Chieftain MK 10

Finally got mk10 and unlocked with GE the Apfsds and guys... Thats awesome. Finally can ohk everything from a decent distance. Playin AB cuz of the stock mobility of the tank. I had a try on realistic but i coudnt even reach the first cap point and the battle was over thanks for the gokart KPZ70's raping our spawn after 3 minutes. So till i got the engine upgrades I'll stay on AB. So the firepower with this ammo is awesome. The mobility still crap so its still a real hull down tank. The armor meh... got a few bounce but the rjkpz HOT still xxxx me up with the camp on the edge of the map... Brits realy need a fast vehicle like the mbt with Apfsds and its allright then. Couldnt imagine how xxxx cool is this ammo (apfsds), damn russians got 4!!!! tank with it and we got only the mk10, thats so sad...:(

and sry for my english :)

medal medal medal

2 hours ago, Trogerr said:

Finally got mk10 and unlocked with GE the Apfsds and guys... Thats awesome. Finally can ohk everything from a decent distance. Playin AB cuz of the stock mobility of the tank. I had a try on realistic but i coudnt even reach the first cap point and the battle was over thanks for the gokart KPZ70's raping our spawn after 3 minutes. So till i got the engine upgrades I'll stay on AB. So the firepower with this ammo is awesome. The mobility still crap so its still a real hull down tank. The armor meh... got a few bounce but the rjkpz HOT still xxxx me up with the camp on the edge of the map... Brits realy need a fast vehicle like the mbt with Apfsds and its allright then. Couldnt imagine how xxxx cool is this ammo (apfsds), damn russians got 4!!!! tank with it and we got only the mk10, thats so sad...:(

and sry for my english :)

Vickers MBT mark 7

4 hours ago, Capt_Palmtree said:

But that effects Britain more than any other nation.

Unfortunately that is how things are, I'm just repeating what Gaijin themselves have stated, there are rumours that they are testing out vehicles which use such type of armour, however it would be guesstimated values for armour protection and again might not even be true that they are testing them.

medal medal medal medal

6 hours ago, JimSan said:

Uses Chobham Armour, from what I remember Gaijin mentioning anything that still uses Classified parts is a no go for the time being.

But we need something else... so boring my lineup with chief mk3,mk5,mk10.. fantastic top tier with our useless ATGMs...:( We need a fast MBT with apfsds!

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal

33 minutes ago, Capt_Palmtree said:

It is easy to guesstimate 

Chobham = Unpenable 

Like in reality.

I wouldnt call Iraqis T-72M using at most 3BM15 comparable to T-72B and T-80U using 3BM32 and 42

• Upvote 1
medal medal

19 hours ago, Trogerr said:

But we need something else... so boring my lineup with chief mk3,mk5,mk10.. fantastic top tier with our useless ATGMs...:( We need a fast MBT with apfsds!

Here's some ideas from the mock tree which I've been working on, but if Gaijin would ever go this route is another question entirely.

Spoiler

tiersixtanks.png

However this pic is a little out of date, moved the Vickers 3(M) before the Vickers 4 and moved the Vijayanta out of the tree, after the ATGM tanks is the MCV-80 which is a Warrior hull with a HOT ATGM launcher, then of course a Recce line (UK Light Tank line equivalent) which we are currently lacking.

Updated tree is here on the GF page.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal

On ‎25‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 3:13 PM, Wrags said:

Yep that happens way to often. I atrribute it to the short combat distances so aiming at weakspots is a option at all. One of the first matches in the chieftain i lost my cannon on every f..... hit i almost started to file a bugreport..  Best solution for this issue is to never stay stationary, pop up fire and emidiately go back to a turretdown possition. If the enemy has enought time to get a shot off its most likely not that well aimed.

