CaptainDyllanRex

ISU-152 - Questions, Information, Gameplay

I agree with you if you are saying this about the first link, but it doesn't apply to the second one. The L/71 was tested by Germans in Germany in proper conditions with the highest quality gun and ammo that they could find. The experience of gunners and the optics have nothing to do with the accuracy of the testing, they simply zero the gun to the distance of the target, aim in the middle and fire. These tests are conducted to get the best results possible, the Russians and Germans are not going to be using worn out battle scarred guns and faulty ammo for performance testing. The exception is when captured guns are used. And nobody is going to skew a document intended for the defense of their nation in order to please their superiors... Thats a load of xxxx.

800px-M2a3-bradley07.jpg

The above is an example of how far people will go to please their superiors (that IFV was in development for a few decades before it saw final testing phases and nearly got pushed through into production in the late 1980s with such delightful traits as aluminum armor, improper ammo storage, inadequate ventilation systems, faulty fuel tank design and more).

As for the second link: september 1944. I'd say a first generation L56 88mm would've been a better gauge of 88 accuracy even completely battleworn because the quality of german steel (used in ammo, guns and tank armor) was at best soviet quality by the middle of 1944 due to lack of resources and the destruction of the german industry.

• Upvote 2
medal

I understand what you two are saying here but there's few things that make me wonder:

-37mm stuka did attack t-34s at a nearly 90 degree angle in a sort of split S manouver so while it obviously had a much easier job with it's guns this shows that such attacks are not exactly impossible (tho surely uncommon). And they are definetly not impossible in-game, especially when done in arcade mode...

-il2s were taking pz4s and (rarer) tigers out with their 23mm guns by shooting their 10/25 (pz4/tiger) top armor at not nearly 90 degrees...

-there's a less known tactic used by p47 pilots in which they shoot their guns underneath tanks (including tiger tanks) hoping for the bullets to ricochet upwards and pierce the 25mm armor. Obviously penetrating power of their .50s were much worse than 20mm canons and even worse due to ricochets and yet i've read claims that it had worked...

-lastly - doesnt isu 152 have those huge air intakes at the back-end of it's engine compartments top-armor? those surely have to be easier to penetrate...

ISU152_3.jpg

Most tanks i know have those..

tiger-tank-21.jpg

King_Tiger_SW03.jpg?1276341790

I'm not saying I'm right about of this, but if a well thrown molotov can be enough to take out a tiger tank surely there has to be a spot to shoot/tactic to take out heavy tanks with otherwise inadequatte 20mm canons.

Many tanks were immune to the molotov cocktail. This tactic only worked in the winter war with small, soviet T26's wich had vurnable ventilation

medal medal

Well I'm done with my Screenshotting for a while I put to much up I don't want to annoy anyone :yes:

[attachment=25893:2013-09-14_00017.jpg]

[attachment=25894:2013-09-14_00018.jpg]

[attachment=25895:2013-09-14_00019.jpg]

But this is cool I found German Soldiers

[attachment=25896:2013-09-14_00023.jpg]

Anyways Hope you enjoy,

Finland :salute:

• Upvote 6

... ILs used PTABs against medium/heavy tanks, cause rockets and guns was completly ineffective.

That does make me wonder if PTABs and similar munitions will be added to attacker/bomber loadouts once tanks are added...

medal medal

Nice to see the ISU-152 with the short gun and not with the BL-10 that the ISU-152-2 had

• Upvote 3

800px-M2a3-bradley07.jpg

The above is an example of how far people will go to please their superiors (that IFV was in development for a few decades before it saw final testing phases and nearly got pushed through into production in the late 1980s with such delightful traits as aluminum armor, improper ammo storage, inadequate ventilation systems, faulty fuel tank design and more).

As for the second link: september 1944. I'd say a first generation L56 88mm would've been a better gauge of 88 accuracy even completely battleworn because the quality of german steel (used in ammo, guns and tank armor) was at best soviet quality by the middle of 1944 due to lack of resources and the destruction of the german industry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XtlQn5lmTk

If anyone hasnt seen pentagon wars, shame on you watch it.

medal medal

The German Steel quality dodn't go down since most of the german tanks was not even built in German steel it was built on Swedish steel there is a reason why Germany didn't invade Sweden couse we said that we were going to blow up the mines that supplied germany with steel.

As well as the picure about the Bradley M2 was trubbelsome couse US wanted as well a APC and not an IFV. As well as the things you say about it the aluminum armor, ammo storage and such the vent's I have no idea about but well guess it had that probel as well. even thou it was driven by good well trained crew witch makes the Tank. Since it also took out more Tank's then the M1 Abrams thx to the UK's TOW missile system it has.

Well and about the accurcy of the guns it was all in a none warzone enviroment where a lot can change even how good accurcy the Russians had on test runs they still got the repitation of bad aimng as well as the Germans said "Don't worry about the first shot they always miss" even thou this thing will probabaly not be in the game or well depends on how good the player is on aiming.

