Chieftain MK 10

Hi guys,

i thought this was a good time to start a topic regarding the Chieftain MK 10 and its performance in 1.71. I unlocked the Tank on Thursday, thanks to a talisman on the chieftain mk3 i once won and some permium time (and the incredible incompetence of some walletwarrior KPZ drivers) the grind went pretty smoothly. By now i have played some 50 matches with it, the winrate is at 55ish% i i archive roughly a 2to1 KD with it. By the looks of it the chieftain performs pretty well against its counterparts, imho better that the MK3 and 5. The playstile pretty much is the same compared to its predecessors but it is simply a lot better at - find a nice hulldown spot dig in and lock an area down. Now if played correctly the MK 10 is almost invincible in these positions. Except the HOT raketen jagtpanzer there is nothing ingame that goes through that armor. Now for the firepower: just excellent the L23 kills everything no matter what range - bounces are really rare and a frontal center mass hit most of the time means game over. 

If you manage to stay the whole match in the chieftains natural habitat you are fine, none of the other  new tanks outperforms you and if there is a pesky HOT just have an eye on him and go turretdown when a missile is incoming it will leave you enought time to do your lockdown duties. 

However if the chieftain has to leave its precious hulldown spot things get problematic. You got a slow unwieldy tank which lower frontal armor could as well be wet tissue paper. Unsurprisingly it is seriously lagging behind in the mobility department and has the slowest reload of the new 8.7s. A spontan sniping duel at range with a KPz is absolutely to be avoided. The kpz reloads a lot faster and can fire agtm while on the move, so it can dodge you shots but you have no chance to evade it. seriously, the kpz can go backwards in a zig-zag pattern faster than the chieftain forwards in a straight line and while it does that it can guide fully stabilized atgm into its target - one every 6 second - try to beat that at long range! The t-64 and the chieftain meet at even terms again if you get caught on open ground you are at an disadvantage but since neither the reload nor the mobility are on par with the kpz you got more of a chance.

So far i like the MK 10 very much probably because just just some more of the same im already used from the other chieftains however im concerned that strength in hulldown positions will lead to a nerf sooner or later - either armor or firepower wise - or both.

Another thing is that it is really hard to carry a game in the chieftain: 

capping points? - nah, kpz and t-64 will already be there.

Sitting in a nice spot but the battle is on the other side of the map? - happens.

Leaving this spot to help your teammates? battle is probably over before you arrive.

As a support for the american mbt the chieftains most of the time gets teamed up with however it is just perfect.

What are your thoughts and experiences?

• Upvote 7
medal medal medal medal

Pretty much the same story with my games. Mobility feels about the same as stock mk.3. APFSDS is the only munition worth shooting with this thing. Hull down it's strong but you can't win games by being hull down. It's a one trick pony. It can't hold a candle to the other tier 6 tanks when it comes to brawling and overall flexibility. Literally the only thing going for this tank over the other 2 is the block of steel on the turret, nothing else.

• Upvote 3

What is the point of stillbrew if APCBC one shots through commanders cupola and cannon barrel? T10M can just shoot my cannon barrel and that shell goes through my cannon barrel to inside of the tank and explodes. I dont know what else to say really..

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I can't count how many times I've been breeched in the thing. Stillbrew is nice and so is the APFSDS, but it isn't the same upgrade compared to M60A1 -> MBT-70, Leopard a1a1 -> KPZ-70, T-62 -> t-64. 

No idea why, but Chieftain has one of the worst turn rates of any tank I've ever played, and I have all of the engine upgrades. 

• Upvote 4
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

4 hours ago, ARedneckSquirel said:

Stillbrew doesn't even work probably 30% of the time, HEATFS from leopards makes it through the cheeks, MBT70s do, it's xxxx sad they cant even model it right, but then again, what do they have modeled right on the cheiftain

situation normal :/

getting shot in the turret front always seems to result in losing the gun.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, Ghost_Rider12 said:

situation normal :/

getting shot in the turret front always seems to result in losing the gun.

Probably because everyone and their mother aims for the gun, maybe if we didn't have pixel-sized shells (and the Chieftain turret armor wasn't badly modelled) it wouldn't happen.

• Upvote 6
medal medal medal

5 hours ago, Ometius93 said:

Probably because everyone and their mother aims for the gun, maybe if we didn't have pixel-sized shells (and the Chieftain turret armor wasn't badly modelled) it wouldn't happen.