Like, by the time you drag yourself out of turret down, they've gotten bored and wandered off. I'm just starting to research the modules but it is sooooo sluggish.

medal medal

OK I'm a hard core British tank driver, but the Mk10 is waaaay underperforming at tier VI. Considering the 70's are basically baby Abrams they should not have been included until the next era after this is introduced. Although the Mk 10 was a real tank with real world performance stats I feel that the only British equivalent of the 70's would be a prototype Challenger 1 or the early version. Especially in this game, the MK10 does not lend itself to the style of gameplay required to actually redeem the repair costs, get 3 kills (good result for a Mk10), that's about 4500 ls, repair 17,000. I have yet to see a Mk10 reach the cap before an MBT-70, actually, you're normally still leaving the spawn while they're capping. The only other options for making coin are sniper, shadow streak etc but the maps where you can achieve these are few and far between.

I'm really disappointed in the Mk10, I normally leave it in the line up and use my other tanks as it's cheaper. Please fix it up Gaigin.

• Upvote 2
medal medal

This seems encouraging..

Will you implement armoured vehicles’ transmission differences in the aspect of turning mechanics? Because it really affects vehicle maneuverability in real life and will also affect gameplay and at the moment the only thing we have in game is neutral steering. In the first place it should affect such tanks as the Tigers 1 and 2, Shermans etc which lose much less speed while turning on the move.

Yes, we plan to implement alternate turning mechanics.

I seriously hope so.

• Like 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

55 minutes ago, Phelpsiee said:

This seems encouraging..

Will you implement armoured vehicles’ transmission differences in the aspect of turning mechanics? Because it really affects vehicle maneuverability in real life and will also affect gameplay and at the moment the only thing we have in game is neutral steering. In the first place it should affect such tanks as the Tigers 1 and 2, Shermans etc which lose much less speed while turning on the move.

Yes, we plan to implement alternate turning mechanics.

I seriously hope so.

Do you have a source? I can't find it in the dev. Q&A post.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

13 minutes ago, Phelpsiee said:

It's an old one, I expected it in 1.71. Hoping for 1.73..

I don't get too much hope for 1.73...

medal medal medal medal medal

On 13/10/2017 at 7:07 AM, Lewk_Skywalker said:

OK I'm a hard core British tank driver, but the Mk10 is waaaay underperforming at tier VI. Considering the 70's are basically baby Abrams they should not have been included until the next era after this is introduced. Although the Mk 10 was a real tank with real world performance stats I feel that the only British equivalent of the 70's would be a prototype Challenger 1 or the early version. Especially in this game, the MK10 does not lend itself to the style of gameplay required to actually redeem the repair costs, get 3 kills (good result for a Mk10), that's about 4500 ls, repair 17,000. I have yet to see a Mk10 reach the cap before an MBT-70, actually, you're normally still leaving the spawn while they're capping. The only other options for making coin are sniper, shadow streak etc but the maps where you can achieve these are few and far between.

I'm really disappointed in the Mk10, I normally leave it in the line up and use my other tanks as it's cheaper. Please fix it up Gaigin.

Fun fact, Chally 1 was in service before the Mk.10 Chieftain

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Actually, I still needing 120k research points to unlock it. Anyway after last update Chieftains Mk3 and MK5 are being nerf especially when useing HESH.

Yesterday i faced a Leo A1 i need to shot him three times in front with HESH and only kill his driver and set a fire in him then he kill me by one shot with APDS in me turret. 

Also there is a far gap between MK5 MK3 and new tanks they like a nightmare. Really i'm very disappointing from bad performance of my lovely Chieftains.

And to be honest i think MK10 has a same bad performance as stock with more armored turret until unlock APDFS make it little better.

** i need tips about

How i can destroy T64A and MBTs ?!! 

Which kind of ammo i should to use ??

medal medal medal

t64a has a very weak lower frontal plate and sides, if you can shoot it in the frontal part even if hes angling you can kill it. the mbt70 you should shoot it allways in the turret, if hes facing you shoot the left side, if it doesnt kill it it should at least kill the gunner and comander.

allways use apds, apfsds in the mk10

Edited by zuadao
  • Thanks 1

No trouble killing things with the L23 (praise the lord) but I wish they'd fix the maneuverability of tanks with less primitive transmission/suspension. I'm quite happy with the straight line speed of the Chieftains if only they has at least some agility.

