Type 2 Ka-to  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Ka-to be added to the game?

• Yes
    • Yes, as prenium/gift/events vehicles
    • No

wallpaper-349563.jpg

i would like to suggest the Japanese Experimental SPG, the Type 5 Ka-to

kato.jpg

The type 5 Ka-to was an experimental tank that was built for one single purpose, to destroy American tank in an ultimate battle to come in the Japanese homeland. the Ka-to was designed in June 1943, it was meant to be an open-top 105mm gun carrier that could mix mobility and fire power that was lacking to fight the American army in ww2. in general it was very similar to the Na-to as it is in the game. the tank would be very vulnerable to the airplane and couldn't stand direct guns hit and can barely resist to heavy machine gun. the concept behind that SPG was to sacrifice everything to carry the gun. a single prototype was half finish by the Mitsubishi industry when the war ended and the Ka-to would had send directly to the defense if it would had got the chance.

kato_2.jpg

The Ka-to was a similar to the Na-to in many part of his design, the 400hp engine was in the front, the driver was in the right side of the tank, the gun was in the middle, an platform for the gun crew was in the back. on the paper, the Ka-to would had been about 30tons and presumably reaches a speed of 40km/h. the type 5 105mm gun had a penetration of 150mm with a 16kg APHE and 175mm AP at 1000m (Data need for the gun) a crew of 4-5 men would be used to man the gun which the driver and the commander for a total of 6-7men for this tank. the ammunition was carried in a compartment behind the gun. a space for a radio was also planed in a back comparment. the gun would had have a transverse of 45 degree lateral and -10/20 of elevation. the armore was thin, 25mm in the front and 20mm in the side and rear. just enought to resist to small arms.

EMq3ruA.png

Specifications

Weight 30 tons
Length 7.40 m (7.56 m with the gun)
Width 2.86 m
Height 2.85m
Crew 6-7

Armor 20–25 mm
Main
armament
1x 10cm type 5 gun
Secondary
armament
none
Engine Mitsubishi 400 hp
Speed 40km/h

Caliber 105mm
Elevation -10 to +20 degrees
Traverse 45°

Source

http://www.warbirds.jp/ats/mfg/3d/g/kato.html

http://ftr.wot-news.com/2014/07/09/japanese-tank-destroyers-part-ii/

http://www.mmowg.net/japanese-tank-destroyer-ka-to/

Link to other Japanese SPG

Hide contents

Please note that many mistake the Type 5 Ka-to with the Type 95 Hiro-Sha

Edited by CaID
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 33
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Yes definitely should be added. +1

medal medal medal medal

6 hours ago, Results45 said:

Already included in the proposed definitive Japanese tech tree (Tier 4, 2nd line, 2nd vehicle under the TD line):

15091905535452453.png

;) :004_2:

well more than half of those who are in that list and not yet in the game seem to be paper panzer and i don't see any proposal on the Ka-To. simply put an image in this tree and saying it was a Japanese tank isn't very reliable for proposition.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, CaID said:

well more than half of those who are in that list and not yet in the game seem to be paper panzer and i don't see any proposal on the Ka-To. simply put an image in this tree and saying it was a Japanese tank isn't very reliable for proposition.

Besides it being my own tree (years ago), and I propose the vehicles to Gaijin with respective documentation. 

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3
medal medal medal

3 hours ago, Mai_Waffentrager said:

Besides it being my own tree (years ago), and I propose the vehicles to Gaijin with respective documentation. 

nothing like a crowd to please

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

5 hours ago, Mai_Waffentrager said:

interesting claim. maybe you should send a message to either Blakeob or Sauber_Kh7 to check if each vehicles that you suggested was indeed sourced enough to be received as a suggestion and those who are well documented and sourced, should be individually Archived by Smin1080p. they are all very active admin and i do contact them from time to time and they usually respond in the same day.

from what i see half of those who aren't in the game yet, are either Paper Panzer (tank prototype or design that never left the draw table) or possible fake tank (made up tank or made up tank variant that was never planed but may had been possible to built.), having credible blue print is good but without certification it's hard to see what is true or not. so many fan-made concept and misunderstanding of other tanks. misunderstanding are often coming from interpretation of some picture or from some wrong tank name, for exemple i often saw the Experimental Hiro-sha SPG (who was made from the one of the type 95) was often called the Type 2 Ka-to in some forum about WOT. only a few seem to had notice the mistake, the mistake get to spread and people take it for the truth and a Fake tank is born.

in your blog you mention the the Ho-Ri was built and 5 was ordered and 50% finished by the end of the war. however there is neither picture or prove there was actually built. in the book Japanese Armor Vol. 5  of Andrzej  omczyk it's said that no prototype was ever built. this is because of those controversial claim that i like to check the source on both side to see wich one seem to be right.

on a side i have you who is someone from the internet and who run a blog which is well done and do have a lot of interesting info, on the other side i see a writer who had did historical research to write his book. he may be wrong, but i know he is a writer and did published a book out of his work. compare to some dude on the internet, he seem more plausible. but a writer may be wrong and everyone can write a book, it's just more serious than a blog. so it's good to check any way.

by the way, it would also be nice to see some source in your blog. i read it from from time to time trying to get what is credible and what is not. sometime i worry about where the info come from and i like to check it on my side.

• Confused 2
  • Upvote 2

Can I ask what that tl:dr blog post has to do with the suggestion other than calling Mai out for some reason?

On the vehicle I support it as it would help flesh out the Japanese tree.

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

5 minutes ago, RexLuporum said:

Can I ask what that tl:dr blog post has to do with the suggestion other than calling Mai out for some reason?