The German Steel quality dodn't go down since most of the german tanks was not even built in German steel it was built on Swedish steel there is a reason why Germany didn't invade Sweden couse we said that we were going to blow up the mines that supplied germany with steel.

swedish iron. But you need other chemical components for armour-grade alloys, it's not all about the quality grade of the iron you mine...

medal medal

swedish iron. But you need other chemical components for armour-grade alloys, it's not all about the quality grade of the iron you mine...

Didn't the Germans reinforce their RHA with special minerals?

medal

No idea about that but I would not be supriced if they did, Since they count German armor to be 20-40 % more effective then allied armor so they probably have done something to it.

I don't know the precise composition of German armour, i'm sure some guys around here would be capable of finding it ^^

but typically chromium and molybdenum are used in such alloys.

I just meant that having good quality iron from Sweden wouldn't be sufficient to have good quality armour at the end of the day.

medal medal

The german armor on the early and mid war (up to end 1942) had an hardened surface and were made "elastic" by molybdenum. Later, when they run out of molybdenum they only hardened the armor, but that hat the effect, that it became brittle. In the end war time (from 1944) they dont hardened the most armor too and theire steel quaility drop to the same level as the British.

medal

The german armor on the early and mid war (up to end 1942) had an hardened surface and were made "elastic" by molybdenum. Later, when they run out of molybdenum they only hardened the armor, but that hat the effect, that it became brittle. In the end war time (from 1944) they dont hardened the most armor too and theire steel quaility drop to the same level as the British.

True, even King Tiger's armor was know to just break out of sheer explosion of D-25 gun shot.

medal medal medal

Well the D-25 122mm AT cannon breaks basicly whatever it shoots against thats how many russian heavy caliber guns work they break it more then peirce it. Same goes for the ISU-152 with it's 152 mm ML-20 and then the later the ISU-152-2 with it's BL10 152mm these guns breaks armor and leave not much behind.

Compare to the US,UK and the Germans who use lower caliber but higher velocity like the 76mm and 90 mm US guns and the 17" pounder as well as the 25" pounder that the UK used and then the German guns who was 88mm and in rare cases 128mm (JagTiger and Sturer Emil but these pritty much destroyed tanks completley or went straight throu).

WittmannTigerWreck.jpg

000447-142-turret-hit-wreck-Beja.jpeg000483-823-833-wreck-Beja.jpeg

To use of blackpowder: "and have a propellant charge of 35-38g of improoved 4/7 Tsgr smokeless powder. "

Well it was a Tiger tank at one time. :)s

medal medal medal

As well as the picure about the Bradley M2 was trubbelsome couse US wanted as well a APC and not an IFV. As well as the things you say about it the aluminum armor, ammo storage and such the vent's I have no idea about but well guess it had that probel as well. even thou it was driven by good well trained crew witch makes the Tank. Since it also took out more Tank's then the M1 Abrams thx to the UK's TOW missile system it has.

Well and about the accurcy of the guns it was all in a none warzone enviroment where a lot can change even how good accurcy the Russians had on test runs they still got the repitation of bad aimng as well as the Germans said "Don't worry about the first shot they always miss" even thou this thing will probabaly not be in the game or well depends on how good the player is on aiming.

LOL, Germany lost control of Belarus Magnesium Mine and Ukrainian Nickel mine in early 1944, which forced them to use high-carbon hardened steel which is highly brittle steel. Your precious tiger tank is made of Rolled homogeneous nickel-steel plate armor.

Please, don't say anything if you know nothing.

No idea about that but I would not be supriced if they did, Since they count German armor to be 20-40 % more effective then allied armor so they probably have done something to it.

20~40% more effective? please just Keep this to yourself. 

• Upvote 3

LOL, Germany lost control of Belarus Magnesium Mine and Ukrainian Nickel mine in early 1944, which forced them to use high-carbon hardened steel which is highly brittle steel. Your precious tiger tank is made of Rolled homogeneous nickel-steel plate armor.

Please, don't say anything if you know nothing.

20~40% more effective? please just Keep this to yourself. 

Go and get some fact before you say something. The allied even planed to invade Sweden couse of the amount of iron ore we supplied Germany with. This trade was so important that Germany Sacrificed a lot to not let anything happening to the convoy's you can see this in many cases of allied and german reports defending and attacking these convoy's.

read here as well. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweden_in_World_War_II#Possible_Allied_invasion

That with the effective armor was in a quality in 1942. I know the quality bacame a lot worse when they started losing, witch make a lot of sence. but still compare it to the T-34 it was not built in high quality steel it was made in steel that was the fastest way to get and to be able to make as many as possible. wile German had very good armor controls of there tanks. This with the 20-40 was in the quality betvin russian armor and german since Russians was the only ones to get in a lot of Heavy tanks and since US and UK mostly was strickted to mediums who ussualy gets knocked out in one hit.

Edited by Shade_Shadow

There are reports of King Tiger hulls cracking from non penetrating hits during 1945.

Would be No suprice since what they have said that the Germans lacked the kemicals to make good and proper armor out of the iron. But I don't think they will include that in the game.