As a side note, does anyone have any idea why the Mk. 5 is going up to 8.7 at the coming BR patch when the almost identical Mk. 3 is staying at 8.0? It might actually make 8.0 UK quite fun but does seem odd and rather kills the Mk. 5.

medal medal medal

Isn't the UFP of the Chieftain supposed to be 120mm? I know Wiki is an asbsolite **** source but it states the MK X UFP at 120mm in contrast to the 70-80mm on the earlier Chieftains.

120mm at 72° is going to be quite impressive against APFSDS shells it has a line of sight of more than 360mm and should be able to deflect most shells at more than 500m.

Now if we could get the Chieftain MK10 at 9.0 with a Bulldozer blade to protect the LFP and a 120mm UFp then it would actually be a armored bunker from the front again.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

20 hours ago, Markus752 said:

Isn't the UFP of the Chieftain supposed to be 120mm? I know Wiki is an asbsolite **** source but it states the MK X UFP at 120mm in contrast to the 70-80mm on the earlier Chieftains.

120mm at 72° is going to be quite impressive against APFSDS shells it has a line of sight of more than 360mm and should be able to deflect most shells at more than 500m.

Now if we could get the Chieftain MK10 at 9.0 with a Bulldozer blade to protect the LFP and a 120mm UFp then it would actually be a armored bunker from the front again.

There are some real debates on the frontal thickness of the Chieftain. One older source stated 120mm, however that is extremely unlikely and may be based on earlier design specs that never made it into the full thing. Then there's a few people who claim it's 85mm, however their sources are either usually Soviet or from one WoT "researcher" who really was just a fanboy with a massive anti-British streak that was caught red handed trying to pass off Soviet propaganda magazines as a primary source, who stuck a bunch of post it notes on the hull of a Chieftain as his "proof", with no independent backing up.

Note that the curator of Bovington, David Willie states that the frontal slope had somewhere in the reason of 15 inches effective, and I'd trust him a hell of a lot further than others, especially given Bovington if anything is usually quite proactive in highlighting negatives about British tanks, so they're hardly a source of bias 'for'. That was in a summary talk though, and he did say "up to", so it won't be a complete coverage, almost certainly.

Reality is more likely somewhere in between and heavily varied depending on the part of the hull itself, stronger than many imply, but no-where near the full on 120mm all over that some sources claim.

Edited by TheFuzzieOne
  • Upvote 2
medal

I was happy with my talismaned Chieftain mk3 until 1.69, so when I came up for a T5 ride in 1.71 I thought "let's go for the mk10, it should be the same, but better, unlike the mk5!" 

Now, 2/3 of the way, I'm kind of disheartened. 

Chieftains used to be able to hold their own against other T5 tanks, compensating poor mobility with decent turret armour (meaning somewhat better than 0) and an outstanding gun able to shred anything, at any range, from any angle (almost). 

Then T6 came. 

Now playing the (supposedly) best British tanks in the game feels pretty much like playing Japanese reserves. 

Maps are swarmed by MBT/PZ70 and T-64s that VASTLY outclass Chieftains in EVERY. POSSIBLE. WAY. 

- Twice as fast (if not even more), they cap, flank and rush ambush positions while Chieftains barely crawl out of the spawn zone:

- Heavily armored, unless caught pants down they are impervious to the stock shells of the Chief (which incidentally, in case of the mk3 and mk5, are also the ONLY ONES available), requiring a very accurate or lucky hit in tiny weak spots to be successfully penetrated;

- While, on the opposite side, they return fire with a rain of autoloaded ATGMs and/or APDSFS making Chieftain's armour completely irrelevant, at almost twice the fire rate achieved by a Chief with fully trained reload+command skills and expert qualification. 

