barendd

Useless tailgunners

Why does tailgunners not shoot at enemy aircraft?

My crew is expert and my gunners are fully upgraded yet at 600m gunners don't shoot at the enemy aircraft. Target tracking range is 1.04km and shooting range is 740m.  The enemy are not in blind spots because when I take manual aim I can shoot them. I seriously think there should atleast be some action from the gunners. 

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal

Here's a little known secret about AI gunners.

Spoiler

If you lock on to the plane behind you, they will start firing from a further distance and stay on the target making it more likely to kill.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 3
medal medal medal

As we all know, the top German ace of the war had 352 confirmed kills. Does anyone know how many confirmed B-17 gunner aces there were? Just to look at the historical perspective that is. Think hard. Thousands of B-17's. Thousands of missions. Thousands of B-17 gunners..............5 confirmed US B-17 gunner aces. And the number doesn't go up very much for any other allied bomber. So is it historically accurate for a bomber gunner to get a kill very easily? Apparently not. And they had to shovel hundreds of pounds of spent shell casings after every mission to prep the plane for the next mission. Thousands upon thousands of .50 cal rounds fired.

Edited by cashmeowsidehbd

20 hours ago, ekg98 said:

He said it was fully upgraded.

So how do bomber gunners get so good they can make one shot kills? Years of practice i assume?

Sucks you have to put in a little bit of effort to defend yourself.  If only the game would play itself for you....

• Upvote 2

On June 25, 2017 at 6:49 PM, Yeoma said:

AI gunners shouldn't even exist in the game. Definitely the most stupid thing ever put in this game.

the validity of that opinion depends on whether you haven't seen a Tu4 exist on that game or lack of care about a healthy little form of realism, as in real life the gunners won't wait for pilots to finish steering the bomber to down an enemy plane shooting at the thing that prevents him from smacking into the ground at high speeds

medal medal

3 hours ago, LIGHTNINGG said:

......as in real life the gunners won't wait for pilots to finish steering the bomber to down an enemy plane shooting at the thing that prevents him from smacking into the ground at high speeds

And in real life they will fail to hit the broad side of a barn when firing under those circumstances.

1 hour ago, xBromanx said:

And in real life they will fail to hit the broad side of a barn when firing under those circumstances.

yup. As I said, only 5 B-17 gunner aces in the entire war. Most gunners where happy if they got just one kill in there 25 mission cycles. Oddly enough, I just saw a B-29 gunner ace-out in one mission. But he did clear out my teammates so I could kill him though.

On 6/24/2017 at 9:16 AM, cashmeowsidehbd said:

As we all know, the top German ace of the war had 352 confirmed kills. Does anyone know how many confirmed B-17 gunner aces there were? Just to look at the historical perspective that is. Think hard. Thousands of B-17's. Thousands of missions. Thousands of B-17 gunners..............5 confirmed US B-17 gunner aces. And the number doesn't go up very much for any other allied bomber. So is it historically accurate for a bomber gunner to get a kill very easily? Apparently not. And they had to shovel hundreds of pounds of spent shell casings after every mission to prep the plane for the next mission. Thousands upon thousands of .50 cal rounds fired.

but all of this is COMPLETELY irrelevant, because we're not talking about how it's hard for them to get a kill, we're talking about how they won't even fire at the enemy.

Coupled with the fact that arrays of tracers will stress the attacking pilot, and any damage to the plane might imply a RTB, which is not a victory, but I doubt that gunner will jump out with his MG to finish the kill.

In WT, damages are just a reason to tunnel vision more for the kill/payback, and the risk of being shot down is not really a reason to panick, as you can respawn for a new game soon.

But that's off topic a little 

31 minutes ago, brrtshka42 said:

but all of this is COMPLETELY irrelevant, because we're not talking about how it's hard for them to get a kill, we're talking about how they won't even fire at the enemy.

They don't? Then how are bombers killing me with one shot every mission? The pilots shooting at me?

22 minutes ago, cashmeowsidehbd said:

They don't? Then how are bombers killing me with one shot every mission? The pilots shooting at me?

Probably. Manning the guns yourself can be extremely effective.

medal medal medal

If they are not firing at all either they were killed or you turned them off.

There is a control for toggling gunners on and off. Mine isn't set to anything and I've no idea what yours may be set to.

I've no idea why Gaijin put this in unless they plan to link it to retracting turrets at some point.

medal medal medal medal medal medal

20 minutes ago, DarkHeart81 said:

I've no idea why Gaijin put this in unless they plan to link it to retracting turrets at some point.

Probably to enable the bomber pilot to avoid friendly fire if there's already a friendly fighter on the attacking enemy. My gunners have, in the past, accidentally shot down friendlies who were flying close to the enemy, so I appreciate that feature.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal

Regarding the B-17s.

What no US statistic covered is the number of german planes which aborted the mission due to damage. I know that some group of KG 51 (using the Me 410 iirc) was out of action after one sortie, as all planes had sustained heavy damage from gunners.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal