Rasenzan

The curse of the Furball

15 posts in this topic

Hello everyone 

So, during a match I was flying my new G.55 when I saw an enemy PBJ doing CAS. I shot it down with ease. (BnZ)

The problem came when ,as soon as I disengaged, a whole group of 6 planes was on my six, forcing me into a turn fight with my death as a result.

This is not the first time I get stuck inside this horrible strategy and I'm quite sick and tired of it.

Is it possibile to break this "trap" or is just a dead end? (Arcade Battles)

Thanks for your answers

Edited by Rasenzan

Unless you can outrun them, no. There is no way out. 

To prevent such situations you should always check your surroundings before and during the engagement.

You typically have only a small time window until someone notices your low, slow, and distracted fighter. So you should work fast and don't follow your target into enemy territory. 

Low and slow = dead. That goes for all modes, not just Arcade.

Don't get too focused on the target. Check your surroundings for potential threats and don't engage if your odds aren't great. Like Lord_of_Sofa said, enemies will be looking for targets flying low and slow and they'll quickly overwhelm you.

And leave the poor PBJs alone, they have a very hard life being piñatas for the fighters :(.

There's little point in booming without planned zooming. Perhaps you stayed a little too long on target before making your escape, losing energy in the process.

Alternatively, learn to embrace the furball for the fun that it most definitely can be. Furballing at high tiers is not recommended unless you have the best turnfighters at your control.

Edited by Pat_McGherkin

2 hours ago, Rasenzan said:

Hello everyone 

So, during a match I was flying my new G.55 when I saw an enemy PBJ doing CAS. I shot it down with ease. (BnZ)

The problem came when ,as soon as I disengaged, a whole group of 6 planes was on my six, forcing me into a turn fight with my death as a result.

This is not the first time I get stuck inside this horrible strategy and I'm quite sick and tired of it.

Thanks for your answers

Playing RB is a good furball prevention :)

I like to BnZ opponents that are themselves trying to escape the furball. Try doing that instead.  The ones that are slow and trying to climb away to make another attack. Also, always try to set yourself up so that after you B, you can Z towards friendly fighters that are looking for an easy kill. If they are good experienced non-spawn camping players they will see the planes following you for what they are, an easy kill. Try to set your chasing enemy up for your teammates by bringing the meat to the grill, so to speak.

12 hours ago, Rasenzan said:

Hello everyone 

Thanks for your answers

The only way, i see it, even though how bleak it may sound, is to have superior speed advantage at all times

16 hours ago, Blafirelli said:

Playing RB is a good furball prevention :)

That's a belief.

My belief tends to say that the furball is smaller as teams are smaller too, but it remains.

Plan your attack well, and if you care about surviving, disengage early. It won't get you massive killstreaks, but allows you to rack up rather neat scores without dying nonetheless

furball happens when enemy planes stick together. You never see ppl fly five finger formations anyway so spontaneous or not so spontaneous swarm of homies is like the next best thing. Sometimes saying in chat - guys lets stick together is enough for a blue furball to form and as long as you stay in it and furball remains your scenario is less likely to happen.

I usually try to keep in mind "never dive on the first plane you see."

I try to keep climbing until it's relatively certain that the vast majority of the enemy team has been spotted or at least I've seen their dots in the sky so that I have an idea of where they are. Once you've got a pretty good feel for where everyone on your and the opposing team is spread out, now you can much more safely dive on the poor PBJ as you know that you're a lot less likely to get murderballed or you'll know that you've got plenty of hungry teammates waiting for you to drag someone back up into them.

I just survived my first 6.3 br German mission and guess how? I stayed away from the massive jet infused furball at the center of the map. Just like the 1.3br Italians I play. Amazing how it effects almost every br.

In order to avoid these situations you need to be thinking like 1-2 minutes ahead of yourself.  Many times you will make a decision that, will put you in a situation with no way out later.  Experience will help you survey a situation and be able to predict whether or not you will be putting yourself in one of those no-win situations later.  However, a lot of times, despite those best efforts, there are things you didn't predict or couldn't have predicted (and enemy in the clouds that you never knew was there for instance) and you die anyway.

21 hours ago, cashmeowsidehbd said:

I just survived my first 6.3 br German mission and guess how? I stayed away from the massive jet infused furball at the center of the map. Just like the 1.3br Italians I play. Amazing how it effects almost every br.

jet maps puzzle me still. It seems like jets can cover map from edge to edge quite easily and there is no safer space except up. Rolling out a b 29 is always like suicide mission. I know how to disappear on maps up to br 5.7 but not on jet maps. Glad to be wrong here.

2 hours ago, StratosBear said:

jet maps puzzle me still. It seems like jets can cover map from edge to edge quite easily and there is no safer space except up. Rolling out a b 29 is always like suicide mission. I know how to disappear on maps up to br 5.7 but not on jet maps. Glad to be wrong here.

I was quite surprised to say the least! I guess they were flying to fast between kills to notice me.