thedoom7734

How to snipe efficiently in Ground RB

How to snipe efficiently

For a long time, I wasn't aware of the most efficient way to range find and hit targets at longer ranges.

This caused me to be terrible at hitting even stationary targets when they were far away.

People said to me "Git gud" or "L2P", it was frustrating and no one never answered to my questions.

In this guide, I provide you with my knowledge and how you could increase your accuracy when sniping at longer distances in ground realistic battles. 

For most of the time, I see people just shooting at the enemies at longer ranges relying on their intuition and experience in the game. I've done the same thing before and it's good way to deal with the enemies if you're experienced with the tank and the shell you're using. This requires many hours of playing (for me at least) with a tank to really get efficient at ranging the enemy. 

There is a solution for you, if you want to be able to range the shots and be accurate at longer ranges. You have an actual rangefinder that you can use in the game; go to 

1. Menu
  2. Controls
  3. Tank control
  4. Miscellaneous

There you can find "Rangefinder". You can assign a button that you press to use this rangefinder in battle. You can also use the "Sight distance control" when using this rangefinder. It's easier to precisely control the x-axis when sniping using this feature. Also, you can move and turn your turret; the distance where you set the gun at, remains the same. This also enables you to aim at the weak points of the enemy tank at long ranges.

597762e7d68a0_shot2017_07_2518_24_25.thuDistance (300m) is provided by the rangefinder.

597763171b1bc_shot2017_07_2518_24_55.thuI line the gun using the "Sight distance control"-feature...

59776372bce71_shot2017_07_2518_25_06.thuDirect hit! Target destroyed

These screenshots were taken in the Tank polygon user mission http://live.warthunder.com/post/291945/en/ made by _Gilard_.

• Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal

dont get me wrong but do you really need rangefinder at distance 300m? do you need "Sight distance control"-feature instead of moving your mouse 1mm up? sometimes a fraction of a second decides who dies. also how many rb players dont know about rangefinder? is this guide for beginners? most beginners dont have acces to high tier vehicles with high velocity ammo and most pros know about rangefinder.

19 minutes ago, gienek26 said:

dont get me wrong but do you really need rangefinder at distance 300m? do you need "Sight distance control"-feature instead of moving your mouse 1mm up? 

Yeah, you're right in some of the points you made. I could've driven for few minutes to get >1km from these targets and then shown how it works on the longer ranges. 

Do I need the "Sight distance control" or rangefinder at a distance of 300m? Nope, I don't use those features at ranges under 1km so please don't get me wrong. I used them at those ranges to showcase the features and decided that new players would understand my point better, if I provided some pictures. 

25 minutes ago, gienek26 said:

is this guide for beginners? most beginners dont have acces to high tier vehicles with high velocity ammo and most pros know about rangefinder.

Yeah, this guide is mainly for beginners. I've however seen many players miss terribly at br 6.7, so maybe some of those could also use these features. Also, we're now on the "Army Academy" section of the forum, this section is meant to contain some tips that new players could read and get better at the game. With very fast search, I couldn't find any good threads on how to use these features and felt like sharing some points would be good.

Also, these features can be used even with the low velocity "derp" guns. If these features are used correctly, you can be very accurate with tanks like KV-2 and SU-122 at longer ranges. 

22 minutes ago, gienek26 said:

sometimes a fraction of a second decides who dies.

Yeah, that's why you don't start this range finding when you're close to the enemy unless you use it to provide "indirect fire" with KV-2 (for example). Also, I pointed this out:

7 hours ago, thedoom7734 said:

For most of the time, I see people just shooting at the enemies at longer ranges relying on their intuition and experience in the game. I've done the same thing before and it's good way to deal with the enemies if you're experienced with the tank and the shell you're using. 

• Upvote 1