attempt to make the QF 6 pounder anti-tank gun into a self-propelled artillery piece. It was employed only during the North African Campaign from 1942–1943 (Description taken from Wikipedia).

I read that the Deacon has been build on the chassis of the AEC Matador, but I am not sure about that. It is not very easy to find good informations about this particular vehicle. Any help would be very appreciated.

Edited by ivica70
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 5
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

It was indeed built on the chassis of an AEC Matador, it just looks like they added armour to it and replaced the driver's cabin with a single seat one. Here is a plan of the modified Matador with a picture of the Deacon next to it.

Spoiler

2241693_orig.jpg.f98dcc54dc056fe315c80a1AEC_Deacon_leftfront_HAUGH.jpg.bd84fd886

Edited by Time4Tea
medal medal medal medal

5 hours ago, ivica70 said:

Hi!

Update. Have begun to construct the model. I am using this blueprints:

http://drawingdatabase.com/deacon-artillery/

Deacon001.jpg

Looking good already :good:.

medal medal medal medal

Thank you. The upper parts of the vehicle are pretty simple and will be relatively easy to create. The gun, drivers cabin and the undercarriage will need more time. Attached you see a picture of a beautiful built Deacon model and the undercarriage of a Matador model...

Deacon003.jpg

Deacon002.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is a great project ivica70, the British tree really deserves more love in the lower ranks :)

I actually remember this vehicle quite fondly from my time in Forgotten Hope 2, this is what it looked like there:

big.jpg

• Upvote 3
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Hi!

Thank you. Have seen already the Forgotten Hope 2 version. It looks very cool, but lacks some accuracy. Just received an Accurate Armor resin model from the AEC Deacon that I have found on ebay. It is constructed very accurate and I will follow now the blueprints and resin parts from the model. You can see it in the Photo I have attached to the post

Deacon.jpg

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, ivica70 said:

Little update. Wheels changed. New hubs for the front wheels. new armour side plates and started to construct the cabin inclusive hatches and doors

Deacon016.jpg

Wow, it's really coming along well :good:

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

• 2 weeks later...