On the vehicle I support it as it would help flesh out the Japanese tree.

nothing, i wanted to ask him about his source for personal knowledge. since he have a blog and did suggest the Japanese tree. i was wondering if his source was the same from the blog and the tree. because i find no clue about certain tank in that tree. so i come to think they may be fake tank or paper prototype. so i would like to learn more about them and he seem to have his own source. it's like candy for me.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, CaID said:

interesting claim. maybe you should send a message to either Blakeob or Sauber_Kh7 to check if each vehicles that you suggested was indeed sourced enough to be received as a suggestion and those who are well documented and sourced, should be individually Archived by Smin1080p. they are all very active admin and i do contact them from time to time and they usually respond in the same day.

I dont report to Blake, Sauber, or Smin. I work with the Developers directly. Nothing on the forum relates to me and what I do with Gaijin. Me being here at all is on my own time.

1 hour ago, CaID said:

from what i see half of those who aren't in the game yet, are either Paper Panzer (tank prototype or design that never left the draw table) or possible fake tank (made up tank or made up tank variant that was never planed but may had been possible to built.), having credible blue print is good but without certification it's hard to see what is true or not.

And how much do you know besides what you find on wikipedia?

1 hour ago, CaID said:

however there is neither picture or prove there was actually built. in the book Japanese Armor Vol. 5  of Andrzej  omczyk it's said that no prototype was ever built. this is because of those controversial claim that i like to check the source on both side to see wich one seem to be right.

Of which author is Polish and has never actually been to Japan, yes, I know who he is. And yes photography does exist with Japan's national archives and the right people have them.

1 hour ago, CaID said:

on a side i have you who is someone from the internet and who run a blog which is well done and do have a lot of interesting info, on the other side i see a writer who had did historical research to write his book. he may be wrong, but i know he is a writer and did published a book out of his work. compare to some dude on the internet, he seem more plausible. but a writer may be wrong and everyone can write a book, it's just more serious than a blog. so it's good to check any way.

I'm not too concerned who a random person likes to think. My job has been long since known and the audience in which my blog is aimed know this already. Anyone can be an author, I and my colleague are leasing our own in the upcoming year. Its not about authorship, its about who contains the actual documentation to back it up.

1 hour ago, CaID said:

did suggest the Japanese tree. i was wondering if his source was the same from the blog and the tree. because i find no clue about certain tank in that tree. so i come to think they may be fake tank or paper prototype. so i would like to learn more about them and he seem to have his own source. it's like candy for me.

Smin has confirmed my position before on the forum as a better reference as what I do and what I do with Gaijin has no relation here. To clear up my position. 

zAVIYjt.png

I acted as the original person to get Japan into the game, with that tree. Gaijin asked me to work with them over a year ago to help build Japan ingame in terms of their ground forces, and I have done that since.  Why I am used as their source instead of some books like you brought up should be apparent. I'm the one who goes to Japan on a semi-regular schedule to get the documentation on things I talk about. 

• Upvote 9
medal medal medal

2 hours ago, CaID said:

nothing, i wanted to ask him about his source for personal knowledge. since he have a blog and did suggest the Japanese tree. i was wondering if his source was the same from the blog and the tree. because i find no clue about certain tank in that tree. so i come to think they may be fake tank or paper prototype. so i would like to learn more about them and he seem to have his own source. it's like candy for me.

1 hour ago, Mai_Waffentrager said:

Why I am used as their source instead of some books like you brought up should be apparent. I'm the one who goes to Japan on a semi-regular schedule to get the documentation on things I talk about. 

To be exact, Eun Ae Sun (aka "Mai") has access to the much if not the entire Japanese National Archives ;) :salute:

• Upvote 7
medal medal medal

There's always the Japanese Wikipedia page on the Ka-To if you want to find more info. From there, there are a couple webpages listed as sources for information on the Type 5 10cm cannon:

http://www.warbirds.jp/kunimoto/type51/10 Cannon.htm

http://www.warbirds.jp/kunimoto/type51/sub11.htm

Also, here's some more images I found, though they're just higher-resolution versions of the one in the OP.

Experimental105mm_anti-tank_self-propell

Experimental_105mm_anti-tank_self-propel

Experimental_105mm_anti-tank_self-propel

bzMiYAE.jpg

4OLp8th.jpg

Also a recreation of what i would've looked like: 

ncfw2vy164fy.png

Edited by Tasty95215
  • Upvote 5

+1 Yes please this would go great in the TD line

However, I still wish I could have the Ho-Ri I with the unsloped hull, despite it being paper.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 2
medal medal

2 minutes ago, *BrentD15 said:

+1 Tier IV TD!

somewhere before the Ho-Ri

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, *BrentD15 said:

+1 Tier IV TD!

I could see it being tier III after the Na-To. That thing is obsolete as soon as you get a Chi-To

• Upvote 3
medal medal

On 5/2/2018 at 4:08 PM, Slipslime said:

I could see it being tier III after the Na-To. That thing is obsolete as soon as you get a Chi-To

I couldn't agree more. I think this SPG should be in line with the Ch-Ri and just a bit after the Chi-To.

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal

9 hours ago, Admiral_Aruon said:

still all for this. the Ka-To is a derp gunned Na-To. and derp guns are always fun to see.

Except it's not a "derp gun". It is a dedicated anti-tank cannon. Nothing like a KV-2, SP II, Ho-Ro, etc.

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 5/8/2018 at 11:40 AM, DebtlessWalnut said:

Except it's not a "derp gun". It is a dedicated anti-tank cannon. Nothing like a KV-2, SP II, Ho-Ro, etc.

I beg to differ, the Ho-Ro is a dedicated anti-tank gun! it can take down any tank.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal