How to maximize your impact in tank battles and improve your win rate?

I have added three sections:

• a brief comparison between AB/RB/SB and why a good player should play all modes (and will improve doing so);
  • a section about prioritizing targets depending on situations;
  • a final section about cheating (What cheaters can and cannot do? How to identify them? How to report them properly?) and combat etiquette.

Other sections were also improved (mention of the "kill list" thread, being able to abandon a cap to the enemy, fighting early spawn-killing in RB...)

Edited by No_Camping
  • Thanks 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Yet another in depth tutorial from No_Camping!

Also good comments from other forum members it all helps us new to the game.

Thanks for this.

All best

• Thanks 1
medal

@No_Camping Excellent write up, there are many players, even those with 10k-20k battles under their belts, that could take some seriously good advice from what you've written rather than endlessly complain on forums. This should be required reading, honestly, particularly for the German teams that I've been on a lot lately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal

@Chowdog and @xF4LC0NxPUNCHx Thanks, guys!

On 05/03/2019 at 18:31, xF4LC0NxPUNCHx said:

This should be required reading, honestly, particularly for the German teams that I've been on a lot lately. 

In particular, the Tier 4 German teams are particularly passive in RB and I could not find another explanation for that then a non PC one (involving "one-nation players" that I address in my tutorial, and something starting by "Wer" and ending in "boos"). Anyway, with the BR increase of many US and French tanks in AB and RB around BR 6.7-7.0 (and the BR decrease in RB of the Panther II, Tiger II 10.5cm, Jpz 4-5...), I guess that the German line-up will do better there.

Interestingly enough, try to make the list of all tanks in the game with a lower BR in RB than in AB, including some for which there is no justification for that (hello Wilberwing, Pz. IV G and F2, KV-1B... Oh damn, I gave you a hint!).

Edited by No_Camping
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

most of the matches i have played,  very few or no one on my team listened to my radio message to cap the closest point and point B or A at the mid to gain superiority and i m always get snipped by the enemy TD camping on the other side of the map behind rocks or high ground. Getting pinned down by the enemy and got no help from the team. 

On 16/07/2019 at 11:07, campingisfornoob said:

most of the matches i have played,  very few or no one on my team listened to my radio message to cap the closest point and point B or A at the mid to gain superiority and i m always get snipped by the enemy TD camping on the other side of the map behind rocks or high ground. Getting pinned down by the enemy and got no help from the team.  

First, I obviously like your pseudo. :good:
Second, if your teammates do not listen, go cap yourself and make the important kills doing so (and get some extra RP/SL in the process). With more experience (after all, you have 180 times less battle than me :DD), you will learn the best routes to take to avoid those campers. And remember that campers have the advantage of being partially hidden behind obstacles/hills. So do not camp them unless you have good coverage (but then, you become a camper yourself). Do not camp the campers. Except on a very few maps played at BR 10.0, campers are mostly unharmful, especially at Tier 1-4 and in most Tier 5-7 battles and you should hence simply ignore them (meaning, watch your routes to avoid them, but do not try to kill them, unless it is necessary, or using planes in AB).

Once the game is virtually won, they usually die fast as your team approaches the enemy spawn.  Always keep in mind that most campers are camping because they do not know what else to do since they are usually mediocre players. In 1v1 they are usually easy to deal with if you can approach them sufficiently using routes under cover.

Edited by No_Camping

I still feel the impact of a single player is limited, especially in larger games.

Just a few days ago, American desert I believe, I captured every single zone and got 10-15 kills along the way trying to defend the zones. We still lost because my team was dropping like flies, only single spawns.. enemy spawns 2-5 times for the most part.

At one point we had 20 kills, the enemy had 10 kills total, yet we have 7 people leave and they only lost 3, and that's a pattern that repeats itself a lot.

I'm not an amazing player either, but I get my captures, kills, support teammates, make callouts, move to locations where the enemy is pinning down my team and whatnot, but there only is so much you can do. 

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 18/07/2019 at 03:48, Miragen said:

I still feel the impact of a single player is limited, especially in larger games.

Well, sorry to totally disagree. Yet, it does not mean that a good player will be able to "carry" all games.

By definition, an average player would normally lose around 50% of his games. A good player (probably following most of the tips of the present tutorial) is able to turn a fraction of these games.
Even if a player succeeds in decisively helping to win only 1/5 of the 50% of games that an average player would have lost, his win rate would jump to 60%. Believe me, I know plenty of players winning 60-75% of their battles playing alone at any BR with mostly any not too stupidly bad line-up.

