HighDude

Why did v1 flying bombs have to be rammed instead of shot down?

9 posts in this topic

The Fi.103 had a warhead of ~850kg of Amatol. Shooting down the rocket may have caused the warhead to detonate mid-air and endanger the pilot at ranges that they can aim at it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They didn't ram them! :lol2:

 

They flew very close, so that the wingtip of the RAF plane was a few metres from the V1, the airflow off of the RAF plane's wing would push the V1 over, and it's primitive control system could not counter the effect, so it would spin out of control and fall into the sea.

 

Firing guns at the flying bomb would lead to the V1s explosion destroying the RAF plane.

Edited by alexmcguiness
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, alexmcguiness said:

They didn't ram them! :lol2:

 

They flew very close, so that the wingtip of the RAF plane was a few metres from the V1, the airflow off of the RAF plane's wing would push the V1 over, and it's primitive control system could not counter the effect, so it would spin out of control and fall into the sea.

 

Firing guns at the flying bomb would lead to the V1s explosion destroying the RAF plane.

 

V1 interception is like defusing a bomb with a hedge trimmer while wearing boxing gloves.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Nope said:

 

V1 interception is like defusing a bomb with a hedge trimmer while wearing boxing gloves.

 

unless the pilot's aiming skills were like 100 CS:GO AWPers combined on adderol with aimbot hax so they could pinpoint shoot from 3 klicks out. now that's a pilot i'd want to see covered!

 

 

but yeah the V1 was seriously dangerous to even get near with that massive payload of amatol. at least the germans didn't use something as volatile and unstable as picric acid. 850 kilos of that would be terrifying*.

 

*assumes 850kg of amatol is too mainstream to be scary for you

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Admiral_Aruon said:

 

unless the pilot's aiming skills were like 100 CS:GO AWPers combined on adderol with aimbot hax so they could pinpoint shoot from 3 klicks out. now that's a pilot i'd want to see covered!

 

 

but yeah the V1 was seriously dangerous to even get near with that massive payload of amatol. at least the germans didn't use something as volatile and unstable as picric acid. 850 kilos of that would be terrifying*.

 

*assumes 850kg of amatol is too mainstream to be scary for you

 

What I'm worried about is that it's possible for the wing to hit the V-1 at a wrong angle and thus causing wing damage. This would not only have a chance for drag to shred it off afterwards, but also makes subsequent interception of other bombs very difficult.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Nope said:

 

What I'm worried about is that it's possible for the wing to hit the V-1 at a wrong angle and thus causing wing damage. This would not only have a chance for drag to shred it off afterwards, but also makes subsequent interception of other bombs very difficult.

 

I remember hearing something about some aircraft receiving strengthened wingtips just for this purpose. However I don't really remember when, where, or how good the source was.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.