Yep that happens way to often. I atrribute it to the short combat distances so aiming at weakspots is a option at all. One of the first matches in the chieftain i lost my cannon on every f..... hit i almost started to file a bugreport..  Best solution for this issue is to never stay stationary, pop up fire and emidiately go back to a turretdown possition. If the enemy has enought time to get a shot off its most likely not that well aimed.

medal medal medal medal

This tank should excel in maps like fulda or kursk, but that s it.  Apart from any issues stemming from inaccurate armor modeling or APDS/APFSDS performances.  The mobility is just so important, the game is designed upon rushing and gunning, all modes even SB. Once you ll have to extend from a position, you re in danger. You won t be able to go far, as every russian is now firing APFSDS. You dont actually need to have 10000 games to be able to aim with those rounds..

I ve already grinded a 70k rp chunk, but am not gonna touch this process for a good period of time ( maybe if they ll un nerf HESH so I ll be able to use my talismaned cent mk10, till then). I am getting myself the mbt 70, It wont have the turret armor, or that l23, but you get an extremely mobile platform, capable of using both AP FS DS and ATGM. Ming boggling, the level of versatility for this thing. You also have a 20mm gun for countering plane spam. Honestly I am just getting the mbt for that 20mm on the roof, just to shoot down il28s. 

medal medal medal medal medal

This topic seems so gloomy. I have had pretty much GREAT experience with 1.71 so far in Mk3 and Mk5 APDS only (!).

I feel like Mk10 will be a freaking blast. 70k RP to go.

Edited by Phelpsiee
  • Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Yup I love it, It's a very good tank, mobility isn't much a problem if you open your eyes you can caught those MBT/KPZ that rush into position with the L23, it's pretty much always a one shot because your got 4 crew members where other get only 3. Actually, the turret armor is really strong, the only thing that feel very wrong is that solid shot in the turret still explode.

T6 is the best place to show that the Chieftain Mk.3 / 5 and 10 are the best overall tanks, if the L15A3 was corrected it would be the best lineup at 8.7 (Pretty sure it's actually the best lineup tho.)

Edited by StalkerSoC
medal medal medal medal medal

7 hours ago, StalkerSoC said:

Yup I love it, It's a very good tank, mobility isn't much a problem if you open your eyes you can caught those MBT/KPZ that rush into position with the L23, it's pretty much always a one shot because your got 4 crew members where other get only 3. Actually, the turret armor is really strong, the only thing that feel very wrong is that solid shot in the turret still explode.

T6 is the best place to show that the Chieftain Mk.3 / 5 and 10 are the best overall tanks, if the L15A3 was corrected it would be the best lineup at 8.7 (Pretty sure it's actually the best lineup tho.)

Don't get me wrong; it's a solid tank and a solid lineup and for the most part it excels  at 8.7. 

But still Brew is bugged and rounds and missiles without enough penetration to go through make it through on a pretty regular basis

medal medal medal medal medal medal

Berlin.

4 kills.

Not a scratch.

One by parachute HESH (oh I love those kills) at silly Raketen hiding behind the mound near spawn.

Three by APFSDS, just aimed center mass and watched KPz, Leopard and T-64 go bye bye.

Only one match so far, could have been lucky of course.. But.. Apart from the HESH tries (8 times I randomly shot at Raketen's position), I only spent 3 APFSDS. 3 successful APFSDS. 

15 minutes ago, Phelpsiee said:

Berlin.

4 kills.

Not a scratch.

One by parachute HESH (oh I love those kills) at silly Raketen hiding behind the mound near spawn.

Three by APFSDS, just aimed center mass and watched KPz, Leopard and T-64 go bye bye.

Only one match so far, could have been lucky of course.. But.. Apart from the HESH tries (8 times I randomly shot at Raketen's position), I only spent 3 APFSDS. 3 successful APFSDS. 

You should be able to bag 5-10 tanks with T-64A and MBT/KPz by doing the same.;)

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal

7 minutes ago, Loongsheep said:

You should be able to bag 5-10 tanks with T-64A and MBT/KPz by doing the same.;)

Problem is, I dislike Soviet design of tanks, I deem them plain ugly and hard to look at. Of course, you are not playing for the looks, but.. It's a put off for me.

And I am still only at T-44.

I could go MBT, why not, but right now, I want to enjoy Mark 10.

As for KPZ, I am now at Panther A.. Sooo..

I was always mostly US/UK player, which made me kind of ignore other countries.

Edited by Phelpsiee
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Phelpsiee said:

Problem is, I dislike Soviet design of tanks, I deem them plain ugly and hard to look at. Of course, you are not playing for the looks, but.. It's a put off for me.

And I am still only at T-44.

I could go MBT, why not, but right now, I want to enjoy Mark 10.

As for KPZ, I am now at Panther A.. Sooo..

I was always mostly US/UK player, which made me kind of ignore other countries.

Actually... same here.

