Doylie

Where are Domination and Air Domination in AB?

14 posts in this topic

HI, I'm a new player (about 100 AB matches). I'm really enjoying the game and the challenge of learning manuevers.

But AB is becoming a bit monotonous. Its ground strike mode EVERY time.

The other modes listed in the wiki sound interesting and would break things up a bit.  https://wiki.warthunder.com/index.php?title=AB

Wouldn't mind so much if ground strike had more variety to it but all the missions are very similar there also and don't encourage much team work.

Was it a conscious decision to drop the Domination and Air Domination modes from the game, and if so why?

BlueBeta (Posted )

moved to: general discussion>Game mode discussions>Arcade Battle

Posted (edited)

Domination and air domination are still in AB, they're just not as common as ground strike, at least in my experience. And I agree with you. There's a bit too much ground strike, IMO. Domination used to be a very common mode to find yourself in. Now, not so much, it seems. And it's just as bad with maps: I get Cliffed Coast and Gorge all the bloody time. It's getting quite annoying.

Edited by Arvenski

New players will only see a few maps when they start in a tech tree of a nation. Once you unlock tier II aircraft you will see more maps and different game modes. I think the starters only get ground strike with light vehicles. Later you can get domination, air domination, front line and ground strike with medium and heavy tanks.

6 hours ago, MrTommi said:

New players will only see a few maps when they start in a tech tree of a nation. Once you unlock tier II aircraft you will see more maps and different game modes. I think the starters only get ground strike with light vehicles. Later you can get domination, air domination, front line and ground strike with medium and heavy tanks.

I been playing for a while and I get Ground Strike 90% of the time all the way to 6.7BR, I think we need a lot more Domination matches  Im sick to death of Ground Strike -Front Line, they good but its over kill all the time and very monotonous game after game, I would much rather a sequential cycling of each mode than random where its long runs of one game type, nobody could complain if every mode was played the same amount of times as its fair for everyone who plays the game.

On 21/05/2017 at 6:09 AM, vanVoort said:

People complained to high heaven about Air Dom, so it got cut right out of rotation.

That's odd.

As a new player, I'ld love to play way more Air Domination than ground strikes: I find Domination more stimulating than shooting IA on the ground... and, even if I still have much to learn, I love to play fighters and dogfight ;) 

4 hours ago, Lbb89 said:

That's odd.

As a new player, I'ld love to play way more Air Domination than ground strikes: I find Domination more stimulating than shooting IA on the ground... and, even if I still have much to learn, I love to play fighters and dogfight ;) 

Then don't shoot AI, shoot those who shoot AI :D.

On 5/18/2017 at 9:45 AM, Doylie said:

But AB is becoming a bit monotonous. Its ground strike mode EVERY time.

The other modes listed in the wiki sound interesting and would break things up a bit.  https://wiki.warthunder.com/index.php?title=AB

The wiki only points out 'Ground Strike' there is also 'Front Line', both are bomber modes these two modes seem to take up about 2/3 of matches. I suspect bad fighter pilots like this mode as they can get an easy kill or two of a ground focused player before dying.

Domination or 'Airfield Domination' as I like to call it is a mixed mode for fighters and bombers. I see this mode quite a bit, probably almost 1/3.

'Air Domination' is a pure fighter mode and is very rare. I saw one a few days ago and it was a few months before that since I had seen one. It is widely said on this forum it is low on rotation because people complain, this may be true but as Gaijin doesn't make statements about it so the exact reason is unknown.

It is reasonable to believe the map rotation is effected by Gaijin's internal data. When I get an 'Air Domination' map there are always complaints in chat and a couple people leave the match instantly. I suspect players who have bomber focused lineups are quick to leave an 'Air Domination' map.

On 5/21/2017 at 5:09 AM, vanVoort said:

People complained to high heaven about Air Dom, so it got cut right out of rotation.

This.

It didn't pander to people who:

• want to attack dumb AI on the ground
  • can't be bothered to learn air combat skills

Ground Strike and Frontline seem redundant. Objectives are all the same save for the pretty lightshow down the ground on Frontline in the beginning. 

Domination's uncommon but not rare for me at 2.7 so far.