And again, if you put 4 players with 50% win rate in a squad, they will not magically win 70% of their games, and will only marginally increase their win rate, only if they have actually an efficient shared strategy (not too common, by definition, for average players). Of course, if 2 to 4 players with already a big individual impact squad together, they can achieve huge win rates (80-90% depending on the BR/line-up).

Edited by No_Camping

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I feel like it's also useful (especially with slow tanks) to have a path to retreat in case a bomb dropped right next to you. I find a lot that tankers die when a bomb dropped right next to them but they don't know or can't retreat.

• Upvote 1

On 20/03/2020 at 23:50, Werstsoldier said:

I feel like it's also useful (especially with slow tanks) to have a path to retreat in case a bomb dropped right next to you. I find a lot that tankers die when a bomb dropped right next to them but they don't know or can't retreat.

Having an exit plan is always a good thing to keep in mind but a lot of tanks just do not have that option (slow turning/reverse/overall). There's so many examples that could be listed, best bet in those tanks is to not put yourself in the line of fire in the first place and keep you head on a swivel with free-look and binoculars doing occasional sweeps. 

You're especially screwed if a bomb drops right next to you in one of those unmaneuverable tanks, there really is no way to counter it except using buildings and trees to keep out of sight from aircraft (when available).

As a pilot coming in with bombs if I see a good target and it takes cover behind a building or cliff or something, I will come around for a second pass at a more favorable approach, but if the tank is a fast mover like an M18 or RU251 and books it after I pass and start to come around I usually lose it and search for another target.

@No_Camping

I just started to read/skim through the tutorial and I've noticed that you talk about an example of campers overlooking zones on Mozdok and Tunisia - recently the capture zones were "re-ordered" or "renamed", so there might be some confusion about it.

Just to let you know about this small thing - please continue your excellent work here! :happy:

• Thanks 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, michiyl said:

@No_Camping

I just started to read/skim through the tutorial and I've noticed that you talk about an example of campers overlooking zones on Mozdok and Tunisia - recently the capture zones were "re-ordered" or "renamed", so there might be some confusion about it.

Just to let you know about this small thing - please continue your excellent work here! :happy:

Yeah I know. I have actually updated the labels in this tutorial, so they should be fine. But on the map tutorial, I am using the cap labels as shown in the map screenshots included in the post. But in my next videos, I will obviously use their new labels.
Thanks for your encouragements!

Edited by No_Camping
  • Upvote 1

I have added the following section

Learn about the maps: a very good knowledge of the maps is mandatory to become and accomplished tanker. You should try to discover the fastest and safest routes between critical positions on a given map, and in particular, between the cap areas. It is also important to know the good shooting (and even camping...) spots on a map, and definitely to be able to avoid the bad ones... But most importantly, your advanced knowledge of the maps and of what the teams usually do on them will allow you to develop your strategic skills, to define your plan at the start of the battle, and to update it during the battle.

Ultimately, this tactical knowledge will give you a decisive advantage on the battlefield and will also make the game even more interesting for you! After reading the present tutorial, you can consult my other tutorial also pinned in this forum section which is devoted to "Strategic tips for difficult ground battle maps" which strongly focuses on the notion of connected zones in Domination battles. This tutorial features many videos which are collected in the following playlist.

Do not hesitate to subscribe to my YouTube channel to get the latest tutorial videos!

Edited by No_Camping

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Dny_Xy said:

Read about how to play tanks, get bombed by planes 5 games in a row.  :DD 

Did you read the part about "being mobile"? :017:
Bombers and artillery will in priority target big groups of static tanks... Hence, don't be static, and do not join big groups of allied tanks, or otherwise... :burned:
Here is a nice illustration of that:

Edited by No_Camping

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/01/2021 at 12:52, Chris000Lim said:

A very good post however not many people knows about how to win they are just thinking as you say *getting kills*

Well, I think that many players are not "thinking" that much. But trying to win (which seems a natural focus in a competitive game) also makes the game so much more interesting.

1 minute ago, No_Camping said:

Well, I think that many players are not "thinking" that much. But trying to win (which seems a natural focus in a competitive game) also makes the game so much more interesting.

well, most people open up their wallet and start thinking about it when they get killed. after that they accuse people with +60% winrates of being a cheater cause they cant accept the fact that they hard to say it but simply succ lol:dntknw:

• Thanks 1