I have no tanks other than US/UK pass tier 4. I do like the IS-2 though, a smooth and balanced sillouette from Russia.

It doesn't help that I build 1/16 and 1/35 US/UK tank models almost exclusively.

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal

Well, initial orgasm is past. 

My latency of course is totally ***** up (my shot won't leave a barrel plenty of times), but it doesn't matter, because Chieftain is underperforming at Rank VI. 

Mobility is the important factor there to be honest. Every Tier VI has it, but Chief. 

Or I have been unlucky at getting shat CQ maps. My initial winrate, when I got lucky for maps like Fulda or even Berlin, has gone to gutter, because the tank simply cannot compete, unless it has a good hull down position. 

And even when I find it, my team dies so fast, that KPz or even T-64 just flanks my position and surprises me. The Chieftain is so sluggish to even rotate as its real life counterpart to actually have a chance at flanker. But if you are at hul down position and you try to help your turret traverse by neutral steering, you are in for a nasty surprise.

I also am unlucky at the fact, I mostly play against GER/RU. Fun fact, MBT drivers, even when they're having the same tank, are even bigger potatoes, than KPz drivers.

Also, you can see the laziness of allies. It even concerns me. I got so used to RP-3, I bomb like an idiot. RP-3 are of course, totally useless, thanks for that nerf.

Arados/Horten dominate CAS in high tiers now. Short sighted solution to nerf RP-3, what was wrong about the idea of plane's points to be higher, so that "J"-walkers wouldn't get it only after capping a point? As far as I am concerned, I noticed people at 5.7 - 6.7 Germany saying, that it was a slight "help" towards a balance. 

Cupola MG would be a welcome sight at targeting CAS, even if it helps a little.

Mk10 is not the highest BR material. Not even close. Unless there is something done to its mobility, Gaijin can stick it.

So far KD ratio: jumping between 1,5 - 2,0 (not bad I think)

Winrate thoguh? 40%

Maps I like (from the top of my mind): Fulda, Sinai, Berlin, Mozdok (large one), Japan. 

Poland has great spots, but too many flanking options even for Raketen, who doesn't give a crap about your Stillbrew,

Factory, which I get most of the time, I hate it. Hull down? Oh please. Just wait for that KPz to be at your spawn in 20secs. This map has no place at War Thunder, no matter the tier. Period.

Just a few I could think of.

Edited by Phelpsiee
  • Upvote 2

Nothing like getting your cannon destroyed at least twice a game when anything bigger than a machine gun takes a shot at you. I have no idea how all the chieftains suffer from this. Every shot even somewhat near your gun disables it and after that you're done since you can't run away.

2 hours ago, powerbeaver said:

Nothing like getting your cannon destroyed at least twice a game when anything bigger than a machine gun takes a shot at you. I have no idea how all the chieftains suffer from this. Every shot even somewhat near your gun disables it and after that you're done since you can't run away.

Exactly. Meanwhile my shots landing next to the gun of T-64A does nothing (when they should pen and destroy breech).

What I dislike even more is, how easy it is to damage breach and kill commander + loader at one shot. 

Edited by Phelpsiee

Now after 2 weeks a little update. Thanks to the repaircost i burned through about 1m sl already. Ervery bs that can make wt frustrating  gets amplified a lot by the ridiculous repair bill ( once my l23 failed to penn a leos side for instance only for the leo to cook off the apds shots stored in my turret - multilayer BS).  The skilllevel of mbt/kpz drivers has risen a lot too and somehow they manage to explore what this tank is able to by now. In short: live got a lot harder at top tier battles and im considering quitting for a while. There are several typical scenarios.

1. my team gets stomped while im still getting in position and i get mk103 strafed by a horton jokey only to get swarmed by kpz from several directions.

2. i have the luck to be in a somewhat cometent team, find a nice spot only to get an atgm right under my cannon barrel where fragments penn the ufp an cook of my ammo.

3. one atgm every 6 second at 2+km by a kpz that is probably not even rendered - so much fun!

4. kpz swarm me shortly after i get out of spawn often i manage to get one first but they come rarely alone.. 

5. every second match is abandoned factory - need i say more?

Im really curious how gaijin planns so balance t6. T-64 and chieftain can sit on the same br for what i care - if the chief had the same reload as the t-64 it would be comletely fair imho. But what to do with the mbt/kpz? Either nerf it hard (there would be some historical options eg. removing the ability of firing an agtm every 6 seconds) or uptier it. Imho this tank is so superior in its versatility that an uptier is the only solution but it would be completely meaningless as long there are no other as powerfull vehicles it could get matched up with.

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal

• Gelesztaa changed the title to Chieftain MK 10