So, while and slowly advancing through this grind, or to put it straight, while "dying my way" through, I progressively realized I'm currently facing this pain of constantly being the underdog (not to mention being little more than a dead weight for my team), with the ultimate goal of unlocking the mk10, and then STILL CONTINUE to be the underdog, since the mk10 WON'T be any better than the mk3 and the mk5, except for an extra armor plate on the turret with a giant weak spot in the middle, and the option to fire APDSFS, at 450 SL each, but only after researching up to them with the usual stock rounds. 

Then yesterday I tried my first test drive with the MBT70. 

I was simply astonished. 

No way any Chieftain can be even remotely considered somewhat on par with such tanks. 

Now I call myself a fool for not having been going for one of these since the beginning. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

4 minutes ago, Serpiko82 said:

I was happy with my talismaned Chieftain mk3 until 1.69, so when I came up for a T5 ride in 1.71 I thought "let's go for the mk10, it should be the same, but better, unlike the mk5!" 

Now, 2/3 of the way, I'm kind of disheartened. 

Chieftains used to be able to hold their own against other T5 tanks, compensating poor mobility with decent turret armour (meaning somewhat better than 0) and an outstanding gun able to shred anything, at any range, from any angle (almost). 

Then T6 came. 

Now playing the (supposedly) best British tanks in the game feels pretty much like playing Japanese reserves. 

Maps are swarmed by MBT/PZ70 and T-64s that VASTLY outclass Chieftains in EVERY. POSSIBLE. WAY. 

- Twice as fast (if not even more), they cap, flank and rush ambush positions while Chieftains barely crawl out of the spawn zone:

- Heavily armored, unless caught pants down they are impervious to the stock shells of the Chief (which incidentally, in case of the mk3 and mk5, are also the ONLY ONES available), requiring a very accurate or lucky hit in tiny weak spots to be successfully penetrated;

- While, on the opposite side, they return fire with a rain of autoloaded ATGMs and/or APDSFS making Chieftain's armour completely irrelevant, at almost twice the fire rate achieved by a Chief with fully trained reload+command skills and expert qualification. 

So, while and slowly advancing through this grind, or to put it straight, while "dying my way" through, I progressively realized I'm currently facing this pain of constantly being the underdog (not to mention being little more than a dead weight for my team), with the ultimate goal of unlocking the mk10, and then STILL CONTINUE to be the underdog, since the mk10 WON'T be any better than the mk3 and the mk5, except for an extra armor plate on the turret with a giant weak spot in the middle, and the option to fire APDSFS, at 450 SL each, but only after researching up to them with the usual stock rounds. 

Then yesterday I tried my first test drive with the MBT70. 

I was simply astonished. 

No way any Chieftain can be even remotely considered somewhat on par with such tanks. 

Now I call myself a fool for not having been going for one of these since the beginning. 

I had the same feeling till i got the mk10. Dude you'll be ok with it! Turret front armor is unpennable, only the german atgm can penn it. Yesterday i had a 10:0 round. Hull down on the flank and ohk every tank. You need to chill with chieftain and just wait near a cap point. Its boring but thats what it fits for the chief. Mk3 and Mk5 is pain but Mk10 rules with the turret armor and apfsds!

medal medal medal

43 minutes ago, Trogerr said:

I had the same feeling till i got the mk10. Dude you'll be ok with it! Turret front armor is unpennable, only the german atgm can penn it. Yesterday i had a 10:0 round. Hull down on the flank and ohk every tank. You need to chill with chieftain and just wait near a cap point. Its boring but thats what it fits for the chief. Mk3 and Mk5 is pain but Mk10 rules with the turret armor and apfsds!

I sure hope you're right. One of the reasons I like(d) the Chieftain is that it fits my playstyle: wide flanking, find nice spot, cover a broad area with deadly gun. 

But it just doesn't work when enemies are so much faster than you that they beat you to any good spot and your gun isn't deadly anymore.  

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• Gelesztaa changed the title to Chieftain MK 10